Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 456 replies

Thanks ESP182,
Honestly, it's been a really painful, tough haul. I definitely appreciate the words of encouragement. Just wish I could heal alittle faster.

Several of you asked what I do in my day job. Part of that is Video production for Microsoft. Some is fun stuff, some of it is pretty dry. In the snippet below, from my earlier post, is a link to one of the videos I did outside of work for fun. (It's essentially a no-budget home movie but its the kind of thing I love to do and I thought you might get a kick out of it).

Back in the mid-90's on a trip to L.A. to shoot some stuff for work, I was able to take a day off to hang out with my brother. We just goofed around with the camera while he spent that day working from home (back when he worked on Ren and Stimpy).

I later waded through all the random footage and put together this little slice of who he is (at the time). These days, he's the same great guy but making much bigger budget stuff these days. I'm planning to make a part 2 of this video soon. It's long overdue :)

Anyway, I thought you might get a kick out of it -- he's an incredibly creative guy who also loves to make all kinds of cool stuff like the people on this forum.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3KpU9shrj4

Sorry, there was no Tiki in that last post.
Please forgive me.

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2011-04-06 18:23 ]

Wow, another great project! I am glad you are getting back on your feet!MDM finished a diorama for my Mojave bar using the light system he told you about, I will be posting pictures in the next few days. I cant wait to see how yous come out, you bar is an inspiration!

"Perpetual flushing toilet" :lol: That's funny, but it seems like he might feel that in the water bill! :o

Thanks Amy :)
Not quite back on my feet yet but much closer. Really can't wait to get back to work on my house. I've been doing alot of drawing and planning for my
Moonliner Spaceport Rec Room as well.

Can't wait to see what Mike has come up with for your diorama. He's a very creative guy and I'm sure it'll be awesome!

He lives in a much nicer (and environmentally friendly) place these days, Mike. :)
I guess I should have posted my little family video in Bilge or something -- thought people might get a kick out of it but this was probably the wrong place.

**I just want to add right off the top that I am moooooooost certainly no expert on any of this stuff and learned most of what I've been doing from just picking up the tools and experimenting. Some of it turned out well, some I wish I could have done better. There are many people on this site who just awe me with their talent and I take alot of inspiration from them and try to put my own twist in things. The 'tips' below are just what I arrived at when working on my bar and are only based on my subjective taste. That said.....blah, blah, blah :)

Since I've been down and out for a bit, it's given me time to read around the site alittle more than I usually have time for.
One of the basic jobs we all do as part of building a tiki bar is dealing with bamboo and how to make it look pretty. One thing I see people having mixed results with is the treatment/finish work on Bamboo

After treating/aging/'colorizing' what seemed like miles of bamboo for my own bar, I thought I would offer a few tips from experience. Obviously this type of thing can be very subjective but I thought I'd contribute alittle info that may help others who are just starting out. It may also just seem like a great
big 'well, DUH John!' to others.

Here's what I did when burnishing the bamboo for Hula Sue's and it seemed to result, for the most part, in a rich and naturally aged looking patina.

1. lightly burnish the entire pole with long feathered strokes as though you are using an airbrush to create a nice even flow of paint. With the torch already in motion at the beginning of a stroke feather it downward and then evenly through the stroke ---- ending the stroke by feathering it up and away from the wood. This will prevent the look of 'hard edges' where a burnish begins or ends)

Work your way around and down each pole, slightly overlapping until the whole thing has a nice warm 'Base Coat' of an aged, golden tone.

For the nodes do mini-versions of the same technique but go for slightly more feathered darkening on the node. Be careful to remain SUBTLE here and don't 'toast' the wood because the differences in contrast will be even more dramatic in a dimly lit room and you want it to look like natural aging, and varying degrees of wood tone --- not as though someone just spray painted the nodes black or burned periodic rings around each one. Naturally aged bamboo doesn't generally look like that and I think most of us want the warm golden-brown , 'years of nicotine' look of the classic tiki bars.

Also---you can't unburn wood. Build up a desired tone in steps and layers. If you do end up overdoing a bit here and there, you can take some steel wool and polish off some of the 'carbonized' wood to smooth out the tone of the finish.

The idea here again is to do some subtle tonal blending so it looks more natural

To create an overall blended feeling and pull the contrasting tones of the pole together, I lightly burnish or exaggerate an imperfection or unusual vertical grain(character)in the bamboo -- especially ones that run through more than one 'node section'. All this stuff helps to pull the effect you're creating together.

The trick is subtlety and graduated realism and not something that looks manufactured and too stark.

Additional ways to warm up the look are amber varnish or varnich mixed with stain. I'm sure similar info (and many more ideas) have probably been posted in other places on the site but, since I can't work on my own bar at the moment, I thought I'd try to contribute in other ways.
Aloha, my friends,
John

SPECIAL NOTE: when working out the tonal values and level of contrast between all the architectural elements you are creating for your bar, it's obviously also important to consider the lighting levels of the finished room, and how that will combine with what you've created to provide a unified design with the right balance of definition, detail and contrast and shading of all your materials. It really can make a huge difference in the overall look to consider the th relationships of 'cool' vs. 'warm' values with the colors you use and the range of tones of what invariably ends up being a majority of browns and beiges.

It's great if you can pick a group of complimentary tones and then work them in around the bar via your various materials and textures. It will really give you a pulled together, 'professional' look.

blah, blah, blah...what the hell do I know. :)
Just mentioning what has seemed to work for me.

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2011-12-28 08:00 ]

Hi Guys, as I look for things to do until I am physically able to get back to work on Hula Sue's,
I've most recently bored you with home movies and waxed poetic on how to burn bamboo.

Here's an idea I've been planning to do for a long time and thought I'd mock up for my TC pals
(aaaaaaand make myself feel like I've made an honest to goodness creative contribution in a while).

Over the years, I've collected several of the old motion lamps that have fish
and other creatures of the sea swimming in circles -- just like in your finer aquariums.

The illustrations below are just quick Photoshop mock-ups but the actual effect does work pretty nicely
to combine the spinner mechanism and spinner (and even the outer shell of the motion lamp as in the first
example), to create a nice (if kitschy) tropical themed lamp.

In the Glass float, you can also use some 'actual fake' undersea foliage to camouflage the physical base of the motion lamp
which also helps add to the 3D feel of the scene.

Just in case there is anyone unfamiliar with these cool old lamps, they basically work by using the air movement
generated by the the heat disappation of a light bulb to turn a vented 'spinner' --helping create (sometimes with
multiple juxtaposing patterns) all kinds of fun animated scenes.

Hope you like them and hope you all had a great weekend,
John

J

OMG.

That just gave me a (minimally) related idea for lampness.

Hey John good to see you up and around. Your lamp Ideas are cool! I actually have that motion lamp sitting in a box, great use of another item...... I love everthing you have done...

amy

On 2011-04-25 02:30, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Hi Guys, as I look for things to do until I am physically able to get back to work on Hula Sue's,
I've most recently bored you with home movies and waxed poetic on how to burn bamboo.

Here's an idea I've been planning to do for a long time and thought I'd mock up for my TC pals
(aaaaaaand make myself feel like I've made an honest to goodness creative contribution in a while).

and other creatures of the sea swimming in circles -- just like in your finer aquariums.

The illustrations below are just quick Photoshop mock-ups but the actual effect does work pretty nicely
to combine the spinner mechanism and spinner (and even the outer shell of the motion lamp as in the first

In the Glass float, you can also use some 'actual fake' undersea foliage to camouflage the physical base of the motion lamp

Just in case there is anyone unfamiliar with these cool old lamps, they basically work by using the air movement
generated by the the heat disappation of a light bulb to turn a vented 'spinner' --helping create (sometimes with

John

Cool idea John! I actually have one of those fish motion lamps set up in my tiki lounge (as you can see in the lower mid-right hand side of this photo...it looks bright white):

But I really like your idea! I may have to use that one.

Always a pleasure to peruse this thread. It's so awesome.

D

Brilliant! I love this idea! Such fun!

On 2011-04-25 02:30, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:

John

I really like the idea and how it looks in the mock-up of the fishing float, but I can think of one major stumbling block to it working in a fishing float: you need an air inlet at the bottom for cool air to come in & be heated by the lamp, and an outlet at the top to let out hot air. I think turning speed is affected by the amount of airflow, too, so the inlet & outlet holes can't be too small.

Thinking out loud, a possible way to disguise these needed holes (besides using the aforementioned real fake undersea foliage at top & bottom) could be to make the fishing float/motion fish lamp the central float in a vertical trio of fish floats, with the needed air holes camouflaged by the knot work securing the three floats in line.

Taking this direction in disguising the air holes for the lamp also affords you the possibility of using red & green "floats" above & below the motion lamp and putting flicker lamps in them for added atmosphere, or using frosted "floats" and putting an RGB LED, a randomizing driver, & a battery in each to make a color changing light, like the new Mickey Balloons at Disneyland (only slower in their color changing I'd think).

[EDIT]I distracted myself too much there and forgot that I wanted to say I hope you're making great strides in getting better! PT can be a bear, and improvements can be small in the short term, but keep working at it and you'll continue to get better in the long run.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2011-04-29 17:18 ]

Thanks Freddie :)
Or I could just cheat and use one of those small Christmas ornament rotators as a motor and move the spinners inside the glass floats that way.

On 2011-04-30 01:35, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Thanks Freddie :)
Or I could just cheat and use one of those small Christmas ornament rotators as a motor and move the spinners inside the glass floats that way.

Those little ones that plug into the Christmas light sockets? I think the lamps that rotate on heat from the lamp need at least a Nightlight lamp to generate enough heat, but with a plug in rotator you could use a smaller, cooler light, like a 1-3 LED lamp; more mood, less lighting. Less heat from the lamp means smaller access holes and less possibility of damage to the rotating shade. Smart!

E
ESP182 posted on Thu, Jul 7, 2011 1:53 PM

Hey Mr Pants -

Any updates on the bar?

PP

wow sooo so cool!!!! I love the booth and the relief map of Hawaii behind it!! You've given me some great ideas!!! keep up the great work

paul

Wow! Your bar is truly amazing and you are an excellent craftsman. Are you available for hire:)

Perhaps sometime this summer some of the Seattle TC'ers could make a pilgrimage up to view the bar? If you would be open to the idea let me know and I'll try to organize a few of us coming up. I promise I'll bring some good rum to leave behind!

Cheers!

Hello my friends, thanks so much for the kinds words. I appreciate them more than you know.
Here's an update on my lack of updates (and my current condition).

Mr. Pupu's Surgical Adventure:
In an attempt at a little escape from the excruciating pain and cervical nerve damage of my car accident earlier this year,
I recently enjoyed a one week stay at the lavishly pain-inducing NW Hospital Surgical Spa and Resort.
I originally booked the 'Cut and Run Getaway' to remove and replace some spinal disc (with cadaver bone
from a previous resort visitor) and fuse three of the cervical vertebrae in my neck. I was told I would return home the next day.

I jumped right into the scheduled activities.
Following the first session of 'Spinal Arts and Crafts', I was gently awakened to refreshingly agonizing pain,
an energizing blood pressure of 220/117 and a partied out right shoulder and arm (impaired and mostly immobile).

Two days later, I was invited by the Surgical Activities Director to take a second ride on the romantic
gurney for one -- and additional cervical fun and relaxation.

Unfortunately, no improvement to the shoulder or arm was had. I'm glad I didn't take any video of the trip.
It would only have been a very bad scene on the cutting room floor.

Even though I'm home now, I'm still taking additional 'trips' and the Oxycocktails they serve are great -- if a bit strong.

I just look forward to letting go of all the baggage and seeing some (or maybe even all) of the function return to
my shoulder and arm. I have to remember that getting there is supposed to be half the fun.
The problem is that the other half of the fun could be delayed by weeks, months or ... longer.

Whatever happened to those good, old-fashioned 'weekend getaways' to be bled by leeches?

Thanks again for the encouragement. I'll still be working on the little stuff until I can work on the big stuff. :)

[ Edited by: mr. pupu pants 2011-10-11 16:57 ]

Oh Man, not great news, but you hang in there, get better
Take care, I have been there too.

CTiT

J

Hang in there, man.

W

Get better soon Pupu, I miss seing updates to your cool space.

Mahalo!

Chris

http://www.westadad.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: WestADad 2011-07-30 08:18 ]

Whoa, that's rough. The psychical therapy is gonna be harsh, but keep at it sir! The end will definitely justify the means.

H
harro posted on Sat, Jul 30, 2011 8:08 PM

whoa, that sounds like a bad trip, here's hoping your adventures take a turn for the better soon. We're all eagerly awaiting our next virtual tour through your wild imagination / home bar. but for now just take it easy.

Well John, at least you haven't lost your sense of humor or your writing ability! Keep a stiff upper lip, thus too shall pass - hope you recover rapidly and completely.

Very sorry to hear that John. Hang in there, it has to get better. right? I suggest keeping a notebook handy when you are on your Oxycocktail "trips". You will probably come up with more fantastic ideas for Hula Sue's!
I don't live far from you, so if you ever need a hand with anything, just message me. I'd be glad to help.

Sounds like you're having a rough time, but nice to see you're posting with great humour. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I just found this thread a couple of days ago and finally made it from the start to the current posts. I was very excited to see such a cool build in the local Seattle area, and I was hoping to hit the end and see the completion of this amazing project ... but it seems the story had a bit of a twist.

I am very sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you are recovering as quickly and as comfortably as possible after your surgery. If you ever need a hand on this project, even if it is just lifting heavy objects or shaking up some Mai Tais, let me know. I'd love to pitch in and help with whatever I can.

Finally I just want to say how impressive Hula Sue's is. I love the unique details like the airplane section, the diorama and the hole in the roof. You are really setting the bar (so to speak) for Tiki Central. It's an inspired build and I can't wait to see more.

E

Dear Mr. Pupu Pants -

Hang tough!! We're all rooting for you to get better!

I too just got through the entire thread. I am absolutely gob-smacked with your creativity and talent! There is just so much to love about your tiki room project, but being a big Disney fan I cannot wait to see the talking tiki poles. I really hope you make a video of the place when you are done for us all to see.

Meanwhile I am very sorry to hear about the accident and the difficulties in recovery. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for a speedy recovery. Hang in there mr. pu pu. :)

Wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery. It's a bummer to get sidelined, hope you will have the vigor needed to again unleash your amazing craftsmanship soon!

Pu(2),
Sounds like it's time for you to write a book. You're brilliant, funny, have great ideas, and are unable to work on your masterpiece right now. Whether it's a how-to, anecdotes or a tiki mystery, I'd buy your book.

Dear Mr. Pupupants. I just came across this thread and was blown away not only by your mad creative genius, but the enregy and craftsmanship to make it all happen. This is totally amazing! You are truly a gifted individual. Like so many others here on TC I wish you the best in your recovery. Know that you have many well wishers who may be strangers to you on the street, but are kindred spirits at heart. Cheers & Mahalo.

Q

Sir PuPu Pants,
You had me at Aloha! Like many others, I too have recently discovered the thread of all threads where you have truly kicked some Tiki ass and taken tiki names!
Your kindness and willingness to share your life, your build and a part of who you are is a truly beautiful gift to the TC community.

THANK YOU, Mahalo and my best wishes for your recovery!

PUPU Pants... PUPU Pants... PUPU Pants... PUPU Pants... PUPU Pants... PUPU Pants!!!

:)

On 2011-07-30 02:53, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:

Thanks again for the encouragement. I'll still be working on the little stuff until I can work on the big stuff. :)

[ Edited by: mr. pupu pants 2011-10-11 16:57 ]

Aloha PuPu,

Need any help on the big stuff?

BB

Mr PuPu Pants, I just discovered Tiki Central within the last couple of days and your post earlier today. I read through the entire thread & really got the feeling that I grew to know you to a very small extent. I just wanted to say that I hope you are feeling much better! I respect and admire the glimpse of yourself that was shared on this thread. I will be keeping my eye out for any updates & hoping that your next post will be filled with good news about your recovery. Best wishes! Get well soon!
Aloha, Rick

Awesome

Aloha John. I have been reading a great book lately. Escape Of The Pacific Clipper. It is a great read about a Pan Am clipper stuck in New Zealand when Pearl Harbor happens and their journey home running from the invading Japanese and Germans the whole way. The book reminded me of your fantastic clipper diorama project and how great the progress photos look. Thanks for sharing your talents with all of us.

N
Nirre posted on Sat, Mar 17, 2012 1:20 AM

Awesome bar!! Really nice!

Hope you doing well John!

Hi John...I can certainly sympathize with you, my back is a mess and I need to have surgery, just trying to shed pounds and get to a normal size before I go under the blade. Hope you are doing better. Keep us posted. hugshugs Vamp

Hope you are doing well John! Hopefully you will surprise us one day with tons of new photos of the bar!

J

Ditto! You were the subject of much reverential comment at Hukilau 2012.

Thanks so much to all of you.
Your comments really lifted my spirits and made my day. For now, my medical situation remains the same but I have been slowly making some progress on Hula Sue's and will try to post some new information very soon. (I'm trying to gear up for a 'premiere' party for my brother's upcoming film, Madagascar 3, in June.)
Thank you all again for such truly kind words.
Take care :)
John

Hooray! Good to hear from you, John. Take care of yourself & please keep us updated on your wonderful room.

J

Excellent to hear from you, and know that progress is, er, progressing...even at a slow pace.

T

John -

I was sharing this with some coworkers, and they were awestruck to say the least!

Happy thoughts on recovering to 100%!

Looking forward to your next post and update!

Mahalo and Aloha!

Amazing work. Followed the thread back to the beginning. Love the concepting. When you are done with it (probably will never be officially complete) you should collect your sketches and images and create a little book to show your guests.

Speedy recovery and looking forward to seeing more!!!

John, Glad to hear fro0m you, Hope things get better, cant wait to see the new pics!

Amy

P

Aloha John,

Great to hear from you, but not that things aren't progressing on your recovery as well as could be hoped. Please be sure to take care of yourself, many of us like to use your work for inspiration.

Malama Pono.

Paul

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 456 replies