Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Billy the Cruds' work, via KINGMAN ARIZONA-Maori BAR!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies

Tiki Shrine Squid found a home. Thanks, Tower Tattoo!!

On 2008-07-21 02:41, Billy the Crud wrote:
I said no fighting on my thread, man. The time has come for all of us to bury petty squabbles. Our community is way too small for that.

Bullsnot! I'm from Philly where we keep snowballs in the freezer all year.

But seriously, all families have squabbles, Bill. It's how they solve problems or shed light on inequities.

One should think our community is way to small for deviously organized PM campaigns against other members.

I waited almost an year to see what kind of grit San Diego's organized choppers were made of.

Would they silently go along with the suggested banning of a fellow carver who's been into tiki all his life, owns a ten year old tiki shop (where Otto used to send little packages of Tiki News to sell over the counter! Those were the days!)...

or would they be outraged as most normal people of conscience, and do something about it?

They seem such nice folks when I encounter them elsewhere, Talented carvers every one. I genuinely want to like them.

Perhaps they are doing something about it right now.

Perhaps I shall hold my breath a little longer...

Sorry Billy. To apologise for my distracting rant, please accept this pic of some hunky lumberjack I found at the bus station.

Imagine how happy you'll be to show Bella this when you're old, pasty and out of shape like me! (um, I cropped away some of the butt.) :wink:

Jeeze, I was a fatass last year!! Thanks for ditching the ass.

"We Like Big Buttz And We Can Not Lie...."

T

'Billy Bashing' 'Billy Bashing'..'Dog the bounty hunter is back on the air!
Boy did Mrs. Dog lose some weight...but not on top!

After he used the dreaded "n" word, in a country that prides itself on free speech?

THE SHAME!! THE HORROR!!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 5:16 PM

I thought this thread was about Billy showing off his tikis :roll:

Come on, bring on some more CRUD! :D

HEY!! I LOVE the Captain Crud! Ok, I'm all moved and ready to carve in a couple of days. I'll post up a couple of pics of the new 6 footer that I'm working on for a friend in a day or so. My back went out, so I need to sucker someone into helping me unload it. My back went out again and I had a fun trip to the emergency room, where it took TWO SHOTS OF DILAUDID(that other stuffs' for squares!) and a valium to calm the spasms. NOT a fun night.......until the dilaudid, that is.

New 6 footer for a lady friend at Oasis8 1/3rd finished because of my back....UGH!!

View my work @

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-31 09:44 ]

Potluck BBQ at my new place, Saturday at 3pm. PM me for addy and etails if interested. Musubi will be here. So will Cam(whether he wants to or not!).

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2008 7:09 AM

What's a potluck BBQ? Bring yer own burgers? And who is Musubi?

Just bring SOMETHING. A nice side-dish, a bottle, or a couple of strippers. But if you bring strippers, they have to bring something, too.

What is a "potluck", you ask?

Folk etymology has derived the term "potluck" from the Native American custom of potlatch; the word "potluck", however, is actually of English origin. It is a portmanteau word formed from (cooking) pot and lucke. The earliest written citation is from 1592: "That that pure sanguine complexion of yours may never be famisht with pot lucke," Thomas Nashe.[3] As this shows, the original meaning was "food given away to guests", probably derived from "whatever food one is lucky enough to find in the pot", i.e. whatever food happens to be available, especially when offered to a guest. By extension, a more general meaning is "whatever is available in a particular circumstance or at a particular time."

Potluck dinners are often organized by religious or community groups, since they simplify the meal planning and distribute the costs among the participants. Smaller, more informal get-togethers with distributed food preparation may also be called potlucks. The only traditional rule is that each dish be large enough to be shared among a good portion (but not necessarily all) of the anticipated guests. In some cases each participant agrees ahead of time to bring a single course, and the result is a multi-course meal. Guests may bring in any form of food, ranging from the main course to desserts.

One variation is the Safari Supper, where a group of neighbors physically move between different houses for each part of the meal. Typically, this involves the preparation of one course only (a starter, main course or dessert), and visiting different neighbors for the other 2 courses. Although it is a little difficult to explain, and does require careful and complex planning, the idea is relatively straightforward: for example, Neighbor A makes a starter, and is visited by Neighbors B and C. After this, Neighbor A moves to a different house, Neighbor D, and is joined by Neighbor E. Neighbors B and C go on to different houses also, but not the same one. Finally, a similar pattern for dessert: Neighbor A moves to Neighbor F's house, joined by Neighbor G. This style of eating has recently become popular as a charity fund raiser in rural Britain, and is seen as a good way of meeting different neighbors in the community by virtue of each participant having 6 separate guests.

Another variation on the potluck dinner is the rota meal. Participants take turns providing food for the entire group, rather than each participant bringing a dish. For regular meals with a fairly consistent set of participants, this dramatically reduces the amount of preparation effort required.

Another variation, popular in America, is the Traveling Dinner (or Progressive Supper). Each course of a meal is served at different homes. For example the appetizer is served in the first home, the entree in the second home, and the dessert in the last home. The number of courses can be expanded depending on the number of guests. Some groups may choose to have a Reverse Progressive Dinner where the diners eat the courses backwards. A constraining factor of the traveling potluck is Drinking and Driving. Groups have opted to manage this by limiting the guest list to neighbors within walking distance, a designated driver, or limiting alcohol consumption. Another strategy has been for groups to hire a limo for the evening.
(wikipedia)

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2008 5:39 PM

WTF?! Did you eat a dictionary?

Hey, you can't shut Billy up even on TC!!!

Is it true you can fit three billiard balls in your mouth????

And is this party tomorrow, cause I'll be pretty busy next Saturday.

You wanted to know what a potluck was, man.....there it is. I think on the Islands, potluck means you're just lucky that's not YOU in the pot, but lucky for you, they don't eat Canadians....too dry!

Yeah, potluck BBQ tomorrow, eh.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2008 5:56 PM

*Folk etymology has derived the term "potluck" from the Native American custom of potlatch; the word "potluck", however, is actually of English origin. It is a portmanteau word formed from (cooking) pot and lucke. The earliest written citation is from 1592: "That that pure sanguine complexion of yours may never be famisht with pot lucke," Thomas Nashe.[3] As this shows, the original meaning was "food given away to guests", probably derived from "whatever food one is lucky enough to find in the pot", i.e. whatever food happens to be available, especially when offered to a guest. By extension, a more general meaning is "whatever is available in a particular circumstance or at a particular time."

Potluck dinners are often organized by religious or community groups, since they simplify the meal planning and distribute the costs among the participants. Smaller, more informal get-togethers with distributed food preparation may also be called potlucks. The only traditional rule is that each dish be large enough to be shared among a good portion (but not necessarily all) of the anticipated guests. In some cases each participant agrees ahead of time to bring a single course, and the result is a multi-course meal. Guests may bring in any form of food, ranging from the main course to desserts.

One variation is the Safari Supper, where a group of neighbors physically move between different houses for each part of the meal. Typically, this involves the preparation of one course only (a starter, main course or dessert), and visiting different neighbors for the other 2 courses. Although it is a little difficult to explain, and does require careful and complex planning, the idea is relatively straightforward: for example, Neighbor A makes a starter, and is visited by Neighbors B and C. After this, Neighbor A moves to a different house, Neighbor D, and is joined by Neighbor E. Neighbors B and C go on to different houses also, but not the same one. Finally, a similar pattern for dessert: Neighbor A moves to Neighbor F's house, joined by Neighbor G. This style of eating has recently become popular as a charity fund raiser in rural Britain, and is seen as a good way of meeting different neighbors in the community by virtue of each participant having 6 separate guests.

Another variation on the potluck dinner is the rota meal. Participants take turns providing food for the entire group, rather than each participant bringing a dish. For regular meals with a fairly consistent set of participants, this dramatically reduces the amount of preparation effort required.

Another variation, popular in America, is the Traveling Dinner (or Progressive Supper). Each course of a meal is served at different homes. For example the appetizer is served in the first home, the entree in the second home, and the dessert in the last home. The number of courses can be expanded depending on the number of guests. Some groups may choose to have a Reverse Progressive Dinner where the diners eat the courses backwards. A constraining factor of the traveling potluck is Drinking and Driving. Groups have opted to manage this by limiting the guest list to neighbors within walking distance, a designated driver, or limiting alcohol consumption. Another strategy has been for groups to hire a limo for the evening.
(wikipedia)

Who do you think you are quoting all this Wikipedia crap, VampiressRN?

You're just mad because Brian Adams is Canadian, too. Next time you guys send us some crap like Celine Dion, I'm going to the Canadian border with a baseball bat and NONE of you are getting over!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 9, 2008 7:17 AM

With any luck you'll be reassigned to Seattle to patrol the NORTHERN border. Here's a tip if you go - it's easy to tell a Canuck from a Yank. They're the polite, talented, healthy ones.

Dude, you still haven't answered my question - is it true you can fit three billiard balls in your mouth?

(And you forgot Michael Buble.)

Oh, I know how to spot a Canadian. I took this pic at the Calgary Stampede last year!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 9, 2008 1:43 PM

Basement Kahuna says we have to keep this thread all about carving, so I'd like to get off the Billy Bashing and praise his latest work instead.

Wow, nice work! I think this is pretty fine, everything considered!

Keep up the good work!

MR

Why don't you two get a room.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 9, 2008 9:48 PM

This one is even better, it's great how Billy can make it look so unprofessional and simplistic, and seemingly without any value whatsoever. He takes weeks to plan these out.

Great stuff!

Stay out of my backyard, man........that's my secret stuff. I'm planning on targeting the Log-Cabin Republicans as my new carving customers and they all like bears for some reason. I put little grass skirts on them, just tome make them tiki-bears. Next is leather chaps and a roadside booth in Guerneville.......with Cam as my booth manager!

Matt, we did get a room......and I made off with his hockey jersey!!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Aug 10, 2008 7:20 PM

Gimme back that shirt.

And here's just a small glimpse of the wonders Billy will be showing off at Oasis - this only took him a few weeks to carve.

Nice stuff. Go Billy!

Speaking of BEARS: I've never posted on a GLBT dating site before, but here it goes... Tan, tone, and Curious Otter seeks a big bear rug to curl up in for the winter. Harley a plus because I like long rides!

Contact me through my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

rofl!!!!!!!!!

It took me ten minutes to stop laughing before I could post.......Wait.....still laughing.......Buzzy, we're not worthy, man. You just ate our lunch. That's the funniest shit I've seen since the tiki vibrators with Ben and Grog photoshopped into them. My sides hurt......

dear god buzzy, ahahah classic

HOK

On 2008-08-10 22:10, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Yo' Buzzy! What times' da donkey show? They say using those Moving Men sliders reduces splinters on the knees...:lol:

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Aug 11, 2008 7:55 AM

Is that a Speedo swimsuit or really crappy 99 cent store RED UNDERWEAR??!!

JeeEEEEEez Buzzy.

T

Oh my lord, just when I thought I had seen it all.... :o

Thanks for the laughs Buzzy!

Priceless.

Ok, back to bidness.......worked all day getting this one ready for finish sanding and stain.

Fine carve Billy! Will this be getting your usual imaginative stain treatment?

Yeah, he's getting a few different stains today after I sand him. More pics up tonight!

it turned out awesome billy, the head dress is killer mann!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 12, 2008 3:57 PM

I like the bears better.

Why doncha carve one of those hillbilly bears with a goofy hat on it? They're funny. You could sell it for at least 35 bucks or more!

T

The ones with the Pot will be lucky!

On 2008-08-12 16:01, TikiLaLe wrote:
The ones with the Pot will be lucky!

The ones IN the pot were screwed. I didn't get any pics of the bbq, but I had a little native Northpark, a little Mexican, and a touch of French. I'm STILL full and just got the dishes all done!

I've got to back to my roadside booth and carve more chainsaw bears for Cam. He loves em.

Since moving and being injured just before Oasis this year, this is all I have to bring, plus a couple of my older works. The tall one is sold.

H

Billy, you are a natural. Great work with the braiding, your pieces look complete and clean.

the stain on that tall one looks killer

Ok, going to post some vending pics from our booth in Artists alley......

It was a freakin' blast, man!

New project at a private residence. This was a contact from Tiki Oasis that was looking for someone to carve a stump left in their yard. I held my breath as I drove up, hoping it wasn't King, Queen, or South American Palm and lucky for the residents and myself, I found a great, freestanding, California Fan stump. These are the first few pics from the first day. This is going to be a LONG process, as the tree was just cut down last week.

More to come as the project progresses........

radd dude thats gonna be killer when its done

Yeah, unless I totally f@#k it up! I don't have the option of ditching the log this time(only had to do that once, with half of a log, one year ago).........so I'm a little nervous, this being my first freestanding stump. It seems to be coming together, though. Chiseling begins tomorrow morning and my weapons are razor-sharp. Let's just hope that I am as well. These are really nice people and I want to give them my best and then some.

B

No problems Billy...this is a cake walk for you dude. Nice start man.

So the neighbors haven't given you shit yet?

At least the most difficult, and most boring partof the job is OVER! Now you can have fun carving it!

BTW, where ya gonna put the one big eye? :wink:

BBTW, whattaya gonna do with the $100 they're paying ya to do the job? :D

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-08-22 23:12 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies