Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Shrunken Heads and Headhunters Art Swap - Draw List p20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 372 replies

when is the draw?!
who gets what !?
Is all ashore thats goin ashore?!

B

daaaaaaaaaaaaaayum!!! great stuff comin in!!!

thanks for all the effort tiki Ohana!!!

T

BigToe - thank YOU for jumping in with we groms! Appreciate you being a part of the swap!

Anyone heard from Hewey recently? I realized we haven't seen his Elvis inspired shrunken lately...

anxiously (but patiently) awaiting the news as to which of these wild pieces I get to welcome home...
my Tribe keeps asking "daddy, which shrunken head are you getting?"

maluhia,
Jason <

[ Edited by: TikiDaye 2010-04-16 13:49 ]

A

Ok tiki folks, I'm powering down over here and will check in as connectivity permits...

To my Swappee- I'm taking your prize piece with me, and will send it along
asap....emphasis on the "possible"

yr tiki pal,

-amybean

H
hewey posted on Fri, Apr 16, 2010 3:28 PM

Hey folks. I'll be drawing the swap this arvo (currently brekky time down under), so you're gonna have to wait just a liiiiiiiitle bit longer :D I usually give a couple days lag after the 'closing date' for some of the stragglers :lol: and today Ive got a property inspection so need to do some last minute cleaning to make the place a bit respectable! :lol: :lol:

Oh yeh, Elvis is done I just need some time to take pics...

Not long naoooooow :D

H
hewey posted on Sat, Apr 17, 2010 3:13 AM

Bloody late bastards :lol: :lol:

H
hewey posted on Sat, Apr 17, 2010 4:20 AM

Oooookay, the draw is done! I’m pretty sure this has been the biggest swap yet, so it’s great to see some new faces in amongst the mix – even if they were a little shrunken :lol: :lol:

Now previously I have limited it to one swap piece per person (like we don’t want one person doing 20 pieces and swapping with EVERYONE). This time around a couple of people have submitted 2 pieces, and looking back through my posts I never said that you couldn’t submit a couple of pieces, so I have made the judgment call to allow them to enter them as 2 single swap pieces THIS TIME, as they made them in the belief they could enter 2 pieces. The next swap will be limited to one swap partner each.

Okay so the draw was overseen by ol Margaret ‘Jackpot’ Sidebottom. Margaret loves her bingo, walks in the park and hardcore S&M with her husband Spencer. She threatened to whip me if I was unethical in how I did the swap! :lol:

Sooooo, the swapping partners are:
Capn Pharaoh swaps with Blisskitchen
Bad Tiki swaps with bb moondog
Bongo Bungalow swaps with Tiki 65
Artosauras swaps with TikiDaye #2
Tikiville #2 swaps with MP#2
TikiG swaps with Amybean
Ravenne swaps with Travelling Jones
TikiDaye swaps with Little Lost Tiki
Tikiville swaps with Tikigodz
Tikimango swaps with MP
Big Toe swaps with Tipsy Mcstagger
WaikikianMoekele swaps with Zerotiki
Now there were an odd number of swappers, so the last 3 swap in a triangle
So Hewey sends to Danlovestikis
Danlovestikis sends to VanTiki
Vantiki sends to Hewey

TikiG please note that Amybean has advised that she will be out of town for 10 days
Tiki65 please note that Bongo Bungalow has also advised they will be out of town for a few days

So please PM your swap partner with your address, send your creation off in the post and keep an eye on the mailbox for your pressie :D And don’t forget to take a pic of your new artwork in its new home!

Oh yeh, any ideas for a new topic? We've had PNG, Poly Pop Menu Inspired, Shrunken Heads, NZ/Maori, Oceanic/Maritime and Moai. Would you beleive the first swap was way back in 2007!!!

Hewey out! :D

Thank You Hewey For organising the swap!
It's always awesome!
I can not wait to see the items first hand

As for suggestions for a new theme:
perhaps the next theme could be a little more subtle ...like a tropfest theme.....all entries must incorporate the same element, like coconut., or sea shells ... or ???

this way it is subject to a broader interpretation, and we may get some crazier items.

(For those that don't know what tropfest is, it is a short film festival that happens every year in Australia , all entries are limited only by a preset theme .....something simple, one year it was bubbles.... some films were based entirely around bubbles others simply had a bubble floating through a single screen shot, but all had a bubble in it)

Great swap all! My suggestion is for the BIRDS! Lends itself to various tropical interpretations: Cassowary bone daggers, PNG warrior hornbill back ornaments, Solomon Island Frigate Birds, Birds of Paradise on black velvet (the bird, not the flower), there's the birdmen clan of Rapa Nui, you could make a case for the Baining Fire Dance mask being bird inspired with their duck-like bills, someone had recently posted a great humorous painting of a Moia with a buzzard-like bird perched on top of his head, how about a Hawaiian Feather Helmet - I'd like to see one of those at Oasis instead of a fez :D

Great suggestion .......given my recent bout with the lorikeets...I may even have some real bird bits to use....
Birds have definitely given inspiration to most the people on this planet love them or hate them ...americans love their eagle....the owl is wise...the tibetans believe in sky burials
and ultimately this is some of my favourite bird footage .... you can really start to understand where dances and customs come from .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB8UodV_DJg

I was going to suggest inventing your own tiki idol but reading MadDogMike's suggestion I vote for the Birds! When I was 3 years old my mother made a scrap book for me of photos from National Geographic. My favorite photo was of a Cassowary. I've been so happy to find those birds feathers on PNG masks and to know it's existence isn't just my secret anymore.

Hewey, this has been another fun journey. We met years ago on-line and now your art comes here. Having your Elvis is like a visit from a friend.

Please start the next swap soon, it's so addictive that I would be sad not to be working on something for it. Cheers and Thank You! Wendy

HEWEY PLEASE TAKE A PHOTO OF YOU HOLDING ELVIS AND SEND THAT TO ME EITHER HERE OR BY EMAIL. I WANT TO ATTACH IT TO THE BACK OF THE ART, THANK YOU!_____________

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-04-17 07:48 ]

BT

Awesome swap everyone, lots of cool stuff all around. Glad I finished up my piece and was able to take part in the trade.
bb moondog's piece will look great on my wall.

Birds is a great idea. Very tropical and yet very open too, I can see another great mixed bag of media coming out of that. I already have an idea!

WOW..luck o'the DRAW worked for ME..am SUPER -PSYCHED to receive the BADDTIKI shaker!!! will torment my household with it when not admiring the finesse it took to create it...GREAT swap!!!

R

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hewey - thanks so much for putting this all together... great stuff all the way around!

I like MadDog's idea "For the Birds"! I already have a couple ideas mulling around in my noggin... but I will narrow it down to just one this time!

Also, just wanted to give you guys a look at the frame I customized for "Unlucky Lou and the Boys" --my first "frame customization"-- hope you like it Ken!

"Unlucky Lou and the Boys"
watercolor & sharpie (oil pastel rubbed mat & customized wood frame)
overall dimensions framed = 16.5" x 13.5"

Peace,
Jason <

Very clever Jason, now I wish I'd kept my old frames. Your art looks terrific and the frame just enhances it. Wendy

T

Thanks, Wendy!

Great fun, this was.
(yoda voice)

maluhia,
Jason <

A

Thanks again, Hewey, TikiG, and everyone else!
I'll send a picture of my prize when I get back.

Anyone interested in a Swizzle Stick swap?
originals only, of course...

On 2010-04-17 10:37, ravenne wrote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. DITTO! 8) ** YAY RAV'erZ!!! YAY!!!** 8)
T
TikiG posted on Sat, Apr 17, 2010 9:02 PM

Yay!! I'm getting the amybean vinyl!!! :)

-sent you a PM

Thanks everybody for such a killer swap. I really appreciate everybody's participation and passion for this. G

yeah.
(I'll insert pic here when item arrives )
Z.

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-04-19 11:24 ]

Little MoMo is coming to my house! YEAH!

Yay for UNLUCKY LOU and the BOYS!
He will relax in a place of honor in the studio
amongst other strange tropical friends!
Thank you Jason
and thank you hewey
for bringing these swaps to life!

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDz!

whoo hooo!! thanks !! always wanted some of big toe's work!!...sent p.m. to ya...

be careful Tipsy!
the Toe usually permeates his art with smallpox!

B

yeah, sorry about the smallpox Tipsy...

but i am STOKED on my new SWAG LAMP!!! that thing is SICK!!

talk soon,

toe

Hewey , THANK YOU for all the work and the tuff draw,
Great to see that all the folks are sweet on their swap!
amybean,what swizzles do you need to aquire?,send me a pm

T

HEy!! Tikiville the piece you made is sick cant wait to see it in person
pm me your info and ill send yours.

First BRAVO for this swap!! this topic is just excellent! I'm totally amazed about all the different creation...! just incredible! :)

I just have a question for you TJ...:

tell me the truth :) did you stole it from the quai branly museum ???!! :wink:
YOU ARE A KILLER TJ !!!!!!!!
I'm sure if you put your incredible creation in the museum... nobody would tell it's not a real one!
Just Magnifique!!!

Z

First swappage has been received!

plus a surprise matchbook from the Waikikian!
Nice!
~Zero

M
mp posted on Wed, Apr 21, 2010 10:26 PM

Aloha Everyone, great work on the swap! Thanks hewey for hosting another.
I have to admit to everyone I feel a little weird for entering two
pieces and grabbing up two pieces. Im stoked to get my trades but the
swap is about sharing. I got excited, hit the paints and wasnt thinking straight.
Next swap I will keep it to one. Anyway, I thought there was some great energy this swap.
Mahalos, MP

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Apr 22, 2010 8:19 AM

2nd Art Swap piece arrives!! :)

This photo of me holding my new acquisition was taken this morning.

Amybean, I love it!! Your art will be proudly hanging on the wall behind me soon (and yes - your TikiG shrunken head is on its way to you, enjoy!)

***Thanks for a great swap everybody. This sharing thing is infectious isn't it?
What a great way to bring us together and share a common drive - creativity!!!

On to the next )

3rd piece has arrived :D

Super stoked but at work not home. Need to find a frame this weekend and I'll post a pic.

T6

Hey Everybody
Got my Art swap. It looks GREAT and it's already in its new home. Amongst the rest of my tikis and tiki art. Its a awesome piece and I will be ever thankful.
A big Thanks to Bongo Bungalow for a job well done and to Hewey for hosting a great swap.

I'm looking forward to the next swap.

Aloha & Mahalo
Tiki 65

Little Mo-Mo is in his new home!

& being welcomed by the natives

& a drink recipe to try

I got laid off from my job on April 16. Knowing that Little Mo-Mo was going to be coming here helped. Thank you, Zerotiki for all of the goodies, including the 'Fang Club' gear! I feel so special!
~Kele

A

Got my swap from TikiG. Hey look- Twins!! Thanks again :D

:lol:
a perfect match amybean!
Got my UnLucky Lou and the Boys from Jason!
Now i gots to find a place where he'll get along with his
other neighbors on the wall!

Thanks hewey for organizing another great swap!
and thank you Jason!
BIIIIIIIIIRDS!!!!!!

May 2nd! Bamboo Ben's Garage Sale! Be there!
http://www.facebook.com/ken.ruzic
http://www.kenruzic.com

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2010-05-01 23:02 ]

T
TikiG posted on Tue, May 4, 2010 10:33 AM

Amybean!!

Wow! - your caged shrunken head has found a mate. You two make a beautiful couple.

Thanks for posting. G

To all swappers that haven't posted yet - this can't be the end of the thread - there's gotta be more pics of swap art out there, where are they? Let's see 'em!!

TikiG

tiki since '67!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-05-04 10:37 ]

Amybean~
As my niece used to say when she was little "like-alike"!
Love it!
~kele

T

Kinny! Thanks for the Over Ripe Shrunken Head.... the whole Tribe loves it!

He arrived awhile ago but I had to work on a suitable frame worthy of such a fine piece of Ruzic creativity!

Without further ado, a frame I customized to give an old world, rustic, fresh from the jungle feel... I also backed Over Ripe with some black velvet to make the colors pop even more. I am so excited with how this all came together!

These pics are taken with my blackberry and just don;t do this wild piece justice... but the digital camera battery is messed up.... so enjoy!

Here is Emma, one of our 6 year old twin girls, peeking out from behind good ol' Over Ripe:

Here is a shot of the framed Over Ripe:

A close-up of the black velvet backing and the frame I customized for ol' Over Ripe:

A pic of me proudly holding my own original Ruzic! (my 11 year old daughter took the pic.... sorry it's a little fuzzy)

And last, but not least, a little extra sketch with splash of color Kinny sent along for the Tribe (my six kids LOVE Kinny's artwork... who doesn't?)
Kinny was super cool to send some birdmen, 'The Consolation', as the Tribe loves them... he even inscribed a cool note on the back of both Over Ripe and The Consolation to the whole Tribe... the wife and kiddos loved 'em!

Most everyone here already knows how great Mr. Ken Ruzic is... and I'm a blessed man to have been able to swap with him!!! Now to get these up on the wall... right now Over Ripe is above our fireplace in the family room but the wifey mentioned she thought he would "provide me more inspiration" in my office. Apparently Shrunken Heads don't go with her decor :) She loves the painting though!

Thanks again, Kinny!

Peace,
Jason <

"BUMP"
Has anybody else gotton their swap art yet?
more pictures !

T6

"BUMP"

The law of averages is dead on this post.

We had 27 pieces of art swapped and only 7 or 8 replies. Slow mail?

This is the age of the digital camera? Right?

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 12, 2010 9:08 AM

Yeah! Ditto w/ above. What's up with this thread?

Before names were matched, the enthusiasm 'round here was infectious.

Today this thread appears infected. sick. dying.

Our swap arrived from Hewey today. I will take photos soon and post them. I wish that Heweys photos of shrunken Elvis did it justice, it's far more wonderful in person. Good job Hewey. I hope that eventually every person who contributed will post photos showing the arts new home. This is part of the fun people. Wendy

M
mp posted on Wed, May 12, 2010 11:02 PM

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay, Im trying to do too many things at once and
its a pain in the butt!!! I received my trades from Tikiville and Tiki Mango last week
and they are awesome. Thanks fellas, thank you so much! They are down in the studio
awaiting the tiki bar I am slowly working on right now. Tikiville you should have yours
about now and Ray I took some extra time on a fixing up a frame for it. Its in the mail.
Here are the pics. Pretty frikin sweet.

TikiMango's Musical head in a box. It works!

Tikiville's shrunken head #2 and some tiki goodies. Rad!

Here are my trade pieces final shots on the way out.

Shrunken Head #1

Shrunken Head #2

I hope you like'm fellas. Thanks again to Hewey and everyone
for a really cool swap!

MP thank you for posting your paintings together, I wanted to compare them so my wish came true. You are really good. Later tonight I'll post our photos of the shrunken Elvis, he's cool, Wendy

T
TikiG posted on Thu, May 13, 2010 4:09 PM

MP,

Thanks for posting, man!

I agree with Wendy too - you are really good and your shrunken-head paintings ARE spectacular!!

(it was cool talkin'/hangin' out with you at Ben's Garage Sale. We'll have to meet up at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk sometime and take a few spins on the Giant Dipper.)

Cheers! G

THANK YOU HEWEY FOR THE WORK OF ART AND THE MAGAZINE. WE ARE HAPPY COLLECTORS. NEXT SWAP IS.....

My painting went to VanTiki

We got Heweys shrunken Elvis and a gift of a magazine with tikis and girls.

Back side of Elvis

and VanTikis went to Hewey.

Hey Hewey and VanTiki post your photos! Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-05-13 17:03 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 372 replies