Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2008 - the FINAL Hukilau

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 256 replies

Here's a sneak peek of our new drinking vessel. A drinking flask for the ye olde salts!

sculpt shown without stand.

Another cool one Danny!

Very cool Danny, since it isn't metal it won't set of any metal detectors, but damn...kind of hard to hide on your inner thigh. :)

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2008 7:04 PM

One Please. You can always hide it as one of your Viking hat horns. The glaze makes it perfect. Perfectly realistic

On 2008-06-04 11:41, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Here's a sneak peek of our new drinking vessel. A drinking flask for the ye olde salts!

sculpt shown without stand.

Kinda reminds me of my Dad's old Tuborg Beer Steins!

But TIKI!!!

Sweet!

Oh Man, one more week!

T

One more week and we will be there, can't wait, We fly in on the Wednesday, 6 days to go, no more work for a few days, just the HUKILAU!!! Kool!

[ Edited by: TIKIWAGON 2008-06-05 10:38 ]

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2008 8:55 AM

I eneded up with a reservation at the Bahia Cabana that I don't need (we'll be staying at the Clipper), so before I just cancel it, I wanted to offer it up in case anyone wants it.
Please PM me. :)

Can't wait for Hukilau!!!!

Tiki Kiliki actually needs this room! It will be going back to her anyway once you cancel it at the Cabana so it's essentially already re-booked. Really short supply this time, and lotsa entertainers and personell to fit in.

K

On 2008-06-02 20:22, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2008-05-30 22:50, kikekeki wrote:
Yoo Hoo!
Last minute plans, guess I'll be seein' you trouble makers there...
Weeeeeeee!
:lol:
K.

Sweet!

We need an ankle biter!!

We'll get em' at all angles!

:P

hey Bigboo-
your ankles are first....
I'll be lookin for ya(from my high chair)!
K.

B

Jet Blue allows 4.4 pounds of dry ice in your luggage??????? See you all soon.........

Aloha to all of you heading to The Hukilau! I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale early and have been scouting out the territory here for the past few days, so I have some info for those of you flying in. First of all: It's really hot and really humid here right now. (Yes, I know. Let's all put on our "big surprise faces" for that bit of stellar news.) But this weather makes for very sultry nights, which is lovely. So, pack accordingly. I'd still suggest bringing some kind of light jacket or shawl to keep the air conditioning from chilling you at times. And definitely some kind of lightweight cover-up so you don't fry your skin out by the pool or beach. Also, we've been having some scattered thunderstorms here, so pack a travel umbrella just in case.

The Mai Kai is still as wonderful as ever (although it does look like there's some repair work needed by the main entrance overhang), and there are souvenir posters, calendars, key chains, pens, T-shirts and mugs for sale in their gift shop right now. I'm going back tonight to do some photography, and if I see anything else especially noteworthy, I'll let you know.

Although I know we will all spend most of our time at Hukilau happenings, should you find yourself needing to explore... About an hour north of here (in Hobe Sound, Florida -- which is just above Jupiter, FL), there is a Hawaiiana/tropical shop called Algozzini (772-546-5373). They have a decent selection of Hawaiian clothes and really good prices on pufferfish (!), seashells and all kinds of fun stuff like that. You might find it worth the trip up there to check it out.

There is a GIGANTIC daily swap meet in Ft. Lauderdale called "The Swap Shop". It's located at 3291 W. Sunrise Blvd. If you forgot to pack ANYTHING, believe me, they'll have it... at really cheap prices. All new stuff, a lot of knock-offs, plus tropical fruit and flower vendors and a campy kiddy amusement park (that part is open on the weekends). It's situated on a multi-screen DRIVE-IN movie theater lot, so that's kind of unique, since there aren't a lot of those left in the country. (Well, not in Los Angeles, where I'm from...)

It's considered the "off" season right now in Florida, which means that a lot of restaurants and other businesses will be REALLY happy to see you. I've encountered many drink and dining specials, particularly in Miami Beach, which is a very worthy mini-excursion. Ocean Drive (the Art Deco district) is lined with good restaurants and it makes a fun stroll, especially to check out the gorgeous vintage hotels. There is one especially party-atmosphere restaurant/club down there called "Mango's" -- if you're in a "Hey, how did my clothes come off?" Vegas-type mood. Also, there's a great pedestrian mall within walking distance of the Art Deco district, on Lincoln Street, which has nonstop good shopping, dining and people-watching. I highly recommend Sushi Samba (for interesting Latin/Japanese fusion food) and Icebox for killer desserts.

More to come as I discover it. Looking forward to seeing all of you! -- Kari

K

I'm excited - this will be our first Hukilau and we're flying in from San Francisco on Thursday morning. We're newbies and don't know anyone, so come say "hi" to us!

CA

Hukilau Spacial!! Here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20050&forum=12&start=last&181

I might need a room at the cabana wed night...?
I've yet to confirm a tentative reservation... any one who has room for the night?? let me know

See you next week

On 2008-06-05 14:45, kosmotiki wrote:
I'm excited - this will be our first Hukilau and we're flying in from San Francisco on Thursday morning. We're newbies and don't know anyone, so come say "hi" to us!

We'll be easy to spot in the crowd, we're the ones in Aloha shirts.......

:wink:

the joy of Hukilau is you can walk up to pretty much anyone and say Hi! Or, if you want to be all formal about it you can say Hello.

Basically, look for the crowds of people and join them. Crowds usually mean someone is mixing or serving cocktails and those are the people you want to meet first!

Chip and Andy! Elisabeth! And their friends from San Francisco! What a fun thing to meet all of you tonight at the Mai Kai! (Send me a personal message with your phone numbers regarding tomorrow.) It seems the party has already started out here... wow! -- Kari (from Tiki Magazine)

T

I am staying until Tuesday morning because I figure this might be my last trip to Florida for the forseable future, and I thought it might be nice to do something interesting for a day after Hukilau.

I have actually never toured the art deco district of Miami - is there anyone interested in planning an excursion for Monday?

I've finally taken off a Friday to enjoy the whole day for this year's Hukilau. I'm usually rushing home to change and rushing back up to enjoy the events and the company. I've not been around late enough to go to any afterparties (being local, I don't stay at the hotel).

Can't miss us - Ken is quite tall and (had) the long stick out mustache. I may be wearing my pink skull dress on Friday.

Looking forward to Hukilau. Sent a few new mosaic pieces on ahead. Assuming they arrive safely here's a peek...

'Split Personality'

'Marina The Mermaid' (with real shells)

'Mai Kai'

Took that last one and made it into a card

Mahalooooooo...

Mr. CH

We'll be making our way from Orlando on Friday evening, staying at the BW next to the Mai Kai. We'll be at the first dinner show on Saturday.
We - meaning wife, 2 year old daughter and me.
Ran

Aloha, culture-lovers. Another day of pre-Hukilau exploration. FYI: If you're staying at the Yankee Clipper, valet parking is $16.00 per day. Otherwise you can self-park (in the same structure) for $12.00 per day. Okay, it's only a $4.00 difference, but multiply that by four days and that's a pu-pu platter or two good cocktails. You decide. The parking structure is directly across the street from the Clipper, and there's an elevated walkway on the fourth floor of the structure that takes you directly into the Clipper, thus avoiding dragging your jet-lagged patoot, luggage, etc., across Highway A1A.

Had sunset Mai Tai's with the lovely and effervescent Marina the Mermaid tonight (sans her swimmy tail). She is a fun woman and incredibly multi-talented. Not JUST a mermaid (which I say is PLENTY), but she also is a skilled belly-dancer, fire-eater, and has her pilot's license! We swapped stories of how our fragile minds were warped as children by our family members love of Tiki. (Her parents and my maternal grandparents.)

Last night, I went to the Mai Kai to do some photography. About thirty minutes in, the Mai Kai's enthusiastic manager, Kern Mattei, introduced himself and took me on an impressive behind-the-scenes tour. I was amazed by the whole Mai Kai operation, but I must say that seeing the mixology center (for lack of a better term) was the most impressive (and most difficult to drag myself away from). Shelves upon shelves of every kind of rum and jewel-colored liquor you can imagine, fresh coconuts, home made fruit syrups... all heavily guarded by their master mixologist. Kern opened a rare bottle of pre-ban Cuban rum (over 60 years old) and let me take a deep whiff. Seriously, if they could turn that into a perfume, that would be one heck of a man-magnet. (At least for THIS crowd! You know, I just got an idea for my exclusive Eau de Hukilau scent for for this year...)

Met some very friendly local TC-ers (Chip and Andy, Loki, Elisabeth...) who made me feel very welcome. THANK YOU!! Hey everybody, make sure you say hello to them, because they've been involved with some of the rehab of the Mai Kai. Ask them about what they've been doing! They're good people who truly love the Mai Kai.

Stopped by the Mai Kai gift shop (AGAIN) and, as of last night, there was only one more "Mystery Bowl" for sale ($85.00). I hope they're getting in some more by next week, but I don't know. Still, there are plenty of other Mai Kai souvenirs to purchase. Not to mention all the creative Hukilau vendors goodies...

The Mai Kai has some awesome older goodies in that shop if you look close, too. Hint-start with 1970's Mai-Kai Cologne!!

P
pablus posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 7:19 AM

There is no Elisabeth.
There is only Stumpgrinder.

And she screams like a banshee.

I might need a room at the cabana wed night...?
I've yet to confirm a tentative reservation... any one who has room for the night?? let me know

Hey C'Al,

We have a sofa bed in our roonm 130 and we have the room on Wednesday nite if you need a crash site.

Jungle Jim

CA

i here that.... THE GERMANS ARE COMING!! THE GERMANS ARE COMING!! see you in the OK-spa-Coral for the Bronk-busting! The German's Bull-Whip Returns!

BamBoo Ben hijacked me for a sex-pistol's show in Vegas... so i will not see the mugs i glazed yesterday till Tuesday... i leave Wed!! If i do not have that mug you want i'll send it to you... if you order now, just paypal me the $65 to [email protected] and confirm at the Huki... seee you in days

[ Edited by: crazy al 2008-06-07 07:54 ]

Sorry, Pablus. I didn't catch "Stumpgrinders" TC name that night. See you soon!

PS, Pablus, that "bitter and angry" signature at the end of my reply to you is NOT directed at you. (Monkey Man got confused by it once, too.) It's just my current pre-written signature mark that I forgot to take off before I hit the "submit" button. I'm taking it off now, to avoid any further "Huh?" experiences.

P

No problem - that's just part of my "There is no..." series.

Pablus, your Calabash still sits on my porch, and two mugs! I'm flying, so there they must still sit. But I've been a single man for a couple of weeks and moving out soon so now I must find a way. In the meantime I'm finding a way to your room for my Hukilau party beverage inaugural. It's gonna be a blast!

P
pablus posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2008 9:42 AM

The ocean temp is 82 degrees! and at night the air cools off to a balmy 80!! You can spend hours lounging in the water - just keep plenty of ice (and rum) handy!!

I would like to thank the Glamorous TIKIKILIKI for inviting me to participate in HUKILAU 2008 so I am able to present the FINE ART TIKI show!

(above): EXOTICA#5 by Richie Fahey

T

On 2008-06-09 10:45, AlohaStation wrote:
The ocean temp is 82 degrees! and at night the air cools off to a balmy 80!! You can spend hours lounging in the water - just keep plenty of ice (and rum) handy!!

Friday : The Mantra...

Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain
Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain Please Don't Rain

AI

Weather.com does predict scattered showers for Friday, but clear at night. Let's hope they're nice and early, and cool things down.

Angry Idol

Anyone know of some anti-rain chant we can all do?

The west coast contingent will try it's hardest to bring the sun with us. . . .

Here are my two new paintings that will be in the Harold Golen Hukilau show:
'KANE of the FIRE' (E Kane-i-ke-ahi) and 'KANALOA of the TABOO NIGHTS' (E-Kanaloa-i-ke-Ku)

I had a lot of fun researching for these pieces, and I hope you enjoy the results.

Looking forward to seeing you all in FL!

"Oh we're going - to a hukilau - huki-huki-huiki-huki-huki-hukilau!"

It rains almost every day! The good news is that its usually inland - thats a typical summer forecast.

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2008 6:34 PM

When it rains, it pours-RUM :drink:

PI

checks for clouds

sits outside with mouth open and 5 glasses

waits for rum rain

H

Fear and Loathing in Fort Lauderdale:

Puttin' rubber to the road bright and early Wednesday (or maybe Thursday) for the 7-9 hour road trip--depends on whether or not we go through bat country. I'll be the guy in the red cadillac convertible high on ether and amyl nitrate with a trunk full of rum and tequila and a mexican attorney in the passenger seat.:wink:

J

Man, careful with that ether because we all know: There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

All the Hukilau Threads need a countdown clock.

http://www.7is7.com/otto/countdclock.html

any help out there??

Just added some recent pics to the Mai-Kai thread ...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=10334&forum=2&start=60

Everyone have a safe trip and we'll see you in Fort Lauderdale!

S

LOCALS! Question for you..... is there a shuttle that runs to any of the hotels near the Clipper from the airport? The Clipper doesn't run one and I want to save my money for rum (not spend it on taxis). Does anyone have any ideas?

Many Mahalos!
Suzanne

Taxi should be about $20/each way from the airport. There is also:
http://www.suntrolley.com - for trips to the grocery/liquor stores
http://www.broward.org/bct/ - Bus system for the county. You will have to search for airport routes

On 2008-06-10 06:41, suzanne wrote:
LOCALS! Question for you..... is there a shuttle that runs to any of the hotels near the Clipper from the airport? The Clipper doesn't run one and I want to save my money for rum (not spend it on taxis). Does anyone have any ideas?

Many Mahalos!
Suzanne

When do you arrive?

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 7:58 AM

On 2008-06-10 06:41, suzanne wrote:

Many Mahalos!
Suzanne

Airport Express 1-800-244-8252 local 945-561-1888

S

On 2008-06-10 07:49, Jungle Jim & Jennifer wrote:

When do you arrive?

My flight lands at 2:46pm at FLL, on Thursday.

Suzanne

S

I can almost taste that first rum barrel.
This is what happens after several.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C1ojpQ7rwFk

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 256 replies