Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 456 replies

N
nuKKe posted on Sat, Jul 4, 2009 1:39 AM

On 2009-06-20 23:01, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:

1. I'm hoping to be 'finished' with Hula Sue's by the end of the summer. The purpose of the room is just as a place to have family and friends over for alittle 'escape' and quality time together. Our house is slowly becoming our own personal theme park (themed rooms throughout) and once the basement is done, I'll be moving on to finish the space-themed theater room (with 'Mission to Mars' spacesuit, 'Sunshine' film-used spaceship setpieces and some Disneyland park-used Tommorrowland props), the vintage cowboy/cabin-themed den (with rounded pine walls, fake fireplace, etc.) and an outdoor deck, themed as an old dock on a tropical island (with building facades and a row boat docked alongside as a seating area). Lots of fun work to do :)

Please post photos of the other rooms - here or in Beyond Tiki. If the other rooms are as cool as Hula Sue, then we're here for a real treat.
K

Z
Zog posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 12:03 AM

Great stuff, Mr. Pupu! I can't wait for the next "installment". It kinda feels like I'm anxiously awaiting the next episode of my favorite TV show!

Hello Guys, thanks!

leleliz, thanks very much for all the kind words.

nukke, thanks :). I think I'll wait to post the pics of the other rooms until they are closer to completion (they're all in various stages of progress and on hold until Hula Sue's is 'finished').

Zog, thanks, that's certainly how I feel about all the great work going on at this site. Sure is good company to be in :)

Here's a picture of the airplane fuselage under construction.
The 'struts' will be covered in metal and carefully 'damaged'.
The cabin walls will soon be covered/painted.
There will be metal trim to cover seams (like the one above the window) and carpeting on the floor (like the swatch below the seat) and curtains fastened to both sides of the window.
The roll of metal on the lower left of the picture will be riveted and then 'damaged/twisted/torn' and used to cover the exposed 'exterior' outer edge of the plane's fuselage that sticks out near the carved beam on the right.
The skeleton will be dressed in Hawaiian tourist garb and seat-belted in.
Lots of other small details to add and lots of work still to do but it's coming together.
Thanks again. More pictures very soon. I promise. :)

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-07-19 17:16 ]

L

Oh great..good to see an update on this !

I think the whole dead tourist thing is such a great concept.

P

Oh, Pupu, My Pupu!
once again I am in awe of your exquisite artistry!
Are there things you are looking for in the props or geegaws department to further your happy Tiki escapade into joy and madness?

I'm just about a 1/2 hr. drive from Edmonds, and constantly haunting thrift and antique stores, and who knows what I might come across...
One thrift store on
522 in Bothell always seems to have some interesting bit of Hawaiiana...Then there's Tuxedo's in Duvall.. great stuff!
I'd be glad to keep my eyes open for swag and plunder for Hula Sue's too!
(this is also a shameless hint that I would love to see it, finished or not, in person soon!)

You (or anyone else )are welcome to come over to the "Poi Dog Paradise" for a tour and tipple!

Make me something Tripical. You know,a mai-tai,with 3 shots of rum!
Is it just me, or do whales look like they're built upside down?

[ Edited by: palapala 2009-07-19 17:45 ]

Coming along quite smashingly (pun intended :) )

T

SO TIRED

tired of waiting, tired of waiting for youuuuu (Ray Davies/Kinks) Thortiki

welcome back pupu(play Kotter theme here) :wink:

On 2009-07-03 17:42, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Ah, Tikimyniki, I'm not even sure what that 'compliment' means and I don't care. You are the reason I stopped posting on Tiki Central for a little while.
Since no one has the courage to remove you, I'll make you a deal-- I'll ask that you don't leave any messages on this post and I won't acknowledge your existence here. Please don't even reply. I'll take your silence as the answer. Thank you.

tikimyniki, I meant it when I simply asked that you not post on this thread. Since you can't even honor that and I don't have the ability to block it, this will be my last post on tiki central until I can. Life is just too short.

Everyone else, thanks very much for all the great ideas and kind words. I truly appreciated the constructive give and take and warm encouragement and I'm sure I'll peek in from time to time to see what you're all working on.
Aloha and sincere thanks,
John

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-07-20 04:05 ]

P

Please Ohana!
Can't we make Tiki Central a safe, supportive and inspirational place, free from "keyboard ragers"
and negativity?
How about a general rule that if you would'nt say something face to face to someone, you don't post it?
DON'T GO, PUPU!

PuPu,

Just ignore the fuck head!

If I'm ever up north, we're having a beer together!

Keep posting please!

L

Yeah fuck that guy. Don't let some idiot with nothing better to do stop you from sharing your skills and room designs. Seriously hanford....do something already about the troll already.

Mr PuPu, great job! The whole project is terrific, but I have loved the airline section the first time I saw the drawing!

Everyone who does a Tiki Bar always hopes to make it special and unique, I think you accomplished that big time! Great job again!

Amy
PS basic website etiquette is that if someone asks you not to post on their thread, you don't, regardless of fault, this is Mr. PuPu thread and he has asked, it should be respected. Mr. PuPu, in return you shouldn't leave, you're always upbeat, a great addition to this site, you keep us all posting and you should just ignore someone who bothers you. Just my .02

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-07-20 16:08 ]

H

It would be nice if you stayed and posted more progression picture, I always enjoy coming here and checking to see what is new. You are doing a fabulous job, don't stop now, keep posting.

Awright, Hanford. I hate when you have to get involved in petty nonsense, but please boot this bung-hole! Pupu, please don't leave! People like you are why 99% of us come here for escapism & relaxation.

Come on everyone. If you've got an issue with someone don't post it here. Send me a PM (Mahalo to those who did). Don't fan the flames. Everyone needs to work as hard as they can to keep this site running smoothly.

Amazing job Pupu!
Please don't stop sharing your talent and vision with us! i don't chime in here too much,but Lurk a LOT!
Love the transformation so far!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 21, 2009 9:13 AM

DON'T LEAVE! You can't leave GROG hanging like that! GROG gotta see finished build. No tease GROG! Don't let one person ruin it for the hundreds, nay, thousands of others that are waiting with baited breath to see what you're building. Everything is looking so awesome so far.

B

POWER TO THE PUPU!!

I was really hoping to see more photos of this project in the future. This is one of my favourite threads on TC right now. PLEASE reconsider. We want you back. Pay no mind to that troll.

We want more PUPU...We want more PUPU...We want more PUPU...We want more PUPU...We want more PUPU!!!!!

Please reconsider. As a community, TC is only going to be as good as its active members. It seems to me that the best way to keep the quality where it should be isn't to complain about others and then leave, but rather to be active yourself and set a good example. Illegitimi non carborundum!

Thanks for the all the pics and inspiration.

N

Pupu,
Hopefully you are still around, your build is mindblowing and an inspiration.
Not sure if you've seen this yet but you could make a novelty Airline safety card using some of the images from these guys. http://www.airtoons.com/
or have the pros do it. http://www.cabinsafety.com/
It would be an extra small detail for your airplane section.
I'm working on a cocktail menu using the same idea for a restaurant project.
Keep up the great work.

Cheers

I just wanted to bump this thread to let Mr. Pupu Pants know we still want photo updates...

...Mr. Pupu Pants, I know you left because of a troll, but it looks like the troll is gone...the bridge is clear, so please post some updates!

For those of you new to the thread, have a good look from the beginning. It's an inspiring tiki room!

P

Mr. Pupu,

PLEASE disregard the "troll" and honor us with more photos/updates on the progress. I've followed it closely since the beginning and will hopefully be starting my own room soon, and yours has been a huge inspiration. I may try to pick your brain for some help on a few ideas I had that might require your ingenuity to figure out...

Mahalo,

Paul

RH

Shit a brick!

I haven't seen Mr. PuPu's genius at work for awhile, just saw the recent posts and have this to say:

I'm not posting on my art thread till my Main Man does on his.

So there.

I heard a rumor he's getting ready to post an update :fingers crossed:

OGR

Please Mr. PuPu, Throw us a Red Rib Bone or a Teriyaki Tid-bit!

Hope to see some updates soon Mr. Pupu!

H
harro posted on Tue, Oct 20, 2009 1:28 PM

long time fan of this thread, hoping for an update...!???

PuPu. First time I have posted on your thread although I have watched your progress from the start. It's been like a drug to see it all unfold and I need a fix. These long cold Michigan Fall nights would warm up with a little PuPu magic to get me through.

K

I need to see what it looks like now! It's my favorite home bar build ever!!

Hi Guys, thanks very much for the nice comments. Definitely missed hanging around Tiki Central. :)
I've been working on the basement and will post an update this weekend. I haven't gotten a ton done in the last month or two -- my wife and I were actually on vacation in France for much of September (her life-long dream trip)-- but I am definitely back at work on it now.

Had a great time :) and actually did see one Tiki place on the trip -- a small, beachside cafe near Nice and Monaco. It was called.....ummmm.....'Tiki Place'. Here's a picture:

Also, when we were at the D'Orsay Museum in Paris, we did see someone entering with a Tikiyaki flight bag. Was anyone from this site visiting that Museum and carrying that bag in early to mid-September? :)

Among other places, we also went to the D-day beaches (incredible and very moving) and Euro Disneyland. For all you fellow Disney fans -- it was a cool park but, overall, not nearly as detail-oriented as Anaheim. They did, however, still have a Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse (very cool):

Anyway, it's nice to be back at Tiki Central and I'll chat with you soon,
John

Yay.

Your work is amazing and genuinely inspirational and I hope you stay around Tiki Central at least long enough for me to wrangle an invite to a public showing.

T

On 2009-10-23 22:55, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:

GLAD to see you posting again, know you all had a nice vacation & look forward to your updates Mahalo Thortiki

Yeah, yeah - enough of the travelogue, let's see some pix of the Hideaway :lol:

W

Glad to see you're back and I look forward to seeing more of the Hideaway!

YES!

Hi Guys, sorry it's been so long. I'll post again very soon as I'm on roll right now :)
Here's a look at some progress on the bar. In the first couple of pictures you can also see a strip of metal that I was riveting to apply to the outer edge of the airplane section (it'll be distressed to look as though the plane was torn apart in a crash landing).

The front corner of the bar will be rounded and the upper level ('customer' side) of the bar top will have portholes every 1.5 ft. that are flush to the surface. You'll be able to look down into them to see lit display cases that have Hawaiian travel memorabilia.
The front edge of the bar will probably be wide bamboo with the customary rope light hidden behind it to create a nice glow.

A background behind the hula girl masthead will be painted to resemble shades of blue water with a lighting effect that looks like rising bubbles. The foot rail will be bamboo supported by carved struts.

I'll post some updated pictures of the booth and the airplane section later this week. Thanks for all the encouragement!!!
John

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-11-30 09:39 ]

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!! Welcome back Mr. Pupu. The bar looks fantastic and can't wait to see the airplane section. That lighting effect behind the figurehead in the bar sounds killer. Inspiring work as always and I am looking forward to more posts. Thanks again.

That is so inspirational. Amazing vision. I'm loving it.
And your bar structure certainly gave me some ideas for mine.

Thank you both very much!!!
Kon, just saw your bar thread --awesome, awesome job. Such great atmosphere.
The name of your bar made me think of an alternate name for mine (considering the travel theme and airplane seating):
'The Lei Over'.
Not sure what Hula Sue would think about that, however :)

Yea, Mr. Pupu is back!!! The hideaway is looking great!

WHOOHOOO!!! More Hideaway pix!

Looking great John. Did you find the riveted metal piece or did you have to drill and set all those rivets yourself? The portholes is a cool idea, keep us posted.

Hi Mike!
For the airplane 'skin', I actually bought some rolled aluminum flashing and drilled and riveted it myself. I'm going to add a hint of some airline paint stripes to it as well --- although I don't think they'll be all that noticable once it is distressed and 'shredded' (but I'll notice them) :)

On another note---this is a good time for me to toot your horn as a generous and creative tiki friend.

In an earlier post, I had mentioned that I was planning to have a video monitor running aerial footage within the porthole window of the airplane seating area. Well, Mike took it upon himself to create an awesome set of 'aerial' clips by building a miniature airplane wing (complete with Hula Sue moniker and engine), shooting it as a 'window P.O.V.' and adding sound effects and captain.s announcements. Over the course of several weeks , I received several DVDs of 'flight' footage (daytime, sunset and night time with clouds) in the mail. How's that for tiki community spirit and generosity? Mike, I know you did it for fun but it was also very kind and meant alot. Thank you again, kind Sir!!!

Oop, had to edit and add one thing -- Thank you Amy! I'm sure enjoying watching what you're doing with your new treehouse 'village'. It is beyond cool :)

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-11-30 14:38 ]

WooHoo! He's back, he's back, he's back!

Looking good Sir Pants of the Pupu! So good to have you back and posting pics of your bar progress.

P

YES!!!! I've been waiting and watching and waiting and watching some more, and now it's finally here, the update!! Thank you!! Looking great as it has since the start, thanks for sharing with us all again. I love the portholes in the bar idea, and the airliner area as well, great ideas...Any progress on the 3D relief map?

Aloha,

Paul

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 456 replies