Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

TikiG's Gallery of Paintings

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies

you are Unstoppable!

what,me worry?

CLASSIC!

T

Wow! You're a paintin' machine, G. What's in the water up there in Palmdale?

Good stuff, I especially like your carnival piece.

A

More, pls!!!

T

Thanks my tiki family for the positive vibes and comments -

I get in the groove on weekends to paint, usually after a stressful week of work - you know?

While I paint I'm inspired with other crazy ideas, so at any given moment I have several images floating around in my head of things I want to capture. That's why I paint with acrylics, this medium suits me best because the paint is fast drying and easy clean-up. I'm experimenting with oils on velvet but that's such a SLOW PROCESS...not good for a fast turnover. Those to be unveiled at a later date (Tiki Oasis 11?)

Funny but I don't drink too much water up in Palmdale so it must be the cold Mountain Dew :) I consume that keeps me going (I drink water while I'm at work.)

I have several more paintings ready to post but I must wait until their owners see them first.

Oh yeah - all of my work is "for sale" but pricing them is difficult as I tend to want to give them away free to friends. Let's say I'll trade easily. I only say this because I've had inquires in general when I talk to people (and interest on Facebook, here on TC etc). I'm hoping to find my equivalent of Aloha Barney I guess :wink:. So, catch me in a good mood and...?

Over and out for now...maybe I'll hang-out with you at Ron & Mickee's party Saturday night? G

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Sep 3, 2010 6:14 PM

Good Evening and Happy Labor Day Weekend 2010, TikiPeeps!!

As promised, here's my latest painting - just finished and still drying -

"Hei E. Neuman"
Acrylics on 11" x 14" canvas board.

Dig it you tiki-things...Cheers! G

Nice! Love it!

Z

...Plus a million points for style
Z

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Sep 6, 2010 7:58 AM

Alohas from TikiG -

Here's a new canvas I painted for a friend that you may know too -

"Christian's Hut"
Acrylics on 16" x 20" canvas panel
August 2010.

Detail...

Thanks for checking in today. More to follow...

Alford E. Maori is hilarious, but I really like the background colors and texture.

love the neuman tikiG. great painting.......:)

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Sep 6, 2010 3:37 PM

Here's my Labor Day 2010 painting from yours truly -

"Miss Indica"
Acrylics on 9" x 12" canvas panel
September 6, 2010

Inspired by a black velvet painting I saw last Saturday evening, with an added TikiG twist (of course :wink:)

Dig it you tiki-things. G

Right on G! Good talking to you at the Rincon Room.

T

MAD!!!!! THAT IS CRAZY.

Greg- you are on a ROLL man!
Awesome stuff lately. Keeps getting better & better!!!
Cheers, brother!
-Andy

I got a package in the mail today. inside was a stunning architectural painting . Best Burfday present ever! thanks G.
Post the pic. so I can show off my prize

G RULES!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2010 5:31 PM

Alohas! TikiG here -

Okay, here's the painting I finished in time for Dawn's birthday - Frank Sinatra's swanky Palm Springs pad

"Twilight at Twin Palms"
Acrylics on 16" x 20" canvas panel.
August-September 2010.

Thanks for the kind words Dawn - enjoy your TikiG art - I enjoyed painting it for you.

Kinney, well you know, I paint just a small sliver...a fraction of the all-out awesomeness of your shit (I mean art!) Thanks for the post, art brother!

Working on another Pacific Ocean Park piece for Bill the guitarist of the Glasgow Tiki Shakers, and slowly working on my huge canvas of the Cyclone Racer roller coaster at the Pike (in twilight). Look for them posted soon I hope. Cheers! G

Damn Greg!!! I'm impressed. The pool amazes me, the reflections on the surface, the depth of the water - borders on photo-realistic. Love the sky and the lamps. Didn't the Next Food Network Star film there a few months ago?

K
kirby posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2010 5:42 PM

WOW!!!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2010 5:43 PM

Thanks MDM!! Thannks Kirby!!!

Yes - somebody told me about the TV show during the period I was painting it. Never got to see it though.

TikiG

tiki since '67!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-09-09 17:44 ]

umm, WOW! :o
Nice, G!

Excellent work Greg! Mike is right the pool looks amazing!

I'd just like to say...exactly what MadDogMike said...Wendy

T

Nice work, G!

you should see it in person the sky positively glows and all the rooms have intricate details with furniture, lighting, and art. The pool looks like you could dive right in.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-09-09 18:39 ]

Fine gallery and looks like you are having fun in the creative process.

Thank you for sharing.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Sep 14, 2010 9:00 PM

Here's my latest painting - finished tonight.

Not a tiki image, but nonetheless a dear topic to many TC peeps from Southern California -

"Pacific Ocean Park"
Acrylics on 9" x 12" canvas panel.
September 14, 2010.

Painted for Bill McGlynn, guitarist for the Glasgow Tiki Shakers. Bill is a lifelong P.O.P. fan and yes, he visited P.O.P. many times back in the day.

Enjoy! (and Bill - the painting is on its way to you.) G

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 9:23 PM

Aloha Tiki Peeps!

I've received a request to post an in-progress photo of my latest painting(s)if possible. This afternoon I started a two-part project, both paintings will be on 2' x 4' press-board panels each prepared with black gesso and then layered with a thin coat of commercial black acrylic paint. Both images will be that of nude Polynesian wahine.

I'm going for the black-velvet look the goal being accomplished without the pain and suffering that real black-velvet requires from me. I consider these form studies to be painted loosely but with intent of depth and beauty and yes with a nod to master Leeteg.

So here you go - I'm one hour into this painting so far. Pic taken without flash then enhanced slightly.
Taking a TV break now and will resume painting in the morning...

What do you think?
What would be a cool background - if any?

My goal is a classic mid-century feel. Thanks for stopping by and participating in advance. Cheers! G

A

How about a beach towel for a back ground? Or a surf board

Been enjoying seeing all your paintings, G!

Those are big ones! (the paintings you perverts! :lol: ) I always love to see the progress on paintings. I see her as just stepped out of the ocean from a quick dip, wringing out her hair.

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2010 12:21 PM

Aloha TC!

I've been busy with the paints lately, given my unemployed status its really nice to have all the time required to just relax and see how random ideas turn into reality.

I have a handful of new paintings to post so I'll just start with this one...I hope you like this one as much as I liked painting it.

"Today's Find"
October 2010.

Image based on Margaret Keane's "No Dogs Allowed" painting. I know you remember the Keane big eyes paintings of the 60s - she still paints them to this day.

More TikiG paintings to post soon. Cheers! G

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2010 1:02 PM

Aloha!

As per a few requests I've received on Facebook asking to show how I make custom bamboo frames for my art -
here's my process and a look at the finished product...

Press-board. Bought in 2' x 4' sheets at Home Depot. Approx. 1/8" thick. Shown prepped in white gesso.

Bamboo stash. Hand cut pieces direct from a local river-bottom where bamboo grows wild everywhere. Cut in random lengths that fit in the car (approx. 6' lengths x 1" diameter average).

TikiG painting (Duke Study #3) and ruler for measuring.

TikiG looks for a single bamboo piece that is suitable for this project.

Detail of press-board cut lines. Notice press-board cut lines are extended 1/2" around perimeter of canvas panel.

Cut press-board piece ready for bamboo.

Bamboo pieces hand-cut, with 45 degree ends. I use a commercially available plastic miter box w/hand-saw bought at Home Depot.

Detail of gluing process. I use "Liquid Nails" adhesive and caulking gun. This stuff works fantastic.

Corner detail showing rope finish. This is a single strand - I could use more strands if wanted. I kept this simple.

Finished bamboo frame finished with a spray coating of glossy sealer. The painting justs pops in between the bamboo, has a tight fit and may be removed later if required. Looks pretty cool.

I hope you find this post informative and helpful. If you require a bamboo frame for a special project at a very reasonable price - contact me. Cheers! G

Nice, G! I love that you're using personally harvested wild local bamboo.

Cool step-by-steps! Thanks G!

Beautiful frame Greg. Simple, yet well executed.

T

Thanks for the frame tutorial, 'G. I'll have to try it sometime.

Waves look really good G. And the frame is a perfect compliment.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 7:19 PM

Thanks TC peeps for the nice feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed my bamboo-framing lesson.

Jason! - missed ya at Tiki Ti and the Tiki Farm party last Saturday.

WELL - I've been busy painting for the past week or so since my last TikiG art post - I present four new pieces. Three for the fun of it (no art show deadline for me) and one for a friend. Enjoy!

"Who's Sorry Now?"
Acrylics on 14" x 21.5" wood panel.
October 2010.

"Rhythm in Yellow"
Acrylics on 12" x 16" canvas panel.
October 2010.

"Can't You See I'm Trippin?"
October 2010.

"Sabu's Portrait"
October 2010.
A continuation of my TikiG "Birds of Paradise" series.

That's all for tonight. Dig it you tiki monsters and Happy Halloween! if I don't get back here before November. Cheers! G

WOWWOWOOWOWOWOWOOWOWOOWWWWWWW!
Haven't seen a lot of these!

"Can't You See I'm Trippin?"
hilarious!
and now you're making frames?!??!!?
Right on!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Oct 21, 2010 7:12 PM

Thanks brutha Kinney!

Art is what happens post trip I suppose :) (truthfully? pre/during/post trip)

now git...git back to paintins' Mr. Ruzik - youse has a show around the corner - times is FLYIN!!

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Nov 28, 2010 4:40 PM

Aloha tiki brothers and sisters!

Its been a while since I've posted a new painting, so here it is - hope you dig it:

"This Tiki's Life is Ruff"
Acrylics on 16" x 20" canvas panel.
November 2010.
Thanks must be given to Tiki Russ and his doggie for the inspiration...inspiration is found everywhere!

First in a series of TikiG tiki & space paintings I'm currently working on. On to the next. Thanks for looking. G

Greg, I missed your previous posting, very cool. Tell us a little of the inspiration for "Who's Sorry Now".

I really like the bomb blast. Wendy

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Dec 12, 2010 2:34 PM

Aloha Tikis!! TikiG here for an update -

First off...my inspiration for the atom-bomb image is that I like atom-bomb images for some warped reason, probably from my cold-war, school-days, propaganda-hanging-in-the-classroom memories. I thought the juxtaposition of advertising hyperbole and the explosion image went together well. Nothing new here although this Mod Podge & painting is MY take on the subject. Thanks for the positives on that one.

Now...I'd love to present two new TikiG canvases I finished over the past week or so.

"Tiki Falls"
December 01-06, 2010.

"Like, Mad"
Acrylics on 14" x 18" canvas panel.
December 08-10, 2010.

More to come in the next week as I'm working on many paintings right now - although a few will be reserved to post later as they are holiday gifts and I can't spoil the surprise for the recipients, y'know?

Hope you enjoy these latest offerings as much as I enjoyed painting them. Thanks for all the support.

Aloha! G

Real art from a real artist as Christmas gifts - how cool is that!!??

Greg, thanks for the ABomb insight. Tiki Fall looks lush and inviting, and "Like, Mad" looks a lot like me! :lol:

Gettin betterer and betterer G!
ho ho freakin ho,buddy!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Dec 13, 2010 9:15 PM

Dude(s) - Thanks for the comments!

HJ

TikiG, that is a bunch of fine art.

Good on you and thank you for sharing.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies