Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Disneyland Enchanted Tiki Room Art Event TODAY JUNE 22, 2008

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

On 2008-06-24 21:28, tobunga wrote:
Well, I really don't want to add to the grumbling that's already been posted, but as an attendee of several Disneyland Merchandising Events over the years (Pirates, Haunted Mansion), Disneyland never seems to learn from their repeated mistakes. It seems every event is poorly planned and executed. But like a dope, I keep coming back.

I didn't get the item for which I stood in a three hour line to purchase, the 5 figure tiki god set. It sold out by the time I got into Disneyana at 10.45am.
The edition was 1,000 but apparently they only received about 100 sets. (Disneyland didn't bother to inform us of this, unlike the fountains) So I got to pay an extra 35.00 for shipping when I ordered it by phone the next day! That was the Happiest Phone Call on Earth!

I would think after repeated merchandising fiascoes, Disneyland would know to order the product with enough time to insure they have plenty on hand for the saps that are willing to stand in a three hour line to purchase it.

At least I have an annual pass, so I didn't have to pay to get into the park, plus the discount the pass provides.

But the Tiki Room 50th is only five years away... and the Haunted Mansion 40th is next year! They've got me hooked!

You should call back and get your shipping back you shouldnt of had to pay shipping at all. If you were in line and they ran out you were to get free shipping when it did come back in. As well they did run out at 10:45 but if you asked them they got more in later that day. you could of paid for it at the disneyana store and come back in 2 hours to pick it up. that is what I did. I feel for you I really do, that is not right. Tell them you were in line and you want a manager! Same goes for the fountain if you are on the list you get free shipping for that too.

Stop giving Disney your money for product releases like this.. Stop waiting in line.. and Disney might stop handling events this way.. scumbags will stop seeing it as an opportunity to scalp.

I was at the event 5 years ago. It sucked... All the descriptions you all are providing of waiting HOURS and HOURS in line.. poorly planned.. running out of product... etc etc

I watched as people from the front of the line... tried scalping product to the people in the back of the line... and some people actually paid.....

ITS ALL THE SAME as it was 5 years ago.

Lust, Greed, Avarice...

I vowed NEVER to go back and do it ever again.... problem solved.

Easy

T

Oh Monkeyman, if I only had your willpower...

Thanks for the advice tiki-a-fair!

Thanks for the suggestion... I already complained when I placed the order, but they said no... I could have gotten angry and cursed out the castmember, but he was just the phone guy.
The problem was I couldn't remember what the number of the edition was. If I had known for certain that 1,000 pieces couldn't have been sold in 3 hours, I would have made sure I got on some sort of list before I left Disneyana.

But honestly, the castmembers inside Disneyanna were extremely unhelpful. The only response I got was "That item is sold out." They must have known that the full order wasn't received, and that more were on the way, but they did not really seem very interested in providing good customer service, just get 'em in and out, make room for the next wave of suckers...

I passed Disneyana several times later that day, and there was always a huge line, and I didn't want to wait in it again, and I'm sure everyone would have been annoyed if I barged into Disneyana ahead of the line.

And it's not that I mind waiting in line... I met some really great tiki fans, and it's all sort of part of the experience, but the attitude of some of the castmembers is a little diheartening when you consider we're there waiting, and willing to pay for some cool stuff... just keep us informed of our options, and up to date info (the way the delt with the fountains, for example, was pretty good).

Oh well... maybe I'll call DelivEARs again and complain some more.

Like Monkeyman, I was at the Tiki Room event 5 years ago too. These posts could just as well have been about that one. That year I got myself an annual pass and noticed that things that had run out (Shag shirts, etc) kept materializing throughout the year. Often different versions. I'll bet if people keep their eyes peeled some of these goodies and more will surface in the coming months. I'm still hoping for an affordable set of the tiki prints like the Shag prints last time around. It's hard to believe that with the obvious interest they haven't done that yet.

On 2008-06-25 11:52, spy-tiki wrote:
Like Monkeyman, I was at the Tiki Room event 5 years ago too. These posts could just as well have been about that one. That year I got myself an annual pass and noticed that things that had run out (Shag shirts, etc) kept materializing throughout the year. Often different versions. I'll bet if people keep their eyes peeled some of these goodies and more will surface in the coming months. I'm still hoping for an affordable set of the tiki prints like the Shag prints last time around. It's hard to believe that with the obvious interest they haven't done that yet.

They had prints for $35 not too bad, they are quite nice, but they should make some more of the one of kind art they had, they were amazing.

T

Where you the lucky winner? It's such a nice one.

sorry I just realized it isnt over yet, sorry about that. Well if your the bidder, I hope you win.

It is over on the 29th, so we will see how much it goes for.

here is the link to the first merch release in September 2003.

just like it was yesterday... so many people moved on... no longer here.

Enchanted Tiki Room Event 2003

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2008-06-25 14:27 ]

T

On 2008-06-25 11:06, Monkeyman wrote:
Stop giving Disney your money for product releases like this.. Stop waiting in line.. and Disney might stop handling events this way.. scumbags will stop seeing it as an opportunity to scalp.

I was at the event 5 years ago. It sucked... All the descriptions you all are providing of waiting HOURS and HOURS in line.. poorly planned.. running out of product... etc etc

I watched as people from the front of the line... tried scalping product to the people in the back of the line... and some people actually paid.....

ITS ALL THE SAME as it was 5 years ago.

Lust, Greed, Avarice...

I vowed NEVER to go back and do it ever again.... problem solved.

Easy

I'm with you on that. I think Disney really takes advantage of it's many worshippers. Somehow I don't think that this is the kind of thing Walt had in mind when he created Disneyland...not to the extent that they've taken it to now, anyway.

I'm glad I'm not a Disneyphile.

Me too!
i just wanna kick all those lanyard wearing pin collectors right in the BUTT!

The best solution to this would be for TC members not to buy the item and to support this kind of behavior. Unfortunately somebody is going to buy it (there are already 7 offers).

So the next best solution would be to buy the item, then publish the seller's name, address, email, and phone number on TC so we could mercilessly flame the guy. :wink:

On 2008-06-24 21:07, Tom Slick wrote:

On 2008-06-24 19:38, WooHooWahine wrote:
This is sickening!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disneyland-Tiki-Room-Enchanted-Fountain-45th-SIGNED-LE_W0QQitemZ190232216423QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1380QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Truly, a 100% scumbag...It's because of assholes like this I waited 4 hours in line just to have my name added to a list.

TM

On 2008-06-24 19:12, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Seriously, how much do you think it would have cost the Disney Company to hire the a ukulele player for five hours

Pat Enos from the Smoking Menehunes would have been glad to do it. He is one of the greatest ukelele players in California. Come see him play Friday at the Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach, then call Disney and tell them they need him!

On 2008-06-25 15:29, little lost tiki wrote:
Me too!
i just wanna kick all those lanyard wearing pin collectors right in the BUTT!

hahaha, You will be kicking me in the butt. I Use to collect Disney pin, but not nerdy enough to wear a Pin Lanyard. I hide them in my pockets !!

TS

Someone bended and bought the fountain for $449.00....As long as people keep caving, sellers(or scalpers)will continue to supply....What a shame...That seller is laughing all the way to the bank. :roll:

T

Not that I'm defending the ebay seller, but to people who would have had to buy a plane ticket, accommodations, admission to the park and every other trip-related expense, $500.00 is probably a deal. (plus no waiting in line)

I guess there's no real way around that sort of practice, but it is annoying when it is at the expense of real fans... exacerbated by Disneyland's continual botching of these events.

Actually, the buyer probably had a chance to order one by phone and only pay shipping additionally, considering the level at which this event was mishandled and the actual number of fountains that are still available.

[ Edited by: tobunga 2008-06-25 22:08 ]

Thanks to Ken & Beth for a great dinner, yummy cocktails and the ride to Brads for my stash tonight.

Mucho kudos to Brad & Melony for fighting the crowds at D-Land to grab me some goodies (bowl, towel, bracelet) as all are fabulous. Your home in beautiful...and your collection is awesome...I am totally enamored of your kitchen TV Tiki (he wanted to come home with me you know!!!). UDAMAN Brad...delish Mai Tais. Save your energy for the 50th. :D

I was at the 40th Tiki Room Anniversary as well. It was actually alot smoother than this past 50th anniversary. I also attended the POTC event in 2000, and Former Disneyland President Cynthia Harris was compelled to refund the admissions to all attendees who purchased the $85/person ticket admissions. Same scenario....Line up on Main Street, view and purchase product, BUT pick it up after 3pm. That was a fiasco. Computers went down, and all orders had to be hand filled. I decided to stay at the park until close, and went to pick up my merchandise. So did about 400 other people. I left the front gates at 4:30am because of the huge mess up. But, at least they offered free drinks including coffee and free retail candy as part of a well needed apology. You would think that in 8 years of merchandise mishaps, they would have this thing nailed, but apparently people quit or move on to other positions, and leave no notes for the people taking over the events in following years. In other words, like most big businesses, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
"What we have here, is a FAILURE to commmunicate."

Anyhow, I better get a call for my fountain and NOT be charged shipping. I'll tell them to deduct it from my park admission, parking fee, and gas money.
They KNEW they didnt have all 500 fountains, and they KNEW they didn't have the 1,000LE figurine box sets. The event was led under false pretenses. Maybe as someone told me at the park, was a predetermined ploy for Disneyland to make extra money on shipping charges...You never know about those commie mousers! :lol:

And it gets better....The person that sold the first fountain now has a second one up for sale. I'll bet that person had friends to tag along to buy 4 or 6 fountains so the seller "deluxeprinters" could flip it on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Disneyland-Tiki-Room-Enchanted-Fountain-45th-SIGNED-LE_W0QQitemZ190232508730QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1380QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and here's another ebay fountain link that sold for $350 with buy it now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250262883093&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-06-25 23:16 ]

That's all BS! We were about the 20th-21st people at Disneyline that morning (at 6am) and by the time they let us in there had to be 100-125 people ahead of us! Next time we're staying the night at the Grand Californian and taking two friends along! We got our names on the list for three fountains....I'll pre-sale one right now for $500! LOL!

E

Just went last night to Disneyana - here is what they still had on display -

Rongo Bowl - 6 left - asked the employee
Bracelets - a good amount (20+), seemed to have not been a favorite item.
T-shirt
Pitcher
Glassware
Toothpick glasses (Looking up in the disney dictionary that is - shot glasses)
Purse
Pillow - they didn't have these when we made it in, so shipments obviously still slowly coming in.
Jewelry Box - it wasn't with the bulk of the items, it was off on a shelf opposite where the bulk of the items were being shown.
A good amount of artwork, I don't know if this was a limited run, but figured I throw in the update.

I'd say keep calling delivears for updates on when they get in the remaining collector's set, since previous posts said they didn't have the amount stated that were to be produced. There was no mention from the employees on Sunday that there was a shortage, ala - The Fountain.

So that is the report from Disneyana.

On 2008-06-25 23:32, SoccerTiki wrote:
That's all BS! We were about the 20th-21st people at Disneyline that morning (at 6am) and by the time they let us in there had to be 100-125 people ahead of us! Next time we're staying the night at the Grand Californian and taking two friends along! We got our names on the list for three fountains....I'll pre-sale one right now for $500! LOL!

Yes It was sad how they had the magic mornings and they got in 1 hour before park opening, So if you stay at the grand californian so you can get the early mornings, we called and found out you have to 3 nights in a row to get magic mornings. More money to spend. It's crazy.

Jewelry box ???

anybody got a picture?

It was not in the Disney gallery page of merchadise being offered pictures.

Also which Bracelet was still available?

thanks in advance

On 2008-06-26 14:24, princessP wrote:
Jewelry box ???

anybody got a picture?

thanks in advance

The only bracelet is the green plastic bird one, the charm bracelet wasnt done in time and they dont know when it will be available. As far as the jewelry box, I believe it is the one that is on ebay, maybe type in disney or disneyland tiki room box.

On 2008-06-26 14:37, tiki-a-fair wrote:

On 2008-06-26 14:24, princessP wrote:
Jewelry box ???

anybody got a picture?

thanks in advance

Here's the link for the box

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEYLAND-TIKI-ROOM-OLSZEWSKI-LE-BOX-DISNEY-HAWAIIAN_W0QQitemZ150262901996QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1379QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the item number in case the link doesnt work 150262901996

The only bracelet is the green plastic bird one, the charm bracelet wasnt done in time and they dont know when it will be available. As far as the jewelry box, I believe it is the one that is on ebay, maybe type in disney or disneyland tiki room box.

Did you happen to notice if they had any more of our sterling pendants that were in the glass case in the gallery where you check out?

Thanks, Jen

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 4:54 PM

I guess the box has been out for a while, which is why it wasn't listed. I'm pretty sure it was $60. I want one, but resisted... I may go back for one. :)

I didn't get to go back Sunday afternoon to see if any of the silver pendants were left - can you post pictures of them, if it's allowed? I think people here would be excited to see them, and the next person out there would be able to look for them.

To add insult to injury, Deluxeprinters lifted the fountain photo from the Disney website and then watermarked the photo with his own name when he put it on Ebay.

On 2008-06-25 22:29, Tom Slick wrote:
And it gets better....The person that sold the first fountain now has a second one up for sale. I'll bet that person had friends to tag along to buy 4 or 6 fountains so the seller "deluxeprinters" could flip it on ebay.
[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-06-25 23:16 ]

Talk about infringement!!! Gheeeeeez

E

Here are images of the jewelry box

There were the limited edition pendant's and jewelry still there - I think the price tags of $400+ make em a hard sell.

[ Edited by: ESP182 2008-06-26 22:13 ]

TS

There were 3 or 4 pendants left when I was at Disneyana on Wednesday afternoon, I cant remember which. They were very nice, and located in the glass case near the back register.

Also, just to restate that box above wasn't a part of the anniversary merchandise, but rather a unique heirloom box collection by Robert Olszewski. They are all LE, and the Tiki Room Heirloom Box is a production of 1,963. The detailing is pretty remarkable. Downside is the box being pretty fragile, made out of some type of resin/polystone.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-06-26 21:54 ]

On 2008-06-27 08:10, Sync wrote:

Well, I called first thing on Friday 06/27/08, got right in, and found they DO KNOW ABOUT THE LIST! They checked and found that my name was on it and said they will give me a call when they are available. They were fully aware that some people were at the park that didn't get on the list because they were too far down the line or whatever. They said they had known about the list but just didn't have it for awhile but they have it now.

Thatnks for the photo's of the box.

Yes it was not part of the anniversary merchandise and Is an heirloom / momento box.

I thought it was a Jewlery box ..

On another note I got my stuff today from Disney Delivers. Very nice and very happy with them. My shipping was only $30 bucks. Much easier on the pocket book than an $250 dollar plan ride and waiting inline for 5 or 6 hours.

On 2008-06-26 08:33, ESP182 wrote:
Just went last night to Disneyana - here is what they still had on display -

Rongo Bowl - 6 left - asked the employee
Bracelets - a good amount (20+), seemed to have not been a favorite item.
T-shirt
Pitcher
Glassware
Toothpick glasses (Looking up in the disney dictionary that is - shot glasses)
Purse
Pillow - they didn't have these when we made it in, so shipments obviously still slowly coming in.
Jewelry Box - it wasn't with the bulk of the items, it was off on a shelf opposite where the bulk of the items were being shown.
A good amount of artwork, I don't know if this was a limited run, but figured I throw in the update.

I'd say keep calling delivears for updates on when they get in the remaining collector's set, since previous posts said they didn't have the amount stated that were to be produced. There was no mention from the employees on Sunday that there was a shortage, ala - The Fountain.

So that is the report from Disneyana.

What does the jewelry box look like? Anyone have a pic?

S

So there WERE prints of the tikis? (for 30 bucks... not 500 or whatever it was) Is that something they are going to carry for a while (like the Shag prints?). I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the event and the merchendise. Anyone...?

On 2008-06-26 20:44, ESP182 wrote:

There were the limited edition pendant's and jewelry still there - I think the price tags of $400+ make em a hard sell.

Gee I wonder who made the jewelry ????

And Disney sets the prices not the artists.

I wish the artist got half of the money things sell for .

Hey Mieko

I saw your suggestion but have been up to my eyeballs in work and didn't have time to photograph them.

So, here at last are the photos (on the hawaiian print) of Pele, Jose and Maui, and computer renders (on the sand) of Monkey Drummers and Koro (Disney still has my artist's proofs that they have to return). These are only editions of 10 each and I can tell you that the ones Disneyland has are Numbers 1 and 2 of each design. They are approximately 2.5 inches tall. The Jose, Maui, Pele and Koro are all $400, they are solid Sterling Silver on Black leather cords in Rosewood boxes with certificates of authenticity. The Monkey Drummers are $600, they too are solid Sterling Silver, with a Tahitian Pearl (approx. 11mm), on a fairly thick Sterling Silver chain in a Rosewood box with certificates of authenticity. Depending on the interest in them, they may do the entire edition of 10 each, or these 2 of each design may be it. They are build directly from photos of the actual tikis with the exception of Jose which is from Amanda Vissell's artwork.

Thanks, Jen

[ Edited by: Skinny Dog 2008-06-30 09:22 ]

TS

The drummers are incredible....I didn't see that one at Disneyana....I must have missed it! Freakin awesome job....

Hey Tom

Thanks for the props. I love that one too. The jewelry was in the case everyone piled their purchases on.
So I don't think a lot of people saw them the opening day .

Jen

[ Edited by: Skinny Dog 2008-06-30 09:21 ]

WooHooWahine and I were at D-line yesterday and stopped by Disneyana...The charm bracelets are in! It's funny (actually typical Disney lately) because I called first to see if they were in and they told me "No". So I asked the girl at the counter and she brought a couple out from the store room!

Also picked up the TIKI ROOM shadow box!

(There was a guy in there buying a few of them...I smelled "ebayer") :P

"Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2008-07-04 10:55 ]

Pages: 1 2 87 replies