Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies

Outstanding

A

Thanks for lookin' in and leaving your comments. I have been having fun with doing the carved bases. As Congatiki said, they are like two carvings in one and require a different mental zone to do the base...especially since this one had more detail. More mentall focus is needed and I have trouble slowing myself down to get there. Just a matter of more practice I hope. Everyone I do gives me new ideas for the next.

C
cy posted on Sun, Apr 22, 2012 4:51 PM

That base looks killer amate, really like the depth.

P

I hate to repeat what's already been said...but that base is AWESOME!

A
amate posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2012 5:03 AM

Cy/pjc - I may have already said it but I'm really enjoying doing the base work. I have more planned. Thanks for looking.

Now, back to the rough stuff.

I made a couple of attempts to paint the hoodoo designs on this guy but was not happy with the results. I may try to paint him again when it gets too hot to carve. For now, he will remain a UFO. (unfinished object) He is five feet tall.

Time to try something a little different.

P

killer.

Great stuff, the simplicity is so effective.

A
amate posted on Fri, May 4, 2012 4:23 AM

Thanks guys - I use the "kiss" method quite often.

This 20 inch Marquesan is complete.

A
amate posted on Sun, May 6, 2012 11:57 AM

The heat is on so the spring carving season is near the end. It will be slow going for me until October. I got a few roughed out and will be idling along on these through the summer.

The inspiration for this spirit mask came as I was drifting in and out of sleep.

I have always liked this Rapanui ceremonial staff in the San Antonio Museum of Art.

This is the first time I’m attempting one.

My Ku technique still needs a little fine tuning. I have a 5 foot log 16 inches in diameter I’m working up to. This one is under 2 feet.

I’m not 100% committed to the top knot. It should be easy enough to chop off if I don’t like it.

Thanks for lookin' in.

N

Excellent work as usual. A 5 ft Ku??? Can't wait to see that one. All the new carves look great.

Yeah, I'm liking ALL I'm seeing!

B

Awesome stuff Amate ESPECIALLY since you use the Kiss method!
.Now, you gonna tell us what the KISS Method IS???

H

"LIKE" the topknot !!!

Amate rocks the house again.....you may keep things simple but
you also put a lot of thought and effort into your work, and it shows.
I'm always impressed with the body positioning of your carvings!

Really great pieces coming along! looking forward to seeing the spirit mask.

I think sometimes it's more difficult to do something minimal, as congatiki says the body positions are awesome - the broader shapes get more attention when there's less surface detail...

Benz - KISS - Keep It Simple Stoopid! ;]

[ Edited by: Atomic Mess 2012-05-07 15:33 ]

T

On 2012-05-06 11:57, amate wrote:
The heat is on so the spring carving season is near the end. It will be slow going for me until October. I got a few roughed out and will be idling along on these through the summer.

ur killing me! Beautiful work. Your slow, is my fast forward!

A
amate posted on Tue, May 8, 2012 10:52 AM

Nixxon – the 5ft Ku depends on if I can get my daughter-in-law to sign off on installing it on their poolside patio. I gotta do something with that log one way or the other.

Thanks Surfin’ – That marq is coming along nicely.

I am always flattered to have you stop by Mr. Benz. Refer to Atomic Mess above on your question.

Hottiki – I was hoping to get some feedback on the top knot. It stays…at least for now.

Congatiki – I’m certainly putting in the effort but the thought is debatable. My carving is anything but well thought out. I start with a style in mind and usually something more specific like , I’ll make the nose better on this one by changing such and such. I first carve out the head and move on to roughing the face. Only now do I start to think about the nose. At this point I haven’t given any thought at all to the eyes, mouth, ears etc. I just make it up as I go and I often get stuck, sometimes for months, on one feature or another. The moko is the hardest to get over.

Atomic Mess – Thanks for your comments and welcome to TC.

Big T. The rough outs are easy for me and go pretty quick. As long as I have something in mind I can move along pretty rapidly. It’s when I can’t improvise on the spot that I get stalled (refer to response to Congatiki) that the carve seems to drag on. That’s why I always have more than one in the works. If I get stuck on one, I just move over to another.

[ Edited by: amate 2012-05-08 10:54 ]

H

Amate....topknot in most tribes, peoples, etc., it is a sign of honor. In a lot of carvings there is not room for a topknot, but your carving looks all the more awesome for having it...balance-style and you can stick a feather or comb in it. Goggle "topknot Maori" and you will get why it should stay. Always fun coming here and seeing your work !

Way to go! Looks like some nice projects you have going there ....

P

I say keep the top knot...

and that looks awesome bro. your original style & details are superb...

Wow
Great stuff

A
amate posted on Thu, May 10, 2012 5:53 AM

Hottiki - I followed your advice and looked at some things google directed me to. Pretty cool so the top knot stays. Thanks for your interest. I went over to the "Images" section of google and did a search for "Maori top knot". Imagine my surprise when I saw the photo of my carving posted there on page 4!!! How weird is that? I'm researching for a carving and I find a photo of the carving I'm doing research for.

Jack - Jeff and H10 - Thanks for the compliments guys! I have been following all of your threads but just don't get on here for more than a few minutes at a time. I appreciate you interest.

[ Edited by: amate 2012-05-10 06:22 ]

B

YEAH! The KISS method works when you USE it! COOL.

A
amate posted on Mon, May 28, 2012 5:36 AM

This cerimonial staff is 59 inches.

This croc has been underfoot beneath my desk for too long. Finally finished him up. 30 inches long.

Ceremonial Staff came out fantastic!! Unusual piece, very cool.
And that last photo is epic! I can see someone coming around the bend there and then seeing that on the rocks!!! ha ha ha

Funny,
I look at the pics be for I read.
I'd had swore that croc was 6 or 8 Ft long.
Both look good.

That's a couple more great pieces from you. The croc and the pictures of the croc are both fantastic.

A
amate posted on Wed, May 30, 2012 5:36 AM

That staff was fun Surfin,but took longer than I thought to remove all the excess wood from the shaft. Need better tools.
Will - that croc is creepin' me out. His eyes seem to be following me as I walk around the room.
Thanks for checking in Professor. I'll email you this week end.

P

wow!

x2 on what Will said...I figured that thing was 5 ft long!

good stuff as usual Amate!

Wow
I just did all 28 pages AGAIN
Wow
U rock
Wow

H

I can see that croc floating away into the sea for ever... Love the Ceremonial Staff.

T

The croc is outrageous!! Bravo! Dang, would have liked to see progress pics of that!

Awesome! .... and diddo on the progress pics for the Croc if you got'em.

Also, what tools did you use remove all the material on the staff?

A
amate posted on Thu, May 31, 2012 3:47 PM

I thank you guys for your comments and to everyone that stops in to look.

Jeff/Will - As for the illusion of size. Maybe he looks big because the rock he’s basking on is not that large. Everything is bigger in Texxas except the rocks! :P Ha! just kidding.

H-10 I’m not always 100% happy with everything I do but, as you know, this hobby sure is a fun when you get a good one off.

Always nice to have you look in Hiltiki. I need to figure out a good way to display that staff and thanks.

BigT /Anchorfish –Sorry guys…no progress shots. The shape of that log was perfect for a croc but the wood is in pretty bad condition. Wood was cracked and chipped off on both the tail and mouth area so I was not sure I was going to be able to pull off a decent carve. There are also areas of dry rot…

As for the staff shaft, I used a circular saw to shave the sides and get the shaft down within an inch of where I wanted it. From there it was mostly bench chisel. The chisel work was the tedious part because it’s starting to get hot here. Finished off with a planner and then belt sander.

Thanks for your interest.

A
amate posted on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 12:19 PM

A couple of quick masks.

OOh yeah, like the Marquesan stuff! NICE looking wood too! What is that?

P

nice!!!

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 6:23 PM

The mask is stunning!

Well done!

Mahalo

McTiki

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 6:26 PM

[ Edited by: mctiki 2012-06-10 10:01 ]

A
amate posted on Mon, Jun 11, 2012 3:56 AM

Both of those masks are carved from Cedar Elm, a native tree in this state. They are part of an experiment to determine if its posible to have too many Marquesans in your collection. I'm sure many have already done this experiment. :) Thanks for lookin' in.

When your saturated
you can send the over flow
to me.

I dig the surfaces you get on your carves. They always have an ancient (in a good, soulful way) look to them.

well done! the crock and the head. Good stain job!

A
amate posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2012 5:51 PM

Appreciate you kind words.

A

This one is just under 18 inches.

He looks "alive." Great carve Amate, don't let him slip into the rapids.

C

F...ing Amazing...Congratulations.....

cool carvings and fantastic location shots as usual! The hair on this one remonds me of corn rows.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 796 replies