Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies

G
Gwen posted on Fri, Apr 12, 2013 7:36 AM

Robb, I love your work so much that I wrote you a swooning fan email. I hope you got it. I think you are the god of velvet.

TM

Though I have been on this forum for over 10 years now, for some reason I never checked out this thread. This is incredible stuff! Wow!

RH

Yes - I finished the architectural piece, "...A Cool Pad, Baby 4". This one was a long, long road (about 4 months), but I feel that it is a real evolution of the original piece I did in 2008.

I also finished the fourth and final copy of the "Tiki Vignette 3", which I did over about 3 weeks. This is one of my favorite pieces to do. It is really, really cool to look at in good light, thanks to the super-luminous paints by Windsor Newton.

This pic shows how I have to work in the middle of a ton a chalk dust and guess how it's gonna look after it is cleaned off.

More chalk dust, and a ton of cadmium red dark.

Here are the two finished pieces:

"...A Cool Pad, Baby 4" - 24"x36" - oil on velvet.

Closeup of left half.

Closeup of right half.

Closeup of sky area. The stars of slightly visible at this range.

"Tiki Vignette 3" - 4 of 4 (final copy) - 36"x18" - oil on velvet.

I guess I've gotten motivated here. It might be a while before I turn out another piece, but I have one I'm working on that oughta be pretty cool. Thanks everyone for the incredible support.

You guys are the greatest.

Robb, that "Cool Pad" turned so awesome! Absolutely beautiful. A small group of us were sitting around Mojave Oasis a few weeks ago talking about how amazing your art is :D

OK I will trade you my car for that!
you want a slave i'll get you slave, that's how cool that is!!!!!

Wow.

And once again, Wow.

HT

Now that they're wrapped up, feel free to ship them to my house, postage due.

Awesome..
Hanging on your walls or did they sell n ship to some lucky Tiki Peps?

Jon

HowZ about a teaZer pic on next project...

S

Robb I have to say I love the yellow hibiscus painting I bought from you a few years back but my ultimate goal is to own one of those gorgeous architectural pieces.

Considering I know how much they drive you crazy to paint because of those super straight lines I thought I would give you fair warning!

Beautiful red tiki in that vignette as well.

Nice to have you back!

YEEEEEEAH Robb!

What a welcome sight after your Hibernation!
you Amaze me,Chum!
wowz...

Robb Hamel = Art Ecstasy. It is pure pleasure to view your work, Wendy

C
cy posted on Fri, May 3, 2013 3:58 PM

Unreal work Robb Hamel!

The only word adequate is BREATHTAKING! Wow. Your work is just unreal.

You are a master of Black Velvet! Bravo! (thread bump)

Dang Slacks I thought Robb was posting an update!

Hopefully Robb has e-mail reminders turned on for this thread and we'll wake him up :D

TM

I hope everything is okay. I happened to notice Robb's web site is no longer active.

http://www.robbhamel.com/

I've lurked here for almost a year, checking this thread periodically for signs of activity. Have I missed an update on some other part of the forum?

I'm absolutely enamored with Mr. Hamel's work and hope that he's well.

Sadly Robb hasn't been around in 2 1/2 years and his personal web site hasn't been updated either. I tried to message him and e-mail him a few months back but no response :(

Have you tried contacting DaddyKatz in Ohio. He used to sell items at that store.

https://www.facebook.com/DaddyKatz

Thanks MH, I remember that now. I dropped Daddy Katz a line and he said Robb is doing well, he's just taking a break right now and hopes to get back into art soon :)

Day jobs SUCK!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies