Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

kane gettin finished up!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 275 replies

tght maybe i shld just go ahead and start my own thread if it makes it easier to follow so here it is !!! i love this site and will try and do my best as a member w pics and posts mahalo all!!! p.s.heres some recent stuff ive dun! and pardon my typing ! very used to texin due too severe hearing loss in both
ears.

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-10 19:47 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-10 19:48 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-11-12 16:59 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-12-13 19:19 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-12-26 19:39 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-12-27 15:54 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-12-30 17:09 ]

[ Edited by: big tiki scott 2009-12-31 21:04 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-01 07:04 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-05 19:14 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-06 18:03 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-07 18:07 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-08 18:24 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-09 13:08 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-13 17:26 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-13 19:10 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-15 18:15 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-18 17:02 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-18 18:24 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-19 17:49 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-20 18:03 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-24 16:51 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-01 17:15 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-04 17:43 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-06 16:41 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-10 19:41 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-13 17:14 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-22 18:13 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-23 19:50 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-27 18:18 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-03-01 18:24 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-03-03 18:34 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-03-04 18:53 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-03-08 04:18 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-03-11 17:06 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-03-12 18:48 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-03-13 16:59 ]

heres afew more just done rcntly! any and all replys and comments are welcome as im pretty new to this! but hooked on it baaaaaddddd!!! lol!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-12-27 15:52 ]

L

Congrat for your opening own thread! It is well good carving here...

J.

B

Great Scott, Your tikis look Great, scott! Keep up the great work if they are looking this good so early, you will be a Tiki Master before you know it.

laojia!thnx for takin a look and your compliments!! your newest carve,the moai bust,is lookin great already!! is that acacia wood? all your stuff is awsome beutiful wood work and joinery on your tool boxes!!! i will keep in tch thx again. benz! thanx for drpin in and your compliments!! WOW! i better step it up big time if i ever plan to make tiki master!!! lol! i can promise i will always try to get better every carve! by the way that ivory maori head is UNBELIVABLE!!! talkin about tiki master you must be the YODA of tiki masters!!! lol! thx again and stop by anytime!!!

Aloha Big tiki scott!!1 Those are Great carvings that you've done!!! Keep it up and lookin fwd to what you have next, Aloha , Mooney

thanx for takin a look mooney!!and thanx for the compliments!was lookin through your thread and...WOW!! you have lots of realy cool stuff! love the leds in the tiki head and that headress realy sets him off!! i think we are from the same island cuz i just started to draw up a sighn idea w a similar look as yours w diff words but daammn dude that is very very sweet!! and the table is wicked people keep sayin your 2D work is realy cool i think its pushin 3D!! man those palms just jump right out at yah killer,killer work man lovin it!! stop in any time !!!

A
amate posted on Mon, Oct 12, 2009 5:42 PM

These are great! You really knocked it out of the park on that first one. I love it!

T

looking at your work makes me realize i have got to do a lot more sanding thanks for the pics

amate thanks for your kind words my friend! im very happy w him ! hes got a few imbalances but hey you live you carve and you learn!! (throw a few drinks in there! lol!).again thanx it means alot!! cheers amate!!

tikigodz! i just posted on your thread! again great stuff youve been doin! lots of cool stuff w the tiki torchs and cool designs also! sandin sucks and its time cunsuming but... it will utterly transform a tiki or any carving for that matter! give it all you got and you will be knockenem out in no time!! cheers!

and to top it all off postin last pics of this guy 3 coats of spar than 320 sand in between first two and a final w 0000 super fine steel wool. then waxed and buffed. i dont do this to all was goin for a more old statue kinda finish it may not show to much in the pics but up close the buff and wax realy gives it a nice buffed shine that dosent look "applied" more like oil rubbed. startin another one tmorrow so stop in soon and i will post as i go!! luvin this site and all you guys and girls!! keep up the great work !! cheers all!!!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-12 19:12 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-12 19:14 ]

OK! heres my newest tiki started tdy. roughed out part of the face. hes gonna have a headress also,full body kneeling. tryin some new stuff so lets hope all goes well!! check back for more progress soon! thnx for lookin! cheers!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-13 17:59 ]

well heres my donation for the day! got sum more dun on my new tiki! doin sum crossed arms. this took a little bit o thinkin! lol! its only rughed in but its comin! srry for weird lighting scince the wood is so light this was the only way to show any detail. its deeper than it appears but still have a ways to go!!! cheers!and thnx for lookin!

T

bad assss what kind of wood looks like another one ill be starting something new this weekend ill post my pic till then stay dirty

thanx tikigodz!! hes comin right along! the wood is spruce pine. got more dun tday! heres the latest! and i try to stay dirty as mch as i can!! holla!

T

did this guy acouple of months ago 1 chainsaw 1 chisel what do u use in your tool box and were can i get some chisels on the cheap any ideas

very cool!! again awsome use of the tiki torch!! good wrk for just a chisel and a chain saw! as for me i use a ton of stuff i been doin wood work in general scince i was 13. i have a chain saw, 2 angle grinders w chainsaw wheels and carbide burr wheels,2 roto zip routers the newer style w metal motor heads and an assortment of carbide burrs in diff coarseness,a dremel tool w many little bits for detail work and "tattoos",and about a half doz chisels some are real carvin chisels and the others are nuthin special many are hand me dwns from my dad and grand dad, a power hand planer for strippin and quick material take dwn and a cple hand planers as well that see a little use. NO you dont NEED all this stuff and i dont use all of it on every carve as each carve has its own needs. i am savin for a cple flex cut chisels but mny is tight! and no matter what keep your tools SHARP!! it realy makes a world of diff! as for cheap chisels i think a wood workers swap site or even a local wood store like woodcrafters that has a post board wld be a good start. then theres craigs list and of course theres pawn shops! you never know what you find there! hope this helps and as always holla!!

C

Looking good. What wood are you using? So far ive been restricted to coconut palm. Pretty soft wood and very fiberous, it can be a pain when it comes to detail. I see now how that spar coating looks. Gonna have to hook my two tikis up with it.

Nice carves. Time for you to get away from that square wood?? Regular poly works a bitt better than the spar if you intend to keep the tiki out of the elements.

Claq - You will be amazed at the difference in the Palm when you put Polyurethane on it. Several coats and sanding in between coats will make the fiberous palm turn into golden butter!

C

Im looking forward to it. Cant wait to see the difference.

claq50! thanx! im usin spruce pine. it carves very nice, not nearly as soft as bass wood or a few other common carving woods but ive had atough time comin into palm and other logs that i would love to work with as well. but... spruce makes a nice tiki in my eyes. also like alohastation said regular poly thane is beautiful and less yellowing than spar if not intended for outdoor use and under your patio or covered tiki hut!!! cant wait to see your tikis w your choice of thane on them!!! cheers!

alohastation!!! honored to have yah!!! thnx!! you are absolutely correct that regular poly is prob the nicest thing you could put on a tiki or any piece of wood for that matter! was not trying to confuse and left that out by accident. i spoke of spar only for DIRECT element exposure and forgot to mention regular thane!! srry for any misunderstanding. as for square wood YES IT IS!! but but lately ive had a big gap in my normal picins of both palm and other wood logs!!! i have recently accuired some coconut palm logs(still to be seen!!!) and told possibly some cypress logs of various leanthgs. if you look closely i have a 5 foot sabal palm drying in the shop in the background . and i have a whole sabal palm coverd and drying out side. but as from previous experiance wont carve till dry. so... for now im carvin square blanks. many guys do it and i cant NOT carve!!! and will carve any shape that i have at my availability !!! lol!! hope you understand and i will post back pics of previous carves on round stock. cheers!!

and last but not least here is a few pics of my progress tdy!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-16 20:25 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-16 20:27 ]

T

L 7...... SQUARE.... RECTANGLE....TRAPAZOID...HYPOYHESIS.... ITS all getting the BIG CHOP!!! lookin good BTS

HELLL YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!THNX TIKIGODZ!!!!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-16 22:19 ]

aloha all!! heres some pics from tdys proggrss! almost there... needs toes and more work to base of the fee, detail wrk on headress and mny other areas,and of course years worth of sanding!! lol!! enjoy!!

B

Lookin Good there BIG tiki scott, and I'm loving how much that you love the Sanding part. lol

benz! thanx for stoppin in!! and thanx for the kind words! its a love to hate kinda thing w the sandin ya know!!! well that remindes me i gotta bunch of........ lol!
cheerz benz! stop by any time!!!

aloha all!! got quite a bit dun tdy! finally got my stain color right!! and one coat of spar applied.enjoy!!

T

Good work on the crossed harms, I tried before and it's tuff. So big bravo, you nailed it dude.

F

Dude, that guy is off the hizzook! Great symmetry on the headdress.

tahitiki!!thanx for stoppin in and your kind words!!! very much appreciated! yeah the crossed arms were a challenge!! was gonna just put his hands on his thighs but figured this would look cooler and be more of a challenge! mahalo my freind !! cheerz!

furball hows it carvin my man! thanx for the praise! the headdress was time consuming but in the end was realy worth it!! had fun w this guy! thanx for stoppin in!!cheerz!

F

I love the night shots. Looks like you do the same thing I do, get the kids to bed, then go out to the garage and make noise until the woman starts missing you. :wink:

thnx for stoppin in furball!! you hit it on the nose!! sometimes im lucky and and finish wrk early and i dont know if id call not havin wrk lucky but that has been a regular thing lately! but besides that alls gooood! and heres the last pics of this guy hes got two coats of spar and a final buff wax and buff again! always seems to makem look real nice not sure if you can tell in photos unless you notice less shine and more glow!? and also heres two sabal palms i got dressed today. broke the belt on my portable planer so evenin them out will have to wait. hpfly they sell replacements or im gonna use a hand plane. they need a little more dry time but bein dressed they will dry alot faster!cheerz all!!!

He is all ready working out!

hahahhahahahhahahhhaaaaahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahaaaaaaahahahahhahahhhaaa!!!! rotflmao!!!!! now i gotta makeem buff just for you drasticwagon!!!!!!! thanx for stoppin by drpin a wrd !! cheerz!

T

Hey its round thats not like u cant wait to see what you do with it your on fire when do u take a break!!!

tikigodz!! rotflmao!!! again!!! yepper there round! and shld b e gettin 5 more palms by fri? i hope! gonna do more traditional w the one wrkin out, lol! and sumthin fun w the rootball guy! rest!? whats that? am i missin sumthin here? rest? hmmmm i will get back to yah on that one gotta get my dictionary and loo.........
cheerz!

F

Heck no, we don't need rest! Drink a Java Monster at 6pm get spun and stay up late, chips-a-flyin'... I AM CORNHOLIO!!!

rotflmao!! again!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHTTTTT!!!!!!!!! thats how we roll!!! cheerz!!!

T

YEAST ' BARLEY ' AND HOPPS!! JAVA ?????? HAVE TO LOOK INTO THANKS,,,
HERES HOW FOR I GOT; BUT STIL NO EYES

yeast ,barley, and hopps deff!!!! litlle rum too!! lol! this guys realy lookin killer!!! how about makin new eyes outta sumthin else and givenem a transplant!?! hes gettin close too!!! keepem rollin!cheerz!!

C

I was wondering how you got the two tone look to the tiki? Did you just stain it one color then sand it done to reveal the base? Or did you burn or darker stain? Im probably gonna do something like that for color on my next tiki.

Stain soaks into Palm - there's no sanding it off once applied. If you want, I often save most sanding till after I apply poly. The poly "glues" the fibers of the Palm (especially the Sabal palm I have used lately) together and allows you to get a smoother finish. I have found that 3 naturalish colors are easy to create with the palm...
First is natural - the wood looks very white till coated, then it has a rich yellow/brown tone.
Second is stained (darker colors have a better effect).
Third is burnt or painted black.
*Four is to leave the wood completely natural for a more dull white. Eventually it will turn gray, especially if left in the elements.

Palm is very porous and will absorb whatever you put on it, affecting the color. Experiment before diving in. When finished and sanded Palm has a beautiful look and feel.

F

Hey Tikigodz... I think he looks cool with the inset eyes. Gives him a squinty look with that huge grin. Maybe even dig them out a little more on the bottom of the eyes for an extra-squinty kind of look.

C

Yea, i noticed that when i stained my palm. Soaked in very fast. I might try the torch next time and just sand off the char where i want to.

C

Good job, i like the stain.

T

thanks, I havent stained it yet. I think this palm has been sitting for awhile and ended up discolored. Beats me???

S

2 great looking tikis! love the headdress and the smooth finish.

IM LOST!!! lets see if i got this right.lol!

claq50...as for the two tone stain i belive your talkin about my tikis.first i sand the hell out of all. then burn all deep areas to get depth and seperation.then i go back and sand any over burn and edges of the burn that dont float my boat. then i stain whole tiki bein carful not to stain the burnd areas.let that dry.apply urethane,let that dry buff w 0000 steel wool(on reg wood only or sand w 150 or 220 sand paper for palms).and repeat! than at the end(optional)i wax and buff. cheerz!

alohastation... i belive you are refering to tiki godz tiki. and aggree w you on all that. and thanx for stoppin in !! cheerz!

furball... i belive you are also talkin about tiki godz tiki wich you stated! duh! lol!and very good ideas could see that wrkin!! cheerz !!

carita... i belive you are referring to mine and thanx for stoppin by and thnx for your kind words!!! cheerz!

seeksurf.... glad to have yah and thanx for your kind words also!! cheerz!

and last but not least srry i have not been postin much but.... i have a few new things to post very soon!!! mahalo all!!! and cheerz!

T

HEY SCOTT I GOT A SHOWING !!! Ill let u no how it goes bro. Thanks for the INSPARATION..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 275 replies