Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TikiMango's Carvings- P31, Bone Hawaiian Tapa Hook

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 467 replies

T

Hey all, I hope everyone had a blast at Bamboo Ben's sale today. I never got a chance to attend one.

TikiG, thanks as always for your comments. I keep waiting for you to try the stuff...

Loajia, I hope who ever he reminds you of does not have inlay in his head! Thanks.

Seeksurf, thank you. This was the second hammerhead I did, and the form came to me much easier this time around.

Just a single update this time around. I squandered massive amounts of time away on a new beach cruiser this weekend. Its amazing how the world can fade away when you have a backpack full of cold refreshments on the beach. I did see a few turtles in the water as I was wading in, probably influenced this next hook. I could have wasted that time doing other things, like watching ninja movies or something less constructive.

I managed to finish this piece, trying for something a bit different. I was playing with curves and angles on this one.

This hei matau has a couple of Hawaiian styled honu on it.

The point is pretty sharp, but I think I have it tucked away so it won't draw a blood sacrifice from the wearer.

Have a good one!

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2010-05-02 18:43 ]

B

Excellent Stuff pupule tiki, Mango eater and bone crusher. Love this guy Absolutely the Best!
The simplicity and strength is Incredible. Guess I haven't been here in awhile and have missed some great stuff.
Be Lookin' for more!

T

Benzart, it's always nice when you stop by, thanks!

Another weekend, another bone work in the books. This one is a hei matau in the shape of a manaia with paua shell inlay for the eye. At last I managed to get a great piece of paua shell that actually looks like an eye. It's a nice end for the weekend.

Not sure why this one looks so matte.

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2010-05-09 15:36 ]

B

He looks Great and the Eye is Perfect, Love how you did it!

T

Stunning piece of work there Ray - absolutely beautiful!

Sweeeet!

B

Mango, Also looking at This guy again,, This design allows for so Much creativity, I have another Jade cab I'll work into something like this too.
The background texture really makes it pop.
Excellent work

T

Cool. Another stunning design! Still haven't found that hand double I see. :lol:

Benzart, thank you for the visit and the strong compliments! I can't wait to see what you do with a jade cab.

TikiG, thank you for the support bro.

Tikilizard, thanks for stopping by.

TheBigT, thank for the positive comments. Still no stunt hands, have to use my grubby digits.

Ok, so no squid (calamri). This is not a tiki piece, but thought I'd I share it all the same. This is a commission for a co-worker. Normally I'd say no to something like this, but it seemed like a challenge and fun to boot. General Ackbar in all his fine glory with his signature line, "It's a trap!!" Relief in cow bone.

This really looks much better than the pictures would lead you to believe, honest.

your commission piece is great....not tiki like you said but still good work. i love what you did on the previous page......you called it a hei matau?

still learning all the lingo but is that the water serpent in new zealand? it doesn't matter ......its a great piece. OH, to answer your reply....i live in west florida in manatee county just south east of tampa-north of sarasota. where the snow birds gather once a year to lay their eggs(and drive slow in the left lane)......hee hee

See you at the Hukilau.(i noticed your on the vendor list)

S

Yes the Commander. Very nice work.

Creative Chimp, thanks for stopping by. A "hei matau" is Maori for "hook". The "manaia" is the serpent reference. I am vending, so stop on by, being a vendor can be a tad boring...

Seeksurf, thanks. I think he's actually an Admiral.

Ok, another update for today, since the weekends are really the only time I have for art, I guess I'm a weekend warrior. This one is a Manaia, but with a twist, literally.

I wanted this piece to look like a simple Manaia from a distance.

At closer inspection maybe someone can see something different.

See, he is twisted, and if art is the reflection of the artist... hmm.

Close-up of the inlay. This was looking good, but as I sanded it down to get rid of tooling marks, the pattern changed. I'm stuck with it being mostly blue.

Close-up of the new toggle I am trying. I was getting tired of the "gator tooth" look.

Thanks for looking.

Such cool stuff Mango. Too bad about sanding down the eye, good to know what NOT to do! Still looks beautiful.
Let us know what the overall impression of the toggle is too.

T

Lovin the STARWARS pandant

Surfintiki, thank you for the comps. So far the new toggle seems to be working great.

Tikigodz, thanks for dropping by. The Star Wars Admiral Ackbar was fun, but I just wasn't into that much. Now I worry that George Lucas is going to send in his stormtroopers for trademark violations. :lol:

I got a nice piece of bone that not only had a relatively flat area, it was also thick. Usually when you find these flat areas on the bone they are thin. So I was stoked when I got to use my 2" hole saw. I knew I wanted to make a koru, just wasn't sure what I'd end up with until I was done.

Here's the new koru, with the new toggle again. I'm really liking them toggles.

The koru is styled after the New Zealand fern plant, which represents new life or new beginnings.

These small holes and notches along the perimeter are suppose to be indicative of story telling and knowledge.

SWEEEEET! Your new koru is beautiful! Great job.

C

Very beautiful new ones, specially this last one, i would totally wear it, all the time :)

Wow! That is really incredible. They all look so smooth. I can't imagine how much patience they take to get them that way.

S

Yes! very pretty. Love the shape.

You are right Admiral. Its been awhile.

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 18, 2010 12:21 AM

Wow, that's a very elegant piece. Gorgeous. GROG like.

good god! your pumping these great pieces out......LIKE A MACHINE!!!!
i feel so lazy....every time i check lately .....BAAAAAM! there's another piece from you. And they just keep getting better......are you working harder for the coming hukilua? can carving too fast actually create a sonic boom? I think i heard one last weekend from your direction........oh well, looking forward to meeting you during the show......keep the great work coming....please.

(you probably finished 3 pieces while i was writing this)

To all, thank you so much! This was a great treat for me to carve, and the design evolved as I made it. It's awesome piece to me as well, since it's one of those projects that "just happens". These types of pieces are too few and far between to be sure, regardless of the medium.

I am definitely feeling the pressure to create more stuff for Hukilau (only 3 weekends left!). I kind of mocked-up a 10x10 space to see how things would look, and all I could think was, "That's it!?" I hate having to sleep, eat, and go to work...

WoW! I have missed a few of these Nice Work!

L

TikiMango wrote:

These small holes and notches along the perimeter are suppose to be indicative of story telling and knowledge.

Your work gets better every day. This last koru is so beautiful, bone lace!!! As what the pressure of an event in a soon time is motivating ....

J.

Tikimecula, thanks for dropping the kind words.

Laojia, thank you. Yes, deadlines can be very motivating.

Another weekend closer to Hukilau and another two pendants completed. I can't wait for that 3-day weekend coming up soon, I need a break.

This one is a simple Hawaiian styled hook.

With a little extra detail. Not quite a hook barb, but interesting.

Another Hawaiian styled hook, but this had some thickness to it.

Decided to do a little spiral engraving on this one.

Thanks for looking and hope you had a great weekend.

SWEET! Very nice pendants. Really clean lines and the spiral work is perfect.

Damn! I wish I was going to Huki, and see all your beauties up close and personal!
drink a mai tai for me will ya?!!!

T

Crankin' them out, Mango! Very cool.

Does the spiral one have the spirals on both sides? -I notice that the point is facing left, not facing towards the right like a lot of your other hook stylings :)

G

Tikilizard, thank you for the comments. The spirals take time, but are so worth it.

Surfintiki, thanks! I'll drink more than just a single mai tai for you.

TikiG, thanks for stopping by. The spiral work is only on one side. There's no rhyme or reason for the hook to point one way or the other, it all depends on the bone.

Just a small update for the week. I'm hoping to enjoy my 3-day weekend, so this will probably be it for the near future. This was a commission piece, and my first dolphin, though sharks and dolphins share a lot of geometry.

The main difference between sharks and dolphins are the nose and orientation of the tail. I added the waves to make the design circular.

Close-up, maybe the nose could have been a little narrower.

Thanks for looking!

T

A;; of your work is just gorgeous!!

Very pretty! Love the waves.

Wow,

Tikimango, again you surpass my expectations as you just keep them pumpin' out of your boneyard factory. I'd call it that at the rate that you've been going.
As I was viewing your thread since I last visited, a thought came to me as how amazing it is that we as artists here on TC bring out new life out of dead things.
Great job & good luck with the Hukilau or whatever that special event is that your'e preppin for.

B

Mango, Excellent stuff and again I'm seeing vast improvement in your work and Designs too!I love the Dolphin kissing Woody the Woodpecker too! :o :P :)
I'm not making fun of your works, it just looked cute. See'ya at Hukilau.

Hey all, thanks for commenting on my work. I really appreciate it!

Ben, Woody is all I see now! :D

I don't think I could have gotten any closer to Woody Woodpecker if I tried. Hilarious!

T

Wow, I've been away for far too long! Work has been murder on me, but I've managed to find some time to make a few pieces last weekend and this week.

My first piece was for a friend, it was her 50th Birthday. Since I couldn't join in on a planned cruise to the Bahamas, I decided I would make a pendant for her. Sorry for the next few photos, I took them with my phone, using a real camera slipped my mind.

The loop on the left represents her first 50 years, and the loop on the right was for hopes of a longer second half.

On the back was an oily spot on the bone, which served to represent cancer that she has survived three times.

For scale, which she wore very well.

The next piece was just something to get my juices flowing again. I didn't really try to stick with any traditional form factors, I was just playing with shape and getting used to carving again.

This is a play on the mobius strip or twist.

This last one for tonight is another gift pendant. I made it for a friend that is a road cyclist... you know, the ones that wear the funny helmets and spandex pants!

I really enjoy the flow on this piece, might have to revisit it. The design detail represents the roads he cycles on, while hooks are traditionally meant for safe travel.

For scale again, I think he will grow into it.

Thanks for looking ohana!

Fantastic. I'm dumbfounded by how you keep coming up with new ideas left and right! Nice tight work as usual man.

On 2010-10-01 17:53, TikiMango wrote:

Ray, I saw on facebook what this piece looked like when you started, what a cool carve! I think you should try more like this, maybe with a round or oval bone, and with more ribs, that could be stunning!

I really like that broad flat hook for the cyclist, too. It has a real strong shape.

great work mango and glad to see your post......thats amazing deltail work...hope work settles down for you so you have more time to carve......

B

Excellent Stuff Mango, and I Love how you are thinking out the piece according to the intended recipient, Nice themes, All three of these were way cool and the COOLEST Thing is to see you back at the bench again,
About time!
Oh, and Sorry for implanting that bird image into your brain, too bad it's there ForEVVERR!!!! :o :P :)

T

Surfintiki, 4WDtiki, Creative Chimp, and Benzart... thanks for the warm welcome back! It feels really good to get back into the swing again. Now I just have a brazillion threads to catch-up to on here.

My next creation is a Maori styled hook. I wanted to see how small I could make a hook that wouldn't totally cramp my hand. I failed at avoiding the cramping, but turned out a nice compact piece. I'm probably going to do more of this size, as some people just plain like the smaller hooks.

Thanks for stopping by...

B

Mango man, This little hook is Really Nice! Beautiful Finish, Excellent details and Sweet design. Oh Yeah, Excellent cord too!
Nice to see you exercising those hands again, Welcome back.

Ben, thanks for the kind words.

I'm going to do smaller pendants... uh, just not right now. :D Here's another for this weekend. I will get a tiki carving in this thread soon, promise. Thanks for putting up with the lack of tiki.

Maori style with fern details for renewed life. Stained with red tea to bring it all out.

No sharp point on this one, didn't want anyone bleeding all over it, even though it is getting close to Halloween.

Thanks for stopping by.

B

It's All Right as long as you show up Nice stuff like this one.
Sweet.

L

This tiny maori matau is awesome... And the fern pendant shows all the beauty that can be drawn from the bone!

J.

simply beautiful mr. mango......always clean beautiful work...and fresh designs

Fantastic pieces, I want one... :D

Those tiniest little designs, and stains are fabulous. You're smaller hook is real tight too...they seem to be the size most people desire.

Benzart, laojia, Creative Chimp, TikiKIrby, surfintiki, thanks for the great comments and support. For this next piece I was going to use paua shell inlay, but then I spotted some mahogany scraps laying about and thought to myself, "You guys have been lounging around for far too long. Time to earn your keep."

A smaller Manaia protective spirit.

I was going to put some paua inlay in the center of the mahogany, but thought that might get a bit too busy.

I carried the mahogany theme to the toggle as well.

Thanks for looking.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 467 replies