Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies

RH

Grog - lay it on me. Might be a breath of fresh air. How 'bout Chris Foss, anyone?

Llt - you're too nice. I'll do my best to keep crankin'. I looked at some lowbrow art books this past week and I think I'd buy a book of your work before I'd buy the afraid-to-experiment, imitate-themselves-to-death artists I saw.

Msteeln - I'd like to capture a little of Frazetta's energy in my work. Not copy his style, just some of his vitality.

This is an older one, the smallest velvet painting I've done, about 5x8 inches.

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 3:55 PM

WOW that is cool for being so small! Great work as always! Any chance you will be at the event in Columbus? Would love to sit and have a drink with you.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 5:05 PM

Why do tikis always look like they got kicked in the nuts or are taking a dump?

V

Grog, you're the man, ahah !

Very nice Ku painting by the way Robb. Splendid.

RH

Thanks Virani, it was a fun piece for a coworker without much of a budget.

Grog... good Lord!

Kahu, I think it's about time that I go to a Moai event. I checked out the Myspace page, do you have any good links you can give me?

Virani contacted me a while back about purchasing my second Tiki painting called "The Forgotten one." The painting had sold last year and had been my overall most popular, despite my attempts to top it:

"The Forgotten One"

The first painting was a one-of-a-kind, so I decided to do a "sequel" painting - similar but an evolution of the first. Also, it was designed to be part of a limited edition of four. Virani has #1. #2 will be at the Hukilau.

I started working on the design right after finishing "Kapu Cave" for the wonderful Hiphipahula.

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2008 4:37 PM

Kahu, I think it's about time that I go to a Moai event. I checked out the Myspace page, do you have any good links you can give me?

PM sent. :)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 12:43 PM

Proof that Tikis DO sh*t in the woods.

P.S. This is an awesome piece Robb. GROG like.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-06-06 12:44 ]

V
virani posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 1:30 PM

Wait till you see the version he did for me...

Grog betray roots. Tiki would nevar evar use tp. Banana leaves only.

Thanks for posting the sketches, I love to see the process.
Your water falls are so ghostly and moody. Beautiful. I'm inspired.

This is great stuff! You're velvet stuff has lots of class too...

RH

Thanks Brad, Sam, Virani and Grog. I started getting involved in TC to be part of a community. In my area, there is no one besides my wife into Tiki... I haven't even heard of another single person. It's good not to be working in a vacuum any more.

This is the sketch for Virani's painting:

Believe it or not, this sketch is guite large. I also elevated the sketch so that I had to look up at it as I worked. I did this things I'd get a sense of scale as I'm designing the image.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 10:57 AM

That was really nice of Virani to commision you to do a painting to give to GROG.

M

Stay out of those vaccuums, Robb, to confining, little light, and the dust is terrible for velvets.
But, you could probably get great results non-the-less.

RH

Grog, I can't tell you what an honor it is to have my paintings defiled in Photoshop by you!

Msteeln, the worst part is that space suits cost $9,000,000 the last I checked. That'll cut a chunk out of my 401K.

This is the beginning of Virani's painting:

Unfortunately, I can't post again until the Hukilau is over - I can't wait to meet some of you hooligans!!!!!

Keep an eye out for this guy:

O

Great stuff Robb

Ohhh. I see the light!

This is fun watching it come to life!

Almost like it's being born.

-o

Everybody's gonna do this, so I'll keep it REALLY short.

I'd like to thank the following for a terrific Hukilau 2008:

Tiki Kiliki for discovering me hocking my paintings on the internet, believing in me enough to invite me to the show, and for helping me survive the resulting nervous breakdown while fending off one of her own. She is spectacularly beautiful in every way a person can be... and also for introducing my wife and I to these guys:

Russell (left) and Michael (Dr. Scopitone) - these two characters saved our entire trip - repeatedly - with their friendship, support, personalities, and patience. Having to leave them honestly feels like a disaster.

Harold Golen for hosting the Fine Art Tiki show, for giving selflessly of his time when I desperately needed professional advice, and for having a gentle, quiet nature that I found disarming.

Also the many other thugs, mugs, oddballs, beauties, and cool people we encountered.

This is the "The Forgotten Valley of Nuku Hiva" finished:

Some closeups:

I took the second edition (of four) of this painting to the Hukilau. At the show we had a shortage of lights for the paintings. If you didn't see this painting while it was well lit, this is what it looked like while it was.

The Hukilau edition was purchased by a very nice TCer. I can't reveal her name without permission, but was thrilled that she bought it in the first few minutes of the show.

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-06-16 17:54 ]

The textures you create on velvet are so subtle yet they carry a ton of visual weight. Nice er actually beautiful/ethereal work... AGAIN!

S
T

I'm still weeping...

just outstanding

Robb, you are a painter of light - kind of a Thomas Kinkade of tikidom (I know some people don't care for TK for various reasons :o, but I mean that as a compliment) I haven't seen "Near Waikani" posted here, I'm sure the TCers would appreciate it.

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jun 17, 2008 7:15 AM

Hopefully he will get to it once he recovers from Hukilau!

B

killer atmosphere and mystery!

love it!

Mesmerizing....

Woah~ I could stare at your work for hours...

Thank you Sneakytiki (is the Tikiyaki Orchestra song of the same name about you?), Lee, and Dawn. MadDogMike, I know how to take the "Painter of Light" comment because I've been searching my whole life for a way to do just that - I just never once thought it would be on velvet! Kahu, see below. Thanks BigToe (is there a story behind your name?). Marina, you work at the Hukilau was far more awesome than any mere paint stuck to velvet could ever be... Wow!

Here's the other work I had at the Hukilau:

"Huon Tiki Vista"

A very cool member of FOM bought this in the first half hour of the show, beating out three other people I saw looking for Harold Golen to buy it. The weirdest part is that I found out he lives near me!

"Near Waikani"

Back to "The Forgotten Valley of Nuku Hiva." I had been asked if "The Forgotten One" was still available, but it wasn't. I got motivated to produce a sequel by a story Virani told me about his honeymoon.

Virani: would you describe your experience, please?

A note about this painting being a limited edition of four:

In my own, very biased opinion this painting is worth more than I'm charging for it (because of the huge amount of developement involved). If I do a limited edition, I'm spreading the work out over several paintings, and I get to share the image I've created with more people.

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-06-18 06:45 ]

V

On 2008-06-18 06:31, Robb Hamel wrote:

Virani: would you describe your experience, please?

Certainly.
Some of you may remember, back in 2004, I made a small description of my honeymoon to the Marquesas islands on TC. Here's the link to it (although, I don't understand now why the pics are not working. Ideas anyone ? I'll try to fix that later.

So, I took a freighter called the Aranui in Papeete, Tahiti with my wife for 15 days of travel in the Pacific, stopping on every islands of the marquesas archipel. And that was the most fantastic experience of my life.

Now, when I saw the original painting of Robb, it made me think of a particular day, when, with a few other tourists and a guide, on Nuku Hiva, we climbed a big hill, full of mango trees (on wich I hurt my nose), to arrive on a valley, where was hidden some tikis such as the one he painted. It was fantastic to be there, with nothing else around, it seems those tikis where forgotten in the luxuriant vegetation, with herbs growing on them, and with a fantastic view over the island. Now, there was no lake at this place, or waterfall, but it looks so nice on Robb painting.
That was the best day of the trip.

[ Edited by: virani 2008-06-18 10:16 ]

A

it was a pleasure meeting you. your work is an inspiration i just got a chance to really view the thread and i dont think my chin came off the table once, truly amazing work! hope to see you again and much more of your work take care.

jd

Thanks Virani, sounds like a real dream honeymoon to me. Thanks Arttard (for those who don't know, Arttard is a hell of a tattoo artist).

K
Kahu posted on Sat, Jun 21, 2008 7:54 AM

On 2008-06-18 06:14, Robb Hamel wrote:

"Huon Tiki Vista"

A very cool member of FOM bought this in the first half hour of the show, beating out three other people I saw looking for Harold Golen to buy it. The weirdest part is that I found out he lives near me!

I heard, he is showing it off big time! I also heard they are looking forward to you coming to a meet and greet. I knew if I could get you in touch with them you would have a blast. Again hope to get with you at the Hot Rod Hula Hop in Aug. And keep those paintings coming!

[ Edited by: kahu 2008-06-21 22:55 ]

Robb, I'd buy a book of your paintings in a second. Simply great paintings to just get 'lost' in. Especially for us daydreamers. :)

Mr. PuPu! Where on earth have you been? It's good you're back. I'll have to slide over to your thread to see if you've added anything....

IMPROVISATIONAL ART

I've had a sketch for this painting since April but couldn't figure out how to make the image work.

Against common sense I decided to WING IT!

I started painting in my gazebo at sunrise.

The first strokes on the moon. I used a reference photo so that it is accurate.

The moon is roughed in. Dust from being outside is already obvious.

My approach to doing moonlight is a lot like that of Chesley Bonestell, the greatest astronomical artist ever. His technique came from advice from fellow artist Charles Rollo Peters. I've always had good luck with moonlight, but this is my first time trying the approach these long-gone artists developed.

What I don't know is how to translate all this to a moai without making it look cartoonish or like it is made from the wrong kind of stone....

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-07-12 05:17 ]

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-10-19 16:56 ]

T

On 2008-06-18 06:14, Robb Hamel wrote:
Thank you Sneakytiki (is the Tikiyaki Orchestra song of the same name about you?), Lee, and Dawn. MadDogMike, I know how to take the "Painter of Light" comment because I've been searching my whole life for a way to do just that - I just never once thought it would be on velvet! Kahu, see below. Thanks BigToe (is there a story behind your name?). Marina, you work at the Hukilau was far more awesome than any mere paint stuck to velvet could ever be... Wow!

Here's the other work I had at the Hukilau:

"Huon Tiki Vista"

"Near Waikani"

This "Near Waikani" painting just kills me. Amazing. In person it was really something to behold....bad lighting or not. Seeing these Velvets in person is just awesome....you keep seeing things in the dark..it's almost like you have to wait until your eyes adjust to see things...like you would if your were trying to see in the dark.

As look at the painting longer, your eyes adjust to the painting, you keep seeing things...I love that.

Midnite at the Moai is looking great! Is that your left hand you're painting with?

cant wait to see the final product of this latest master work....your stuff is really breath taking

Love the creative process steps. Wow, you can't paint out any mistakes so you gotta be sure about your steps the first time! Sort of like artistic tight rope walking.

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Jun 25, 2008 8:24 PM

WOW Robb the Moai painting is going to be sweet!

My painting gazebo.

So the stone doesn't look muddy, I decide to use pure colors in dabs. Excuse the dust.

The reflection on the ocean is the one easy step so far.

This is where I've stopped until I figure out if a palm tree or a canoe goes in the left corner. I know the ocean will need a lot more light, but I'm not sure how I want to do it.

My goal is to make the scene have a romantic feel. It is inspired by Martin Denny's "Exotica," and I want that feel.

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-10-19 16:55 ]

The step-by-step is fascinating, Robb! Thanks for sharing the process with us.

You forgot the "don't try this at home" disclaimer. :wink:

That Moai is looking very cool and mysterious!
You nailed that moon....
Every brushstroke is thought out
and the weirdest part is sometimes
it isn't what you paint
it's what you don't paint....
You mentioned the word 'negative space'
when we spoke briefly at the Maikai....
with this step by step
i'm beginning to get it!
Thanks Robb for the insight
and all these wonderful paintings!
:)

YEA! thanks for sharing thought process and technique. I love seeing the sketches on the black paper. thats watercolor pencil, Right? I think I already asked that question. Your painting gazebo reminds me of being on safari.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-06-29 09:55 ]

If that's Diamondhead in the background, then the secret location of your moai must be east of Diamondhead, probably on Koko Head. Looking great!

RH

4WDtiki - I wish I wasn't trying this at home, but I have no studio!
littlelosttiki - "negative space" is where I now live.
Sophista-tiki - your memory is excellant Dawn, Derwent watercolor pencils they be.
MadDogMike - the resemblence to Diamondhead is a coincidence, it's kind of a fantasy Easter Island.

Thanks, all.

The distant mountains go in next, this pic doesn't resemble the painting - too much digitalness to the blue.

The beach goes in - believe it or not, this simple beach is about six different techniques combined in layers to give the beach a physical presence.

The moai's final texture shows up nicely here. It is meant to be brand new, without any weathering.

RH

I was wondering if anyone has an idea for a title for this piece? It is of the first night of a newly-erected moai.

This painting is headed to Tiki Freakout, I hope some of you see it in person and like it!

"First Moonrise"

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-07-05 16:17 ]

T
Tabu posted on Fri, Jul 4, 2008 6:45 PM

You have definitely caught that romantic feeling of far off Martin Denny Exotica. How about "Moon over Moai".
Anyway I am lovin' the moodiness of all these paintings.

K
Kahu posted on Fri, Jul 4, 2008 9:49 PM

"Moai by Moonlight" ??

Great job Robb! Beautiful piece.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies