Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

J

On 2010-04-08 00:38, squid wrote:

And by the way...thanks for YOUR 8 bucks JOHN-O! Lush already squandered it on a new pair of lime green spandex tights.

Hey I paid $16 !!

Don't tell me you guys are already dipping into the ticket sales and have lost track of the accounting. :(

Well I like green spandex.

T
TNT posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2010 3:00 PM

Just got our tix.

ML

John-O,
in all seriousness (which I am rarely), you are dead on it. Those "exotic rhythms" are in fact based on Afro-Cuban and traditional African beats and instruments. In fact our national anthem "Quiet Village"(the Denny version) uses guiro as the main percussion instrument...very latin indeed. In the 50's when most of this stuff was coming into its own, Latin music was big as well--ala Tito Puente, Perez Prado, Cugat, and yes, Desi Arnaz. Latin music was considered tropical sounds from far away lands too.

On 2010-04-08 10:28, Joe Banks wrote:
¿Dónde está el amor, BTD?

Mis amor es en mi pantalones

So playing that horn is how he is able to hit the high notes!!!

Rav...LOL Missed that Kitty Lipstick...Excellent :)

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2010-04-09 09:29 ]

BB

This sounds fun, I might actually grace this show with my presence. :lol:

No promises though.

J

Good job, Boris. That specific satire was the bulls-eye. I have a feeling of what's coming next, it will truly be horrifying.

Also Marty Lush, I assumed the Latin Livers would be a Post-Exotica Latin sound but it sounds like you're going the other way with Pre-Exotica. Either way, I look forward to the performance.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-10 00:07 ]

On 2010-04-08 20:47, Marty Lush wrote:
John-O,
in all seriousness (which I am rarely), you are dead on it. Those "exotic rhythms" are in fact based on Afro-Cuban and traditional African beats and instruments. In fact our national anthem "Quiet Village"(the Denny version) uses guiro as the main percussion instrument...very latin indeed. In the 50's when most of this stuff was coming into its own, Latin music was big as well--ala Tito Puente, Perez Prado, Cugat, and yes, Desi Arnaz. Latin music was considered tropical sounds from far away lands too.

The güiro ("gwee-roh" or "wee-roh"[1]) is a Cuban percussion instrument consisting of an open-ended, hollow gourd with parallel notches cut in one side. It is played by rubbing a wooden stick ("pua") along the notches to produce a ratchet-like sound. The güiro is commonly used in Latin-American music, and plays a key role in the typical cumbia rhythm section. The güiro is also known as calabazo, guayo, ralladera, or rascador. In Brazil it is commonly known as reco-reco.

I thought Lush was slurring his words so I had to look it up...

On 2010-04-08 20:47, Marty Lush wrote:
John-O,

Is this some kind of "coming out of the closet" event, Lush?

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2010-04-11 02:40 ]

J

Be careful what you're implying there bananabobs. Yeah I know the imagery might not vibe the most "manly" but I'll wager that Desi Arnez got way more tail than Martin Denny ever did.

Also dude, Tiki is a predominately male sub-culture, where its participants like to lounge around in loud garish flowery shirts, imbibe in "girly" drinks, and listen to "elevator" music.

What is it they say about "glass houses" ??

:D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-11 08:01 ]

Come to Lush goes Latin! (insert bad Photoshop here) look for the music forum people :)

May 1st Doors open at 8pm

Tonga Hut opens at 4pm join us for some
Tiki Cocktail Specials!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 11, 2010 6:46 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-04-11 18:48 ]

K
kirby posted on Sun, Apr 11, 2010 7:10 PM

! will never eat shaving cream again!!

J

Colonel Walter Kurtz - "The horror, the horror" (Apocalypse Now, 1979)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-11 20:41 ]

On 2010-04-11 19:10, kirby wrote:
! will never eat shaving cream again!!

me either, oh wait, why would you eat shaving creme?
hmmmmm?

never mind, don't answer that.

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-04-11 07:40, JOHN-O wrote:

...Tiki is a predominately male sub-culture,

where its participants like to lounge around in loud garish flowery shirts,

STRIKE ONE

imbibe in "girly" drinks,

STRIKE TWO

and listen to "elevator" music.

STRIKE THREE, YOUR OTTA HERE!

Grog,
I should have had you make posters for he show!!!!! You showed just enough of my moobs to be sexy. Of course that photo was taken shortly before my horrible shaving accident. Word to all: don't drink and shave.

On 2010-04-11 18:46, GROG wrote:

I am so re-using this poster!! As classic as Ruzic & Liberace!
Nice work Grog!

LUSH GOES LATIN
featuring
Marty Lush & His Latin Livers

ONE NIGHT ONLY ! !

An evening of savage and sensuous bongos, greasy Latin rhythms and booze-soaked humour.

Saturday, May 1st (uno de Mayo)
Doors open at 8pm
At The Tonga Hut Tiki Bar (North Hollywood, CA)

Join almost famed boozer and lounge lizard Marty Lush (Tikiyaki Orchestra) as he croons and tickles the ivories with a Latin beat in the intimate setting of the famous Tonga Hut Tiki Bar.

LUSH LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE.....OR MAY NEVER HAVE WANTED TO

Marty is backed by a 6-piece salsa band of incredibly talented musicians (the Latin Livers) as they perform hits from his classic records “Lush Goes Latin”, “Lush 'N Percussion” and “Lush From Ipanema.”

Tickets only $8
Get your tickets now at Its Marty Lush.com
Hurry space is extremely limited

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-04-14 09:41 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 9:39 AM

On 2010-04-13 09:48, Marty Lush wrote:
Of course that photo was taken shortly before my horrible shaving accident. Word to all: don't drink and shave.

Lushy, GROG hope you weren't "manscaping" when you had your shaving accident.

Glad you like that poster, Kelly.

We are so going to try to make it out for Lush and his lush-ious whipped cream latin delights! Will Squid and the rest of the guys be wearing "white" as well?

I should change the show to "Marty Lush & the Manscapers"

We are there, you luscious baby!

ahhhhhhhh my eyes!!!!!!!!!!

T

The magic of Grog knows no bounds. See you all at the show!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 16, 2010 8:47 AM

Thanks Kelly, Lushy and Tobor.

That's a good one Cheeky 1/2. Lushy's got a real feminine body. Gonna have to get that boy into the gym.

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-04-16 08:48 ]

Maybe I like my Lush with a Fem body!
Grog don't be trying to change him on me!

TM

El Bumpo mas grande!

T

Hey, watch what you say about Marty Lush !

Ok, El Bumpo mas grande de este threado es por "el jefe", Marty Lush con la UNA mas grande y corazon del Tigre!

(I think it will be fun if we continue to speak in fake spanish regarding this event!)

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2010-04-19 06:02 ]

Que Lastima!

Yo Creo que si, Marty espanol es malisimo!

No hables en spanol por favor, mis orejas!

R

¿me extraña que puedes oír palabras?

jejejeje! :lol:

now das some spanishforumlolspeak right der. :D

Hiphipahula has finished my "South of the Border" Cocktail Menu for the "Lush goes Latin" show May 1st.
We are mixing up a few tasty standards then we are breaking out the Original Hip Cocktails! Named by none other than that Latin Lover himself, Marty Lush! They are  muy delicioso, You won't want to miss out folks it's going to be a Fiesta Grande!

More info to come! Salud!!!

Quantos por las nachas, Don Martin?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 20, 2010 3:22 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-04-20 15:45 ]

D
Danno posted on Tue, Apr 20, 2010 5:29 PM

Whoa . . . that is too funny!!

I think grog has captured the real me! Evr since I got my Blowflex I've been looking damn good in Mayan garb if I do say so myself. I just have to remeber to stay greased up all the time -- it puts the lotion on it's skin.

[ Edited by: Marty Lush 2010-04-21 09:56 ]

.....or it gets the HOSE!

LMAO !!! Exactly and I don't want the hose again.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 21, 2010 3:47 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-04-21 15:56 ]

Don't lie about the lotion :wink:
It's really manteca :x

On 2010-04-21 20:41, cheeky half wrote:

Wow!! lush really is a swingin guy.
:o

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-04-21 20:44 ]

R

Now that you enjoyed that epilpsy-soaked gif.

Don't forget to buy yer tix, mang!

:D

I tasted some of the new Menu Hiphipahula
is working on last night at the Rumpus Room.
All I have to say is OOOOOOOOOOOOH MMMMMMYYYYYY!!!

They are uber tasty & we are gonna be smashed!

The party needs to begin now!

"Wow!! lush really is a swingin guy. "

You have no idea...

this broad was so drunk she actually liked me.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 23, 2010 1:42 AM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies