Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies

Hey Jared,

I focus on fading not just because because UV is especially bad at bouncing off the ground and through windows to fade art, but because halogen lights pump it out in high amounts - and those are what many people use in their dark tiki rooms!

Another factor is that environmental laws have forced fabric many manufacturers to switch to environmentally safer dyes - which, of course, fade easily.

Let's protect the value of our work by being aware of issues of permanence.

Here's a little 8x10 velvet I did for the lovely and talented Ken Ruzic:

It was fun to do a small painting, something that didn't take so long to create!

While I've got some time, here is my Tiki Mag Show work just before I packed it for shipping:

Ignore the geek hangin' out around my art, that's my loser identical cousin Larry-Bobb.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2008 4:03 AM

Nice. Looks like a Gustave Dore print, but in color. Go small, Robbie Bobbie.

Thanks, Cammo, I love Dore!

Here's my Tiki Mag Show work, which no one could see because they were in the dark:

"A cool pad, baby 2"

"Burichapi blows it's lid"

"Tiki vignette 2"

B

Hey Rob,

I have got to get back to the Rooth Gallery and take a closer look at these. It was sooo packed opening night that it was hard to move around in there. Hot too. I spent most of my evening outside talking with folks.

I have to say, your work is just stunning! I'm "over the top" blown away with it.

I know that it is very tough to paint on velvet. If you get a little paint smudge or some kind of mark placed in an area that you don't want it to be in, is there some way you can you take it out, or is that just it...painting done?

Man, keep pumping these out...you are "really" rockin the house!

V

god, I love tiki vignette #2. Fantastic.

V

oh, and the geek have a nice shirt.

TT

Robb, I really enjoyed seeing your work at the Tiki Mag/Planet Rooth gig, even without good lighting they seem to be self illuminated, like you could see em with the lights off...

I found my eyes constantly drawn to them even with the rucus and chaos in the gallery.. I would seriously love to own one of your paintings in the not too distantant future

VERY classy stuff...

Cheers

:)
Gustav Dore on velvet indeed!
with those atmospheric clouds and soft waves lapping the shore...
you're too cool for school Robb!
friggin beatiful man!
BTW
Tiki Vignette and the Tiki moderne pieces are too stunning!
They belong in a respectable Tiki establishment....NOW!

THANKS EVERYONE! I FEEL DA LUV!

Thanks Babalu - there is a way to remove paint from velvet... it is the one secret I will probably take to my grave! I'm thrilled you liked my work, but if you go back to the gallery, be careful, they have messed up, "I'll open the gallery when I feel like it," hours.

Virani - it's always nice to hear from you.

Tiki Trav - thanks for the boost on how my stuff looked at the gallery, I've been sweating that pretty hard since the same thing happened at the Hukilau.

llt - the Tiki Mod piece singed my soul, but I finished it! I also have another mod I finished at the same time that is waiting, waiting....

Thanks everybody!

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2008 10:36 PM

Rob, you have added some truly amazing beautiful pieces to your legend!

I just noticed you called me "lovely"
gee......thanks.
:)

B

ok first of all, u may not use the term LOVELY in conjunction with a statement about Mr. Ruzic. you MAY use TALENTED along with the following approved adjectives: FEISTY, CRACK-ADDLED, SURLY, DEVIOUS, TAWDRY, MARMOT-LIKE, KOOKY and STICKY. I can add to this compilation upon request (i kid because i love).

but on a serious note. Your black velvets are just stunning. and a great counterpart to the more campy velvets of Ms. Watts and Mr. Murphy.

And thank the aforementioned Mr. Ruzic for offering to bring his easel down to the show, because when Ken, Brad Parker and I were hanging the show, we couldn't find well-enough lit spots on the wall for all of them. The easel was a great solution to give your tiki modern painting the focus it needs!!! i hope someone posts a photo for you.

congratulations on coming through in a big way for the show!

Mad alohas, tom

Thanks Kahu, it's good to hear from another North Coast inhabitant. We should meet sometime at Bill Winger's shop, esp. if you haven't been there yet.

llt: "lovely is in the eye of the beheader," or something.

Big Toe... "Marmot-like?" That's killing me! "Sticky" is the one that gets my wife - she thinks you could do a great, "Ken Ruzic Madlib!" Ken's rescue efforts get a big thanks from me. I haven't thanked you yet, so... Thank You! We needed guys like yous guys there for those artists that couldn't defend their own art from all the laziness and negligence.

T

Hey Robb!

Just wanted to add my voice to the choir of praise for your incredible work!

Your pieces at the Tiki Mag show are nothing short of stunning. I know there was some concern about lighting, but they looked pretty incredible as the were and I don't think anyone who saw them was not completely blown away. (if they weren't, they're totally jaded jerks who have no business at a tiki art anyway)

Keep them velvet masterpieces comin'!

D

Just an FYI, a really in depth interview with Robb can be heard on the newest episode of the Quiet Village podcast.

Interview with Robb? they have electric in Ohio? Great Stuff Robb, love all of your work!!!!!
When I think Black Velvet there is only Robb Hamel!!!!!

Now when is Nick going to give you that cover?

Tobunga - thanks for the boost about the Show. It's good to hear that they still looked okay. Your work is seriously awesome and I've been very happy to be in shows with you and the rest of this cast of characters.

The interview with Digitiki was a real blast. Amazingly, I forgot a very important thanks: Tiki Kaliki for getting my REALLY involved with this type of art... THANKS TK! I also had just wrapped up my website one or two days before, and completely forgot to shamelessly promote it. Double shame on me!

Wildsville Man is true to his own self-promotion: he DOES reek of awesomeness. Thank the Fates that he doesn't paint because all other Tiki artists would be in trouble.

I'm taking a little break from doing big paintings and doing some 8x10s for a change. I've been planning on doing this for awhile but Ken Ruzic got me motivated. Thanks Ken!

I really like this guy with a head shaped like a canoe paddle from the Mai Kai. I've seen a bunch of New Guinea carvings since and realized that's where he came from.

I changed him into something between some real carvings and the Mai Kai one and did several sketches.

I worked in my studio for the first time in months because it's cold now.

Work went slow the first day, and, as usual, the pics don't look nearly as nice as the real painting.

http://www.robbhamel.com

Black velvet tiki art...
needs more blood.

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-10-19 17:07 ]

One morning, I filled in the shadow side.

The painting is still dark overall but I'm getting a sense of the kind of background I want.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2008 12:58 PM

Very cool Robb - keep us updated with the progress.

ROCK ON ROBB!
Stoked to see that you're taking the tiny route for awhile!
Bet you'll save a ton on shipping these!
Stoked you're painting that PNG MaiKai fellow!
He was one of my faves at the restaurant!
he's lookin great and coming along splendidly!
Can't wait to see what other subjects/characters you'll be tackilng!
ITerrill and i LOVE the night beach scene you created for our home!
ROBB ROXX!

Here's your chance to get a Robb Hamel piece folks!
I imagine this new smaller series will be scooped up QUICK!

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2008 1:29 PM

lookin good mister hamel!

lovin the light on the saw-blade head!! if this isnt spoken for, maybe we can talk trade????????????????

alohas, toe-jam

Haha, I soon as I saw the title "Mini-Velvets", I thought "I bet that Ruzic guy influenced Robb at the show'. :lol:

Love the small piece! Do more!!!

Hey Robb

Great work! You've got fantastic talent.

Quick question because I'm dabbling in velvets - how do you get your paint to adhere to the velvet without it looking splotchy? Do you just paint it on thick or do you do a preliminary undercoat? My understanding is that Leeteg used a multiple buildup of paint over several weeks so he'd have a solid surface to do his final detail. I'm guessing that's why he only worked with 6 colors because layering paintings works best with uniform coloring underneath. You do such fine detail. What's you secret?

TD

Great to see some updates, Robb!!
awsome green, i really like it

RH

Mega-Huge thanks: TikiG, LLT, Big Toe, 4WDtiki, Beachcomber, and TikiDuddy.

I don't know how I ever kept going without all this great support... (wipes misty tears from his eyes, lip quivering).

Robb, you are the velvet beneath our wings!(?) :)

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2008-10-02 21:00 ]

..these just keep gettin better and better!!!.... damn!!!!

Very exciting work. MORE!!!

B

Really nice work. I love the chiaroscuro quality of the lighting.

RH

Here's the wrap up:

I added a subtle jungle backdrop.

A few plants and a shell (borrowed from the one at the Mai Kai, but reversed).

Here we go: "PNG Paddlehead".

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It was great to do something not colossal for once. I'm going to possibly do a few of these since the price I'm thinking of is low and wouldn't cover exclusivity.

TD

Very awsome Robb!
the backround puts it over the top!
so how much more different is it painting on velvet than canvas? i got a deputydog velvet painting in my room but that's the only one i've ever seen in person

your stuff's great!!

Rob~
Loved the interview on Quiet Village. Your work in person is amazing. I bow to you, your kung-fu is superior.
And now, I apologize for this...

Aloha~

RH

Tiki Duddy - velvet is radically different, sometimes people can't even get the paint to spread evenly. It's worse when it comes to doing fleshtones, most turn greyish and the different shades you'd normally use tend to look identical.

Brad - you got me, my room actually echoed with laughter!!!!!!!! Now Grog has a new level of Kung Fu to aspire to!

RH

I forgot to include some details:

PNG Paddlehead is 8x10 inches, on velvet mounted to bristol board (heavy art paper), unframed. I don't know if I'll do another, but I'll make each a little different and sign, date, and number each on the back.

It will fit in a standard frame so you can put it on a table, not just the wall, since a frame back with the fold-out leg will secure with the painting in. This'll give more good placement options.

I've been planning on doing this size of painting, which I consider a "sketch", for a while so that I can offer something affordable.

Shit, Robb! It feels like I'm wearing 3-D glasses when I look at that one!
Love love love it! And thanks for thinking of making some smaller, affordable pieces. Maybe even I could own one now!

Beautiful work Robb.

RH

Thanks, guys. The 3d effect is what I was going for - good eye! I've got another I'll post the process of in the next coulpa' days...it's a revisit to an old friend of mine!

Tikishark is Correct!
Your KungFu skills are more powerful than ALL of us!
Paddle head turned out POIFECT!
Believe me folks, 8x10 is bigger than you think
and more than enough space to transport
your feeble minds into HamelLand!
Keep it up Robb!
You're the Leetag of the Midwest!
MORE!MORE!MORE!

RH

Ken, you're just way WAY too much! Thanks for being that way.

B

is it extra for a full signature? ;P

great looking paddle-head, man.

the jungle is soooo subtle but soooo good!

MAD MAD skills!

alohas, t

Big Toe - a full signature can't be had at ANY price because it would dominate such a small painting...I am signing the back completely, though.

LLT - I have no Kung Fu moves...more like Stairmaster moves.

T

ALoha Robb!!

Thanks for the kind words on my "Trader Hic's" piece!! I posted a reply! I just want to send my equal appreciation for you WONDERFUL velvets and talent. You have inspired the masses! You are the "Velvis" of velvet revival my friend!!

Thor - them's some inspiring words, coming from the maestro! Your new piece is too wild for words.

I'm digging these micro-velvets and have squeezed out another'n. This was a requested piece - I hope the requester likes it enough to take it home!

"Turanguna Fireworks" 8x10 - oil - velvet mounted to bristol board.

This piece was seriously fun to do and is very luminous... with some light on it it jumps off the velvet.

http://www.robbhamel.com

Black velvet tiki art...
needs more blood.

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-10-23 16:59 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 14, 2008 8:17 PM

That looks great! :D

R

Robb I love your velvet pieces so much....the dark mood is just enchanting

can't wait to see more :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies