Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

kane gettin finished up!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 275 replies

beachbumz!!! thnx for stoppin in and the props!!! im tryin!! thnx again!! cheerz brah!!

C
claq50 posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 4:38 PM

By the way, what wood are you using on that last tiki?

claq the wood is coconut palm it had alot of old pecker holes in it but it was in good shape otherwise so figured what the hell!! cheerz!

Nice looking tikis! I'm also digging the outside tiki porch/bar area you've started on. It's gonna look great.

slacks ferret!!! thanx for stoppin in and the kind words!!! its comin along!!! will post more as i go thnx again cheerz!!

got sum good carvin time in today!!! all the rough is dun lots o details and smoothin and sandin to go but hes lookin good!! thanx for lookin !! cheerz all!!!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-06 16:40 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-06 16:42 ]

T

Looking good man! All those little spots add tons of character. Nice progress.

THNX TIKI MANGO!!! I TOO LIKE THE SPOTTS!! cheerz!!

Great work! Really sweeeet tiki's. Ever run into problems storing your waiting palm trunks, like mold or rot? Keep the great work coming.

B

Great Scott another looking tiki Scott! You are really getting excellent carving habits formed, nice clean lines and detail. I Love how you just keep plugging along and believe me it has been an inspiration to me. Love that coconut palm too with those telltale brown spots, I don't think there is another palm species that comes with those, anyone know why they happen? Anyway keep up the great work?

B

Oh Yeah,, LOVE that Bar TOO! Nice clean look and I'm sure as it gets used some it will gain more adornments too. Those unsavory characters hanging around looking thirsty though might need some attention, guys like that are trouble makers when they have had one too many rum drinks and as a new bar owner you will have to be mindful of the type customers you let in. Now if they only want to hang around for character reasons and to decorate well then that's another story,,, still I'd keep an eye on them, especially that unseemly guy on the left with his friends all sharing one chair!! :o :) :D

BENZ!!!! LMAO!!! I WILL DEF KEEP AN EYE ON THESE GUYS!! thnx for all the kind words!!! adornments are def in the wrks!! wrk is pickin up again but i will deff continue to plug away mybe not quite as fast but consistent!! it is now in my blood and its an itch i have to scratch!!! thnx again benz!!! big cheerz all rnd!!!

p.s. from my observations the spots are wood pecker holes that they start make it thrgh the outer hard husk and hit the wet stringy palm core and decide its not a good spot and move to try another. then as water and air and what not get in there the log surface rots a hair and leaves a spot. but i will investigate!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-08 19:22 ]

On 2010-02-08 19:16, BIG tiki scott wrote:
p.s. from my observations the spots are wood pecker holes that they start make it thrgh the outer hard husk and hit the wet stringy palm core and decide its not a good spot and move to try another. then as water and air and what not get in there the log surface rots a hair and leaves a spot. but i will investigate!!

Those are probably from tree trimmers spikes as he was climbing up and down the tree cleaning off the dead fronds. Trees in parking lots and hotels that have regular maintenence done to them usually have those all over them like yours does. Same thing with the Mexican Fan palms we have out here. I got this really old one from a hotel where for liability they had it cleaned about once a year. It had holes on one side only, where the tree trimmer guy climbed up and down it several times over the lifespan of the tree:

If you look close at some of yours, they may even be square, or triangle shaped, deepending on what type of spikes the guyb had on his boots.

The log in the front of the pile has them all over one side too:

A few of those logs in that had one side where there were spots that you can see. Some had none because they could fit a boom truck in to get them cleaned, instead of having a guy climb it.

they turn brown because the tree lived after the damage occured and it no longer was able to transport the water and nutrients through that broken portion and it died in that spot. Like scar tissue.

...at least that's what I remember from what the arborist told me when I said to him, "Whoa! Look at what the woodpeckers did to that side of the log!" Then he looked at me like I was high, laughed at me, and asked when the last time that I saw a woodpecker around here was.

Buzzy Out!

buzzy!! thnx for stoppin in and drppin a line!!! never thght of that!! and these coconuts were in a very wealthy cples back yard so that makes alot of sense!!! thnx buzzy for shedin some light on that!! cheerz!!

E2

nice work !!!!!

Buzzy's correct. They definately are the markings of tree climbing spikes. Beautiful work BTW.

Hey Buzzy, that is one huge stockpile of trunks, looks like somebody's got their work cut out for the year.

eric21!! thnx for stoppin in and havin a look and the props!! cheerz!!

coconutzo!! thnx for swingin by and i do see now this is the reason!! and thnx for the kind words!! cheerz!!

well got sum more time in on this guy did some details lots o sandin and a burn and a stainin!! so here he is!! cheerz and thnx for stoppin in and havin a look!! cheerz all!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-10 19:43 ]

Looks great. Care to share what you finished him with?

T

On 2010-02-10 19:40, BIG tiki scott wrote:

AWESOME carve. We do have some woodpeckers down here that can do damage like that - but usually if you see holes caused by them the tree is also riddled with beetle damage and that's what the woodpeckers were after.

It's this bad boy:

Woody Woodpecker lives!

TIKI MANGO!!!! THNX FOR STOPPIN IN AND THE KIND WRDS!! as for the finish i start w a nice burn w a mapp torch,then sand any over burn or woopsies, then i go back over the burns w a detail brush dipped in ebony stain, then sand again if needed on any mistakes or un wanted bleed from the stain, then last but not least i brush on a light coat of golden oak stain bein carful not to over lap the black areas. in the end i brush on two coats of thane or spray w clear deck sealer if a realy flat natural look is wanted. thnx for lookin cheerz!!

BIG T!!! thnx for stoppin in and drppin a line!! we have peckers arnd here too but these guys have me convinced that its them tree trimmers!!!! p.s. i luv woody wood pecker!!! cheerz!!

ALOHA ALL!!! got sum carvin time in tdy!!! this is was more or less a challenge to my self to one, use my small scrap cut offs and two, see how fast i cld carve up sumthin from them and third try sum diff stuff. here is the out come! the fist larger tiki is about 17 in high 9 in arnd. he is the first shot. the nose is diff for me anyway and the mouth is also kinda diff then what i do and the eye headress part is also a change for me. the nose came out ok and the mouth i realy like and the eye headress part is a bit open for what i was tryin to do. but all in all he came out pretty good. p.s. this cut off is in dire shape ! dry and very brittle he fell apart all over as i carved!!! look at his upper lip and u can seee all the chips missin! the 2nd guy is 13 and a hlf in high and 9 in arnd. this one was had better stability but was still very fibourus and grainy! however i feel i accomplished for the most part what i was tryin to do both w the nose and the eye headress area. also i didnt realy have room for teeth but i like his mouth alot!! both tikis took 5 hrs to do w the sanding and burn. ( yes there sanded but it just kept liftin fibers anyway!!). the first is gonna get a small make over then i will thane both and sand again when dry. hpfly that will limit the grain raisin!! thnx for lookin!!! cheerz all!!!

B

Cute lil' guys!

Bowie

THNX BOWIE!! cheerz!!

BTS
Those guys are lookin VERY cool! Love the look...smug li'l guys!
Damn you write a longggg paragraph! :P

A
amate posted on Mon, Feb 15, 2010 7:54 AM

These guys are so cool. I have never done this style but you make me want to give it a try. For me, I would call these complete but I know you will work your finishing magic on them. Looking forward to it.

surfin tiki!! thnx for lookin and the props!!! i know my typin stinks and use of punctuation marks and the like stink and im a two finger typer and my spelling is even worse!!!!! but i like to give a little explination( ok long!)to what im doin. see im doin it again!!! lol!! cheerz!!

amate!! thnx for stoppin in!!! and thnx for the kind words!! thats exactly why i did these guys to try sumthin out of my comfort zone both in size and style!! i know u wld do this type proud and wld love to see it!!! thnx again and cant wait to see sum more makeovers!!! cheerz!!!

heres a few guys i been wrkin on!!! there pretty simalar but there goin to pet kingdom to be sold!!! got a few more in the wrks and a few more designs!! tese guys are buyin up my stuff !!! will post pics in store soon cheerz all!! and dont worry i will slow dwn and make sum big ole sweet guys soon!!!

On 2010-02-22 18:13, BIG tiki scott wrote:
heres a few guys i been wrkin on!!! there pretty simalar but there goin to pet kingdom to be sold!!! got a few more in the wrks and a few more designs!! tese guys are buyin up my stuff !!! will post pics in store soon cheerz all!! and dont worry i will slow dwn and make sum big ole sweet guys soon!!!

Nice form. I'm curious as to how much these are fetching. Mind sharing?

[ Edited by: SDshirtman 2010-02-22 21:57 ]

SDshirtman long time no see!!! thnx for stoppin in and the kind words!! p.s. sent yah a pm cheerz!!

A
amate posted on Tue, Feb 23, 2010 3:44 PM

Really nice group there BTS. Man you can really crank em' out. If I ever were to carve a full size war canoe and needed help, you'd get the job. You're a machine!

Cool! Letsee some of the store pics too!

B

Way to go to get that account, The tikis look like a group of soldiers getting ready to go off to war with the pineapple thief's!. Cool stuff

amate!! thanx for stoppin in and the props!!! iam addicted to this so bad i just cant do enugh!!! and as for the canoe im rip roarin and ready to go!!! lol!!! thnx again!! cheerz!!

surfintiki!!! thnx also for havin a look and the kind words!! im kinda waitin on the owner to get all set up but bealive me u guys will be the first too see!!! cheerz!!

benz!! thnx for drpin by and the kind words!!! u got it they all lined up and ready to move out!!! lol!!cheerz benz!!

just thght i wld throw this out there. not tiki but kinda cool anayway!! heres a set of trial rhino/elephent horns i carved and finished . they are for the same pet store the owner is puttin this set in his personal home theter/man cave and i will be makin a second set over 8 ft tall for arnd the entrance to this place!! so here they are!! cheerz!!

aloha all!!! had to wrk most of tdy but i did get a chance to squeeze in this mask!!! thnx for lookin cheerz all!!!

B

Excellent mask Scott and the tusks are great too

Cool mask!! I like the finish, it looks like tortoise shell!

BT

What they said, great mask!

] I hope by 'quick mask' you mean you're just posting it quick, not that you made it quick :)

BENZ SURFIN AND BADD thnx for stoppin in and havin a look and the kind words!!!!! surfin, the material is the outer shell of a royal palm but aggreed it certinly has the turtle shell look!! badd im afraid to say i did kinda mean it was a quick carve i only spent two and a hlf hrs on it so.... i thgt it was kinda fast and bein the only thing i got to do...was just a quick carve i guess. gunna play dumb here is that bad? had a showin sun and kinda wanted to take it along so... but thnx again guys for lookin!!! cheerz all!

well heres a pic from sun. me and my bro set up a spot at the local blessing of the shrimp fleet at the ft myers beach harbor. they always have a small festival along w the event so figured wed give it a go!!! not bad cple sales and tons of cards givin out so all in all it went well but wish there was a more tiki type of event to go to in the general area. i dont mind travlin a bit but wld luv to see a carve or show put on dwn here!!! mybe i shld try and set one up any ideas guys and girls!? any body interested!? give me a holla mybe we can do this if not im gunna try and do sumthin up state or sumthin!!! i wanna hang w all u guys and girls like its dun in cali!!! cheerz all!!! thnx for lookin!

T

Nice collection of tikis. You know, there's this event called The Hukilau in Ft Lauderdale... maybe you don't have to sell, but you should plan to attend to get drunk... err, I mean network with fellow tikiphiles.

HELL YEAH!!! i will check that out!! thnx tikimango!!! cheerz!!

Definately need to make it to Hukilau - all of the FL ohana will probably be there. Before that - I heard a rumor about a chop somewhere on the West Coast (of FL) at the beginning of April?????

Get to Hukilau
Big Tiki Scott!
the only thing you'll regret
are the hangovers!

those carved tusks are awesome,by the way!

again thnx guys for steerin me in the right direction!!!! gunna do sum huntin about that chop too!!! cheerz all!!!

aloha all!!! well finaly got sum good carvin time and started a new guy!!! he s about 30 in tall and 10 in arnd. tryin sum of the stuff that i did w the little guys i think hes lookin pretty cool!! lots more to do but heres where im at!! thnx for lookin!! cheerz all!!

I like it alot!! You have found your groove.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 275 replies