Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies

A
amate posted on Wed, Jan 1, 2014 4:15 PM

Thanks for looking in Clarita. Happy New Year to you and all TCers.
We had a couple of warm days here so I started some new projects for 2014.
A couple of guys posted some mermaids recently so I guess I’ll give it a go.

I know I will eventually get bored by carving the Marquesas style but not yet. Until then…started a couple more.

It seems like even my pelicans are rough and chubby. :D

He doesn’t look anything like the model…I’ll try to smooth things out before I call him finished.

H

I love mermaids, looking forward to seeing the final project.

P

your mini tiki-army is growing!

cool stuff man. 8)

T

On 2013-12-02 05:45, amate wrote:

Pardon me if you already answered this, but are you selling these? I'd love to own this little guy!

WC

Look, Your mermaids chubby too.
Girls faces are tuff.
I can't tell you how to make them good but
I can tell you when they're fuggly.

A
amate posted on Thu, Jan 2, 2014 6:02 AM

Hiltiki, stay tuned…I can never carve just one of anything.
Thanks Jeff… Yes, it’s getting to be quite an army. On the other hand, I always have a huge turn-out for my birthday party! :)
TikiTacky – I sent you a PM.
Will, Will, Will….you remind me of some of my friends. They say rough and chubby not only describes my carving style but my taste in women. I tell ya, one off night in the tenth grade and some people never forget! :D Ha! just kidding...I've never had an off night!

C
cy posted on Thu, Jan 2, 2014 7:59 PM

Nice work on the new panel amate!

T

I purchased amate's little Marquesan carving and am very happy with it. It's really well done, and is a great addition to my collection. I also felt his prices were more than reasonable (seriously!), so if you're looking to add a tiki to your collection, by all means send him a PM.

Amate, you need an Etsy store! :)

A
amate posted on Wed, Jan 8, 2014 4:16 PM

Cy- the panel is a bit different. I’ve been feeling a bit burned out on the traditional stuff so I need to find new enthusiasm and still maintain a tiki connection. This carving only serves as a clue to an upcoming carve with a tiki connection that will be revealed soon.

TikiTacky - I hope you enjoy him and thanks for the endorsement. Some one has suggested an Etsy Store but I still haven't gotten around to researching it. It's a lot more fun for me to make things than try to figure out how to get rid of them. It has been my policy to take the path of least resistance so I just keep doing what's fun. :)

A
amate posted on Wed, Jan 15, 2014 5:52 AM

On 2013-11-07 17:01, Professor G wrote:
The irony is that sea cats are delicious...

Professor G. - I never knew the sea cats were good to eat. We always considered them a nuisance but, considering your profession, I have to believe you. Since you asked about the progress on my sea cat carving recently, I guess I’ll go ahead and post a progress shot before I break it again. I may not be able to salvage it the next time.
For those who are not familiar with Professor G’s work, Check this out. http://www.docs-atomic-diner.com/

He takes great photos as well don’t you think? He's an artist on multiple levels.

Now a question for you woodworkers. I used some DAP Plastic Wood to repair some areas on the sea cat. Has anyone used this product? How does it take stain? Worst case is I’ll have to paint it but that’s a whole new learning curve.

Also, just about to wrap up the carving phase on this little boogie man.

hey Amate....if you don't break it....it's gonna be a great fish. Love what you
have so far.

A
amate posted on Thu, Jan 16, 2014 3:01 PM

Thanks Conga,

The shapes on many of my logs seem to suggesting they want to become fish.
Still a lot of sanding to do on this very well seasoned piece of oak.

Thanks for sharing the site, Amate. I'm loving the gafftop.

I only know that sea cats taste good because I had Cajun neighbors. If they caught it, they were going to cook it, and when they cooked it, it was going to taste good. Good grief, though, you really had to block any thoughts of the layers upon layers of slime they produced*.

The new little bogeyman is looking interesting, too. I always enjoy my trips to this thread.

*Edit for unclear antecedent: the gafftops produced the slime, not my neighbors.

[ Edited by: Professor G 2014-01-17 07:31 ]

A
amate posted on Fri, Jan 17, 2014 5:42 PM

*Edit for unclear antecedent: the gafftops produced the slime, not my neighbors.

[ Edited by: Professor G 2014-01-17 07:31 ]

:lol: :lol: :lol: understood G!

My wife is Cajun. I'm glad you explained about the slime, because in my experience it needed clarification. :wink:

T

Amate, I see you have all kinds of stuff going on over there. I'm lovin it all. Looks like owned that panel!

A
amate posted on Sun, Feb 2, 2014 2:27 PM

TikyTacky – You can’t grow up in SE Texas without learning to appreciate Cajuns. Laissez les bons temps rouler ! AYEEE!!!

This Moai is 24 inches tall. To my eye, the moody, low key photos always seem appropriate for tiki carvings. Just my personal preference I suppose.

Got a couple of tighter shots when the sun came up.

Big T - I still have a few ideas but it’s getting tough to keep it tiki without repeating myself…This next one I started is a good example of a repeat. I already have a couple carvings that are very similar to this. I’m not even sure why I feel I need another one.

H

The 24 inch Moai is just right.

P

that moai is killer...

very cool bro...

WC

I likeie.
After only a few frond guys I'm having
that problem with the same carve over & over.

A
amate posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2014 7:14 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement.
I've got too many incomplete projects so I'm going to quit tinkering with this one and call him finished.

H

I just love that nice circular line going from the chest to the forearm, I want!

A
amate posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2014 11:38 AM

Thanks again Hiltiki. Sending you a PM.

Very cool Amate...I agree with Hilda...love the lines. How big is this one...He looks a bit bigger than some of your little fellers.

A
amate posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2014 11:51 AM

Thanks Conga...he is just over 13 inches tall.

B

Amate, Definitely some of your Best work, Nice lines and detail... Keep it up.

A
amate posted on Tue, Mar 4, 2014 5:51 AM

Thanks Ben.

C

Great one, I think it's finished all right :)

Rockin it bruddah

A
amate posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2014 7:48 AM

Clarita, H10 - much appreciated!

T

Great carve! I love the color tone on this. He is deceptively large looking. Kudos to you man.

I'm in full agreement with the other posts about this marq. Great lines! Curious what kind of wood he's carved from?
Finding lots of ideas and inspiration from your thread. Thanks for sharing!

A
amate posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2014 6:35 AM

Big T. I finished this one three different ways before I backed off of him. I just got lucky on the color.
Whos – Thanks for stopping by for a look. This was a nice piece of mahogany and warranted some extra effort. I’m usually too impatient and undisciplined to take a carve to this level. I guess I just have to prove to myself I can do it every once in a while.

These look great!

A
amate posted on Fri, Mar 21, 2014 6:29 AM

Thanks Kavika...glad you stopped by.

I celebrated the Vernal Equinox on the beach.

[ Edited by: amate 2014-03-26 06:34 ]

[ Edited by: amate 2014-03-26 06:44 ]

C
cy posted on Fri, Mar 21, 2014 7:57 AM

Wow, very nice amate.

P

nice bro... you are creating an army of minis!!!

I like the mermaid... :)

Always a pleasure to see your fresh stuff.

H

That is a beautiful photograph of the mermaid by the ocean. Nice carvings.

Sweetness

A
amate posted on Sun, Mar 23, 2014 7:12 AM

Thanks gang! Much appreciated.
The mermaid and pelican are 10 inches tall.
I intend to stick with the minis even though I got half a dozen large logs ready to go. The large ones are a lot of work and not fast movers.
I started another female only this one in the seated position. We'll see how it works out.

S

WOW !! The pelican and the mermaid are beauties!

B

Nice Stuff Skoo, Love the mermaid too.

Maybe this should go on the collector's thread, but this is more fun. While experimenting (goofing off) with my light box and a new lens set-up, I took the opportunity to gather up most of my Amate carvings and put them together.

Amate, my Amigo de Aloha, I enjoy a better, groovier world because of your work.

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2014 8:28 AM

A cool tribute Professor, the seated women is very good amate.

Man that small stuff look's great . I need to carve a few new shifters so I'm think'n I better get some smaller chisels.

A
amate posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2014 4:03 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone…
Very nice photos G! Your new gear is paying off and making me look good. I’d forgotten all about that Marq mask.
And now, a brief trip to Melanesia. The first stop is the Solomon group.

Headhunter is 14 inches

On to PNG and an 8 inch spirit figure.

I decided to repurpose the wood from an old carving that didn’t quite work out. At this point, he looks more like a Muppet than tiki. I’ll try to salvage him but not really feeling good about it. I wouldn’t show him at all but I hoped the “Muppet” wise crack might get a smile. Anything for a laugh!

looks like you wrote the book.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies