Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TikiMango's Carvings- P31, Bone Hawaiian Tapa Hook

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 467 replies

Spermy, thank you for the kind words. I dig the whale tail too.

TikiG, as always, thanks.

TheBigT, I thought it was coral when I first saw it too. I'm not sure what I can do with it, just too darn porous. One thing about bone that I enjoy is that it's dense, and that density can really take an awesome polish.

Loajia, I'm not sure I could work with a vice, but I'm willing to try anything once. Holding a piece in the hand, feeling the bone talk to me... that's a joy.

I started this piece right before my son came to visit, and just now got around to finishing it. I completed the toggle and cord this morning. I had always wanted to make a taiaha point, was just very intimidated by them and their design elements. I think I pulled it off.

I took a hint from Benzart, and decided to carve the toggle on this one. This tested my ability of maintaining symmetry, a fun challenge.

Tried a new method of attaching the cord. Normally I would have just passed a braided cord through a hole. This time I passed all the strands though, then braided each side separately with a little whipping.

Those paua shell eyes were "fun" to do. I didn't have any trouble with the left one. The right... I had to make it 3 times! As I was shaving the diameter to size my Dremel flung it across my garage and into some void (probably filled with missing socks), couldn't find them for the life of me. I think next time I'll try a dab o' glue on a stick.

Totally unrelated, I love old photos, especially if they concern the Philippines or Filipino culture. I ran across this and thought it was so great, had to share with you all.

Entire Filipino family smoking, little ones for the little ones, and huge ones for the elders. I'm pretty sure this is a good examples of a 1920-ish exploitation photo, still great though.

Again, thanks for looking!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Sep 17, 2009 7:15 AM

Thumbs up, Ray!

oh yeah, Thanks for posting that pic of my old man's family!

T

Love the Whale tail!!!.

L

On 2009-09-17 06:42, TikiMango wrote:
I think I pulled it off.

It's sure, you pulled it off!

Also I understand the joy feeling of which you speak when we carve material into the palm of our hand...

J.

Don't these people realize that I have art to get out of my system?

No, I don't think that "normal" people understand. The creativity has to find an outlet or else you can't sleep, can't eat, can't crap :lol:

Great work on the Arawa mask and the Taiaha, the detailing on the toggle is a nice touch. As far as the alligator scute, you're on your own. The best I could come up with was to fill the holes with Bondo then carve it into something with contrasting terracotta spots :D

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-09-18 08:16 ]

B

Darn right you pilled it off! Way Incredible job Tmango! I Love the Eyes and I love the cord too. Keep bringing us these great pieces.

S

Wow you pulled it off WELL! very nice work.

N

Awesome - love them eyes

B

Where you BEEN T-Mang??

TikiG, Tahitiki, Laojia, Seeksurf, Nomolos, thanks for the comments... they are my fuel.

MadDogMike, never thought about filling the spaces on the scute with anything. Hmm, I could use different colors and bring back another Florida thing, a terrazzo-looking something? Actually I've decided not to carve it. I think it would crumble apart in my hand, I'm just not sure how reptilian bone compares to bovine.

Benzart, I went over to the Dark Side last week, but am back at the bone. If I just had the energy to carve at the crack of dawn, then paint into the wee hours of the night...

I finished up this next piece that some visitors to the Mai Kai might recognize. It is my interpretation of a "mid-century interpretation of a Papua New Guinea" tiki that has been talked about in this thread. I still need to make the cord for it.

This guy was a challenge, as it had no real detailing. This meant that the surfaces had to be smooth or they'd show every blemish with the polish.

Five fingers, but only 3 toes? Those kooky PNGers... anyone care to shed any light on why there is a difference, I'd like to know.

Those pouty lips and dead-pan eyes were difficult to achieve, and even harder to get a decent photo of. Sorry about that.

Thanks for looking, now back to paintin- uh... I mean carving.

Great carve!

I did one of these a few months ago and never posted it - why, you ask? I've heard whispers, rumors and gossip that someone might be doing something to it...

B

Wow! Look at you go! Some down right amazing work happening on this here thread. Please keep posting.

TWO iN A ROW!

KAZAM!

One minimally beautiful
one beautiful ornately!

Could you order me a smoking child from the Phillipines?
They look so adorable
and it would be cool to have a kid
you can always bum grits from!
:)

B

Don't care how many toes or fingers he has I Like this guy.. How many fingers am I holding up? right
Nice stuff Mang

B

C'Mon Mango, Get back to work, Work Work, We haven't seen your stuff hangin round recently??

Excellent art all over these pages!!! Can't wait to see what Aweasome carve comes from you next!! Aloha , Mooney

T

AlohaStation, Babalu, Little Lost Tiki, Benzart, and MooneyTiki, thanks for the comps! I get all my inspiration from you guys.

Things have slowed down a bit for me as far as time is concerned. I used to have all the time in the world when I was unemployed, I mean how long does it take to email a few resumes every single week for 7 months? All of that finally paid off though, landed a job a couple of weeks ago. It's nice to have funds in the bank again, but miss the starving artist lifestyle. Don't take you precious time for granted, get out there and do things!

So my activity will be slow until I get into the swing of having a normal schedule again. My son really wanted this next piece, though it isn't really tiki I can't deny the lil' crumb grabber anything.

It's not a Nintendo DSi, but I hope he likes his Christmas gift.

L

Happy you come back, even slowly!
I think your son will appreciate this skull pendant. A gift made by the hand of a father is much better that a consumer products, it's just a opinion...

J.

HA! Join the boat, work work work...= little carving.
Nice detail, and LOOKY those li'l teeth!

B

Nah,, I think your son will hate it, get him the Nintendo DSI and send that thing down here instead, make 2 kidz happy. I think it looks great and we need to see more Mango stuff!

C

I like it a lot, glad you have a job, but we'll miss your often updates too... your bone work is great!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 9:46 AM

I finally get to see the skull and crossbones pendant for Clark...

BITCHEN!!

Although not tiki in a Polynesian sense (I think Florida & Carribean - Thanks Disney for cementing that onto my psyche forever) the skull and crossbones imagery always finds its way to impressionable young boys doesn't it?

I fondly remember my neighborhood schoolyard on windy days would become a magnet for kids flying kites. A trip to 7-11 or Sav-On with fifty cents in my pocket meant I could score the ultimate low-brow item to be found along the toy isle...the Jolly Roger kite.
I used to get pissed if no more Jolly Roger kites were in stock and all that was available were those funky, odd-shaped 'flower' kites. Barf!

• By the way, I just checked eBay and YES there is a whole slew of modern Jolly Roger themed kites for sale. Some things just never go out of fashion.

Thanks for the flashback TMango - Thanks for posting and just because you have a job now, don't put the carving tools and paintbrushes away. If you do I'll cancel my subscription immediately :(

Thanks for all the comments! They are the fuel for my fire.

Well, another weekend slowly slips away, but not before I was able get a real workbench stuffed into the garage. I had been carving with a piece of plywood across my lap... not too friendly on the neck! At least not friendly considering the time it takes to get the bone to look good. To break-in the new bench I managed to finish another Manaia with some paua inlays, trying a few new subtle directions with this design.

No one said inlay was easy, I just assumed it wouldn't be too difficult. Eyes are one thing, but that large piece on the hook body took much longer to fit than I had envisioned! I suppose it's due to the compound curves of the hook. A lot of test fitting there...

I also put a through hole in the eye, maybe that works?

Thanks for looking as always.

L

WOW! Impressive manaia/matau... And the inlay work look like perfect! With the cord work this beauty will be a new masterpiece from you.
Good luck for the new workbench.

J.

Another weekend closer to Turkey Day, can't wait. So related to big birds, here's something I would rather call an "engraving" rather than a carving. These two manaia heads face each other, and is said to be the representation of Ruakapanga, god and keeper of the Great Moa birds. He was the only deity to have build a cage strong enough to hold the Moa.

Lighting from the top. The eyes are small inlaid opals.

Lighting from the bottom.

A close-up of one of the Manaia heads.

For scale. Now I just have to decide how to string it.

Ray- That is freaking beautiful!! Good Job Man!!

B

Mister Mango, This is probably your best bone piece ever. So Much tight detail, Really Really Nice!

Freakin OUTRAGEOUS!
Loving the Manaia, especially like how you chose the perfect piece of Pau, and angled it to bring the most out of the piece.

L

Like BenZ, I think that is it your best bone piece ever... thank's for the story telling!

J.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Nov 23, 2009 4:02 PM

The little details really blow my mind...I can't even comprehend those small parallel lines let alone attempt to create something like that.

I have to agree with the others, Ray, this is your best bone carv..engraving..yet!

I guess the workbench is working :)

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for all the warm comments. I'm glad it's liked.

I am constantly amazed at all the great work here on TC, and some of the symmetrical works I have seen here blow me away, and had to give it a go. I had a blast doing this one, and was a bit obsessed during its creation. I think I started it around 7:30am, worked on it all day, and never took a serious break. A few runs to the fridge for a Mountain Dew or two, a couple of smokes, etc. Next thing I know, it's done and it's dark outside. My hand was numb and I'm frickin' hungry! It took me a solid 9hrs to knock that last piece out in one session. I won't do that again! I guess it was just something I had to get out of my system.

C

On 2009-11-15 11:58, TikiMango wrote:
Thanks for all the comments! They are the fuel for my fire.

Well, another weekend slowly slips away, but not before I was able get a real workbench stuffed into the garage. I had been carving with a piece of plywood across my lap... not too friendly on the neck! At least not friendly considering the time it takes to get the bone to look good. To break-in the new bench I managed to finish another Manaia with some paua inlays, trying a few new subtle directions with this design.

No one said inlay was easy, I just assumed it wouldn't be too difficult. Eyes are one thing, but that large piece on the hook body took much longer to fit than I had envisioned! I suppose it's due to the compound curves of the hook. A lot of test fitting there...

I also put a through hole in the eye, maybe that works?

Thanks for looking as always.

Great new ones , I love this one!

Thanks Clarita! That one was fun to do. Heck, they're all fun.

I'm ready to eat some Turkey, but before I do I thought I'd post pics of my latest. I started this twist earlier in the week, trying to find time to carve after work and dinner. Makes for some long nights, but it also prevents government controlled TV brains waves from hitting my cranium. Glad I got a DVR. So here's this Twist. Twists are suppose to represent friendship, as your paths may diverge you look forward to when they cross again. For you other bone carvers out there, if you haven't tried one of these yet, get cracking! They are a study in patience.

A double twist pendant with honest to goodness New Zealand paua inlay.

I just can't get over the amount of fire in that paua.

For scale. I need to clip my nails.

Thanks again for looking, and I hope everyone that celebrates it has a great Thanksgiving.

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2009-11-28 09:17 ]

L

On 2009-11-26 08:51, TikiMango wrote:

Wow! I'm impressed! What beauty!
"A study in patience" that's talk to me , one day I will try in wood ...

J.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Nov 27, 2009 8:50 AM

Shit!

Just when you think you've seen it all...

BA BAM!

Battin' it straight outta the ballpark, Ray

NICE!!

The polish and the composition are amazing, Mango.

This is not only a piece of art, it is a treasure of mana.

Aloha!

Marcus

How'd you twist that stone?

Great Job Mango!

Jerome, I am sure if you try a twist in wood (especially that ebony or rose) it will turn out Fantastique!

TikiG, thanks for the compliments bro.

Aweulekuula, I just hope my work has a 10th of the mana your pieces radiate. Thanks!

LLT, thank you for stopping by. As I was twisting this bone, I had my fingers crossed that it wouldn't snap. Got lucky...

Been busy in the studio... laboratory... garage... boneatorium(? :D), managed to get this guy completed. Double Manaia heads and double Spirals, with paua inlaid eyes. Openwork spirals can represent many things, from the path of outward consciousness to the inner soul, or the journey from the physical world to the outer world (or vice versa), to the entire universe itself.

Thanks for looking. Again not stringed, still mulling over how to do it right.

A
amate posted on Sat, Nov 28, 2009 3:50 PM

Wow!! Every one seems a little better than the last. Can't wait to see what you'll post next.

L
laojia posted on Tue, Dec 1, 2009 8:26 PM

Wow, killer master piece! :o
One day, when I grow up I will become TikiMango... :roll:

J.

C

Beautiful!!

too cute Mango!

B

Really Great looking piece Mango, I Love the inset eyes and mouth, your BEST so far.
Drill a hidden hole in the back for the cord.

T

Amate, thanks. I'm never sure what I'm going to carve until I touch tool to bone. I'm interested in seeing what's next too.

Loajia, you can be me if I can be you! Thank you for your support, one day I'll try wood again.

Clarita, coming from you, that's great. I'm glad you like these.

LLT, cute? Maori stuff is suposta be mean and fearful... but cute works. Thanks.

Benzart... thank you for the encouragement! You've been a big inspiration and mentor.

T

A double post to get this next piece at the top of the page. Christmas is around the corner, and contrary to popular belief, not all mother-in-laws are evil. I decided to make this for my ex-mother-in-law, she really digs the bone stuff I've been doing lately and she is just an all around cool person.

The seven waves represent her seven kids, two of which she adopted from bad situations. Her adopted son was diagnosed with being so withdrawn that he would have to be institutionalized when he got older. He's a successful programmer for HP, and happily married now. The inlay is the Christian Fish symbol, (something very important to her) but was too small for me to do accurately. I'm sure she'll get over it.

There's a little hole under the waves, this represents her supporting and positive attitude (like a foundation) towards her children, and allows her energy to flow over them. There are also some small notches under the waves, representing her kid's families since they are all grown up (wasn't about to try to represent all of her grand and great grandkids!).

The rough texture... just contrasted nicely with the glossy waves. Maybe they can be a reminder that no matter how rough life seems, as long as you have family, everything will work out in the end.

Fantastic design!!

Awesome work, as usual. Just be careful who you let handle them. There are some really clumsy people out there!!! (Sorry about the surfboard!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 467 replies