Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies

A
amate posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2012 5:23 AM

Thanks Will. I spend too much time trying to get them to look old. I think I'm going to try sanding one.

Next up..."Paul's Tahitian Girls" 9 x 13 framed.

N
NIxxon posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2012 2:36 PM

Both of these look great! Excellent work.

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2012 4:50 PM

Panel work should be a "Right of passage" for any carver. You rock it sir. I'm still learnin.

Mahalo sir!

McTiki

T

That's nice. Very skillfully done. I like the finish. What color is it?

Check your pm. :)

A
amate posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2012 10:52 AM

Thanks guys, That panel started out as a digital painting I was doing and then I thought " hey, why not just carve it". It's pretty much clear Big T. Tung oil with Golder Pecan on the frame and a couple coats of wipe on Poly over that.

A
amate posted on Thu, Mar 15, 2012 9:18 AM

Since I'm logged in, I guess I'll show a few of things I've been working on.

This one is not tiki but I drug it out of the closet just to have something finished to show.

You've been holding out on us.
Now I know who to come to when I need a hand.
Cool mask too.

They all look great. Lately I've kinda been focusing on anatomy and one of things I've been wanting to try is a carved hand. You beat me to it!

T

you Rawk!

Very impressive collection you have there ..... and of course, If I ever need a hand .... (is that still funny?) Good job!

A
amate posted on Sat, Mar 17, 2012 8:30 AM

Will - had I known I get such positive feedback, I would have posted it sooner. I hope to minimize the black eye on the mask...I'll be experimenting with new skills so we'll see...

Aloha - you can always carve the right hand...:)

BigT - check your PMs

CapJ - thanks. I'm still a long way from finishing these new ones but hope to have something ready shortly.

C

Aloha amate!

So nice to have met you last night at koitikis abode & talking tiki with you! I do hope that you'll be joining us again for more cocktail & tiki enjoyment in the future :D

MAHALO for sharing your most excellent carvings with us!! I am the very happy owner of these 2 carvings:

On 2012-02-19 06:48, amate wrote:

This one is rough n' chubby...

&

B

Holy Cow, look at you, these are Sick! Love the Chubby guy, Excellent detail and finish.

A

Thanks for the bump Croe. I was waiting at the door when Lowe's opened for business Sunday morning. :) Consumables are now replenished. Thanks.

A

always good to hear from you Benz. I appreciate your encouragement...a ton!

C

I love how the grain goes with this last carving, beautiful.

A
amate posted on Sat, Mar 31, 2012 6:35 PM

Thanks Clarita.

I thought I would try sanding one down. Been working on this guy for several months. He is 24 inches tall.

P

yeah man....good stuff.

You've got a few cool project going there...very nice.

L
laojia posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2012 1:26 PM

On 2012-03-31 18:35, amate wrote:

Wow! Love this one!

Way kool stuff,what type of wood is he?

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!!!

A
amate posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 8:29 AM

Thanks all. The last one is carved out of sycamore.

Finished the mask last evening. 13 inches out of cedar elm.

WC

Nice carve.
looks like a fun carve.
Those shells work well, hu?

great stuff

Nice carve! I looked in the mirror and saw those same lines on my forehead! .... and then I noticed the same amount of chins! What the hell???

(nice work .... :wink: ....)

Nice! That Sycamore looks so good. And the new one in elm is sweet too! What are in the ears? Looks like red LED's! That would be interesting! Great design and idea.

C
cy posted on Sat, Apr 7, 2012 10:14 AM

Really like the mask amate, especially the ear adornments. Also your photos always look good.

T

You're turning into a machine! Sweet mask!

A
amate posted on Sat, Apr 7, 2012 5:27 PM

Yes Will, it was fun. and an unusually quick carve for me.

Glad you looked in Hang10. and thanks.

:lol: what can I say Jack...sad to say but we are in the same boat.

Surfin' - you drill several quarter inch holes about 2" and drive a dowel rod in. That way, the ears don't break off! :)

Thanks Cy - I quess I'm a passable mimic...but I lack the creativity of real artists.

My friend BigT...thanks buddy.

The carving is always beautiful and the scenery is a nice plus. You get more creative with the decorative details every time I look at your thread.

A
amate posted on Sat, Apr 14, 2012 5:04 AM

Thanks Professor. Glad you like the photos. I try to have something visually interesting for folks to look at. BTW I find your website entertaining both in content and visually. http://www.docs-atomic-diner.com

Next up is an 18 inch piece of American Elm.

Another one with a shiney hiney.

Something new on the bench.

This one may become a mask in the future.

I think your getting the hang of this thing.
It's hard to cut wood off, but
less is more.

A
amate posted on Sun, Apr 15, 2012 7:33 AM

Your encouragement is always welcome Will. I am getting faster on the carving and putting extra effort into sanding and finishing. I believe the finishing is harder to figure out than the carving.

H

Amate, finishing might be harder than carving but you do a fantastic job finishing each and every piece.

What a shiney hiney! Great work Amate. You're full body carves are always
inspiring...might I guess that you spend a lot of time looking at butts and
legs:-)

Whoah! That American Elm is EXOTIC looking! Sweet stuff, and sweet carve! Love those feets!

M

Beautiful hiney!

Awesome skill as always

Mahalo

McTiki

T

Awesome new statue. The finish is outstanding. Is that piece spalted or is the grain normally like that? I hope you killed that beetle right after the photo! :wink:

Fantastic stuff,awesome carv'ns out of beautiful timbers.

On 2012-04-14 05:04, amate wrote:

This one may become a mask in the future.

Look forward to seeing that!
G

A
amate posted on Tue, Apr 17, 2012 5:08 PM

Thanks all. I finished the last marq and this one using tips from BigT on a process he uses. My results are not up the level of the one he showed me but with more practice...?? It's just slow with unpredictable results for me now. Of course, the spalting is really what makes the difference. The spalting is why I decided to go with a more refined finish on this one.
Well Conga, I guess I began studying butts and legs in about the 7th or 8th grade. How I ended up carving male figures from that study is anyone's guess. Kind of disturbing if I think about it too long. These days I only study the human form using anatomy books...purely academic you understand. :P

S

Mu-mm-um some great looking carves.

A
amate posted on Sat, Apr 21, 2012 4:53 AM

Thanks Seeks - your return should liven things up around here.

This Pecan Marq is just under 3 feet.

Beautiful. The detail work you've put in on the base gives you such a big pay-off on the whole project.

Very nice work!

As the professor says, the base adds that little extra to an already fantastic work...

G

wow

Fabulous Amate, like others have said, the base is really great and creates a
separate focal point, it's like two carvings in one. You know what I mean, right?
Wonderful work, and that's what we've come to expect from you. Some would say
you are "in it to win it!"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies