Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

I Am Tired Of...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 392 replies

I am tired of

Corporations updating their mascots
to make them look more "contemporary" or "hipper" or more "extreme"!

I mean...Lucky the Leprechaun used to be full-blown Irish
now he's this homogenized Anglo-lookin dude...

and Wheaties boxes with those stupid sports celebutards on the front
Don't know half of em
Could care less for any of em
I'm just trying to eat my breakfast
Don't shove Sports in my face,please!

What else....what else.....

People talking about LOST
I mean....you're not only wasting an hour or two each time
but add to that
the additional time TALKING and texting about it...
Whatever happened to a good book
At least a classic book won't cram Ads down your throat.....

And lastly...
the Gulf Oil Spill
It seems as if they WANT to kill the Gulf
and a bunch of us while they're at it...
that oil gives off benzene
benzene is bad...
And now they're using a poisonous chemical to
push the oil down below the waves
so everything looks fine and dandy...
It's still down there!
Choking the life out of the ENTIRE ecosystem!
I'm really tired of the incompetence
and subterfuge....

wow! that felt great!

NEXT!

Big corporations buying up littler companies for their cool and unique products and branding and then crushing them out of existence.

I'm tired of religious fanatics running the world!

On 2010-05-26 12:33, beadtiki wrote:

Couldn't that just be shortened to 'being tired of religious fanatics'? The ones that aren't running the world can be just as annoying.

I never get tired of watching this.

W

I'm tired of people getting all self righteous against BP (sponsors of the current oil spill).

Corporations that wanna take the money and duck the blame are highly irritating and fun to laugh at when we see the film of their visits to Congress. But the blame game won't address the underlying issue: We like oil and oil causes problems once you bring it up from its quiet grave. The oil spills and similar crude related events are symptoms of our planet wide thirst for the black stuff.

It might feel good to join the "Boycott BP" Facebook page or start buying your gas at EXXON but unless one uses absolutely no products derived from crude oil it's kinda slightly hypocritical. (I also gotta wonder how long a personal BP boycott would last if fella's tank is on E and he's in a one station town and that station is BP. I can't imagine I'd hear this guy sayin "No, I will walk 50 miles to the next town and carry gas back to my car.")

W

On 2010-05-26 13:45, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

Agreed.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 26, 2010 1:55 PM

assholes that steal tiki carvings out of people's yards...

W

Radio stations using music for background or bumpers without giving credit to the artists.

Public radio is particularly bad about this. You'd think they'd be less likely to treat someone else's work as something to just spruce up their show. It wouldn't take much effort or time to just say "The Finches on Morning Edition." or "Belle & Sebastion at 8:20." It'd be fair to the artists and it'd be a service to the listeners who might like the music but don't want to spend 20 minutes navigating a radio website trying to find a credit for the song.

I imagine these radio shows wouldn't be so casual if someone were slicing up their commentaries and pieces to add filler to another show without giving on air credit.

W

The current Miracle Whip ad campaign.

The gist of it: If you use Miracle Whip you're unique, pert near a full blown rebel! You ain't no mayonnaise square...You crack the Whip!

From the Miracle Whip Facebook page...Be the sandwich spread's friend!

Maybe I'm extra annoyed cuz Miracle Whip is running ads on the My Space music player and the ads are loud and of poor sound quality. And really stoopid.

I know products feel they gotta flatter the hell outta their users. But somehow "Doin' the Dew" kinda makes sense, or the "Pepsi Generation," or even the claim that there was more for your life at Sears. But extreme sandwich spread? Maybe if it was Nutella. Miracle Whip? That's like extreme for grammas.

Speaking of ad campaigns, I'm tired of the VW Slugbug campaign where they hit each other every time a Golf or Touareg passes by. The slugbug concept never encompased anything but the Beetle, not the bus, not the 412, not the Karmaan Ghia, not the Thing. Maybe it would traslate to the New Beetle, but saying "Slugbug" and hitting someone when you see a Passat is just stoopid.

W

Yes! That VW campaign is...What's that word the kids use? Oh yeah, LAME!

However, I do like the color blind aspect of the white guy hitting the black guy and saying "Black one!" It's nice that it could make it into an ad and not be an issue. Though I still gotta wonder if this conversation happened...

*"We'll have to change the car's color!!!"

"But it's a black car in the ad! Can't we change the guy's color?"

"He's the only black person in the ad! We need to reach that demographic!"

"Maybe we can replace him with an ethnically ambiguos guy?"

"Then it will look like the two non-black guys are talking about black people!"*

etc.

B

On 2010-05-26 13:12, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-05-26 12:33, beadtiki wrote:

Couldn't that just be shortened to 'being tired of religious fanatics'? The ones that aren't running the world can be just as annoying.

You're correct there - I accept this amendment with much humbleness :wink:

B

On 2010-05-26 16:27, MadDogMike wrote:
Speaking of ad campaigns, I'm tired of the VW Slugbug campaign where they hit each other every time a Golf or Touareg passes by. The slugbug concept never encompased anything but the Beetle, not the bus, not the 412, not the Karmaan Ghia, not the Thing. Maybe it would traslate to the New Beetle, but saying "Slugbug" and hitting someone when you see a Passat is just stoopid.

I TOTALLY agree! Ugh - what an assinine commercial! They never had a "campaign" when the REAL slugbug came out - it was just something someone started and it caught on around the world! THIS one is SOOOO annoying!

B

I'm tired of all the debt ads that are on during the day - it's like they're all aimed at me personally! Same with all the new ambulance chaser ads! I swear I'll soon be able to sue Ben & Jerry's for getting diabetes!

B

On 2010-05-26 13:45, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

Who could get tired of THAT!? I miss her and LOVED her best in History of the World Part I: "I love quicktime harch."

I am tired of those little news items they scroll along the bottom of all those News Stations!
I feel like they're trying to subliminally implant certain ideals and opinions into
my brain while I'm watching what's happening in the bigger part of the screen!
It seems as if THEY are trying to induce psychic overload and distraction as well....

People (particularly people in the media) going on about how stupid they think Facebook or Twitter updates are.

The general comment is pert near always "I don't get [social networking site]! I don't care what you had for lunch!"

Ha-ha! Hilarious.

Guess what? I think your updates on your radio or TV show about how you think social networking updates are stupid are unimaginative and boring and I'd really rather hear what you had for lunch.

If all the people you know online are just sharing dull and pointless updates there's a good chance you only know dull and pointless people. If you only know dull and pointless people there's also a good chance that you yourself are dull and pointless. It's a little like looking around at a Dungeons & Dragons marathon weekend you're attending at the local Holiday INN and thinking "Man, all these people are geeks!"

And here's something else to wrap your dull and pointless mind around: Life is not about trips to Paris or shaking the President's hand or big game hunting or robbing banks with your buddies in order to fund your extreme surfing lifestyle.

Life is about the ordinary moment to moment little day to day things. Such as what you had for lunch. And most of our conversations are about these simple things, especially with the people we interact with on a daily basis. Read this typical interaction between coworkers Tim and Other Tim:

"Hey there, Tim, How's things this morning?"

"Oh hi, Other Tim, things are good. Nice day, huh?"

"Yep, sure is."

"Oh, last night me and Mrs. Other Tim went to that new burger joint I told you about."

"That one that looks like a chain but isn't?"

"Yeah, that place. It was pretty good. Good prices. Great onion rings."

"So it's not like chain food?"

"No, not at all."

"Did they have..."

"Oh yeah, they got like three kinds of veggie burger. One of em is vegan."

"Cool, I'll have to check it out with Mrs. Tim some night."

"Oh yeah, you should, I bet you'll like it."

"So any thoughts on where to eat lunch today?"

(And so on. Then you die.)

Did you notice the lack of really exciting elements such as jumping out of airplanes or sharing a cab with the guy who invented Snausages?

That's life.

Vampires. I never really liked vampire movies to begin with, but with Twilight and True Blood etc. I'm completely over it.
Pretty boys and maxim model girls with fake pale skin sucking people's blood...enough already.

Also...Hip Hop.....the "music", lifestyle, attitude, and ebonics etc....TIRED of it. !

J

Actually vampires might have been a significant influence on Tiki culture from a historical standpoint. Here's my logic:

1. In 1931, Universal Pictures releases "Dracula" starring Bela Lugosi. It's a smash hit ushering in a wave of "pre-code" classic horror films.

2. In 1932, "White Zombie" is released also starring Bela Lugosi. This is first introduction of Zombies (i.e. the reanimated dead) to the general public.

3. Two years later, in 1934 Don Beach introduces the Zombie cocktail. As written by Beachbum Berry "the Zombie put Don the Beachcomber's on the map". The rest is history.

So in other words, no vampires, no Tiki culture as we know it today. :)

T

That's a stretch John-O

Do you reading on the history of "The Zombie"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(cocktail)

J

Yup, and if you follow those Wikipedia links,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie#1930s

you get this description:

"In 1932, Victor Halperin directed White Zombie, a horror film starring Bela Lugosi. This film, capitalizing on the same voodoo zombie themes as Seabrook's book of three years prior, is often regarded as the first legitimate zombie film ever made. Here zombies are depicted as mindless, unthinking henchmen under the spell of an evil magician. Zombies, often still using this voodoo-inspired rationale, were initially uncommon in cinema...."

A lot of film critics consider this movie key in introducing the concept of a Zombie to the general public. Without it, Don Beach might have based his cocktail on some other idea (which might not have had the same popular iconongraphy that caught fire and inspired the Tropical cocktail boom).

I cite "Dracula" since it sparked the whole horror movie craze of the 1930's.

The way I see it, no Dracula --> no White Zombie --> no (inspired) Zombie Cocktail --> no 1930's Tropical cocktail boom --> no Tiki.

Think of it as "6 degrees of (Tiki) separation". I love those vampires !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-16 15:00 ]

TM

On 2010-09-16 11:22, tikiyaki wrote:
Also...Hip Hop.....the "music", lifestyle, attitude, and ebonics etc....TIRED of it. !

Me too. I was for it before I was against it.

I was actually going to include this in my "S%#T that pisses you off" thread...mostly to do with a youth culture SO unlike all the ones that came before...meaning, every single youth culture of the past, including punk, had articulate, intelligent teens...not so with the "What up dawg" morons of today! There is just nothing there, except sullen, glum stupidity...and boring, ugly, hate filled music pumped up at volumes so high that you mistakenly think there is an earthquake happening in the car behind you! (Always a big, black gas-guzzling truck driven by a shaved headed ape- like creature who probably owns a pit-bull).

HJ

Every third mope or mopette in the supermarket on their effing cell phone or blackberry or texting.

L

tired of feeling like a foreigner in my own country where I was born right here in the USA!

"tired of feeling like a foreigner in my own country where I was born right here in the USA!" -Lokepa-

I bet John Ross said something just like that round about 1829.

L

good point!

Tiki Jeep! bejesus it's an oxymoron,WTF! if it was carved out of palm,then maybe? just maybe!

I'm tired of being awake.

W

Bright light in restaurants and bars.

I was just pouring over some Yelp reviews of Seattle area joints and the one complaint I kept coming on was "dark" or "basement like" or 'Oh and the lighting is still pretty dim."

Hey all you light seeking hothouse pod people: Over 95% of the restaurants and bars in the world are ablaze with natural and artificial light every hour they're open. If a windowless joint is too dark for you why not head to a Cheesecake Factory or TGI Friday's or Olive Garden? I'm sure you're gonna like them a lot better. (In fact, when you're at the Olive Garden you're family!)

HJ

TV, cell phones and movie camera angles or speakers or scenes changing every 8 seconds or less.

On 2010-10-07 20:26, Haole Jim wrote:
TV, cell phones and movie camera angles or speakers or scenes changing every 8 seconds or less.

Welcome to the era of Instant gratification,where the kids are not alright,yea! ADD!

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2010 9:35 PM

The term "Nazi" being used so flippantly.

Call them Tiki Snobs, Tiki Purists, Tiki Bullies, Tiki Douchebags, etc.

"Tiki Nazi" makes me cringe. :(

TM

I am proud to be called all those things! (except Nazi)

W

TVs in stores advertising stuff.

At Albertson's the bastards have TV monitors right at ear and eye level at the checkout stands. Checking out of a grocery store is already annoying enough. Please leave TV blah-blah-blah out of it.

They even have a damned TV in the most peaceful part of the grocery store: The produce section. Now when I'm trying to pick between red, white, or yellow onions I have to hear some TV actor wannabe give me some great ways to use avocados. (Did you know you can slice them and put them on a hamburger? OH MY GAWD!!! SO awesome!)

(This rant was inspired by Ms S's comments below as I moved my fruitcake joke rant to a more appropriate thread.)

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2010-12-10 22:21 ]

people who talk on the phone in the grocery store

W

(What was here was s'posed to be up there where it now is. It probably doesn't matter that I removed a post I also made in another thread but I like to try and keep things neat and pretty when it comes to my posts.)

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2010-12-10 22:21 ]

Not being able to watch a movie or show without the TV station logo staring at me the whole time......or advertising what's up next in those cute animated ads that play while you're trying to watch something.

W

"This isn't your father's/mother's/grandfather's/grandmother's ____________!"

Hey advertisers and news yackers! Just because that tag line worked once doesn't make it the go to phrase for every discussion or selling of a revamped product. It's well worn out and stupid and though it probably could still be kicked in the guts for a few more laughs it's unlikely you're capable of pulling that off.

And if you're trying to sell us something you should keep in mind what product used that line most effectively (Oldsmobile) and where that product is now (dead).

So when I hear "This isn't your father's deep penetrating cuticle relaxer!" I immediately think of Oldsmobile, a brand that never really shook off its association with the ancient past and eventually disappeared into it, and then I assume your product is similar to Oldsmobile and your time is past.

C

Modern Hipsters

PBR is crap
High Life is crap.
That Indie band that only YOU are hip to is unknown because their music is terrible.
its OK to be a nerd, stop pretending its ironic.
You don't have an individual fashion sense, your a grown man who can't dress himself.
The man who put that PBR tattoo on your arm spent the rest of the day laughing at you, not with you, at you.
Planting grass in your living room wasn't an "Art Project" it was stupid.
There is no such thing as an "Art Project" an "Art Experiment" or any other justification for calling some random thing you did while high art.

Stop giving the hipsters of yore a bad name.

I am tired of 'There's an App for that.'

One - I don't have a cell phone.
Two - I don't need to know at any and all hours of the day whatever it is your App is supposed to tell me.
Three - When you say "There's an App for that" the only thing I can think of is your selling suppositories.

Am Tired Of...

Bong farting in the elevaters right before he gets out.

"Combined!"

When advertisers say their product is proven better in some way than Competitor #1, Competitor #2, Competitor #3, Competitor #4, and Competitor #N ... COMBINED!

A question is asked in an ad or speech...

What really makes a house a home?

Then multiple answers are suggested...

Is it security? Acceptance? Warmth? Laughter?

Then this answer is given:

We think it's all of these things.

Wha-? The answer is "All of the above"??? I totally did not see that coming! I thought you were about to reveal the one true thing that makes that thing you were talking about the thing that it is! But you cleverly showed me it's not just one thing...It's many things all at once! Brilliant! Bravo! Call the Nobel Prize committee!

I like White Zombie and Rob Zombie.

I hate banks and credit card companies that lie to you and say that going into debt is "priceless."

I hate politicians that lie straight to your face and think you are too stupid to know the truth.

I like Ron Paul.

I too hate corporate America that makes us all work harder for less pay in the name of a "Recession."

I hate CEO's that make millions while the poor saps on the front lines take pay cuts and now have to do the job of three people.

I love my backyard tiki bar that I can escape all of this crap!

[ Edited by: Trailerpark Tiki 2011-05-18 17:48 ]

TM

“The Wrecking Crew”

Or, that’s at least MY name for them.

These are the muscle heads at the gym who all have very fresh tatts going up and down their huge arms, some vague sort of Asian writing or letters usually….these guys seriously want you to notice them, very badly want you to notice them, feel inadequate if you don’t notice them!

Therefore, they have to slam the weights around. Dropping 300 pounds from 5 feet in the air so the whole gym floor shudders and we are all reminded of their awesome strength and power….

They have to grunt and yell at each repetition, so again, we are reminded of their awesome strength and power!

They spend 3-4 hours in the gym every day. Doesn’t look like they have any job or anything, but they have the time to burn!

They always have the wool cap pulled down low over their foreheads, to look cool I guess….and they strut around in front of the mirror, so proud of utterly devastating the weights. Ear buds are always on their ears, but I wonder what type of music they listen too. Probably not Mozart, but I could be wrong.

I see them out in the parking lot some times. All own very big trucks. 4-wheel drive trucks. Lifters. Cartoon of either a pitbull on the back window or a raider’s sticker.

The wrecking crew never smiles. They always look sort of upset. They like to chew gum. They only wear shirts that say "tap out" or some other MMA type slogan. The wrecking crew always refer to each other as "dawg" and like to use the phrase "You know what I'm saying?" a lot. The wrecking crew wishes they could be on "Jersey Shore", but since they are not eye-talian, they are ineligible.

Everything about these guys is big and noisy. They pass through life generating a very big wake, and all the little boats get tossed around in the currents behind them.

Can someone please explain this to me?

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2011-05-19 15:39 ]

On 2011-05-19 15:27, lucas vigor wrote:
“The Wrecking Crew”

Everything about these guys is big and noisy. They pass through life generating a very big wake, and all the little boats get tossed around in the currents behind them.

Can someone please explain this to me?

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2011-05-19 15:39 ]

Lucas:

Very, very well put. Happens here where I work out as well.

I do have to disagree about the "big wake". Actually, their wake is kinda small and in the end, they are nothing more than insignificant parts of the faceless masses that make up the back lot of America.

This is the BEST that they can do. This is their high-water mark.

When they are gone, no one will specifically miss them.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 392 replies