Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

CJ's Tropical Tiki ....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

Thanks neighbor! Yep, that cloud of sawdust over Newport Road was all mine!

Thanks Jeff ..... this big boy is now done ..... I'm inspired by your Tahitians so may try to put my spin on one of those next ....

Here is the finished 'shaka' BIG MOUTH! .... just waiting for a sunburned tourist in a Hawaiian shirt to buy him up!

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great Day!

New log started ..... Moai ...

Finally finished carving this Moai .... took a lot longer than I thought it would! A little more sanding and color and it's done!

N

Nice score on the logs bro, And dang have you been busy!! Everything is looking great. Keep up the good work.

S

the Moai looks great! I like !

Thanks NIxxon and skootiki .... the moai is stained and sparred ...

Got everybody together for a team photo .....

M

Nice carves. Diggin the details on the Moai!

Mahalo

McTiki

Big guy turned out pretty kool I reckon Capt,sweet haul of logs aswell. you guys are kill'n me with all that
sweet palm wood.

C

Very nice moai.

Thanks McTiki, Watango and Clarita!! I appreciate the compliment from such talented artists!

.... now that the moai is done it's back to a 'tourist' style tiki .... (gotta keep the balance between 'traditional' and 'tourist' ....!) So ..... I finished up another 'tourist' tiki .... this is the hula version of the ever popular BIG MOUTH! ... A hula, fishin dude! (Including a hand carved bone fish hook!)

.... also started on some signs to sell to the 'less-then-traditional' lovers of tiki ..... these signs will be framed in bamboo .....

CJ Tropical Tiki FACEBOOK page

http://openingdaymedia.net

[ Edited by: Captain Jack 2012-04-04 20:57 ]

[ Edited by: Captain Jack 2012-04-04 20:58 ]

There must be something about tiki carving that makes the birds want to build their nests and have their babies nearby! I remember Buzzy posting pics of nesters in his work area and now we have two at the bar out back where I carve!

There are the finches up above the palapa .....

.... and now a pair of doves have moved in behind the pirate!

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2012 8:18 AM

BBQ at Captain Jacks!

Come on down!! .... although, I wouldn't recommend sitting at the stool on the left ... that's the "drop zone"!

...got started on a couple end tables and/or plant stands today ... hope to mow through these two in a couple days and then jump into a hefty Ku that is just waiting for my attention!

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great Day!!

All done with these two end tables/plant stands ..... they are part of the "tourist" style of tikis but since I've already had 3 people want to buy them I guess that's cool! I'm anxious to start on a 3 and half foot Ku I have waiting but after seeing Jeff's gray stained moai, I might knock one of those out real quick!

The two tables and their backs .... 16 inches tall and a foot wide ...

Both have this tropical pattern on the top ...

P

here's a little tip...

get an inch & a half forstner bit for your drill with about a foot or 2 extension and drill 5 holes in the top about 8 inches deep and WA-LA! it's a fishing rod holder....and the fishing guys lose their shit for 'em (especially with a fish relief instead of a tiki)....

here's one I did for a buddy...

On 2012-04-11 18:42, pjc5150 wrote:
here's a little tip...

get an inch & a half forstner bit for your drill with about a foot or 2 extension and drill 5 holes in the top about 8 inches deep and WA-LA! it's a fishing rod holder....and the fishing guys lose their shit for 'em (especially with a fish relief instead of a tiki)....

here's one I did for a buddy...

Great Idea, Jeff!! I love that piece! I took your advice on the plant stand/planter suggestion and sure as shit, people are jumping on these things!!

P

good deal bro. glad I could be helpful!

I know most folks in this community scoff at the touristy crap, but it certainly pays the bills! I have orders for three sets of those tables now! Oh well, it beats punching a time clock and packing a lunch bucket ....

... but they'll have to wait, right now I am stoked to get started on this Ku that has been waiting patiently ... it's about 3 feet and is a nice chunky log .... Can't wait to dig into this guy some more!

a couple progress shots of the little fella ...

... quick pattern drawn on:

.... and a couple hours of work on the body:

Got in a few chops this morning before the rain ... so far so good .... no rot and I haven't screwed anything up yet ....

P

dude!

that is a great draw-out & start. steppin it up on this one I see...very nice!

Please don't paint his teeth white! lol...just bustin' yer balls...

Thanks! I'm anxious to keep going on this guy .... and no white teeth on this guy! Even if a customer requests it!

Mrs. Dove took off for a minute so I grabbed a quick pic of her nest .... The doves and the finches seem to like the chop, chop, chop of the mallet on chisels!

M

Excellent roughout! Don't sweat the tourist money...it spends all the same.

Keep em coming

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks McTiki .... a bit more rough stuff yesterday before I dropped him too hard onto the horse and busted the shit out of it! Guess I'll be rebuilding that thing this morning!

I scored an order for two tikis so have put the Ku on hold for a few days. I dug out a fresh(er) log and cleaned them up with the drawknife and then drew on the faces ... then after passing inspection by my little helper jumped into the 1st one this morning. After carving those old, dry logs the last few tikis, this one slices like butter!

Should be able to have these done by the end of the week and then back to the Ku!

A
amate posted on Tue, Apr 17, 2012 5:21 PM

If those tourist become too troublsome, send them my way :) That Ku is looking good.

I like
Way cool carvings

S

Ku looking GREAT!

Thanks guys ..... I'm anxious to get back to the Ku ... getting closer on these commissioned pieces. One is ready for sanding and color, the other has a body ..

Thanks for Stopping and Have a Great Day!

... one done! .... Hope to finish the second one today or tomorrow ...

Finished these two customer tikis and got to chop a bit more on the Ku .... There's a little light showing now!

It's going to be a new challenge for me to get down in behind the headdress and sculpture the butt and heels ... that's a tight fit!

Oh ya, full body punching thru legs and arms. Well done.

Oh ya, full body punching thru legs and arms. Well done.

Thanks Seeks!!

Making some more progress .... worked the face a bit this morning..

Went on a log run yesterday and snagged 7 prime suspects! One of the 5 footers has Marq in its very near future ... but first I have to finish up this guy!

A progress shot from yesterday ...

... and then from this morning

P

that thing is lookin' killer bro...

Very nice Captain...good lookin' tiki!

Sweet lookin

M

That Ku is nice as heck! Thanks for showing the session progress.

Mahalo

McTiki

C
cy posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2012 4:09 PM

That Ku is a nice one Cap'n. Sure do like tikis made of palm

M

[ Edited by: McTiki 2012-04-25 16:57 ]

Do'n fine Captain.
Keep chopping wood off.

Now yer cookin!

Thanks, Jeff! I try to increase the difficulty with every tiki!

Appreciate it, Congatiki! I'm gearing up to tackle a lono shortly .... one like your latest!

Thanks, Hang10 ... no fez, but at least his eyes aren't crooked! :wink:

Much appreciated McTiki! I know seeing all the progress shots from other TC carvers and the pics help me tremendously!

Thanks, Cy! This palm is giving me some fits, though! It's quite dry so the fibers tend to crumble when trying to get into too much detail ... slow and steady!

Thanks, Will! I'm trying! Getting behind the headdress to work the back is a challenge ....

Appreciate it, Tom! .... I can't wait to get the white paint on those teeth! :wink: ... (I'm Kidding!)

I worked on the headdress today and the hands. Also cleaned up the eyes and did the teeth ... just a few more days and he'll be ready for sanding ...

strong work

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2012 6:12 PM

Nice work Capt'n!

Damn!!! This Tiki carving crap is taking over! Fishin' Friday used to be an escape from the carving, sanding and staining! ..... Now look what has happened! I've been bamboozled by the tiki influences into taking logs and chisels to the lake! ....

.... I did catch a fish, so Fishin' Friday was a great success!

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2012 9:41 PM

Tiki takes over you like voo doo cap.

the noise of chiseling didn't scare the fish then?

Nice work on the Ku.

Thanks guys ... that is a catch and release lake so nothing bothers those fish! They know they will be back swimming in no time!

Posting the pics of the finished Ku ....

Trying something "whimsical" next ... well, in addition to the log I'll be taking to the lake tomorrow!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies