Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Billy the Cruds' work, via KINGMAN ARIZONA-Maori BAR!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies

Well, I'll be carving MANY more of them, so now I'm a super-mega-HUGE sellout. I'll have more new work pics up soon. It's been a while, man. Took forever to find my thread!

B

Freakin' Grovers!

New stuff I had at Oasis. Sorry it's been a while, man.

Pelonis Gigante
Ku-Maka-Koa

Larry
Panting Tiklopse
On the road to Oasis

Pelonis' new family
Larrys new family

Really Kool stuff Billy,the big moai head is freak'n
awesome.Cheers Watango

Thanks, man. Those being the only ones I sold this year, I'm going to continue to be a sellout and carve more. Cool thing about Moai is that they always have their own personality, even if you try and make them identical. Those big bottom log are a bitch to deal with and can be hard to find, though.

billy.....

as posted in the other thread it would be a pleasure

nay.....an honor

to cohost a room party with you and grace next year.......

after all the great parties and people this year
i would be thrilled to give back some tiki next year

you carve...ill prep....we drink

On 2009-08-24 20:09, closettiki wrote:

I'll be needing you to let me take cuts in line.

Buzzy Out!

my plans of moving to SF have been postponed for another year, so ill be there to drink both of your rum and take advantage of your hospitality!...again :D

but the new ku is really sick man. squaring the bottom jaw up gives it the perfect amount of traditional style mixed with crud style.

RR

On 2009-08-24 22:00, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2009-08-24 20:09, closettiki wrote:

I'll be needing you to let me take cuts in line.

Buzzy Out!

Trust me, he cut a few in line. I was standing behind him.

There are very cool! I really like how smooth and crisp your work came out

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 25, 2009 6:44 AM

Hey, I didn't know the one outside the car show was yours! Everybody LOVED that one, man! (Somebody even took a picture of me giving it a drink...)

If you were a real sellout, and I mean a lowdown, lower than a worm's belly, stinkin' money grubbin sellout who's a source of shame to all your friends and family - - -

• you'd make a limited edition MUG of that Tikclops.

That's a good idea, Cam!!! Limited edition tiklopse mugs......then I'll do a tribute mug to him in a couple of years. I've gotta get over to Babalus'!!!!

Next year, I'm trying a couple of new things, a party with great jazz included..."The Beatnik Tki Lounge", complete with surly poets and two dollar whores from North Beach...and Closet tiki is supplying the rum!!

I'll bring the rum.

I love rum.

I hope you're not coming as a 2 dollar whore

S

Nice works! Love the shot of the chev on the freeway with the tikis.

TL

Billy, you SLAY me!

"......then I'll do a tribute mug to him in a couple of years." :lol:

BILLY IN DA HOUSE!!! Man, I missed my "Billy Fix" at Oasis this year. Everything I think, you say, and I LOVE IT!

Anyway, I just wanted to say good work on the Moais, and I'm glad I was able to give you, a TRUE artist, my spot to sell 'em in.

Now just don't tell me that you sold them for what you sold yer stuff for last year!

P

Wow man, those ticlopses are insane!!!

Awesome stuff bro. Really impressive.

Nice carves goin on BTCrud!!! Keep slayin the wood,Aloha, Mooney

I haven't been on here or finished a tiki in a couple of months. That all ends today. Thank you all for the encouragement. Buzzy, you're management.......you never have to call it "cuts".

B

cool stuff,like the big heads,now get to work

Just threw my middle back out.....waiting for a friend to come and adjust me. Not giving up, though.

this has got to be one of the saddest threads on here....

delays
developments
broken backs
sheesh!

what a bummer!

get better Billy!
:)

I've stumbled but refused to fall. Actually made a little progress!!

P

Dear Mr. Billy the Crud,

this is a picture of Steven, one of my best friend's 5 year old son. Steven has asked about making tikis, and recently I asked him if he'd like to make one himself. He got all excited, and I handed him a stack of stuff I printed off of here that I liked, and told him to pick something he was into, and we'd make one like it.

As you can see, he picked your "tiklopse". We're not completely finished, but he wanted me to thank you for making such neat stuff, and giving him the inspiration to do something cool.

You helped make a little boy very happy.

Good Kharma bro.

Went on a log run with Billy last week. Looked like this

lots of palms

The man and his logs

Can't wait to se what billy does with those.

RANDY!!!! Git yer but back over here and help motivate me to get my driveway back!!!

Ok, the Tikclopse thing I must admit.....welled me up a bit. SO nice to hear and see people happy after feeling like you've made everyone you've touched miserable. Thank you so much for the inspiration and tell your boy he's lucky to have artistic people around him. That's better than diamonds and gold.

OK!!! WHEELER! I've finally gotten some staining and finishing in on a the tiki I last finished over three months ago. SO much has happened since then and I'm feeling like I may be coming out of it. Talking to you on the phone really helped and I REALLY appreciate the push. Maybe I'll start carving tikis again, who knows.

Here's the latest stuff, but really........It's all SSDL (same shit, different log)

This is Sedona Red "Ed", contemplating my porch.
This laughing Ku's name is "Kavika" (Hawaiian for "David"), for a friend that I wished to send out a little aloha spirit to.

And finally, I managed to customize a new pipe for and paint my smoker. Performance enhanced!

I've been gone a while. It's life, it happens. Crazy stuff some times. Thanks for looking and thanks for the warm fuzzies.

S

Nice one. I like the colors on the laughing Ku he will look so cool @ night
with a little light.

Glad to see you back Billy.......
Oasis is just around the corner.....that will get you back in the swing

ill buy you a drink...or 2

[ Edited by: closettiki 2010-04-18 19:16 ]

Glad to see you back Billy.......
Oasis is just around the corner.....that will get back in the swing

ill buy you a drink...or 2

Thankyou Seeksurf and CT. Looks like I'm back......at least for now.

OK.....At the behest of another William and the constant yet very constructive criticizm of Buzzy, I have finally decided to go outside of the Kona style box and do something a bit different. If anyone is in the market for a 6' Trader Dicks "peanut mug", this one should be done and stained in about a week.

Thanks for looking.This is the first time I've broken loose of my pidgeon-holed style in about two years. Let me know what you think.

H

So far it looks good. Did Buzzy tell you to start chopping inside the house?

No chopping in the house. when you live with a woman and chop in the house, you will soon live alone. As far as changing a bit, the definition of insanity is basically doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome. Hopefully my outcome will change with my carvings.

looking good! I'm still thinking inside the box but it's safe in there for now.

Good to see you carving, see you friday?

Dear Mr. THE CRUD.....

I was inspired by your aliens at the TEEKEE OHAYSIS last Aug. and carved this little beaut here he actually SOLD this week! My missus thinks it looks like PLANKTON from Spongebob...WIMMEN!!

sincerely bb moondog
keep up the good S#@#t

Yes, Randy!! Chopping this Friday fer sher!! Anyone else in the neighborhood is welcome to drop by as well(no vampires!). Dont bring any logs, I have PLENTY.

The one-eyed guys seem to be popular, man. I've actually carved a Plankton for a friend, but just to be obnoxious, I carved the back to look like manjunk.

The tikis are cool but I like the SMOKER!!! ummmm... smoked pork :D

Yup. LOTS of pork. That smoker has smoked more pork than Jenna Jameson.

the tikis are lookin bitchin man! glad to see you back in action. the stain on the kona style looks killer, and the life size trader dicks is shaping up man. i need to get over there soon and finish up the maori tiki

Ok, update pics on the peanut mug.......

A little clean-up, burning, sanding, etc and it's ready to stain. I tried to get as close as I could, from the funky ears all the way down to the little Charlie Chaplin feet. I'll post more detailed pics when I get the sanding done.

I swear the other night I was sitting out on da lanai having a couple mai tai's with a friend
and had happened to use these two ol' peanut mugs I just scored that day and said " wouldn't this mug make a great tiki carving... Das Nutz...

Shoots Billy.... He 's one ono peanut carving bra... NICE!! I dig the rim and ya those feet are killer...
What color you plan on staining him..?

B

Very nice Billy...a carving based off of a vintage mug - I like it! I like the fact that it's big too - a 6 footer...yup-yup... :)

Im still thinking about carving "Nugget" into the back of it. There are two "peanut" style mugs that I know of (someone correct me if Im wrong) and my next carve is going to be a stack of the two. Im going to try and be a little closer next time as well. The face is misproportioned, the belly is cut in too far, and I only managed to fit three fingers on it. I wanted to shy away from my power tools as much as possible so I could re-acquaint myself with chisel work. Using chisels is therapy......power tools can become a big messy job and I can't really deal with the noise right now.

Once again, 4WD. Thanks for the push.

Out of all your carvings... this one is my favorite.

Nicely done. Well Executed

Ok.....all finished and ready for stain!!

A couple minor touch-ups, two tones of stain, and a little lettering work and it's finito. And to think that just one week ago I wasn't sure if I'd ever carve again!!

S

Crud! nice work man it looks just like the salt shaker right down to the texture.

That is awesome.

Ya got that peanut texture, nice! I sense a pent-up explosion of carving starting!

And don't blame all this on me! All I did was threaten to come steal the logpile if you weren't going to use it!
:lol:

Very nice! Like the solid design and texture. What's next?

5 foot Trader Vics pepper shaker.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies