Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The South Pacific Room-Vista,CA-updated 04/15/15

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 217 replies

Gorgeous designs! They show a lot of imagination.

On 2010-10-25 16:15, MadDogMike wrote:
How do you keep the router bit from jumping around when it hits the grain?

Mike, I'm curious about this too--but as a cabinetmaker I'll speculate that it's shallow cuts and a sharp bit. In my line of work, we almost never make freehand cuts.

I would rest my forearms on the table and control the router by only moving my wrists. Probably takes a lot of practice!

Soft woods have alternating layers of hard and soft grain. Hardwoods tend to be more uniform in their density.

It was all freehand.

Everything Stu said is true.

Great designs Derek, but what really does it for me is the staining! Couple browns, and then some red and white thrown in to make it pop!

Beautiful work. You keep raising the bar.

J

Your badassity is noted and saluted, especially from those of us whose only Tiki crafting skills are a) hanging prints (more or less) straight and b) taking out a checkbook.

S

On 2010-10-25 16:15, MadDogMike wrote:
Simply amazing! Looks like 1 inch pine? How do you keep the router bit from jumping around when it hits the grain? When I try to route a straight line it looks like it was done by a 3 year old (a 3 year old wearing proper personal protective gear of course :D )

There's the problem. Never make straight lines! Too hard!

Nice work here chief. Really adds a lot of depth to the room. I can't believe the finish work. That's a lot of effort! Heck, just drawing all that out is a lot of work. I took the easy way out on mine. One stamp and one router bit and one finish.

Installed

Incredible detail work Derek ....looks insane !

Just amazing Derek. I am a huuuuuuuuuuuge fan of your work.
Thanks for the awesome inspiration, as usual :)

K

Holy cow bells, that's freakin' amazing work. I have talent envy, and router envy. You make using a router look easy (when I know it's not)!

MT

I ALWAYS look forward to seeing the updates that you post on this thread, Derek! Your place is really looking great! It's definitely an inspiration.

This guy is truly an artist.

What more can i say,Apart from do you want to come to England to do our bar?!!

Jesus H Christ Monkeyman, that is just amazing work. Having attempted using a router myself a few times, I'm really floored by the accuracy of your work.

Dang !

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 27, 2010 11:03 AM

That's just simply GORGEOUS MonkeyDude!!

Thank you everyone for being so kind with your feedback.

Your comments really help me stay motivated to work on my tiki room and keep up with the other artists here.

S

That looks fantastic, Derek!

You're a master with the color Derek. I love that look of muted color over dark stain... one of my favorite types of pieces to create.
It gives off such a cool vintage look.

I love the designs you've got going to. You've got great control with the router and that shows in the detail you're carving.
Great PNG designs... and PNG and color go hand in hand.

There is nothing more satisfying then creating pieces like these by hand. Machine aided, but no doubt carved by hand!

Love to see your updates, I'm in a bit of a lull lately myself and seeing this great new work has inspired me to get going again.

Ive Built a mug shelf and moved in a tiki bar....

A few small changes but it continues to evolve.

Next is a roof over the bar.

Beautiful!

Looks amazing. You do incredible work. Very talented!

Looking at that outstanding router work leaves me both amazed and downcast at the thought that I would never be able to come up with anything that good. Looks like I am going to have to try Plan B for my panels: paper mache anyone?

CN

M
Murph posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2011 1:19 PM

Awesome!

W

Wow! Fantastic room. Love all the lamps.

Chris

P

Monkeyman, Monkeyman, Monkeyman. You are in two words, a G E N I U S A R T I S T. I haven's seen such gorgeous beams and trim on any of the posts here. You are so talented, and yes, the painting just adds to the crazy gogeousness. Someday I will begin my tiki room too. My idea for a "chair rail" of sorts would be some split bamboo poles mounted onto say a 1x4 on the wall...but the bamboo is pierced with a design using a router, and inside the half pole would be some red or amber rope light so it glows through. I don't know if a router would work on bamboo? I thought that would look really cool. Great job. I love your posts!

I still LOVE the way you add subtle coloring to your carved woodwork. It's totally unexpected and really different from the usual stained wood seen here on TC. FANTASTIC!!!

WOW WOW WOW
I am blown away by your router work! And the staining really shows it off.
Love the lighting on the mug rack too!
congratulations.

Hi Derek, I've said it before but your work is a huge inspiration to me (going all the way back to that first album picture frame I bought from you). Makes me even more inpatient to get back to work on mine (healing up from a car accident).

Hope you're having a great time in that room (can't imagine anything else in there). Isn't it cool having a room that can instantly put a smile on anyones face as soon as they enter?
Your family must be very proud of you and your talents.
Much aloha, my tiki friend,
John

E

Dear Mr. Monkeyman -

Any chance you could take a photo of the lighting on the mug shelves you have in the room and post here? What are you using for lighting - a light rope?

Thanks

WE use rope light. Stays cool. Power efficient. Inexpensive

WE cut off the stock wiring and solder on a much longer extension cord so that WE can hide it all behind the bamboo and run it to the floor. If you cut and solder make sure you use a couple layers of shrink tubing over it.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2013-07-29 21:31 ]

T

WOW oh Wow! Nice work Derek! You just inspired my entryway to my Hut in my backyard! I'm trying to finish it over the next 2 weeks before summer!

The color is amazing, and the carving and design is outstanding!

On 2010-10-26 12:55, Monkeyman wrote:
Installed

K

aloha Monkeyman,

your south pacific room is absolutely stunning in it's scope, design and execution.

you've heard it all before, i'm sure, but that router work is... well... mere words fail me i'm afraid.

i've been moving towards my own (humble) little grass shack for a few years and your work, amongst others,
really gave me that final swift kick up the butt to get things moving, thank you so much.

warmest regards...bob

Thank you to everyone who has expressed such kind feedback.

OUR tiki room is my sanctuary and the time I spend working on is good for my brain. WE are focused when WE in project mode and the problems of the world slip away for a few hours.

The best part of the process is to see how much others enjoy it. Most weekends the room is full of neighborhood kids who watch Spongebob on the TV while they eat breakfast at the bar.

We put out platters of chips and pretzels and they snack and drink sodas between playing basketball out back and swimming in the pool.

Sanctuary...

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2013-07-29 21:35 ]

Sounds like a slice of Heaven, Derek. And it sounds like you've been able to sit back and (ok, maybe not 'sit back' with a neighborhood of kids in your house) appreciate those times. That's what we're all looking for isn't it? I'm sure your kids realize they have a fun and talented Dad and they'll always remember growing up in the coolest house around. Where else would you want to watch Sponge Bob?

Hope you have a great week,
John

Fabulous...and I love how you incorporated the glass block, really links to the retro feel of those green chairs...love them...and the entry way carving is over the top!!!

nice attention to detail...love the look

Rockin space bruddah

Hi Derek, looking at your place always makes me smile a big smile. Been needing more of those lately so the latest post was well timed.
What an inspiration your place is. (hmmm, say that with a Yoda voice and it sounds even better). :)

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
Aloha, my Tiki friend,
John

M

updates
We have a roofline over the bar and some custom lighting and carving up top.

Enjoy

That's a freekinnnnnn great room...

This is AMAZING! The router work really reminds me of the Tiki Room at Disneyland, which I love. What type of paint did you use to color the trim? And did you stain directly over it. Again, it looks really great.

We are continuing to work on the South Pacific Room in anticipation of our guests on Sept 15th.

The Television ... (Yes I know that TV's are taboo in tiki) was a sore thumb in the tiki room. Too shiny and new looking for all of its rustic earthtoned counterparts.
This is what it looked like before.

We decided it was time to give the TV a little tiki vibe of its own so we went to Home Depot and purchased some very thin Poplar. 1/4" thick to be exact.
we wanted the wood to look aged so we busted out the stain and craft paints and did my best to age it.

This is the end result.

The Musket Hole is to allow the Remote Signal to reach the receptor on the front of the TV.

Closeup.

This is what the TV area looks like now.

Thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2013-07-29 21:32 ]

Great idea framing the TV! The Rum stamp on it is a nice touch.. Rum. Very Nice!

that looks great!

Awesome
Looks great

Something awesome arrived yesterday from the courier.

Its time to include some of Tiki Skip's Lamp Greatness in the South Pacific Room.

WE are working on perfect placement and electrical tomorrow.

Thanks SKIP !!

Here it is installed under the left side of the bar hut

Some new flotsam added.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-28 11:42 ]

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2013-07-29 21:28 ]

You got skill Derek. So many great ideas in this Tiki room. Just like everyone has been saying your craftsmanship is remarkable. So mant great details. One of my favorit builds on TC by far. :D

Wow Derek...nice job on the TV...you are so artistic...looks fabulous!!! So glad I got to experience your beautiful home on the last crawl...have fun on your upcoming event.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 217 replies