Tiki Central / California Events

Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 26, 2010 11:10 AM

Coming up THIS SATURDAY!!!

Tickets only $8
Get your tickets now at Its Marty Lush.com

that boy's got some loooong sexy legs there!

TT

Get your fill of Marty Lush this Saturday!

...with MARTY LUSH & HIS LATIN LIVERS

Una sola noche!!!

Tickets only $8
Get your tickets now at Its Marty Lush.com
Hurry space is extremely limited

TM

On 2010-04-23 01:42, GROG wrote:

aaaaahhhhh! Lani Hall! Numero uno chulada de mujeres! El Marty Lush tiene mucho suerte!!!!!!

¡Véale en la choza de Tonga el sábado!

Get your tickets NOW friends! The Hut is filling up quickly now. Don't be on the late freight to nowheresville people!
Latin " South of the Border" Original HipHiPaHulA cocktail specials pouring all night long!

I swear, these are some of the most hysterical photoshopped things I've ever seen. Tears running down my face. I'm not kidding. Thanks for making my morning, Tiki amigos.

Quien es mas macho? Lloyd Bridges o Marty Lush? Si! Es Marty Lush!

On 2010-04-11 02:13, bananabobs wrote:

On 2010-04-08 20:47, Marty Lush wrote:
John-O,

The güiro ("gwee-roh" or "wee-roh"[1]) is a Cuban percussion instrument consisting of an open-ended, hollow gourd with parallel notches cut in one side. It is played by rubbing a wooden stick ("pua") along the notches to produce a ratchet-like sound. The güiro is commonly used in Latin-American music, and plays a key role in the typical cumbia rhythm section. The güiro is also known as calabazo, guayo, ralladera, or rascador. In Brazil it is commonly known as reco-reco.

Note the design. This instrument also has other uses, but too vile to go into on this thread. I'm sure, however, Senor Lush will show us what they are.

Okay, I just bought my ticket. I'm even driving back early from Disneyland just for this show. And yes, Grog, I'll bring you a piece of fudge from the Candy Palace.

Muchas Alohas para Todos,

Kari

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 27, 2010 1:27 PM

On 2010-04-27 12:40, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
And yes, Grog, I'll bring you a piece of fudge from the Candy Palace.

Kari

OH!!!!!! GROG love you so much!!

not even gonna go there.....

R

I fear what Kinny will say next, but... what flavor fudge does Grog want?
And I love you, too. Save me a seat next to you at the Tonga Hut.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 27, 2010 2:24 PM

Kari, check GROG' membership profile and look at GROG' interests and the answer will be obvious.

Ravenne, GROG not back-door man. When GROG play golf, GROG not play the back nine. When GROG go spelunking, GROG rather explore the gold mine rather the coal mine.

Viva Marty Lush!

$8 tickets at Its Marty Lush.com
Seating is limited, so hurry.

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-04-27 14:46 ]

wow fudge packers and pussy lickers.
this thread has gone to the basement.
:o

Jeff(btd)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 27, 2010 3:14 PM

Yes, it was a sweet gesture by GROG' :D good friend Kari :), twisted in a sickeningly perverted way by GROG' :D evil nemesis, RUZIC :evil: and his evil cohort Ravenne. :x

Always a pleasure having you come by, BTD. :roll:

(had to use your "usual" smiley--the rolling eyes smiley)

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate.

[ Edited by: grog 2010-04-28 15:27 ]

Hey! I was keeping it totally clean! It's everyone else that went to Filthytown! What the hell, people! Save that for Oasis! Okay, maybe Caliente....

Grog -- Chocolate. Done. Save Tangaroa-ru a seat next to you and you will be fed chocolate during the whole concert. It's like some kind of "Lushious" dream. Har har har arrrrrr....

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 27, 2010 3:25 PM

Pretty lady sitting next to GROG feeding GROG sweet chocolate fudge while listening to Marty Lush crooning Latin tunes and drinking delicious drinks made by Kelly. It sound like this turning out to be the best concert EVER!

I guess this means I better doll up.

Pack your insulin, Grog. I don't do chocolate in a wimpy way.

Looking forward to seeing you, and the whole crowded Hut full of Lushaholics.

T

Quick question: Is my Paypal receipt my ticket to this fine event?

Yes, your PayPal reciept is your entry ticket. Print a copy of it and bring it with you. I am going to send out an email to everyone in a day or two to remind them.

And were almost sold out. Keep in mind that Tonga Hut is a small place, so there aren't a lot if tix. There aren't many left.

Marty

T

Thanks for the info, Marty. Looking forward to seeing you Sabado.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 1:22 PM

it's spelled NEMESIS.....
:)

It was great to chat with so many folks at Trader Vic's last night that bought tickets to the show! I'm really looking forward to hearing the Exotics sounds of the Latin Livers and visiting with everyone. BUY YOUR TICKET NOW :) You want to be assured a seat.
Come experience to tastes of HipHips all Original
"South of the Border Menu"

Thank You Eric October for the table tents! They look tiki fabulous!

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Apr 30, 2010 4:07 PM

in...ya know like on, along with the rest of the NorCal Tiki Underground...see ya'll there

S
squid posted on Fri, Apr 30, 2010 5:30 PM

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 1, 2010 11:53 AM

Rompa una pierna esta noche, coo-coos!!!
Viva los Latin Livers!!!!!!!!
-Andy

TM

Lo Siento, Don Martin'!

I had to play a gig last night, so I was not able to make it! I hope some posts some videos!

T

Amazing show last night.
I'm guessing that most TC'ers were expecting some sort of joke lounge act a la richard cheeze....NOT !
Well, Marty was Marty, all the bad jokes you'd expect, some fun singing, and an even cheezier latin accent that came and went, but other than that...AMAZING .

These guys are all super shredding musicians...including Marty, whom, and tore it up on the piano. (who knew he had those skills ?) That guitar player was probably the fastest guitar player I think I've ever seen, sax player, awesome, percussionist, awesome...it was all good
Squid did amazingly on only a few rehearsals, and sounded right at home.

Great Show ! Ole' !!!!

Oh, one more thing...

Marty, you're fired !
:P

J

Ooops, double post deleted...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-02 10:27 ]

J

This was an AMAZING evening !!

You know I regret never have been able to experience the whole Las Vegas lounge room scene of late 1950's and early 1960's. From what I've read and seen in videos, those performances were intimate affairs where the musicians could have fun, joke around with the audience, as well as deliver a first-rate show of musical talent.

Now while the Latin Livers were not playing "Lounge Music" per se, that same sense of mid-century fun, spontaneity, and musical ability were all present last night at the Tonga Hut. Dressed in a Matador's outfit, Marty Lush was truly Tiki Revival's Dean Martin or in this case Ricky Ricardo.

I wasn't sure where they'd draw their exact inspiration from. Salsa, Jazz, Exotica, TJB-style Latin, Bossa Nova ? I heard influences from all those but (to this musical neophyte's ears) a key emphasis was Latin-based jazz. This was especially evident in all of the fantastic guitar, percussion, drum, and sax solos that were played. The sax player (sorry I forgot his name) was especially amazing and Squid did one really cool drum solo.

The spirit of irreverence was shown in Marty Lush's vocal rendition of "The Girl with Emphysema" (inspired from the "Girl from Ipanema" but according to him, it's the other way around). They also jammed through an incredible medley of 2-chord hits beginning with "Wild Thing".

They all played like they had been a band for years, but FilthyMidget told me they were only able to rehearse three times prior to the evening. I was shocked !! Even Tonga Hut owner Jeremy joined in on the action with his V-shaped guitar.

The Tonga Hut provided the perfect venue for such an intimate affair, its Tiki decor supplemented with Mexican accessories. I hope someone snapped a picture of the Moai with the sombrero.

To cap off the perfection of the evening was Hiphipalhula's amazing Tequila-based cocktails. They were all really really good. I'm not really a tequila person but if she puts those drinks into the regular rotation, I may be switching to a new alcohol.

Here's a photo I took but since Tonga Tom was on the scene, I'm sure we can look forward to full photographic documentation of the evening.

TT

HL

Marty Lush and his Latin Livers were INCREDIBLE!
They blew the roof off the Tonga Hut!!
It is unbelievable they only practiced together a few times. They played so tight it was as if they were reading each other's minds!

The music was sooooooo good and I loved Marty's sexy accent and especially his rendition of Cuban Pete.
Plus all the jamming was fantastic!
Squid killed it on the drums
and the sax , percussion, bass and guitarist were also amazing.

I hope they will play again some time!

Kelly's special drinks were delicious and beautiful!
The Taquito, an extra spicy drink inspired by a mojito was my favorite

Here are a few pics

There was even a special appearance by Tonga Hut's Coco Loco Jeremy!

Maggie could not resist the animal magnetism of the Lush
and attacked him right on the dance floor!

ML

I just wanted to take a brief sober and serious moment to thank all of you who came out last night and those who couldn't make it, but nonetheless supported the show!!  This was my first and, at least for now, my only venture out on my own.  All the kind words about the show really make me feel very special. 

Thank every one of you who posted on the show thread, thank each of you who bought tickets and thank you all for the wonderfully kind critiques of the show.  It was one of the most fun and special evenings I have ever had.  I got to be a complete goof on stage as well as pound out some fun Latin music, all with many of my closest friends.

I also want to especially thank Jeramy from Tonga Hut for allowing me to take over the place for one night.  Big mahalos go out to Kelly (Hiphipahula) for coming up with some amazing cocktails just for this show and this one night!!!!

My deepest thanks go out to the extraordinary musicians who really made the show--the Latin Livers: Barry Bedore on guitar, Justin Grinnell on bass, Bill Shreeve on saxophone, Nelson Ortiz on percussion, and of course Squid on drums.

Thanks to Eric October for the fun artwork he did for the web site and the table toppers!  Thanks to Tom and Sheriyaky for decorating the Hut with foliage!!

But most of all I want to thank all of you for making this one-time show, one for the record books!!!

Mahalo,
Marty

J
JOBU posted on Mon, May 3, 2010 8:05 AM

You Rock Marty....
Please do another one SOON

JOBU

one time show?
Noooooooo

you must play again.

Jeff(btd)

Pleeeeez do another show Marty!
All us artisrts and vendors were putting last minute touches on our booths and whatnot
and couldn't make the jaunt...
Pleeeez?
Word of mouth around BooBen's Garage Sale
attested to the awesomeness and fun time you boys brought
to the Tonga Hut..
Viva Marty Lush!
Viva El Latin Livers!

TT

Here is a pretty heavy dose of the fantastic evening we all had at Tonga Hut with Marty Lush & His Latin Livers. This, coupled with the Garage Sale at Ben's made for quite the weekend...

D
Danno posted on Mon, May 3, 2010 11:32 AM

ENCORE!! ENCORE!! Awesome show!! Want more!!

Great Snaps Tonga Tom!
You are the WeeGee of Tiki!

On 2010-05-02 10:25, JOHN-O wrote:
This was an AMAZING evening !!

To cap off the perfection of the evening was Hiphipalhula's amazing Tequila-based cocktails. They were all really really good. I'm not really a tequila person but if she puts those drinks into the regular rotation, I may be switching to a new alcohol.

Thanks for the kudos John. I just wanted to make a correction to the above. Not all drinks were Tequila, I worked very hard to produce a small menu for this event that included many Latin flavor Rums and liqueurs. The drink bases in general were Brazilian Cachaça, premium Tequila's, Premium Mexican Rum.
John was disappointed when he asked me for one of my cocktails off my regular menu, sorry about that John. In spirit of the evening I only used my "South of the Border" Menu. I'm not sure why his was a surprise we have been posting that a Latin themed menu was coming for weeks. Of course upon request we were happy to mix up a T.V. Mai Tai and a DTB '34 Zombie And a Dark and Stormy only three drinks out of the couple hundred cocktails sold. I'm very proud of the menu and it's quality and originality I believe most patrons agreed. Look for my "South of the Border" section coming to my menu soon! Thank You all for coming out and enjoying this evening with us.

P. S. " No, I did not use any Grenadine" before you think about slapping me down :lol:

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-05-03 12:37 ]

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-05-03 19:23 ]

Yes, please, yes do another show for those of us who were unable to attend. I also heard all the rave reviews around the garage sale about how fantastic the show was. I would love to see you go Latin you crazy man! Lush goes Latin! Lush goes Latin!

Aloha!
On behalf of the Tonga Hut and myself I want to thank all of you great fans of Marty Lush, the Tonga Hut and Great Cocktails for joining us for the One night only, "Lush Goes Latin" Another "First" here at the "TH"
I personally would like to thank Jeremy Fleener for giving me the opportunity I am so grateful to you Sir for this, Marty Lush, Thank You! Manuel without you I would not have finished my prep work thanks for helping me. Eric. Your menu art. table tents and center pieces were so awesome! Grog for the great posters, post bumps and support. Tonga Tom & Sherriyaki, for the luscious mint, fern & Bougainvillea not to mention all the support you give on a regular basis. Thank you all! Great Photos!
Marty do it again! It's too good not to!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-05-03 13:34 ]

T

Just thought I'd parrot all the previous comments and say it was another great night at the TH. How can you miss with Kelly's mixin' magic coupled with Muy Caliente Marty & The Livers? We had a blast so thanks to all for a wonderful time!

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, May 3, 2010 5:01 PM

On 2010-05-03 12:21, Hiphipahula wrote:

Not all drinks were Tequila, I worked very hard to produce a small menu for this event that included many Latin flavor Rums and liqueurs. The drink bases in general were Brazilian Cacasa, premium Tequila's, Premium Mexican Rum.

Cacasa ?? I don't even know what that is. I just assumed it was Tequila. If Kelly puts a drink in front of me, I just drink it. It's always good or GREAT !!

Who needs the Grog Log at the Tonga Hut? Not me. :)

TT

Cacasa ?? I don't even know what that is. I just assumed it was Tequila. If Kelly puts a drink in front of me, I just drink it. It's always good or GREAT !!

I think she meant Cachaça

It's a liquor made from fermented sugarcane. It is the most popular distilled alcoholic beverage in Brazil. It is also known as aguardente (aguardiente), pinga, caninha or other names. Cachaça is mostly produced in Brazil, where, according to 2007 figures, 1.5 billion liters (390 million gallons) are consumed annually, compared with 15 million liters (4.0 million gallons) outside the country.[1] Cachaça is, "...the product of the distillation of fermented sugarcane juice, with its alcohol strength anywhere from 38% to 80% by volume. When it is homemade it can be as strong as the distiller wants. Up to six grams per liter of sugar may be added."[2] Cachaça differs from rum in that most rum is made from molasses.[3] Use of molasses allows for the use of the byproduct of sugar production and a smaller still but has the taste affected by heating. Cachaca can be classified as a "rhum agricole" which is rum produced directly from cane juice.

Figures from 2003 indicate 1.3 billion liters of cachaça are produced each year though only 1% of this production is exported (mainly to Germany).[4] Outside Brazil, cachaça is used almost exclusively as an ingredient in tropical drinks, with the caipirinha being the most famous cocktail.

Check it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacha%C3%A7a

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies