Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

Thanks Tom yes, I did mean Cachaça. I'm blaming it on the damn auto correction on my
iPhone I didn't even notice it was wrong. I will correct my post. In the meantime, I guess I'm kind of bugged that my menu clearly said "Cachaça" and I was critiqued on serving up a bunch of Tequila drinks as though I was in Margaritaville. There was a time I to did not know what Cachaca was however, I was not critiquing ones cocktails either.

I am seriously heartbroken that I couldn't make it there that evening. It looks like it was a spectacular performance & night.

Congratulations, Marty! From what I hear, you were in top form and put on a superb show.

Sorry - it became a double-post. Perhaps even the TC reply button wanted to emphasize what a great show it was?!

[ Edited by: Capt. R.H. Falernum 2010-05-03 23:13 ]

You So-Cal folks do it up right!!! Looks like an awesome time was had by all. Beautiful cocktails Kelly. And Marty...you are looking so Rico Suave in that outfit. I am sorry I missed this one...I do hope an encore can happen...maybe a CD? Would love to hear "Girl from Emphysema"...LOL

Excellent documentation, Tom! I like the way your flash just concentrates on the center of the image and leaves the edges dark, that saves it from destroying the mood.

I wish I could have seen that band, Martin Denny started out as Latin musician after all, but I had three nights of boozing with the Bum (at La Cana, Vic's and the Ti twice) behind me, which dragged out my voice-cold to become a full blown one, so I was out.

The two most popular tropical cocktails in Germany have been the Cuban Mojito, (which we all know is made with white rum, sugar, soda, lime and LOTS of muddled mint), and its counterpart, the Brazilian Caipirinha, which is made from Cachassa (spelled for pronunciation), and uses sugar and LOTS of muddled limes. Very yummy. I was on a bender once at a wrap party and made it to 14 Caipies. It is much tougher to muddle limes than mint, so mixologists use sturdy glasses, and wooden muddlers such as this one:

So Cachassa was the perfect choice for a Latin evening, but it is not surprising that non-Europeans don't know it and would think it would be Tequila -another good choice for a Latin party. :)

Wow thank you guys again for the wonderful comments. It really was a special evening. Kelly's drinks were sublime. I personally think that she is pouring some of the finest tasting original exotics in LA.

Thanks John O for the glowing review!!!! Your check is in the mail :wink:
big wet sloppy thanks to Tonga Tom fornthose great pix!!!!

Oh my god!!! I have to say it before anyone else does--- does that outfit make me
look fat? Seriously, I look like I'm busting out all over!!

On 2010-05-04 10:27, Marty Lush wrote:
Oh my god!!! I have to say it before anyone else does--- does that outfit make me

Nah it only appears a little um... SNUG! in these pictures because the Tonga Hut gets tiny when it fills up with people.

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 4, 2010 10:38 AM

No, it not make you LOOK fat, it just shows that you ARE fat.

No Marty, you didn't look fat the shirt came a bit un-tucked and gave a look of spill over. Your costume was fantastic! You must do it again!

On 2010-05-04 07:45, bigbrotiki wrote:
Excellent documentation, Tom! I like the way your flash just concentrates on the center of the image and leaves the edges dark, that saves it from destroying the mood.

I wish I could have seen that band, Martin Denny started out as Latin musician after all, but I had three nights of boozing with the Bum (at La Cana, Vic's and the Ti twice) behind me, which dragged out my voice-cold to become a full blown one, so I was out.

The two most popular tropical cocktails in Germany have been the Cuban Mojito, (which we all know is made with white rum, sugar, soda, lime and LOTS of muddled mint), and its counterpart, the Brazilian Caipirinha, which is made from Cachassa (spelled for pronunciation), and uses sugar and LOTS of muddled limes. Very yummy. I was on a bender once at a wrap party and made it to 14 Caipies. It is much tougher to muddle limes than mint, so mixologists use sturdy glasses, and wooden muddlers such as this one:

So Cachassa was the perfect choice for a Latin evening, but it is not surprising that non-Europeans don't know it and would think it would be Tequila -another good choice for a Latin party. :)

Thanks Sven for your follow up, perfect, thank you. Yes, a wooden muddler and a flash blender goes a long way. :)

ML

BigBro, I never knew that Denny started in a Latin band! Wow that's cool. Latin is definitely borrowed from in many exotica arrangements for sure. Actually if you listen to Bahia by Arthur Lyman, they break into a cha cha cha pattern and someonebyells "vaya". Very Latin influenced indeed.

Once the banana came out of your pants, your toreador ensemble fit just fine, Marty. Oh yeah, with that comment now I've made all the non-attendees envious! It WAS quite a show!

If anything made anyone fat, it was the gigantic box of candy I brought Grog as trade for holding a primo view seat for me. Thank you, Grog!

And, thank you, Marty, for putting on such a great night of music and just plain FUN. It really did feel like we'd all stepped back in time and were part of some intimate nightclub show circa 1962. The whole evening was superb, from Kelly's original drinks to Eric's table decorations to, of course, the amazing musicianship. More, por favor!

T

On 2010-05-04 13:34, Marty Lush wrote:
BigBro, I never knew that Denny started in a Latin band! Wow that's cool. Latin is definitely borrowed from in many exotica arrangements for sure. Actually if you listen to Bahia by Arthur Lyman, they break into a cha cha cha pattern and someonebyells "vaya". Very Latin influenced indeed.

Lots of latin going on it exotica....guiro, bongos, congas, timbales...that's just percussion instruments alone, then there is cha cha, bossa, and other rhythms, as well as the tunes they covered.

Yes, Exotica owes alot to Latin music.

On 2010-05-04 15:08, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2010-05-04 13:34, Marty Lush wrote:

Lots of latin going on it exotica....guiro, bongos, congas, timbales...that's just percussion instruments alone, then there is cha cha, bossa, and other rhythms, as well as the tunes they covered.

Yes, Exotica owes alot to Latin music.

No doubt, fellas. It's hard to find a cut from an Exotica LP without the above mentioned Latin instruments, not to mention some claves, shakers, blocks- even the Brazillian cuica pops up every once in a while. The list goes on & the Latin influence is huge! Happy to hear its influence in present day music on this "scene."

Oh, congrats again Marty & the Livers! Looked like a superb night.

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 7, 2010 6:46 PM

Whoa, Mr Hollywood!
You better start working out cause you are headin for the big stage!
And the big stage, like TV, makes you look even "bigger"

T

On 2010-05-04 14:28, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:

If anything made anyone fat, it was the gigantic box of candy I brought Grog as trade for holding a primo view seat for me. Thank you, Grog!

Yeah, we polished off one box of that delicious Disneyland chocolate before we left that night... thank you Grog indeed... and Kari, too!

But do you hear the din of the chorus clamoring for another performance, Marty Lush? Do ya? Huh?

Take this show on the road! Ok maybe Socal or NorCal but you folks gotta hear them!

Wow!! Thank you all again for the enthusiasm! I really didn't expect the show to go over so well. That's basically why I only planned it as a one-off thing. But who knows, if the opportunity presents itself and all the musicians' schedules are free, it may happen. It really was a lot of fun and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy thy everyone liked it so
much!

Cheers,
Marty

That was one hell of a show!!! Sorry for the late response but we just got back from our visit to CA and are playing catch up. This show was absolutely the highlight of our little trip (Although the Dougles Snuggles Party was a pretty close second) and we consider ourselves damn lucky to have been able to have been a part of it!
Here are some more pictures that really do seem to sum up the absolute feeling of joy and just plain FUN the whole thing was.

Viva Marty Lush and his Latin Livers!!!

TT

Great pics Mark!

I finally got some pictures and a short video of the evening up at itsmartylush.com

enjoy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies