Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies

T
Toshi posted on Mon, May 12, 2008 8:16 PM

Wow, amazing! I love all of them.

Robb...........................................................
(that's me being speechless)

On 2008-04-30 13:23, Robb Hamel wrote:
My next painting, titled "Kapu Cave" was for Hiphipahula. She commissioned it for her Tiki bar of the same name. It measures 24x36 and was one of the most difficult designs I've worked on in a while.

Hiphipa hula, on the other hand, was terrific to work with. I've been invited to Tiki Oasis and had a lot of questions about it. She spent an hour on the phone giving me helpful info (thanks Kelly!).

Below are my first thumbnails for the project.

Including two Tikis, a cave, a volcano, and flowers was a real challenge for me.

I have never seen these thumbnails, great to have the opportunity to see Thanks Robb. p.s. I saw a Robb Hamel sell at Tiki Caliente this last weekend, Good going!

The painting turned out superb! Gorgeous!

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 13, 2008 12:50 AM

You're hired.

Wow, that perspective is amazing! Does funny things to the back of my neck.. like I want to 'see' more/further up.. up.. up..
(still plenty of 'wookie' too - nice) :wink: :lol:

T :)

Thanks a bunch, everyone. Thanks Hiphipahula for the good news.

The idea of the image is that Pele's double is leaving her home at the heart of the volcano. Her real self stays behind so her double can go cause the kind of lusty mischief she if known for without risk to her real self (that'd be nice, huh?). She is exiting via a lava tube into the moonlit night above.

I've sent Mark the photo below for final approval and naming.

If he turns the painting down, I'm going to cry.

Amazing man... beautiful beautiful painting - the blue highlights and the orange glow is magnificent - Would love to see the painting in person! WOW man WOW

H
harro posted on Tue, May 13, 2008 6:52 PM

On 2008-05-13 17:28, Robb Hamel wrote:

If he turns the painting down, I'm going to cry.

I would be surprised if that happens. But if it does, its his loss and I'm ready to pounce!

Excellent job and great progress pics. The depth and wonder created in this piece is amazing.

robb you are very talented keep up the good work my friend

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 14, 2008 3:21 AM

Your work is awesome. I love the perspectives you've used in these last two pieces, and the use of colour. Sweet :D

Thanks, folks. TC'ers are the best.

I guess I won't be posting much new stuff for awhile. I have a tough commission I'm doing as a gift and can't post pics or the receivee will see 'em. After that, it's mostly prep for the Hukilau. I have so much to do I'm having to stop taking commissions for a good while.

My extra-special thanks to the terrific folks I've been working with, they've stretched me beyond what my usual lack of motivation would accomplish, and opened my eyes.

Robb

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-05-16 04:54 ]

Robb,

Great pic! Your pad looks keen! I love your modern furniture collection!

ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-05-16 12:19 ]

Pele turned out Incredible!
Great mix of hot and cool
depth,and texture and drama...
what a great painting!
Right on Mr. Hamel!

Sneakytiki - you have a hell of a pad, esp. for Idaho!

Little lost tiki - thanks a ton, it took longer than I normally allot, but the velvet is my master, and it told me what IT wanted... as always.

T

Wow, Sneaky and Robb, I have the same taste in furniture as y'all...if only being a modernist was affordable in Los Angeles :(

I have an original 60's Stereo Egg Chair, some Danish teak stuff, and other neat-o Mid Century Modern furnishings. I love the blend of Tiki and Mid Century Modern.

Sorry we're hijacking your thread Robb!
Let's move this conversation here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=7096&forum=6&start=0&hilite=modern%20tiki

My thread is yours to use as you will.

Anyone else doing cool one of a kind velets that have time??? ( Robb is booked solid)

I have a project coming up that needs a few....

Class. Class. Anyone?

On 2008-05-18 22:21, RevBambooBen wrote:
Anyone else doing cool one of a kind velets that have time??? ( Robb is booked solid)

I have a project coming up that needs a few....

Class. Class. Anyone?

Get Robb anyway. :D

M

Robb, have you found a supplier of worthy velvet yet?

Who is the cheapest you've found? I need sacrificial velvet as well.

Thanx for your help, and for keeping the tradition alive!

These would look good on the side of your black '72 Chevy van or maybe on the Continental spare tire cover for your PT Cruiser :)

Robb,
quick question.....
Do you sketch ot the design on the velvet first?
With a canvas, it's easy-just use a water-soluble pencil or crayon and wipe it away afterwards.....
I bet you just go for it and it turns out marvellous.....

msteeln: I think I'm going to buy from Velvets Etc. in New York. I use the same velvets for tests, not cheaper stuff, so I get the same results.

MadDogMike: I've got a PT Cruiser, I should do something with it.

little lost tiki: I sketch tougher things on the velvet, and improvise others.

Thanks for the questions and comments... has anybody done tests they can show here?

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 22, 2008 2:56 PM

"keeping it alive"?? I think you've gone way beyond that! I just wish I'd grabbed one of those ones you had on etsy or ebay before you became a TIKI SUPERSTAR! The new Pele piece is probably the most innovative and original velvet I've ever seen.....

M

Thanx, Robb.
I was afraid I was setting myself up for exactly that answer, per the test velvets.

By the way, anybody catch the Elvis' on Velvet on NPR this morning? Actually a faily decent segment.

man, i can't believe i haven't seen this till now!! Rob, you rock!! i love the lonely/mysterious ones the most. "the forgotten one" 'sleeping sentinal', etc etc..
you just inspired me all over again- much mahalos for showing!!!

By the way Robb what a Happening place you live. I wanna be in the in-crowd with the beautiful people :wink:

Hip, you've obviously never been to Ohio! "Help, help, I'm being depressed!"

Greentikipat, Lee Scott, "Tiki Lee's" here, has two copies of my "Sleeping Sentinel" left, enough for you and Paipo, if you're interested.

Paipo, I'm glad there are several NZers here, very cosmopolitan. Plus, you guys have possibly the best tiki craftsmen ever living there (I saw some pics of Maori carvings that I thought could not possibly be real, they were so elaborate).

Below is my only finished non-velvet painting. I did it in January:

"Moonrise Waterfall"

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-05-24 16:29 ]

I feel strangely compelled to swim in those eerily glowing waters even though it probably means my certain doom.

Love the reflections you've got all over the water. Wonderful composition, wouldn't mind taking a dip there myself!

M

But, you know what the first thing people do when they get into a nice body of water, eh?

Robb, what size is the non velvet painting? Is that acrylic? What it's title?
Very nice piece! Great lighting. Beautiful work.

Tiki Shark

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-05-24 14:48 ]

Thanks Brad! I didn't bother putting the title on because no one has ever shown interest in "Moonrise Waterfall." It is 12x16 inches, in acrylic. The small lake is inhabited by type of bioluminescent bacteria that activate when agitated - the waterfall stirs them up by the trillions, a few fish swimming around the stone tiki barely light it up. I have two other non-velvet ones done in a pretty serious Old Master style with oils that I'll probably never complete.

Thanks to everyone for posting comments about my most unloved painting.

Here's one that the terrific owners of the Velveteria purchased for their museum. It is only 16x20 inches:

"Pressure Release"

beautiful work!

Dang Robb!
That Moonlight waterfall is so cool and mysterious...
The bioluminescent organisms must look REALLY nice in person!
I don't think you can paint a Bad painting!
is it easier to paint on Black(velvet) or white (canvas) ground?
It seems like you have a nice instinctual KNACK when it comes to breaking down
an object into light-medium-and darks!
and then to throw MOOD into the mix!?!?!
Thanks for reviving an Art form that needed a steady captain at the wheel!

llt: I don't know what is harder to do, blank canvas or black velvet. I know my mind likes dealing with a black background and tons of negative space, but it took many months before I could get the paint to spread the way I wanted it to. I have no idea how you do those incredible, elaborate paintings you do, it's amazing.

Robb,

Pressure Release is so rich in tiki-phallic metaphor! Great painting by the way!

Your most unloved painting is gorgeous. LLT is spot on about the light on the water! Very ethereal!

M

Have you guy's tried air-brush on velvet?

Good God no! Airbrush has done SO much damage to so many forms of art. On it's own, sold as "Airbrush Art," it's amazing... but don't mix it with other forms!

M

But, doesn't it come down to how the artist uses the technique?

Lot's of air-brush does looks cheap/amateurish, but some are certainly quite exceptional, and I would think it to be a perfect pairing, at least for some creative aspects.

I've not tried it on velvet and don't know how compatible it will be.

msteeln, there's lotsa great airbrush art out there, I guess I have bad flashbacks of all those sci-fi and fantasy paintings over the years that just used cheesy airbrush effects so the artist didn't have to blend his paint.

I think it could look great if done right, but velvet is a tough lover: you have to stroke it just right or you get nothing. If similer effects are quickly achieved with an airbruch, every t-shirt airbrush artist who ever worked at a kiosk in a mall could mass produce paintings like wild. Then history repeats itself and velvet again becomes a tacky medium for cranked-out art.

If, on the other hand, an artist of unique vision creates heretofore unseen and dynamic images, then we all will benefit as fans of tiki art.

Here's the one painting I've done that is meant to capture the spirit of '70's velvet just before the crash:

"Godlight"

On 2008-05-27 16:34, Robb Hamel wrote:
msteeln, there's lotsa great airbrush art out there, I guess I have bad flashbacks of all those sci-fi and fantasy paintings over the years that just used cheesy airbrush effects so the artist didn't have to blend his paint.

I think it could look great if done right, but velvet is a tough lover: you have to stroke it just right or you get nothing. If similer effects are quickly achieved with an airbruch, every t-shirt airbrush artist who ever worked at a kiosk in a mall could mass produce paintings like wild. Then history repeats itself and velvet again becomes a tacky medium for cranked-out art.

If, on the other hand, an artist of unique vision creates heretofore unseen and dynamic images, then we all will benefit as fans of tiki art.

Here's the one painting I've done that is meant to capture the spirit of '70's velvet just before the crash:

"Godlight"

History will repeat itself unfortunately and then it will all pass away again and something else will be in vogue. Round and around we go. Just do what you love, forget the rest.

M

Great response, Robb, thank you!

I think HR Giger turned out to be the greatest artist of the Twentieth Century and He was an airbrush artist.

My second choice would be Roger Dean.

Anybody else have a "greatest artist" choice that the Establishment would frown upon?

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 28, 2008 12:32 PM

Don't ask a question like that. You're going to derail your own thread. (Unless you don't mind it being derailed for a bit.)

Roger Dean Rocks!
so does Frazetta and Rodney matthews...
"God light" looks great! all those rays just punching a hole in the clouds!
Glad to see you like to try new things,even 70's velvet kitsch!
Someone you turn it all into Fine Art!
keep em coming Robb!
it's a pleasure to see your creations!

M

Man, I'd love to see real Frazetta's on velvet.
Classic's like Big Daddy Roth & R. Crumb

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 981 replies