Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pulp or no pulp in your cocktail ?

Pages: 1 11 replies

I like pulp in my fruit juice. There, I said it and now I feel better. My wife can't stand pulp in any fruit juice. I was wondering if pulp plays an important part in the classic "Tiki cocktail"? Maybe it's just ones personal preference if it's in there or not. For my part I think it adds another dimension or layer to the drink. I'm not talking about freezing the juice or why to use fresh over frozen or what juicer to use as that has all be covered before. So do you go pulp free or let it all in? And why or why not does it belong in a cocktail in your view? Man I got allot of time on my hands these days to be thinking about this stuff.

A

Pulp seems to be one of those dividing lines at breakfast, and why there are so many variations of juices available
at the store. For me- no pulp, ever. Thanks for asking!

S

No pulp for mixing. Makes the glasses harder to clean!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 18, 2010 10:01 AM

I'm going to line up on the side For pulp.

Unless, of course, your using a straw in your drink then I tend to go pulp free. Those little cocktail straws (I know, they are for stirring, not drinking) tend to gum up with the pulp.

Pulpalicious!

It just seems to me that pulp is frowned upon in Tiki drinks, which is why I do my best to filter it all out when I make passion fruit syrup, for example. OTOH, the vast majority of the tropical drinks I make for myself are heavily laden with fruit juices along with their pulp.

I love pulp!

A

I like pulp, but I would guess traditionally cocktails with fruit juice would usually have no pulp. It can clog up straws. My girlfriend doesn't like pulp. Probably the same reasons that I like crunchy peanut butter and she prefers smooth.

And I do agree that pulp can be a beast to clean off of glasses. Even from simply fresh squeezed lime juice.

A little bit of pulp give a nice mouth-feel and texture that adds to the pleasure of a nice cocktail. I wouldn't care for a mai tai where someone had gone to the trouble of filtering out the minuscule bits of lime pulp that let me know it's hand squeezed. That being said i don't want to chew on my drink either.

Since I prefer fresh squeezed juices in my cocktails I say yes with the pulp,I also like that it adds a bit of texture to a drink.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-06-18 13:52 ]

K

I like pulp, as it gives a sense of verite', as the French would say. Seems to me tiki drinks should be directly reminiscent of juices, and feel refined-but-primitive. Excessively pure ingredients speak too much of factories and processes, of a world without dirt.

And rinse your glasses after drinking! Especially those tiki mugs with a lot of nooks and crannies for pulp to hide in.

A

Yeah, true enough. A bit of super fresh squeezed in a tropical cocktail is ok, I guess, for "tooth".
But Hell's Yeah- rinse glasses immediately! Funny, I don't mind those little coconut bits in the young juice.

Pages: 1 11 replies