Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

skootiki's carving log

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 532 replies

S

this tiki farm mug 2003 by M'E HANA was my inspiration

maybe more staining and some type of finish?

L

Welcome on your own thread! More pics please!

J.

A
amate posted on Sun, Nov 8, 2009 6:37 AM

I'd love to be able to offer advice on stains and finishing but I'm still trying to learn the ropes myself. There are a lot of talented people here that are very generous about sharing their knowledge and I will be watching for any suggestions offered. I just wanted to offer you my encouragement.

B

Yes, Nice to see you in your own thread. Nice new carving

S

thanks for the encouragement
this is a better pic of a previous post MAHALO

S

this is the little guy that started this tiki fever for me
a palm log..a cheap chain saw...a little free time.....tiki fever

S

this guy wasmy first attempt with a chisel
now he lives in the backyard

Skootiki, Welcome to TC. Nice first time tiki's. Would love to see some progress shots.

S

I am not too good at taking progress pix, but here are a few
had to move into the garage

started to try legs and feet,chickened out and went for grass skirt

he still has a long way to go ........

lookin good , Its great watching the improvement in progress, deeper deeper in those logs

S

Aloha All,
It may be premature, but I might have a few TIKIS in an upcoming Craft Fair. Any ideas on pricing? I know that my carvings are pretty simple compared to most of the work displayed here onTC, and it is just a hobby. However, if anyone wants to buy a Tiki, that would be nice.
Any input would be appreciated.

I am new at this too pretty much. I have been making it where the customer is happy and I am happy, just a middle point for the both of us. That way I am happy with the time I have in it and foremost the customer is happy all the way around. people always ask me how much? And I can never give them a price. maybe someday I will be able too like the big guys.

S

submitted for your enjoyment, a few recent carvings.

this santa was inspired by a posting by Tiki Ray ( I hope that you don't mind, Ray)

Thanks for looking

B

Nice stuff, you notice how your tikis get better with better quality logs? Some logs are too old and deteriorated to really get a good tiki from. Lookin' good.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben. I have some logs that are developing big cracks in the end grain (is there really grain in a palm log?).Do you think that they will keep cracking more, or will I be able to just cut the ends off ? Any input will be appreciated.
Lotza Mahalo.

A
amate posted on Mon, Dec 14, 2009 4:21 PM

Nice group. Looks like you've been buzy. My favorite is for the one on the left. I love the stoic expression.

B

Scootiki, Yes, Palms will split and crack, tho usually not much. It depends on the type of palm too as they aren't All good for carving. If a palm log starts splitting, just let it dry a bit more before crving it. The Queen and King palms are usually not great for carving, having a mushy center surrounded by a thin outside layer of trunk that gets very hard. Try to ID your logs and we'll go from there.
Hope this helps.

S

my first attempt at carving a body

kept it pretty basic, it was fun

shootiki !!! very nice!! great job on a first full body!! hes awsome dude cant wait to see it w finish on!!! cheerz!!

Is that the log that was cracking? It looks like Queen Palm, which would explain the cracks.

S

This log has some cracking, I have some others with more. They came from the same location. I think that they are Queen Palm.
My neighbor cut them down and I couldn't let them go to the dump.

S

Aloha, I just got back from a short trip to Maui and posted some pics on the Tiki Travel Forum of Tikis that I saw there
check it out if you are interested.........
Mahalos

shoo tiki guess i missed the post w ur first full body!srry! but he looks awsome!! i too cant wait too see him all finished up!! cheerz!!

S

visited a couple of my previous tikis this weekend at my kids houses....
seems like they are doing well

Nice stuff! They look right at home. I'm gonna go check your photos in the travel section now,...going to Oahu in a couple weeks.

TT

Hey nice stuff skootiki! My brother lives in Fallbrook! Well he just left on Friday to Afghanistan he's a Marine.I plan to still go up to see my sister'n'law maybe next time I come up there I can see your work. Thanks, keep carv'in.

S

Thanks Tiki Tonz, I don't have a lot of tikis to look at but let me know when you will be around Fallbrook and it would be nice to meet you. Tell your brother and sister-in-law that we appreciate them for their service and hardships and sacrifices they go through for our country.

Nice work on the tikis. Some commanding tikis for early on.

TT

Thanks skootiki, I will pass that on,I appreciate that.yeah that sounds good! I've been carving for about two and a half years, so maybe we can swap some ideas. If you have email on TC I'll contact you.Thanks again, Tony.

T

Those two tikis look good out there in the wild. Looks like they're aging well.

S

a couple of tikis in progress

a lot more chain-saw and grinder on this one

A

These fellas look great and show very rapid progress in your work. Nice!

I like him! Very unique and a good looking tiki. Keep'um coming.

S

Thanks , Amate and Tikilizard for the comments.......I'll try to post some more soon.

On 2010-04-19 20:11, skootiki wrote:

Looking forward to seeing how you finish this guy. He's looking real good!

S

Right on! looking good you are going strong mixing it up.

S

just a couple of progress shots of another

That looks like queen palm...

T

THATS HUGE!!! (thats what she siad)

still needs to be finished, staining and poly.
this week I'll be finishing a few

S

Looking good. How tall is this guy?

S

he's about 5 ft. tall........and he's off to Bamboo Bens garage sale with his buddies

S

had a great time at Bamboo Bens garage sale

thanks to all the tiki fans that chose one of my tikis to adorn their home or yard .....

nice meeting you today man, and congrats on moving all those pieces. keep up the good chops!

S

Right on!

T

Nice Effen job!! Glad to see some of your guys moved !
Now u have to make up for them.

S

thanks for the comments, Thomas, seeksurf and tikigodz.
Good to meet you Thomas, see ya at another one.

B

Hey Skootiki, super bunch of tikis, you are getting GOOD and the surfer with the tail is just Awesome,, Right on!
Man I'm Loving visiting your thread and seeing your stuff.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 532 replies