Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies

K

Aloha Robb - Don Tiki's new CD came out on Monday, with your artwork on the CD, interior and back cover. Would you show us the originals? Were the paintings done especially for the album, or did they use existing art? I'd love to hear details of how the commission came about and your thoughts about how it turned out.

I think it looks great - congratulations!

LLT: MAN, YOU ARE CRAZY! "Groundskeeper"!! You should have a column of your own somewhere. I'd read it.

Koolau: Thanks for asking, I'll post the info on your "New Don Tiki Album" thread in Tiki Music, or click here http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34029&forum=11&2.

You should have a column of your own somewhere. I'd read it.

Dreams come true,Robb!
:)

Ask Little Lost Tiki Absolutely Anything!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32779&forum=13&start=0&152

Thanks, my man. I didn't know that you had that goin', obviously.

This site is soooo big....

Koolau asked me about my participation in the new Don Tiki album a while back and I posted the whole story in the music area. Since I am still trying to pull my life back together, I thought I'd post a compressed version here.

Lloyd Kandell, who is one of the two founders/producers of Don Tiki contacted me in April about using one of my pieces for the new album. I could tell immediately that he was an absolutely terrific guy, so much so that I trusted him enough to send him the initial image he wanted before we had finished hammering out a deal, without being asked to! I'm still surprised at how nice it was to work with him.

Lloyd sent me an email that I didn't see for a few days requesting some other images they were considering. These needed to be shown at a specific time to the albums designer, Craig Okino. I checked the date and time he needed the new pics, looked up the Honolulu time, and realized he needed them in about 40 minutes!! So I went into Insane Desperate Slowpoke Artist In High Gear mode and got him the files a few minutes before he walked out the door.

These are the uncropped images of the paintings that were chosen:

Here's the final look:

The designer of the packaging is Craig Okino. He did a very nice job with the intensely dark look Lloyd wanted. Damn, I just noticed I didn't photograph the cover! It is a seductive pic of singer Sherry Shaoling with "the girls" hanging part way out of her top!

The music is unmistakably Don Tiki. Which means that it has a distinctly theatrical quality - when I listen to it I can't help but get mental images of live performers standing in spotlights, scenery flats being moved for each song, colored lights, and curtains opening and closing.

The super, super silky sound is absolutely seductive on a good stereo. It almost sounds like Sherry Shaoling is about to stick her wet tongue in your ear!!

Thank you Lloyd and company for a great and happy experience working with you and for giving us a new and hot-blooded piece of art.

Big thanks Koolau for asking about my tiny part.

http://www.robbhamel.com

Sold velvets have been cleared
out to make room for new stuff.

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2009-10-15 08:45 ]

Right on Robb! Too cool!
What a great project to be a part of.
Congrats and hope you are on the road to recovery.

So now your art is featured with Sherry Shaoling and the girls :o , how cool is that?!!!

Great work Robb

Makes me wish big albums were still around!
Like that foldout ELO and live WINGS one
or total super foldout Black Moses!
I imagine that the mixture of viewing your art and hearing the music
will transport the listener to mysterious shores!
Would looove an album sized poster of that!
(i think CDs were invented to eliminate albums so we'd have to BUY posters for our walls
instead of just tacking up my Cat Scratch Fever and Nazareth hair of the Dog up there!)
Congratulations!
Luminism!

Congrats Robb!!!

That's very cool seeing your artwork on new media, and a ton of exposure for your creativity!

I agree with Ken, a classic old school album would be the tops with your art complimenting it!

Thanks guys. I hope everyone gives the album a listen, it a helluva piece of work, very non-traditional, very Don Tiki.

Iokona - Thanks Jason, the best part was working with someone who is a cool guy. I don't like dealing with sleazebags. I'd sure like to see them advertise here on TC, though.

MadDog - What better place to be snuggled in is there?

LLT - Hair of the Dog? Now you're talking! I miss LPs too, it was such a big rush to get a new album by a favorite band and have NO idea of what was inside. CDs have proven themselves to be a perfect addition to disposable culture.

Lake Surfer - I agree completely and will put it this way: LET'S SEE NEW EXOTICA RELEASED ON VINYL LIKE THE CLASSICS WERE!!

V

You know, I surely wish I could have my album on vinyl, and I'm sure all the new exotica bands would too, but it's really expensive, and you have to be sure to sell a good number to invest on that format.
Although, Waitiki did a fantastic job with their second album on vinyl, so it's possible, for limited edition, cause it's surely better to show your art than a cd.

Thanks, Virani.

My guess is that Exotica vinyl would sell well. We are extremely Retro-minded, and what is cooler retro than vinyl?

Robb, I got ALL EXCITED because I thought you had posted new art. WTH? :D

T

Thanks Robb! I love that inside story stuff.
Can't wait to see what you cook up next.

I wanna see a Billy D willams drinking Colt 45 velvet!!!

On 2009-10-15 08:41, Robb Hamel wrote:
Damn, I just noticed I didn't photograph the cover! It is a seductive pic of singer Sherry Shaoling with "the girls" hanging part way out of her top!

Will you be posting the cover pic, Robb? :D

This one?

Ohlala!

Thanks Mike, I haven't had the time to post a cover pic.

Mike, earlier you mentioned me doing new art... sorry, I know I should be able to deal with "the-end-of-everything-I've-ever-cared-for" catastrophe and still create art, you are sure blessed in that way, but I'm not. Things look liked they'll be back on track in the next few weeks, and then we'll see...

In they meantime I'm planning on doing some black paper sketches to get back into the groove, probably with colored pencil. The toughest part is that I've gotta make them not look like Tobunga's outstanding work!

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Finally, a new post!

I did these two a little while back and haven't been able to post them. They are simple, small sketches I did for fun.

I hope you like them.

"Tiki Still 2" - 11x14" - black velvet.

"Tiki Still 3" - 11x14" - black velvet.

Glad to see you haven't lost your touch! Hope all is well with you Robb.

Ferk YAH!
TikiStill #3 is a Beaut!
it just stands solidly there amidst the background
powerfully planted and lookin TIGHT!
You got the glow,my man!
You should do at least 2-3 of these a week!
paper IS cheaper than velvet,y'know!

any plans for a crying Elvis series?

L

"simple" isn't the word I would use for those Robb.

Amazing is more like it! Glad to see you posting some new stuff

T

Robb it was great to see you and Lorie last night!
And the painting my wife commissioned you to do for
me is the BEST!
I love it!!
Will show pic's when I get them.
You may have some that are better than I can do.
Got to get the lighting right to show this one.
Good to see you painting again!!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2009-12-13 09:42 ]

T

Ok here it is.
Pic is not bad.
I love the Witco style letters you made.
Going to make a bamboo frame for it.
Thanks Robb!!!

L

What the hell!?That is awesome! I think your wife should have Robb do one for me also :wink:

Thanks for sharing. Be sure to post when you get it framed.

Swanky velvet!

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2009-12-14 11:47 ]

Robb, you continue to be a real inspiration to me. (not to mention all-around good guy).
Just awesome.

O.k.,
I just messed in my pants... again! Every time you come up with a new piece, I have to buy new underwear, dammitt!
Robb, your work is still the most fantastic velvets I've ever had the priviledge to behold!

Love that Tiki Still 2 piece, outstanding! The CD art looks great as well.

Thanks everyone SO, SO MUCH.

I now have my life back after 4 months and am trying to get back into the swing of creating.

Tiki Skip's wonderful wife Barbara commissioned this piece for him for X-mas. Even though I had sworn off art while I tried to pick up the Broken Pieces, the two of them had been supportive through the hard times and I was determined to do this one for them.

Here is my black paper sketch. I waffled and sketched for about a week before deciding to use a Witco-ized version of the font that Sam Gambino had used for Tiki Skip's very cool business card. The idea is to focus on the letters but give the impression of Tiki interior design, where John's (Skip's) lights belong.

I parked my easel next to my South-facing front window so I could get a decent amount of light, although the sun had set here.

The finished article. I tried to create something that sold John's Tiki name but still had enough visual interest to give it depth. I was very concerned about doing that bamboo background, but am glad I found the courage.

I didn't sign the piece on the front because I didn't want my name to compete, but John and Barb want it signed, so I'm not done yet!

DAMN - after looking at these pics, I can't believe how much the sketch looks like the final painting!

TikiSkip is sooooooo Lucky to have such a wonderful wife
commission such a wonderful piece!
It DOES look like the sketch!
(and that's usually a rarity!)
One piece of advice.....
paint in the garage...
your home looks too neat and swankky
to get paint on the carpet!

didja get that FUNK CD yet?

The velvet is perfection! But Im geeking out on your swanky mid century pad.
Its not just the piece you have , but the way you've placed them, I just want to see more.

T

On 2009-11-17 15:47, Robb Hamel wrote:
In they meantime I'm planning on doing some black paper sketches to get back into the groove, probably with colored pencil. The toughest part is that I've gotta make them not look like Tobunga's outstanding work!

Hey Robb!

That's funny, every time a do a black paper drawing, I secretly think to myself, "Does it look like it could be in the same room with a Robb Hamel painting and not look like a scribble?" The answer always no, but I keep plugging away anyway.

Your work is always an inspiration! Congrats on the Don Tiki artwork, it looks incredible, as usual!

L

On 2009-12-29 19:50, tobunga wrote:
Hey Robb!

That's funny, every time a do a black paper drawing, I secretly think to myself, "Does it look like it could be in the same room with a Robb Hamel painting and not look like a scribble?" The answer always no, but I keep plugging away anyway.

Not to hijack your thread Robb but Eric enough of that talk...you are selling yourself and your skills short guy!

T

Robb I love your work!!
I hope you have not lost your passion for painting velvets
because you are very good at them.
Keep painting Robb, I can't wait to see your next one!!!
A while back making lights got me out of my funk (yes this is happy John, belive it or not)
You and your wife are great we always have a blast around you two.
My wife Barb is the best and it was a great gift!!!
I would not trade it for a Piccaso.
So keep up the good work!!
And thanks again!

On 2009-10-25 07:53, Robb Hamel wrote:
Thanks guys. I hope everyone gives the album a listen, it a helluva piece of work, very non-traditional, very Don Tiki.

LLT - Hair of the Dog? Now you're talking! I miss LPs too, it was such a big rush to get a new album by a favorite band and have NO idea of what was inside. CDs have proven themselves to be a perfect addition to disposable culture.

Oh yeah! Looking at albums in a music store was sort of like going to a pop art gallery!
I think a black velvet version of the KISS destroyer album would rawk! Oh well, you're right
Robb, what do kids look at now? Small CD covers, or worse the tiny tiny window on thier I pod
for download only albums?

Great Job on the Don Tiki album anyways! Love it!

Thanks everyone!

I'm still trying to get my mojo back. Sorry it's taking so long but things are still a challenge and my soul and body DESPERATELY need to recharge.

I promise I'll get something on here soon if no more disaster happens, but it may not be velvet art.

Thanks tribe.

These are great! They would translate into some cool fashion prints. Awesome job!
Post more soon.
Cheers

Hoping all is well with my friend, Robb.
Miss seeing you and your incredible talents around here lately. Sending you a PM.

V
virani posted on Mon, Mar 8, 2010 1:02 AM

Awesome work Robb, as always. As a early fan, I really hope you'll keep doing these amazing paintings and get your mojo back.
Take Care.

Rob, whatever time it takes to get over hardship, one WILL get over it. You can't "speed it up", it takes its own time. But one thing is for sure: You will never loose your talent, no one can take that from you.

Thanks VERY, VERY MUCH everyone!!

TCers are the ABSOLUTE BEST PEOPLE I know.

I'm hoping to get my mojo back sometime soon...

Until then, here is an amazing stove I bought and have been trying to get here since May 2009:

This is the closed position of the cooktop drawer.

It's open and ready to go.

This is the double oven. The doors open upward!

LOVE that stove I've been trying to find one of those for my house too. Lucky!

WOWEEE - what a stove - would love one of those for my art studio/lounge - super cool Robb!

That range is SO HOTT!!! :D

Good to see you again Robb

Glad your back Robb. And welcome to the cult of the retro stove. You have good taste my friend.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2010-03-17 13:22 ]

Stoves!?!?!?!?

Robb!
Let's not this great and glorious art thread
turn into a Julia Childsfest!
ARTARTARTARTARTART!

keep your eye on the prize!

talk atcha soon!

B

the sign looks AMAZING Robb!!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 19, 2010 9:29 AM

This is the third month in 2010, and you haven't shown us anything new since 2009. GROG crack whip.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies