Tiki Central / California Events

Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

ML

LUSH GOES LATIN
featuring
Marty Lush & His Latin Livers

ONE NIGHT ONLY ! !

An evening of savage and sensuous bongos, greasy Latin rhythms and booze-soaked humour.

Saturday, May 1st (uno de Mayo)
Doors open at 8pm
At The Tonga Hut Tiki Bar (North Hollywood, CA)

Join almost famed boozer and lounge lizard Marty Lush (Tikiyaki Orchestra) as he croons and tickles the ivories with a Latin beat in the intimate setting of the famous Tonga Hut Tiki Bar.

LUSH LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE.....OR MAY NEVER HAVE WANTED TO

Marty is backed by a 6-piece salsa band of incredibly talented musicians (the Latin Livers) as they perform hits from his classic records “Lush Goes Latin”, “Lush 'N Percussion” and “Lush From Ipanema.”

Tickets only $8
Get your tickets now at Its Marty Lush.com
Hurry space is extremely limited

[ Edited by: Marty Lush 2010-04-04 19:03 ]

ML

On hand for your Tijuana tippling is the very talented HipHipaHula, pouring Latin-themed exotic cocktail creations as well as her own Tiki drink creations that are garnering her fame across the country!

You can also catch Hiphipahula every sunday from 4-8pm at the Tonga Hut for Tiki Happy Hour

Que Bueno! Congrats, Senor Lush. Helluva lineup you got there, too. Best of luck on this new endeavor- I'm sure it will be a huge success. Feliz Uno de Mayo! Someone please tape this!!!
Cheers~
Andy

JB

¡Marty es un buen cantante y un mejor bebedor! ¡Debemos beber a su nombre!

¡MATALO!

¡Que Lastima!

TM

Sounds fabulous! I am going to try by best to be there!

¡Ay Carumba!

R

¡Cuidado con EL CHACAL DE LA TROMPETA!

¡FUERA! ¡FUERA!

:lol:

EDIT: for link fixin!

[ Edited by: ravenne 2010-04-03 19:01 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2010 3:48 PM

Señor Calamar is back at the Tonga Hut! Looking forward to the show, Lushy!

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-04-03 15:48 ]

JB

¡Las películas de Magick estarán allí con la rueda de las cámaras!

Ay ya ya...wish I could be there...salsa till your sombrero drops!!!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2010 9:59 AM

Latin rhythms in the Tonga Hut ?? !!

Tiki or not Tiki ?? :lol:

This might be the missing link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWULusKoIw

(I was going to post the Annette version but this one was way cooler)

More proof positive that the Tonga Hut is the epicenter of the Tiki Revival movement when it comes to art, music, mixology, and historic Tiki street cred.

The Tonga Hut is the Hong Kong Cafe to DTBC's Madame Wong's (for anyone who gets that Punk Rock reference). :D

And... If this is the direction that the Revival is going, then I'm on board the train....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-sWTPYExh0

(Thanks Lucas Vigor for the link)

And here's another piece of the Tiki/Latin puzzle cross-over that I just discovered. That main guy on the vibes (Julius Wechter ?), I think he played with Martin Denny (replacing Arthur Lyman !!)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-04 11:20 ]

TM

Yep, he is the guy who replaced Arthur Lyman.

You gotta wonder how great Marty's new project is going to be! Marty is a great musician, with impeccable taste in music...and he has got SQUID!!!!!, (who is one of the best drummers around). This should be a very exciting thing!

But, they should have hired this guy on bass, (talentless hack that he is!)

N

Lush rocks!!

Damn, I wish I lived closer!!

I am on pins & needles waiting for all the sleazy pencil mustaches that will be there :wink:

S
squid posted on Mon, Apr 5, 2010 7:44 PM

On 2010-04-04 12:23, lucas vigor wrote:
Yep, he is the guy who replaced Arthur Lyman.

***Then Wechter went on to form The Baja Marimba Band. Latin connection discussion closed!

You gotta wonder how great Marty's new project is going to be! Marty is a great musician, with impeccable taste in music...and he has got SQUID!!!!!

** *Actually Lush has CRABS.

But, they should have hired this guy on bass, (talentless hack that he is!)

***Far too edumacated for a Lush gig. He even uses one of them fancy fiddle saws!

***See ya there Lucas :)

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Apr 5, 2010 8:36 PM

You know I really think this is the next logical step in the Tiki Revival. As Polynesian-inspired Exotica was winding down by the mid-60's, the "south of the border" craze was picking up steam with Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass and the Baja Marimba Band. Even Martin Denny got into the act with "Latin Village" and "Spanish Village" and Arthur Lyman released "Aloha Amigo".

I think Marty Lush is really on to something here !!

Every new trend needs a buzzword. How about "Mexi-Tiki" ? Can Tiki Fiesta 2011 be far behind ?

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-07 18:29 ]

S
squid posted on Mon, Apr 5, 2010 10:54 PM

On 2010-04-05 20:36, JOHN-O wrote:
You know I really think this is the next logical step in the Tiki Revival.

**That would be merely retracing old steps. Lush is a true visionary and certainly no copycat. The next logical step is actually Kosher Hapa Haole. Be on the lookout for Marty's upcoming release (on LP and 8-Track) "Aloha Oy Vey!" featuring Kona Knishes, Gifelte Wahine, Mazeltov Maui and that old favorite * You Want I Should Give You a Lei?

I think Marty Lush is really on to something here !!

***John-O, buddy, pal....you got it all wrong. Marty Lush is ON something.

J

You might be right there Mr. Squid. I hate to see the scene devolve in the wrong way. Remember that classic scene in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre":"Tikis ?? We ain't got no Tikis. We don't need no Tikis. I don't have to show you any stinkin' Tikis !!"

(Or something like that)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

BUT on the other hand, wasn't Herb Alpert just a nice Jewish boy from L.A.'s Fairfax district ??

I don't think anyone in the TJB was Latino.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-07 18:30 ]

JB

H

:lol:

and yes Lush is on something...........I can attest for that first hand :lol:

TH

Aloha Tiki Central!
We are pleased to present Marty Lush and his Latin Livers!

Saturday May 1st 2010 Doors open at 8:00PM for theshow

Tickets are $8.00 per person and are available here: http://itsmartylush.com/
seating is very limited so don't delay.

On hand as well will be Tonga Hut Tiki Cocktail Mixologist "Hiphipahula" who as we speak is whipping up her "South of the Border" Original cocktail menu for this event but no worries folks, The RUM flows!

We look forward to seeing you all here Saturday, May 1st Marty Lush & his Latin Livers!

The Tonga Hut since 1958
12808 Victory Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
Between Coldwater Canyon Avenue and Goodland Avenue
*Open daily 4pm-2am 7days a week including May 1st

[ Edited by: tonga hut 2010-04-06 17:44 ]

ML

pencil thin mustache in the house

R

all set to go!
see you kids then!
:D

ML

OH MY GOD that is friggin' hilarious!!!!

TM

On 2010-04-06 19:12, Marty Lush wrote:

pencil thin mustache in the house

Is that really you, Marty?

S
squid posted on Tue, Apr 6, 2010 11:28 PM

R

I thought the Boarder Crossing signs had the little girl holding a Teddy Bear?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 7, 2010 11:51 AM

Sleazy Pencil Stache

J

I know everyone's treating this like a big joke but personally I'm looking forward to seeing a live performance of how Exotica evolved (devolved?) in the latter part of the 1960's.

Even though the "Latin" music of that time was as inauthentic as Poly-Pop Exotica, it did make for some ultra-cool mid-century sounds. Most people just associate that time frame with hippie music so this is a refreshing change.

Hopefully this isn't a one off.

R

It isn't a true tonga hut event unless you have photoshops of ridiculousness...
I truly miss those old days, and am glad to see that we are having more of it! :wink:

So don't be put off by the flyers JOHN-O, we are just uber excited! :D

JB

On 2010-04-07 12:21, JOHN-O wrote:
I know everyone's treating this like a big joke but personally I'm looking forward to seeing a live performance of how Exotica evolved (devolved?) in the latter part of the 1960's.

Even though the "Latin" music of that time was as inauthentic as Poly-Pop Exotica, it did make for some ultra-cool mid-century sounds. Most people just associate that time frame with hippie music so this is a refreshing change.

This is no joke...this is the future!

On 2010-04-07 12:21, JOHN-O wrote:

Aloha John,
No, please have no misunderstandings, making Photoshop posters that are funny are just part of an old tradition that stems back to the old Tonga Hut Thread Tiki "Winter Wonderland" Days a couple years ago. It was a very popular thread and making light was a way to up enthusiasm or to "Bump" the post. Maybe you had to be there?
Marty, Squid and all the guys are very accomplished musicians indeed and we are
very excited to partake in a great evening as this.
As far as Latin Music and Exotica? Well
I'll leave that to the experts. Hope to
see you for the event it's going to be an event not to miss. :)

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Apr 7, 2010 6:57 PM

No no, I didn't want to put a damper on things or spoil any of the fun. It's just very interesting to me how the popular "Latin" sound of the mid-60's had roots in earlier Exotica music.

There IS a Tiki connection here !! :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-07 19:29 ]

T

On 2010-04-07 11:51, GROG wrote:

OK, THIS is frikken funny !

S
squid posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2010 12:38 AM

On 2010-04-07 18:57, JOHN-O wrote:
No no, I didn't want to put a damper on things or spoil any of the fun. It's just very interesting to me how the popular "Latin" sound of the mid-60's had roots in earlier Exotica music.

There IS a Tiki connection here !! :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-07 19:29 ]

Yeah, yeah... leave the tikilectual crap for them egghead threads. We're doin' this show to offend and annoy as many people as possible (approximately 50 per Los Angeles Fire Code)... but mostly to get their 8 bucks! Just think of it: 400 bucks divided by 7 guys, minus Lush's bar tab........ We're freakin' rich!!!!!

And by the way...thanks for YOUR 8 bucks JOHN-O! Lush already squandered it on a new pair of lime green spandex tights.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2010 1:03 AM

welcome to Tiki Central,
Now give us your Money.
:roll:

Jeff(btd)

spoken like a true cheapskate....

JB

¿Dónde está el amor, BTD?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies