Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

I Am Tired Of...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 392 replies

T

On 2014-02-08 12:46, VampiressRN wrote:
I always feel sad for people that are new and post Home Tiki Bars but they have no Tikis. Now you know I can't be mean so I do try to complement and encourage them to get a Tiki. So I get what you mean tikiskip.

I'm trying not to be mean myself that's why I put it here.
And don't want to name threads.
This thread just dropping with no "Hey that's cool" set me off, sorry.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10230&forum=18&start=360&365

T

On 2014-02-08 12:20, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2014-02-08 10:31, tikiskip wrote:
Fluff.
Tons and tons of non tiki BS fluff.
When ya got a guy that does a how to on Tiki central and it gets less feedback
than a non tiki vacation that's posted in a section about makin tiki.
Tc is starting to get lame.

Not saying that it needs to be 100% tiki 100% of the time.
Man keep the Bs in Bilge.

Links? I can't find the threads you are talking about....

I think I know the thread he's talking about. I won't point it out because he's trying not to offend the person, methinks.

I believe the problems stems from the whole "let's not start a new thread, let's keep any posts even loosely related to this topic in this thread."

If we can't be honest & forward with someone (I am not talking about personal attacks)
then what is the point of even having a conversation?

I am constantly amazed at those who interject malice into my comments
when I am just being straight forward, anyone who has heard me say anything in person
knows I am not that way.

It really seems to be a generational thing, We Baby Boomers don't seem bothered by it
but today's kids can't handle any form of honesty or criticism.

T

"I believe the problems stems from the whole "let's not start a new thread, let's keep any posts even loosely related to this topic in this thread."

I get the idea that it's all about ALWAYS being on top of the category and thread count
would be my best guess.

"If we can't be honest & forward with someone (I am not talking about personal attacks)
then what is the point of even having a conversation? "

People can't take it, being honest that is, but page after page of nothing to do with the category.
That kind of thing just waters down this site.

It's like that kid that runs around sayin "look at me look at me"

But Kahaka is showing how to make lights and gets the blow off?
Man I thought that stuff went on because folks were out of the loop or clique.

I try and just avoid that stuff, Sorry it's cold, I'm old, fart mold.

T

I brought up that the Boris Karloff mug wasn't tiki, but I was told it was excused because the poster was Holden from Tiki Farm and he "knew what was tiki." If that was true, Boris wouldn't be in General Tiki. But whatever. I don't make the rules. :)

T

That's not it.
That thread was fine.
And the mug was ok in my book.

On 2014-02-08 19:16, TikiTacky wrote:
I brought up that the Boris Karloff mug wasn't tiki, but I was told it was excused because the poster was Holden from Tiki Farm and he "knew what was tiki." If that was true, Boris wouldn't be in General Tiki. But whatever. I don't make the rules. :)

Well that was me that said that, so I will clarify

Holden was asking our opinion on if he should do a run of The "Trader Verne" authorized reproduction of the famous Zombie mug
which is a vintage mug & highly collectable, It was not a new design.

I myself not being a fan of "monster mugs" said so in that same thread
but the pedigree of the mug in this case was not in question, due to it's extensive history.
which is why I said Holden knows what he is talking about, (Did you take that as admonishment?)

I believe you might not have been aware of the context of the thread, but if an artist was just posting
a new monster themed mug in the General Tiki area, I would agree with you.

And by now you should be aware I am usually the first person on here to point out that something's not Tiki
as I am sometimes called the Tiki Police by a few people who don't care about such things.

Now this also goes back to my other point above that you may not be taking my criticism as I intended
but as some form of attack, which I did not intent it to be.

Do you mind if I ask you your age? TikiTacky.

On 2014-02-08 22:03, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Well that was me that said that, so I will clarify

Holden was asking our opinion on if he should do a run of The "Trader Verne" authorized reproduction of the famous Zombie mug
which is a vintage mug & highly collectable, It was not a new design.

I myself not being a fan of "monster mugs" said so in that same thread
but the pedigree of the mug in this case was not in question, due to it's extensive history.
which is why I said Holden knows what he is talking about, (Did you take that as admonishment?)

I believe you might not have been aware of the context of the thread, but if an artist was just posting
a new monster themed mug in the General Tiki area, I would agree with you.

And by now you should be aware I am usually the first person on here to point out that something's not Tiki
as I am sometimes called the Tiki Police by a few people who don't care about such things.

Now this also goes back to my other point above that you may not be taking my criticism as I intended
but as some form of attack, which I did not intent it to be.

Do you mind if I ask you your age? TikiTacky.

I don't dispute it's a neat mug, and it certainly has some cachet because of Verne's pedigree. BUT, I still don't see how it's tiki. Was it used at any Polynesian restaurants in the heyday of tiki? It certainly isn't Tiki Style. I didn't take your response as an attack, I just didn't feel like it answered my question about how it's tiki. :wink:

In answer to your question, I'm over 40.

Well the best way I would describe Verne Langdon (The creator of the Mug) is a
1960s version of "Ed"Big Daddy" Roth"(and a little Ed Wood) of the Movie & Music business, He was a big Tiki fan during the heyday of Tiki
way before many people here were born, as a musician, composer, singer, songwriter, keyboardist,
record producer, actor, makeup artist,writer & "Wrestler" (what!) he was a true Renaissance Man.
But he was best known for his movie work & Masks.

http://www.vernelangdon.com/page5a.html

EJ

Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
If we can't be honest & forward with someone (I am not talking about personal attacks)
then what is the point of even having a conversation?

With you it is not an issue of being honest and forward. We all know that by now. Being honest and forward is OK but your delivery comes across as a personal attack. You have to know this by now because of the reactions you receive. If you don't know this by now I have no idea what to tell you.

I am constantly amazed at those who interject malice into my comments
when I am just being straight forward, anyone who has heard me say anything in person
knows I am not that way.

Amazed? Really? When you call someone's art the work of a kindergartener and then hound them for several posts afterwards how do you expect them to perceive your comments. I will let you know I did not think their artwork was good by any means but your delivery of the criticism or your opinion was way off base. Everyone should be able to voice their opinion but do so in a respectful way. Being straight forward does not give you the right to be an ass. Once again it seems you have a delivery problem because I have had several people tell me you are really a nice guy in person.

It really seems to be a generational thing, We Baby Boomers don't seem bothered by it
but today's kids can't handle any form of honesty or criticism.

I am definitely not a today kid. I was brought up to give your opinion, speak your mind, hold your ground but do so at least civilly at first and then if necessary let all hell break loose. ATP you seem to take the let all hell break loose approach first. While that is definitely your right to do so it is often unnecessary to make your point.

[ Edited by: El Jefe 2014-02-08 23:32 ]

Thank you for stating exactly what I was thinking El Jefe. I've never interacted with ATP but I've watched their interaction with others. It definitely comes across as a bit on the aggressive side.

What can I say...Punk Rock!

EJ

On 2014-02-09 00:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Poseur.

I don't make personal attacks on people here, nor do I do it just because I don't like them, Jefe
unlike you.

I am guilty of direct criticism, maybe not delivered in the form you would prefer
but honest none the less, but it is you whom has attacked me personally and repetitively
for some time now, you attack my sense of humor, say it has no place here on TC
because you don't like it.

Yet not once have you offered your own opinion to counter mine, you only offer personal attacks
and that makes you a hypocrite of the highest order.

You don't like me, everyone gets that, so stop acting like a little child
and get on with your life now, you made your point, for what it is worth.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-09 06:30 ]

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:33 ]

EJ

On 2014-02-09 03:34, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I don't make personal attacks on people here, nor do I do it just because I don't like them, Jefe
unlike you.

You seem to have forgotten when you were admonished a couple of months ago for doing what you claim you do not do to Gene. Remember you apologized and then went back and deleted your posts. You were also banned recently for attacking and insulting a member. Remember?

I am guilty of direct criticism, maybe not delivered in the form you would prefer
but honest none the less, but it is you whom has attacked me personally and repetitively
for some time now, you attack my sense of humor, say it has no place here on TC
because you don't like it.

I have not attacked you but instead called your BS. I am not the only one who has questioned your humor especially when you were clogging up threads by posting comments and images that did not pertain to the post at hand.

Yet not once have you offered your own opinion to counter mine, you only offer personal attacks
and that makes you a hypocrite of the highest order.

Did you not read my post above discussing your delivery? Did you not read my posts in the Bahooka thread before it was locked? All of those posts were my own opinion countering your prior posts. You seem to have a problem of not reading previous posts before you post. Be careful when you point the hypocrite finger because when you point you always have three fingers pointing back at you.

You don't like me, everyone gets that, so stop acting like a little child
and get on with your life now, you made your point, for what it is worth.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-09 06:30 ]

I don't know if I don't like you. I have never met you in person. What I don't like is how you conduct yourself here on TC just as you probably don't like the way I conduct myself here on TC. That's OK. Wec all have our own opinions right?

[ Edited by: El Jefe 2014-02-09 11:54 ]

EJ

On 2014-02-09 07:49, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2014-02-09 00:32, El Jefe wrote:

On 2014-02-09 00:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Poseur.

Pot, meet kettle.

You are 100% correct Lucas. I should have not directed that directly at ATP. ATP I apologize.

And I will go further and say that I have been attacked by you merely for making statements that are NOT against any member of this forum. For example, when I said I was against a bar band playing modern country music at a tiki event (That bar band has no members on this forum) it was not a personal attack against anyone, but only a general criticism....and you were all over me like a cheap suit. Seems you do that a lot.

I did not attack you Lucas. Since you brought that thread up we will go there. I along with many others were simply telling you there is a place and time for everything and that thread was not the place or the time. If you have a beef with Otto or what he does go start a Lucas has a beef with Otto thread and knock yourself out. Don't you remember that shortly after my post you went into one of your shame spirals, apologized and then left for a while? Seems if you did not think you did anything wrong you would not have apologized and left.

You think ATP is the tiki police? You are more like a special reserve officer. Look in the mirror for a moment. You are accusing people of doing things that you yourself do far too often.

I'm not even sure what you are talking about here.

And you are a bit of a stalker as well. Soon as ATP posts something you don't like, you are right there. I am pointing this out because it is not the first time you are doing it to him. Don't like his posts? No one is forcing you to read them. And calling someone a "poseur" is an insult. I got news for you, bud...there are a lot of original punkers on this forum and I am one of them!

Kinda like how you are right there to post after ATP? It has only been by coincidence I promise you. I have way better things than to try and follow ATP around. I apologized above for calling ATP a poseur.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:37 ]

That damn, smiling Mad Dog Mike!
I am tired how he smiles more then me!
that guy and all that damn goodness...... :lol:

T

"You seem to have forgotten when you were admonished a couple of months ago for doing what you claim you do not do to Gene."

Ok so I have a question about the Gene thing.
When he posted people came on his thread and said "Great job guy welcome to TC" and they kept saying it.
PLUS Gene posted like 9 times a day, and it was mostly the same stuff, that hey kinda sucked.

Here is my question where were those same people for this guys thread?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45995&forum=18&start=0

His work is good, WAY better than Genes!
But then is that why the usual welcoming committee was not giving praise?
For fear that he may beat out their work?

So it's only the goof balls that some want to stand up for?
That too will water down TC, and fill it with goofs that will be
on to the next craze in a year anyway.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:32 ]

T

Yes the first mug on that post is more of a monster thing.

But the second mug, The little shrunken head mug Is on the tiki side.
And I could find others who are snubbed, good tiki artists.
It is odd to me that they don't get more play on TC.

Plus I think there are some that smell a fight and they want in.
There are the ones who want to throw gas on it, I have some of that in me, sorry.
And there are the protectors that feel and need to jump in and save the guy
even if he is a goof.
Also here are the people that just have a jones about certain people and hate whatever they do
right or wrong.
Plus tons of TC folks jumpin up and down "sayin look at me" and or selling stuff, I'm in here too.

But the ones who are getting rare to find are the ones who ADD something, a thing that is good
with no hidden agenda, I try to do this some so I'm not a total dick, and can give back to TC
A place that has given to me in many ways.

I may have been here too long, and am jaded.

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Feb 9, 2014 4:00 PM

This whole recent "discussion" is interesting to me as I've actually met and have had drinks with ATP (who I socialize with regularly), Lucas Vigor, Tikiskip, El Jefe, and Swizzle. I have no doubt that IN PERSON, you all would get along quite well. :)

Second that, Tikiskip.

There is a disparity on TC in the many areas you bring up
We definitely have a "League of Back Slappers" (or from my Punk Rock days a "Circle Jerk")looking for self validation
This recent push into political correctness on TC leaves a bad taste in my mouth also

So I too feel jaded, jaded that the history of Tiki is being replaced by new (or younger folks)
who only perceive it as a style or trend to be mashed up into what ever they like, but if you point that out,
you're some kind of Tiki Nazi?

Edit: For a Spelling Police Ticket.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-10 00:24 ]

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:32 ]

If Bobby Peru asks, maybe I will consider it.....

T

On 2014-02-09 16:00, JOHN-O wrote:
This whole recent "discussion" is interesting to me as I've actually met and have had drinks with ATP (who I socialize with regularly), Lucas Vigor, Tikiskip, El Jefe, and Swizzle. I have no doubt that IN PERSON, you all would get along quite well. :)

If any here think I dislike any of these people in the above post this is not true.
I have met only John-O and we along quite well also.

The odd thing is the people that started this rant of mine don't even
know it's here I'm sure as they are too busy going "me me me"

Have myself been trying not to get in the fray here on TC.

Who asked ya John-O, always trying to get a bunch of folks together
get em drunk & watch the fireworks for your own perverse pleasure!
Evil, Evil I say! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wanna get a drink?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 9, 2014 11:44 PM

On 2014-02-09 16:13, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
but if you point that out your some king of Tiki Nazi?

YOUR should be YOU'RE in the above sentence-----The Spelling Nazi.
(There should also be a comma after "but if you point that out", but GROG more of a Spelling Nazi than a Grammar Nazi."

Damn!
Well I was in a heated discussion, so heated in fact
I forgot all my grammer knowing......sorry Spelling Police.....

Spam, I'm tired of it . ATP make yourself useful and get rid of it.

On 2014-02-10 00:25, tikicoma wrote:
Spam, I'm tired of it . ATP make yourself useful and get rid of it.

Already reported & on the chopping block....

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:31 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 10, 2014 3:17 PM

You forgot to include a description of the video, so GROG not watch.

Hi, Ernie!

S

I only tend to look at the Beyond/Bilge section of TC maybe once a week so i've just seen what's been going on since i was last here and this thread has had quite a few interesting and very valid points made in it. I really was not going to bother posting at all as i'm so sick of the #$%@ on this forum but as Lucas has mentioned me, here's my two cents.

On 2014-02-09 12:31, lucas vigor wrote:
I just don't like seeing people ganged up on, like it looks like you and swizzle do to ATP....hey, know what? I think ATP is a bit outspoke as well! But I KNOW that I am, so I won't dare call him out on it.

Love or hate the guy, we kind of do need tiki police on this forum. You have not been here all that long, boss, but there was a time when this forum was invaded on a weekly basis by parrot heads...and if jerk-holes like me, ATP and a few others had not said anything....who knows how the forum might have ended up!

Maybe we don't need to comment on EVERYTHING....but if ATP is anything like me (I can type 6 million words per second) then most of the time the words get out before we can stop them.

ATP likes to pop off... but boss, you admit you have never met him...wait 'till you do....he really IS a nice guy. Words don't accurately portray a person.

This pertains to the line above about commenting on EVERYTHING....

On 2014-02-09 07:49, lucas vigor wrote:
Don't like his posts? No one is forcing you to read them.

When somebody does post on EVERYTHING it is a little hard to not read them Lucas. Especially when you know that more than likely the comments you will see will do nothing but rile you up as you can be pretty sure that what you will read will take away your enjoyment from somebody ELSE'S thread.

"most of the time the words get out before we can stop them"

There are plenty of people who don't think before they speak, but when you are typing words you CAN stop them coming out before you hit the enter/send button. You can go over what you've just typed, to not only check for spelling mistakes (GROG, i will proof read myself but please let me know of any errors i might have made), but also to see if you've said what you want and you are going to get your point across with coming of looking like a jerk.

Guess what? I'm outspoken myself, and i'm sure people have seen that from my posts and also most likely made up their minds as to what sort of person i am and how they feel towards me because of my posts, but i also do hold back and do not comment on EVERYTHING.

There is no 'tone' in text. There is no sarcasm font (although there should be). And that's what you and ATP just don't get. No matter how nice the two of you might be in person or how, when you are writing you do so with a smile on your face/s, El Jefe, myself, and everybody else who frequents this forum can only go by what we READ. And unfortunately people will and do make judgement calls when that is all we have to go by. Judging a book by it's cover so to speak.

I'm not going to start another flame war with you Lucas and my feelings towards you (me holding back), but i must say i find you calling El Jefe 'boss', twice, in your comment a little patronising.

Tikiskip. I'm a little confused by your various comments as i'm not sure as to whether they are just observations or you are pointing fingers and without peoples names being mentioned it's very hard to know who you are talking about and/or in what thread. (Please note that is not an attack on you, just my misunderstanding.)
Your link to Tipsy Yeti's thread is one example. The quality of his work is truly outstanding, and whilst the shrunken head does fall into the boundaries of tiki, his very first post was of a Cyclops. Nothing tiki about that at all what so ever and nobody said anything. Gene's work was very average but it looked a hell of a lot more tiki to me than a one-eyed mythical monster.

I'm not sure what the non-tiki vaction reference was but i love Kahaka's work but personally don't feel the need to say "that's cool" everytime he posts. This is exactly where a Facebook style 'like' button would be great (i don't think the one we have works as well as i, and i'm sure others, think it should). Without sounding like i am tooting my own horn here and whether or not i fall into your group of "look at me, look at me", i recently updated my thread to my work and have had over around 900 views over the last 10 days and only two comments. Both from people who do comment each time i post. That is quite disheartning to say the least and certainly doesn't encourage people to keep posting. To me this goes to show that there are definite cliques in this forum and that a 'like' button that suited this forum would be great. I would click on it every time Kahaka, and many other artists posted. I could show my support with just a click of the mouse and not having to sign in and type (not that that is hard to do but one single finger movement is much simpler).

John-O, i'm sure you are right, IF, we had all met before we had read anything posted.

I'm sure there are many other points i could respond to that i might have missed without spending hours here reading things over and over, but i think i have got my point across to the main things that stood out to me.

P.S. ATP, i have only mentioned your name as you know full well that this discussion involves you and i had to use it to keep things in context. I have not mentioned it to attack , or start an arguement with you.

P.P.S. Sorry to hear about your health issues Marlene. I hope things work out for you and you head on down the road of recovery very soon. And if you want to have a bitch in this thread then don't let anyone stop you. Also, i wouldn't think i would be able to catch anything if i'm fucking newbies. :D

I'm good....

T

i fall into your group of "look at me, look at me", i recently updated my thread to my work and have had over around 900 views over the last 10 days and only two comments. Both from people who do comment each time i post. That is quite disheartning to say the least and certainly doesn't encourage people to keep posting. To me this goes to show that there are definite cliques in this forum and that a 'like' button that suited this forum would be great. I would click on it every time Kahaka, and many other artists posted.

It was not you that I was talking about.
And I have look at your thread many times but did not post mostly because I try not to
post "hey great job" all of the time here, but should have posted something in hind site.
You do some great work, really.

"That is quite disheartning to say the least and certainly doesn't encourage people to keep posting. To me this goes to show that there are definite cliques in this forum."

I agree and that's not a good thing for TC as we could lose good new artist that could
add good things to this site.
Plus it's hard to promote your tiki art if you are not in California and out of the loop,
as any tiki artist that is not in California will tell you.

Lets just say when you have 80 this year, as in not even two months, photo shopped heads in your thread.
You maybe getting off track a bit.
And while doing so bumping down and out your thread and Tipsy yetis, plus that new artist
that wants to post art, tiki art, not photo shopped heads.

And thanks for adding to this post as I thought it was kind of a cop out for some not
to take this chance to post your views on this one.

"There is no 'tone' in text. There is no sarcasm font (although there should be). And that's what you and ATP just don't get. No matter how nice the two of you might be in person or how, when you are writing you do so with a smile on your face/s, El Jefe, myself, and everybody else who frequents this forum can only go by what we READ."

I have a problem with this too, Mostly because I'm not very good with the words on paper thing.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:36 ]

S

I have no idea how large the Mexican population is here in Australia but regardless, i don't speak spanish. And again, i can only go by what i read and when i see the word 'boss' written twice in a comment, both times emphasised by punctuation marks, i'm going to see that as being patronising.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:35 ]

EJ

On 2014-02-11 13:58, lucas vigor wrote:
well, you are seeing it the way you choose to see it, then.

El Jefe had no problem with it, and I was actually being nice to him in my reply. My assumption is that he is Hispanic, as am I. I was trying to relate to him, letting him know I understand Spanish. Now, do you have any other complaints I can take care of?

It's all good. I have to admit I was not sure and thought the same thing as you Swizzle but Lucas has explained himself. I appreciate you looking out for me and can see your point.

Actually I am not Spanish or I should as far as I know or have been able to trace my family tree. The handle comes from a play on my name. My first name is Jeff. My friends have called me by that name for a while.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:31 ]

Assumption is the creme in the Devils coffee....

I am tired of people who make a living by preying on others. If I could push a button and send them all into the heart of the sun, I wonder what I'd have lunch?

T

El Vez!
I'm not tired of El vez, this refers to other page.
Love El Vez.

And best honorary Mexican goes to Eli Wallach, He's Jewish?
Who knew.
Blondieeeee.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-03-13 06:57 ]

H

Lucas Vigor
and
Atomic Tiki Punk

Two people that have ruined this site for me.

How so?

Have we kept others from posting the content you might prefer?
maybe you just want posted, only what you yourself are interested in & nothing else?
What is keeping you from contributing to Tiki Central in the way you might prefer?
How do you know that you're not wreaking it for others, like Lucas & myself?

And most importantly whom invented liquid soap & why?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 392 replies