Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Billy the Cruds' work, via KINGMAN ARIZONA-Maori BAR!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies

S

I must say those palms are the strangest trees? (becouse i dont have any)

Nice, good to see it worked out. So you bought a new saw for the job, then someone stole it? So the coach got you a new one? Damn the luck!

You got anymore progress pics on the GIANT KU yet?

PS: I fixed the oiler on the ElectroMac, turns out the little hoses on the inside were dry rotted and broke in 3 places. Pulled it apart cleaned it up and installed some new lines and she oils nice now. Just needs a new chain now and I'll soon be a chainsaw carver. Thanks again man.

Classes are over for spring next week and I have a month off till summer term starts so lets carve.

Giant Ku updates tomorrow night. He should be just about done by then.

OK!! So, KU has a home, along with a giant Tang that I just started. This guys yard is going to be SWEET with at least 4 different Islandic cultures represented. It's like he'll have the entire South Pacific surrounding his pool. Check out KU. He's almost done.

Then I started the giant Tang for a change of pace. Ku heads DO get a bit monotonous.

Yeas, a veritable neighbors nightmare. So far all they've complained about is the smoke from my smoker.......I'm trying to keep it that way.

This thing is totally kicking my ass. This pic isn't staged, but I asked my wife to take it for the scrapbook.

And this is what he looks like tonight, after finish sanding and staining the outlines with Ebony. Still not sure what shade he'll be. I'm thinking a nice medium brown like "Gunstock" or maybe a tad lighter.

I've never done so much detail sanding in all of my life. I actually went down to Home Depot and charged a new Dremel Multi-tool for most of it. GET ONE. All I can say, HOLY SHIT what a necessary tool!!!
Thanks for looking, updates Monday. Running out to check on the Kingman house this weekend.

bitchin man! that is your mona lisa of Kus!

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2010-05-15 02:53 ]

Whoa, you've been busy! Nice work, Bill. That Ku is gonna look Sharp with some stain on it! Great use of log shape on the Tang!

S

Hell ya. Nice looking big guy! Looks like a bomb went off tree stumps, chips and
guys laying all around.

H

Nice Ku. I like it.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, May 15, 2010 7:06 PM

Go Gunstock. And leave the Tang the way it is now, looks perfect. Don't wreck it with more carving.

And get off yer ASS!

Billy, your posts always make me smile :) Beautiful looking carves.

Edit - removed my annoying banner

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-05-15 21:16 ]

Ku is DONE. Here he is where he will spane his life, poolside in El Cajon.

Now to finish the Tang. He needs to be installed by Wednesday in order to make the deal work. Assholes and elbows for Crud. Looks like my trip to Arizona will be cancelled.

B

sweet tikis Billy, you've had a busy year!! :D love the shot of the tiki with a lizard sitting in his mouth

B

...and Ku is insane!!! well done :D

T

Thats one evil lookin ku BIlly .Love the color

Ok, still working on my Tang. At customer request, this Tang has been emasculated due to PC purposes. If YOU were a yuppy and went to see your kids coach at his home and he had a statue with a giant pecker on it, poolside......well, you understand. Alas, no wee-wee on this Tang.

Here is last night

And this is my progress as of this evening......

Something seems.......missing......

And this is what I put in the smoker tonight. I didn't put these cans of Tecate in their rectoms, man. These are undocumented chickens that didn't know you could buy Tecate in the states. They didn't figure on how bad the extra weight would slow them down.

This guy will be done tomorrow night and placed on his new spot by sundown. More to come!!!

I dig your take on the tang, even without the wang. Your ku all painted up looks REALLY nice. It's amazing how a little splash of color can really bring out the details.

P

That Ku is f'n ridiculous.

One of the coolest I've seen.

Kudos bro.

Kick ass B...your work continues to impress and improve!

billy, your tikis continually look better and better, man! i need to get over there and chop some more soon

On 2010-05-17 11:14, Clysdalle wrote:
Kick ass B...your work continues to impress and improve!

While all words of encouragement are heartfelt, coming from you this means a lot, man. I'm going to plan a chop as soon as things slow down and I'm hoping the half of you that's still around can make it.

Thomas and Randy, Im carving here most every day. Git yer butts over here!!

S

Nice job on the big guy. I'm really liken the wise man in the ground.
Looking very cool.

LOL..

I feel like this sometimes also, but my wood chips aren't that big. Nice work man.

B

nice tikis,really liked how the stain came out

i thought you stopped abusing chickens?

You call that cooking?!?
Come on man do it right!

20 chickens/20 Tecates
Just messing with ya. The new tiki looks great.

P

Just curious....

what's the object of cooking a chicken with a can of Tecate shoved up it's butt?

I'll field that one for ya Billy,

Cooking the chicken on the Can O' BEER does many things, 1) it sort of steams the chicken from the inside as you roast it making for some very juicy chicken and if you put some seasonings into the beer first it adds lots of flavor. 2) it looks cool as hell on the grill. I did two for a cook out recently and everyone thought they looked like a couple of Sumo wrestlers squared off on the grill. 3) its a great excuse to buy and drink beer (if you need one).

Billy:
Love the giant KU, how many people it take to get that back into your truck after you lightened it up? Half as many as it took us to get the log into the truck the first time?

I love that Ku! Gives us rookies something to work towards! All your work is very well done!

I'll also chime in on the beer butt chicken! Great invention! Put garlic, lemon, lime or any citrus in with the beer and shove it! .... don't know who decided to fit a beer can up a chicken's ass and cook it but it sure does make a great tasting bird! ... That 20 bird/20 Tecate cooker is cool! Do you have 20 of the beer can racks in there or just setting the bird right on the cans?

....sorry to veer from your cool Tiki's .....

Have a Great Day!

Sent you a pm Captain Jack.

Ku and Tangaroa are all done. Im exhausted.

Jasco.....if you want them to last without being eaten by those little burrowing beetles, this is the way to go.

Strapped him to the truck and placed him on the old stump.

then shaved down the rootball and sanded it smooth.

detail carved and sanded the whole thing down to 220

Then shot a few coats of Helmsman Boaters Spar Varnish

Ke got a good coat as well

Thanks for looking. Im going to bed!

Billy, hope you get some well deserved rest. They both turned out great - that finish is so shiny I could shave down my rootball in the reflection! :lol:

Billy.....cool stuff.......

....the Ku and the Tangaroa are great......

sent you a PM

On 2010-05-22 21:51, MadDogMike wrote:
Billy, hope you get some well deserved rest. They both turned out great - that finish is so shiny I could shave down my rootball in the reflection! :lol:

BURRRP E-gad!!!
For some reason I can't rest, but my freakin wrists are killin' me.(no comments there). Still have three comissions to get done in the next week, so no rest for me.

Gotcha, D. Checking it now.

View my work @

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2010-05-23 11:44 ]

JT

Cool Beans B!!
Hope to make a chop soon.
-Johnny B.

I really like both of them. Excellent Job

holy crap dude! both of those suckers turned out killer. im down to do some choppin next week mang

B

Both those last guys were Awesome man, Excellent job on the finishes too.

Thanks everyone. The compliments and ecouragement are much appreciated.

Here's what Im working on now. Im making a set of barstools for a friend and just could NOT stand to put the same markings on the zebra-face pop-Maori head, so I decided to make new Moku for him.

Started my PNG guy......

And another contemporary Tang....

......Maori Mouldings for my garage....The one on the right was (badly) routed with a dremel and the two on the left were hand-carved. The hand-carved ones are better imo....

And finally, started this pendant for Ms. Formaldehyde who will be selling castings of it at TO and elsewhere. For those who do not know, her son Dillon has a brain tumor and was blinded. ALL proceeds from this pendant will go to continued care and rehabilitation.

Thanks for looking!

B

Looks like maybeee the Maori bug is biting you? COOL Stuff!

Bar stools lookin good

PNG!
PNG!
PNG!
get it done tough guy!

Many awesome things happenin' here! Love the bar stools.

Benz, we can blame the Maori fever on Thomas. He brought over the "Know your Maori Carving" book and I just about messed myself. I'm planning a hut in the future as well.

Kinny, thought of you the whole time I was starting the PNG. Ive got so much to do, he'll be a little sidelined for a couple of weeks, though.

Srfntki-The barstools are getting padded tops and redwood bottoms. I'll post all the updates as the creating progresses.

On 2010-06-11 11:02, Billy the Crud wrote:
Benz, we can blame the Maori fever on Thomas. He brought over the "Know your Maori Carving" book and I just about messed myself. I'm planning a hut in the future as well.

Nice work Billy!

If you really want to twist your head around some Maori carvings check out Carved Histories by Roger Neich.

S

Nice! lots of things going on hear.

Todays progress, sanding and staining, before I pass out......

and finally, my friend Pat came over and worked on the treehouse. Im no carpenter, man. I carved him a tiki......THAT is how a tiki-carver builds a treehouse!

That stool deserves a WOW! Looks great, Billy!

I have looked at your work lately and it's seems to just get better with every new
project you work on.I am very stoked on this mask you carved for me and thought others
should have a look as well.Thanks so much .I look forward to you carving me a custom
tiki soon.

Aloha & Mahalo
Trader Bill

B

Way Excellent stuff here Billy, This guy is Awesome.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2010 11:39 AM

Stuff's lookin' great Crudster. GROG like.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies