Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies

I'm really like'n Lurch.

C
cy posted on Sun, Apr 26, 2015 4:21 PM

Cool work as always amate, Will is correct, Lurch is creepy with hair!

A
amate posted on Mon, Apr 27, 2015 3:23 AM

Thank you Greg and Hilda. I really appreciate your support! You have both done you part to keep me in supplies! :)
Will, Cy – always great to hear positive things from the other carvers…especially two of the most original and talented artists on this site.
Even though I’ve had him around for at least a year, I had never gotten around to giving this guy a name (or hair). “Lurch” works….I think that’s going to stick!

Another nice update. You said you "haven't carved a tiki" in a while, soooooo,
what have you been carving, are we missing anything?

A
amate posted on Tue, Apr 28, 2015 5:06 AM

Well Conga, I really haven’t been doing much carving at all. . . Lack of inspiration and thus motivation… I started a couple things but they were half-hearted and fell by the wayside. I’ve done some experimenting with polymer clay but other than that just working on the hair project.

N

like the face its cool. going to try one out thanks for posting

A
amate posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2015 10:01 AM

Well, I'm experiencing technical difficulties with the finish on that last 20" Moai. So, instead of fixing it, I started working on his big brother. I guess I'll go ahead with a process shot...

Loving the new stuff. So weird you're messing with hair. I had a dream last night about using hair on some of my next carvings. What does that even mean?? Idk but I mean to try it soon. The big Moai is looking excellent love the torso part especially.

A

On 2015-06-13 18:36, AlohaTexasTikiCo wrote:
So weird you're messing with hair.

So, are you saying I'm weird??? You are correct sir. DING DING DING, we have a winner! HA! just kidding...:)
I'm not sure what's going on with my sudden obsession with the hair. All I know is that I've been hearing that Cowsills song from the late 60's playing in my head for about 6 months now.

Sooner or later, all my creepy folk art figures will join the hair club for men.

Thanks for the comp on the Moai.

H

Love the carved heads all sitting there together.

B

REALLY Cool stuff here Amate!

A
amate posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2015 4:12 AM

"an island far away to the West and South"
"It is not down in any map; true places never are," H.M.

High Chief King Kumara and the lovely Princess Noa.

On Kumara’s island, it is customary for the men to adorn themselves with facial tattoos. The spalting on this piece of American Elm saved me a lot of carving by providing the moko for me.

Glad you like the heads Hiltiki. I’ve got about a dozen or so now but most are very rough. They are mostly just something to keep my hands busy and use all the small scraps of wood I have lying about. I should have them just about worked out of my system I think.

Flattered by your kind remarks Benz. I am relatively new to TC and even then I often feel I snuck in the back door. I have always been impressed and inspired by your carving. The body of your superb artwork is nothing short of mind boggling. Compliment much appreciated!

WC

Those guys are spooky cool.

T

Wow, stunning, amate! Love the coloring and detail on the princess. You hit those out of the park man.

A
amate posted on Sat, Jul 4, 2015 6:01 AM

Will – creepy is what I was going for…

BigT. - I enjoy doing the heads just to attempt to convey personality, emotion etc. in the faces. No “Fine Art” here. I make primitive folk art just to keep myself entertained. Thanks for lookin’ in guys!

Finally getting back to work on this Moai. He’ll end up just over 4 feet tall. (and approximately 400 lbs. :P)

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 4, 2015 7:20 AM

You're getting lazy. You just DREW the hands on. And you didn't even stain it! :)

WC

I really like that guy and all, but,
his profile sure looks like Richard Nixon.

I can't get over that torso. Simple and perfect.

A
amate posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2015 4:26 AM

Damn it GROG!!! I can't slip anything past you. I did take your advice and followed your recommendations. I am still lazy however. :)
And yes, I will be putting on a topcoat. Just letting the stain rest for a few days first. I will also add a base to make him a bit more stable.

Will- Yes it's true but you know how much I enjoy doing the creepy stuff. For my next one, I'm thinking about a Michael Jackson nose. Now THAT'S creepy! (~~)

ATT - simple is often the best method. I am a simple man with simple abilities so it seems the way to go. Perfect, on the other hand, well...not so much. Thanks.
:D

Nice one Amate. Looks great with the dark stain.

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2015 9:29 AM

Nice, clean and smooth amate, great choice of color.

This is the classic Lay's potato chip. I started at the last page and couldn't stop. I looked at every single page. I laughed at GROG and the I'm not a crook Moai. I loved the frame around the mosaic. All the classic tikis are outstanding. I wish I had such wonderful backdrops for my ceramics. You must live someplace in Florida, my guess. I really enjoyed the photography of your tikis in beautiful spots. One looked like a crack in a wall with the 3 tikis standing there. I'm glad it didn't collapse burying your tikis forever.

Beautiful work, Wendy

A
amate posted on Thu, Jul 16, 2015 6:04 PM

Thank you all for your kind words. I have not used dark stain extensively in the past but it seemed appropriate for this piece. I used a Rust-oleum product called “Kona” which is a deep and rich brown. Never used it before but I will use it again especially on Moai.

I’m happy you stopped by for a look Wendy. I like the classic tikis a lot but I also veer off track a bit from time to time. I am influenced by all types of primitive art. And the photos are just part of the creative process for me and I enjoy making them. BTW, I live in Texas. The climate and vegetation along the coast is VERY similar to that of Florida. Thanks…

Big MO is finally complete!

Really beautiful work!!

A
amate posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2015 4:54 AM

A late response, but thank you very much tiki kiliki :)

A
amate posted on Thu, Aug 27, 2015 6:42 AM

A little 10" marq just to keep my hand in...

C

Great little Marq - love him!!

& here's a picture of your Moai in situ from Texas Tiki Week.... :)

(have been meaning to send this picture to you for a while - just keep forgetting, so here it is!)

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 27, 2015 11:48 AM

On 2015-08-27 06:42, amate wrote:
A little 10" marq just to keep my hand in...

That's Marq of a good artist!

A
amate posted on Sat, Aug 29, 2015 5:07 AM

Thanks Caroline. Big Mo looks to be having a great time in his new home.
Compliment much appreciated GROG. Thanks

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies