Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Billy the Cruds' work, via KINGMAN ARIZONA-Maori BAR!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 327 replies

Lee......I'm doing this one for $30.

Yeah, the crappy work is done and tomorrow, I'll be chopping the hell out of it and it may even take shape a bit. I'll have new pics up before the weekend is out.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 23, 2008 6:13 AM

*"Lee......I'm doing this one for $30." *

Nice! You can pay for 1/8769 a gallon of gas with that!

Hey, I didn't get to see you guys too much at Oasis, but your space there under the banyan tree was really great. Relaxing, shady, totally tropical, it was the best area to just hang out at. And I never noticed Grace's shoulder tattoo before, veddy cool.

Today was BALMY!! I got some great phonecalls from Cam and Buzzy while I was working today that kept me whackin' from 8a to 3p. Good day when you have good friends!! Here's the progress.....
8am
8:30am
9am
10am
Lost track of time

I went to lunch and KILLED the camera spot

Just before clean-up
South
North
From the walkway

It was hot an HUMID today and I ended it like this.......Trav was supposed to make it, but split.

Chuck and Manny make a KILLER steak!!

B

great job so far billy
would not expect anything less
had a great time at oasis,thanks for the hospitality

Hey Billy, I spied you from my room at Oasis on Sunday afternoon helping to load one of your creations into the back of a truck. I thought you'd get a kick out of the photo. It was nice to meet you at Oasis.

B

Looks like it's gonna be a Killer Tiki Billy, Nice work. Definitely Harder with the log standing up.

Started stripping a new log last night and began planing it down today.

Here's the hairy bastard as I brought him in(thanks Thomas!)

Hair, frawns, and bugs(like my ex-(wife-you know who you are!)

Got her defrawned and began stripping........

Then......I was er.....distracted?

And my planer turned cannibal

Where's my electrical tape?

Buzzard!~ I'll see you on Sunday!(and thanks)

tikiMango~Could you repost that pic? It didn't show up!(stalker)

Benz~Carving upright is a challenge for sure......especially with the fence behind it, I can't get a good wack. I'm going to have to go buy a Lancelot.....and those things FREAK me out!

RR

Remember, no matter how much you want to take the safety guard off the angle grinder, don't. I know.

I actually dug out the guard from my toolbox, man. Some guy on TV pretty much cut off his hand after taking off the guard. I'm still reluctant to go get that tool......dreading it, in fact.

The early betting line just in:

Over /Under

Billy cuts off a hand in under two weeks: 4-1
Billy cuts off a hand in over two weeks time: 9-1

Daily picks:

Payout is 3-1 for any correct day pick first two weeks in September.
Payout is 5-1 for any correct day after September 14, before October 1.
Individual days payout after October 1: 25-1, for wagers placed prior to September 5. 10-1 for wagers placed after September 5.

Place your bets!

Nice......maybe I'll continue to tough it out with hand tools!

After letting the log sit(stand) for a week, a bunch of slimey goo ran out of it. Talk about a fresh log!

Then I went to Bablus' place for some relaxation and mug making

And returned the next day to do a little more

That's my progress thus far. A little tweaking, a nose, etc, and he'll be ready to dry and stain.

TT

A little tweaking? so that's how you got it done so quick!?

Whatsniff do you mean?sniff

JT

Coming along nicely, looking good. Can you see it from the street or sidewalk?

radd man, looks good except for that groody goo stuff. and the new mug is radd. matches your painting?

On 2008-09-04 00:26, tikithomas08 wrote:
radd man, looks good except for that groody goo stuff. and the new mug is radd. matches your painting?

YES! Mug to go with the painting. I did it twice that day, due to some crazy Greyhounds. Got the idea from you, with your "Drunken Bob" mug.

Jab, you can see the head-dress from the sidewalk, but I signed a frakin' waiver not to give out the address, or you could cruise by and see it. This guy was THOROUGH with his waiver, but being a homeowner, I totally understood.

S

Nice this guy kicks ass, love the in ground work!

How's this beaut comin'?

Glad you asked.....last weekend, he got a nose......

The owners asked me to carve some Hawaiian tribal into the head-dress and picked out a tribal turtle. I'll probably get that done on Sunday.

lookin good!

TT

you should wear your "new" shirt over there...

C

I like how yer burning it all around (helps dry it out some I bet) instead of just in the recesses. It looks GREAT burned all over, a cool antique look.

Don't sand!

Gonna wait a while before staining????

And has Crudnick gone totally tribal or WHAT?

It's been a really long week. Where's that Kava when you really need it?

Today, I lost two more of my children(#'s 27 and 28). These were for a highschool friend and took 10 months to finish, because I had to find the perfect logs. I will miss these two. A big thank-you to Brian and Buzzy for your help last year. These two are a matching set, yet turned out to have their own, individual personalities.......I just hope that one of them dosen't try and shun the other.

View my work @

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

Rebellion is commercial enterprise

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-10-06 04:18 ]

killer, mann

Keep up the great work Billy!

T

#27 & 28 are awesome! Look like they would make really cool end tables.

On 2008-10-12 13:24, TheBigT wrote:
#27 & 28 are awesome! Look like they would make really cool end tables.

Good call, man. They were commissioned as end-tables for anoutdoor livingroom type thing. I was so happy with them after they were all stained and varnished, that I'm going to make more for me!

Here's #29, sold at the Lunatic Fringe Art show

BthC"Squid attack", in Frankies Tiki room, was bought before I could finish it.......

I'm carving again.....After a long bout of unfinished home stuff.....I'm carving agian...More pics to come

View my work @

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-12-06 03:05 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-12-06 03:24 ]

Damn, that looks nice and old! Fits right in in a great looking room.

On 2008-12-06 09:11, 4WDtiki wrote:
Damn, that looks nice and old! Fits right in in a great looking room.

Ben told be burn the hell out of it and make it look old.......thing looks ancient, man. Can't wait to see the place.

Hey Billy,
I really dig your hotrod tiki style.
Keep up the great work.

Yo Billy!
Here's a couple more photos of your tiki at Frankie's:

Buzzy Out!

JT

Looking good Cpt. Crud!!! Can't wait to see em in person in Jan. Headed out to LV the weekend of the 16th for my birthday. Missed your presence at the chop today.

Thanks for getting those shots, Buzzy!(And thanks to Lee for the first shots I saw of the place) I'll try and make it there someday and see it for myself, but until then, pics will have to do.

Sorry I missed the chop, but I was just too damned destroyed after a 16 hour night and an all day log run. Got some HUGE logs, though. Needed a tractor to load them and three guys to unload them. I'm going to need a cherry picker to handle them while I'm stripping and carving them.

Newest stuff.....
Moldy-mouthed One eye

Group of bastards

Tall contemporary Moai

Another "Hiapo"

Shorty Moai, stiil being sanded

I've been crankin' out Moai to have something affordable to sell for the holidays....plus, they look great with Santa hats on them!

S

Nice! Crud. You are coming up with all sorts of nice
carves. Keep them coming.

B

My thoughts Exactly! I want to hear what THIS guy
was recording, it Has to be good.
Love the One-eyed guy too, Nice finish and colors.

Ok, I've finally sold out with this new sea-monster thing. The customer asked for an Iron Cross in the back of it's head and I did it. I'm a sellout.......I suck. I can just imagine Buzzy looking at these pictures and shaking his head. Let the ribbing begin......

The green one is supposed to go to a guy in Aruba. Glad I'm not paying for the shipping!

View my work @

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2009-01-14 17:18 ]

hey c..ty
yep you are a filthy sell out,
but i notice you have some walls up on the carving spot..
SWEET!!!!

B

Your on to somethin" here Crudnick....love the way these two look like one tiki together...now think, two poles, one image....as the poles spin, or turn to each other...the images change, but stay connected to each other. YOUR BRILLIANT Crud master!

I like the BB on the back!!

Thanks.

Arrrr!!!

( score on the gig!

you suck without being a sellout,Billy!

great pieces tho!
that tongue is a hoot!

JT

Hey B The C, Went to Frankie's Fri.

See ya at the next chop.

• Johnny
S