G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 10:08 AM

Love you're mini marqs.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 10:09 AM

Love you're mini marqs.

C
cy posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 10:15 AM

Great new stuff amate, the blue tiki is moody and cool and I especially like the stone piece!

A
amate posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2013 5:34 AM

I appreciate all the encouragement. I've been struggling with motivation and that blue Marq was going to be one I would detail up a bit more. It was not to be so it's just another half-hearted attempt. Maybe I will find inspiration in those new ones. I chipped a large chunk out of the face of the first one being too aggressive with the chisel so now I'm improvising. Since they are purely fantasy, I may just call them the Lost Menehune of Matagorda Island. Maybe I can stir up some local interest.

Amate, I'm proud to be one of maybe seven people on this site to think that "the Lost Menehune of Matagorda" is a hilarious title. I fished for speckled trout and redfish off Matagorda many times when I was a kid. Actually, I've always thought the Karankawas of that area sounded more Polynesian than Amerind in a lot of ways.

As always, thanks for sharing the great work.

A
amate posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2013 4:58 PM

Glad you stopped by for a look G. Yes, I recall you mentioning that you grew up very near Matagorda Bay. I read that the Menehune left the Hawaiin Islands shortly after the arrival of the Polynesians. As one of the only two uninhabited barrier islands only accessable by boat, I thought what better place for the Menehune to go. Then there's the alliteration factor...Matagorda Island Menehunes sounds so much better that San Jose Island Menehunes. You gotta go with Matagorda.

P

those little Marqs are killer...

A
amate posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 3:15 AM

Thanks Jeff, Trying to find something I can crank out that will be affordable. It's standing room only in here with the 5 and 6 footers.

WC

Blue man's cool.
but
The last one is ma-cob.
In a good way.
Something cranial.
E.A.Poe or H.Potter.
Something living under the crawl space.
I like it.

A
amate posted on Thu, Feb 14, 2013 5:50 AM

Thanks Will. That entity in the crawl space can be a mixed blessing.

Here is an update of the Lost Menehune of Matagorda. Now it's down to the hard part...final sanding and finishing.

There is a surf break on Matagorda Peninsula called the Shell Banks. Not very consistent but can get good during the winter when all the planets are in alignment. Here's a link for photos from eariler this week if interested.

http://www.elrideintl.net/main/forumv4/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34710

I somehow manage to finish one up every now and again.

Those look good. Great progress on
the leg, hips, torso coming together.
I guess if you do em enough, you figure it all out.
They're still creepy.
I wouldn't want to run into them
in a dark ally.

BTW
Is the blue man that big or are those guys
that small?

[ Edited by: Will carve 2013-02-15 05:12 ]

2 new ones kick ars
The last one "baby's got back" rocks

Jon

A
amate posted on Sat, Feb 16, 2013 5:34 AM

Will, Jon -thanks for checking in...
The Blue Man is 36”
The Menehune are 14” and 12” and the finished guy by the river is just over 8”.
I also started this third Menehune which is 10”.

Carving the Menehune have been rejuvenating and I’m having a lot of fun on these guys.
This little medallion has been another distraction…

This guy was inspired by…
a)Mate-mate
b)Xochipilli
c)That dude pictured on the Dos Equis label
d)All of the above

The correct answer is d

I have more traditional tiki inspired work in process and will update again shortly.

[ Edited by: amate 2013-02-16 05:38 ]

you're really getting some character into those faces- cool!

I like the pendant as well...

P

nice!

I like him.

A
amate posted on Sun, Feb 24, 2013 3:50 PM

Thanks Jeff and Amess.

I promised something more tiki so...look who's back.

I love the spalting on this guy...he's getting close.

and finally finished the slit drum.

as normally viewed.

[ Edited by: amate 2013-02-24 15:58 ]

M

That is some insane finishes.... love the Ku and the drum is off the chain. Well done man!

Mahalo

Mc Tiki

A lot of diverse and cool looking tikis you've got there.

L

Your work always outstanding me... I love these tiny slit drum!!! I must attempt to carve one...One day. He sound good?

J.

A
amate posted on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 6:39 AM

Thanks for looking in guys. Been mixing things up to stay motivated.
The slit drum is 27" and not hollowed out for practical use. Sounds like beating on a log. It took months to get around to finishing the outside. May have been years if I were to hollow in out.
The Ku is 29"

P

wow...gettin' r done!

and yeah, the spalting on that dude is lookin' pretty killer bro...

A
amate posted on Tue, Mar 12, 2013 5:03 AM

The Easter season is upon us so here goes…

Not leaving E. Island just yet…a couple more moai in the works.

Nice "Easter" post Amate, always love the "Kava Kava" and your creative photos make
the carvings look even better!

Kool, happy freekin Easter...

Jon

C
cy posted on Tue, Mar 12, 2013 8:16 AM

Cool Easter Isle carvings and photos amate.

A
amate posted on Fri, Mar 15, 2013 7:27 AM

Conga,Jon,Cy – Appreciate the kinds words. Part of the fun is showing your work. It has just now started to green up a bit around here. Had I waited 2-3 weeks, the photos would have been much greener. I was going to that location anyway to view the Panstarrs Comet so I took some carvings along for a shoot.

The Moai Papa is complete at 11 inches tall.

The Ku is 29 inches and will remain rough since he will be outside. He will take up residence next to the Blue Man after I seal him.

I have made a dozen or so attempts at Mr. Ku now. It’s time to try some of the other Hawaiian styles with a couple of mini carves. Never having done these styles, I pulled a sketch off the internet for a guide. I have included those images to give the artist his due credit…

I got a little too aggresive with the chisel on the Lono and broke off a pig-tail ...I'll try again...

All great new stuff.
Glue & dowel that piece back & move on.
It'll be fine. That happens all the time.
No RBD.
Just be more careful next time.
Carving is invasive. stuff breaks.
Pics are knock outs too.

A
amate posted on Wed, Mar 20, 2013 5:16 PM

Thanks Will. I normally don't take your suggestions lightly but in this case I moved on. I figured by the time I drilled, glued and doweled him, I could be well on the way to a new one.
and he is for learning purposes anyway and I did not expect much. So here is Lono attempt # 2. I already like this one much better.

P

I like it already...

H

Already I like it.

All of your pieces allways turn out rad but I 'm really dig'n the saw horse in the background>

N

Wow! Ive been a way for a little bit and of course your work is still turning heads and progressing like a tidal wave! Love all the new stuff. Well done.

A
amate posted on Fri, Mar 22, 2013 8:36 AM

Thanks you all for lookin' in. Always nice to get the feedback.

A

Here's the first of the "Lost Menehune".

N

freakin BAD ASSSSSS!!! Love it!

N

Beautiful scenery as well

Great carve Amate, cool stance, lots of attitude. How tall is he?

H

Ayyyyy.... want.

Groovy shots of the Menehune, Amate. Did you take them on Matagorda?

A
amate posted on Thu, Mar 28, 2013 5:08 PM

Thanks for the encouraging comments all...
Nixxon - If you find yourself on a beach, any beach, at daybreak...life is good!
Conga - He is 14 inches tall. I've got him leaning back about as far as I can get away without him toppling over.
Hiltiki - Glad you like him. I have two more similar to him I will finish shortly so stay tuned...
Professor G - Those photos were taken just up the coast from Matagorda at Quintana Beach. I was down at Matagorda recently but did not have the Menehune ready for his glamor shot.

I do have two more in process similar to the Menehune in that I'm just carving them without a plan to see how they turn out. It's really a fun way to work for me. These two will be a bit taller at about 20 inches.

Something a little more traditional.

I started improvising on the eyes/headress on that last one as well so I decided to try again and stick to the plan.

M

Dude! Its like a sauna.... in here.

Amazing work and the photography is stellar!

Keep em coming!

McTiki

I like the style you're developing.
Is that guys hat really carved that thin?

Carving without a plan - I like it!

Killer eyes

I'd love to see a pair of sun glasses that would fit those dudes

Jon

A
amate posted on Sat, Apr 6, 2013 5:07 AM

Mc, Will, Aloha, H10 – thanks guys

Moai Tangata – 12 inches

WC

My eyes bug out kinda like that too,
when I see how good your carves are getting.

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 8, 2013 11:57 AM

Nice amate, looks like he's psychin' himself for a cliff dive.

A
amate posted on Tue, Apr 9, 2013 4:12 AM

Cy/Will – I’m pretty happy with the carve but I may refinish him this summer.
And I did not carve the hat Will …it’s an accessory. Might be why my smart ass neighbor is always giving me crap about “playing with dolls”.
So, here’s the other two “Lost Menehune”. The first one is 12 inches.

And the second one is 10 inches.

If you should happen to see this Proffessor G, these photos were taken at Matagorda. After leaving the beach , I was idling down a levee to cross a marsh a short distance away, I ran across this fellow and a few of his friends. I quit taking photos after the 10th one I came upon. I plan on going back to that location when I have more time.

At some point I began to refer to the three Menehune as “Los Lonely Boys” after a regional band and decided they need some company. I somehow became distracted and failed to leave enough wood to carve her some hair. I’ll have to try to figure something out to correct that.
Thanks for lookin in’

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies