Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies

A
amate posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2012 4:08 PM

Thank you all for the compliments.

Conga – That carving was pretty safe standing there on his perch. I was much more at risk during this shoot. When I first waded across the river below the falls, the first thing I saw in the edge of that pool was a good sized snapping turtle. After taking my shot, I scrambled over the boulders and back across the river. Above the falls the river was divided into three narrow, deep and swift flowing channels cut into the bedrock. About 20 yards beyond the horizon shown in the next photo, I found a place about 4 feet wide to jump across. Pretty risky for a man of my age to launch from one wet rock to land on another wet rock…all with a camera and tripod in hand. I’m getting much too old for photography!

The location in the next photo did not make the cut due to not being able to get a view of all sides. Enough! This is a carving forum... not photography.

Amazing

Award for best backdrop action! ...oh yeah, the tiki looks great!

M

If there is a picture with a tiki in it.....it's all relative.

Does that stream/Crick/river run through your property?

Mahalo

McTiki

A
amate posted on Thu, Jun 28, 2012 4:02 AM

Thanks fellas

On 2012-06-27 07:08, McTiki wrote:

your property?

Sorry Mac...I'm more of a squatter than a property owner. "The lyrics to Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" are coming to mind for some reason). That location is the upper falls in Pedernales Falls State Park.

T

On 2012-06-23 10:39, amate wrote:

Allen this dude is awesome. And your photography is off the charts! When can I sign up for lessons?? :)

A
amate posted on Fri, Jul 6, 2012 4:34 AM

Thanks BT. The trick to the photos is a digital camera. Take a hundred shots and your likely to get one or two keepers.

A

Not a lot getting finished around here but I guess I’ll post just to keep my hand in. It’s not as hot as last summer but there’s more going on than just the heat.

I Finished the guardian spirit mask.

Even the chainsaw work is sweaty business this time of year.

Looks like a cool Tang coming up!

The face is sweet but I want to see
What you carved out of the 2 sawed off
stumps behind it.

A
amate posted on Fri, Aug 17, 2012 8:49 AM

Slow progress due to busy schedule and high temperatures.

Nice variety of stuff there.
And no big tooth Tikis for you.

Great stuff Amate...you just keep getting better and better. I love all of the new creations.

P

nice!

I really like that last one...

A

Thanks for lookin' in guys. I do have a couple of the toothy tikis in my past. Still trying my hand at all the differnt styles. in fact, I've found my mind drifting back to pre-Columbian pottery lately. I'll try and keep those influences out of the wood.

M

Very nice carves. I feel you on the heat brother. I even got a flex tool yesterday, but after yard work all morning....all I can do is stare at the box....

Is that a Panel?

Mahalo

McTiki (currently in the belly of the volcano)

Tis a brave man who wears the kilt in January.

[ Edited by: McTiki 2012-08-19 14:18 ]

B

Wow, Amate, you are making some EXCELLENT works here, Keep up the good work.

Do you have any tutorials? I've never done any carving, but you have inspired me.

The work just keeps getting better, and it was already really good. The diversity of styles keeps your work fun to look at, and, no matter the stain or shine or detail work, there's always this ancient vibe going on. I enjoy every carving.

A
amate posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2012 4:03 PM

Mc - the panel is a 2x10 framed by 1x2.

Thanks Benz - I got a charge the first time you responded to my carving...still do.

Jim - Sorry but no tutorials. Other than a shot about midway, I don't even like to do the progression photos you often see on this forum. I just usually make it up as I go and figure things out along the way. Just dive in and you will learn as you go. I don't really feel I have anything to teach.

Professor G. All the hours of roaming the museums and gazing at photos in books must be paying off. The original works produce an emotional response in me and that's what I'm trying to reproduce for the most part. I have however, also dabbled in the contemporary styles and finishing techniques. So many things to learn!

A
amate posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2012 5:46 AM

I''m calling this big boy complete.

P

looks great!

WC

GROG would say
"something missing"

A
amate posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2012 10:50 AM

On 2012-09-02 09:37, Will carve wrote:
GROG would say
"something missing"

amate has granddaughters...amate does not want to get butt kicked. amate afraid of 5ft tall daughter-in-law!

WC

GROG fearless.

Latest piece is Fantastic, how big is he?

A
amate posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2012 4:50 PM

Grog has not met my daughter-in-law. She doesn't take crap from anyone! Especially if they're messin' with her cubs. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

The latest carve is 33 inches tall and 14 wide.

Beautiful work, Amate. I hope I get to see it in a couple of weeks.

There is one more option on the Angry Daughter-in-Law Prevention front: the GoTiki Loin-cloth Compromise.

N
NIxxon posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2012 7:14 PM

Big Boy is def looking good. Another quality carve. Awesome job!!

C

Looks like you are getting the hang of it.

A
amate posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2012 2:08 AM

Thanks all for lookin' in. I have used the grass skirt on several carvings Professor G. Still not much to deter a curious 3 year old. This is the only carving I've done with genitalia intact. The cut-off jeans was the final solution.

Before

After

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to disable that zipper!

That dude in the cut offs is always cool to see! Good work on the little tang!

One of my favorites

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2012 12:04 AM

On 2012-09-02 05:46, amate wrote:

Nice carve.

It's ALMOST complete.------ But, it's fixable.

+ +

WC

Told ya.
Let's see the back.
Let's see how the hips, butt & crotch came together.

P

whoa...GROG, just looking at that makes my junk hurt!!!

A
amate posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2012 4:51 PM

OUCH!!! That's hilarious Grog!
Will - This guy is my first "carved for outdoors" tiki so I left him a bit rough. He is a commision and will probably be out of here this weekend. I just returned from the coast and have a lot of loose ends to tie up before the comming work week. I'll try to get some more shots.

Thanks to all for stopping by for a look.

K

Oooh! I'm so glad I didn't see this thread before last weekend. Getting this guy from Amate was like opening an early Christmas present. I was completely delighted to see how he turned out. He is in position now at the Enchanted Lagoon, proudly keeping watch over the Huna Li'ili'i Kolepa. I'll try to get some good photos to post. A thousand mahalos Amate for persevering through the Texas heat to help make my little backyard dream a reality.
Looking forward to seeing you at the Tx Tiki Round-up next week!

On 2012-09-02 05:46, amate wrote:

Very nice carve Amate, Julie I hope he has a good time at the party!

I want to know why GROG just happened to have a picture of carved wooden penises? :lol:

A
amate posted on Sat, Oct 20, 2012 5:27 PM

October offers the best carving weather in my local. It's almost gone and I finally am getting off my butt. Trying to get things going with a six inch basswood piece.

[ Edited by: amate 2012-10-20 17:29 ]

A
amate posted on Sat, Oct 20, 2012 5:28 PM

[ Edited by: amate 2012-10-21 09:12 ]

A

[ Edited by: amate 2012-10-21 09:13 ]

A

[ Edited by: amate 2012-10-21 09:14 ]

Good start.
I like them all.

A
amate posted on Sun, Oct 21, 2012 9:16 AM

What the !!!! Guess I'm trying to make up for lost time. :P

K

i am diggin the one you are working on. very cool

A
amate posted on Sat, Oct 27, 2012 7:29 AM

Got a couple roughed out yesterday.

I saw someone carving a bowling pin on here recently. No plagiarism intended. :)

A
amate posted on Sun, Oct 28, 2012 6:30 AM

I'm calling the mini Ku complete. ( At least until I decide to work on it some more.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies