Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

kane gettin finished up!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 275 replies

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jan 6, 2010 11:56 AM

Love the lamp, but what really makes it for me is the starburst pattern it gives on the ceiling. Superb!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-01-06 11:56 ]

benz!!! thnx for stoppin in!!! thnx for the the kind words on the lamp!! and i tried to take out what i could without ruinin the integrity of the piece. but thnx again and as always comon by any time!!! cheerz!!

tiki g!!! thnx for stoppin in and the kind words also!!!! i too took great delight in seeing how cool it looked and the way it shines on the ceiling not realy intended but an awsome effect!! and please stop in any time!! thnx again cheerz!!

well im busy as a bee here!! got a new tiki started he is ku inspired. made of coconut palm and is about 32 in tall and abt 12in wide+-. just got him dressed this afternoon. hes a little wet but not terrible so i just dove right in!! heres what i got . nuthins dun but well on my way w lots to go!! will keep yah updated. thnx for lookin!!! cheerz!!!

A
amate posted on Thu, Jan 7, 2010 5:33 AM

I nice looking log and a great start.

T

I just saw the lamp. NICE. Killer design, it's a real eye catcher. Looks like the new ku is gonna be a standout as well.

The new guy is looking great. You can see how you are progressing!!

I'm in the process of carving some wet Coconut as well, kind of as an experiment. The log may appear dry on the outside but the inside is still soggy. It carves great when wet - no splinters and it takes small detail nicely. However - some pieces that I carved a month ago are beginning to dry. They are covered in mold, cracking and have warped (2 halfs that were fresh cut). It is cracking in a curious way and I look forward to when I can finish them - another month of drying and I will work on them again. I also have a whole log that I started. It has some issues but mostly because I cut too deep. The interior wood is more fiberous and less prone to hold together. Palm rot is a serious concern as well. Good luck!

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Jan 7, 2010 1:54 PM

AMATAE!!! thnx for stopin in and the props as well!! mch appreiciated!!! i realy like the lamp bein my first i think it came out cool and the ku is comin along!!! thnx again and stopp in again!!! cheerz!!

BIG T!!!!! thnx for stoppin in and the kind words!!! mch appreiciated!!! the design as stated was a little inspired but the whole thing is realy cool thanx and the ku is goin real good!!! thnx again and comon by anytime!!!! cheerz!!

ALOHASTATION!!!! thnx for comin by and the kind words mch appreciated!!! yes i too see how mch wetter it is as i go deeper and deeper!! and as u say its great carvin!! but you confirm my fears of how it goes as it dries!!! some of the logs that are on my pile in astrge unit also have a hint of mold on the ends but i do notice that each day as i carve those areas tend to drie up pretty good sooo... what im gunna try is when im dun putt it in my solar kilin wich is a medium dryin unit w a circulation fan and some vents to help w clearin the humidity and when the sun goes down it lets the wood relax and that has always helped me produce check free lumber from local cut trees!! so we will see if this helps i will keep yah posted!!! thnx again!!! cheerz!!

PDRAKE!!! thnx for stoppin in !!! glad to have yah!!! and thats one helluva way to show a guy up!!!!! lol!!! that is the sickest most bad ass lamp i have ever seen!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!! now i realy got my work cut out for me!!!! hats off brah!!! cheerz!!!

and last but not least.... here is the latest on my ku!! enjoy all and thnx for stoppin by!!!! cheerz!!

Great Carve!

THNX SCOTTY!!!! AND THNX FOR STOPPIN IN!!! cherrz!!!

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Jan 7, 2010 6:22 PM

i didn't carve it. it's at the royal kona resort in kona. it's the nicest lamp i've ever seen. i wasn't trying to show you up. :) just trying to help inspire . . .

i know!!! just playin!!! its awsome and def inspires!!! thanx brah!!! cheerz!!!

B

Scott - Bra that Ku is beauuuutiful! I'm diggin the nose and mouth on him..
btw - I like all your work,hope to carve like that someday..
AlohA

BEACHBUMZ!!!! THNX A MILLION!!! and trust me when i say u WILL if yah just keep carvin and checkin out this site and gettin ideas and info it will come!!! it took me awhile and im still learnin!!! and from what i can see you are off to a great start!!!! keepem comin!! thnx for stoppin in cheerz!!!!

T

That's some kind of progress. Lookin great. Wish I could work that fast. :)

BIG T!!!! THNX FOR COMIN BY!! i think i have what i like to call lake disease!!! as lake surfer explained in his thread i have aREALY hard time stoppin once i get dun i just go until i cant take the cold no more and then call it a night!!!! but thnx for the kind words and stoppin in!!! cheerz!!

ok got more dun tdy not as mch as id like (had to pu bro from airport)!! but hes comin along!!! hopfully dun in a day or two headress,sum balancen and detail wrk and loads of sanding!!!! cheerz all and thnx for lookin!!!

Super Awesome.

scutty!! ur too kind!!! but thnx a ton!!! u guys keep me goin!!! always a pleasure and come by anytime!!! cheerz!!!

well got sum carvin in tdy but frankley it just got to damn cold to keep goin!!!! but got the headress about 90% so im happy!!! did a few details but have many more to wrk on b4 sandin!! but heres where im at!! and as alway thnx for lookin and cheerz all!!!

B

He's awesome, the headres is killer!!
Now.... how are we going to ship this over here again?? :wink:

well im gonna stuff him in a duffell bag and will be right there!!! lol!! thnx for the props brah!!! cheerz!!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-09 13:44 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-09 13:45 ]

WOWEEEE!

thnx scotty!!!!

S

Well done.

A
amate posted on Sun, Jan 10, 2010 5:26 AM

Wow! you are making great progress on this one Scott. Not only that but this project is, in my opinion, your best carve yet. Nice job.

seeksurf!! thnx for stoppin in and ur kind! words mch apprieciated! cheerz!

amatae!! thnx for stoppin in!! and i also think this is a step foward for me!!! thnx for the encouragement and kind wrds mch apprieciated!!! cheerz!!:-)

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-10 06:24 ]

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-10 06:25 ]

M
Mako posted on Sun, Jan 10, 2010 12:15 PM

Wow, some great stuff in this thread.

mako!! thnx for stoppin in and havin a look!! and thnx for the kind wrds mch apprieciated!!! cheerz!!

Shweeet! Nice and flowing! Excellente'!

surfintiki!!! thnx for stoppin in and the kind words!!! im tryin and u guys make it worth it!!! thnx again cheerz!!!

E2

yes man !!!!!
very good job !!!!!

eric 21!!! thnx for stoppin in and havin a look!!! and thx for the props!!! cheerz!!!

AWSOME AND CLEAN !
I dig the whole thing!

tikiville!! thnx for havin a look and the props mch appreiciated!!! lettin him dry a liitle more in the deep spots b4 final sand and finish!!! thnx again and cheerz!!!

aloha all!!!! while im dryin the ku i started another!!! hes realy a desighn ive wanted to try for awhile but havent had the balls to try!! well here it is... i did this on prob the wrong stinkin log but it fits the hieght and diam i need for tiki hut support.it was a standing dead coconut that has some spalting but is still sound. as i found out for this carve he idnt realy have all the room i needed for the idea but i still think hes pretty cool so..... MAI TAIS!?!?... GET OFF MY HEAD!!
hes still got alot of details and finish work i will post!!!
CHEERZ ALL AND THNX FOR LOOKIN!!

Very Nice.

P

you know, i'm not a fan of these odd faced, tongue out tikis, but the form and detail is very nice. good jorb.

thnx scotty!!!! hes far from dun but a real good rough! hopin he cleans up good! cheerz brah!!

pdrake!!! thnx for stoppin in!!! i am tryin to do more traditional looking tikis these days but once in a while i get the urge to do sumthin fun!! but i am gunna try to incorparate the traditional style w the fun more!!! but thnx for the props!!! p.s. i have a bad knack for doin the tongues too mch fun!! thnx again and cheerz!!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-01-13 19:11 ]

F

Scottie! You crazy man you. Nice work.

FURBALLL!!!!! where yah been buddy and thnx for stoppin in!!!!!! i try w the crazy stuff yah know gotta let those things in the head out!!! lol! cheerz brah!!!

C

Im liking the new tikis alot. I havnt had anytime to start work on a new one, but hope to start htis week. you have motivated me.

claq 50 was just wnderin where u been!! thnx for stoppin in and havin a look!!! glad i could be a motivator!!! cant wait to see what u gunna carve up!! thnx again cheerz!! p.s. and u have inturn motivated me!!

F

Seems like everyone was busy with the holidays... time to get back to carving. I work in my garage but damn, it was in the teens for a couple weeks there so I just stayed inside. Most of the forums I haunt are slow around this time of year too.

OK HERE THEY ARE!!!! FIRST UP IS THE GOLDEN KU!!! he finished up beautifuly in the solar kiln!!! the log was even nicer than i thght once i got sum thane on!!! included is a closer shot to show the grain better!!! and second is mai tais!?!?!?! .... get off my head!!!!! he cleaned up good torched and thane no stain. he turend out dark but i like it!!! and last is my next cple logs waitin for sum choppin!!! cheerz all and thnx for lookin!!!

oops.

heres the logs.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 275 replies