Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 6:19 AM

Following a democratic decision making process in which a drunk llama randomnly spat at school children holding different potential art swap themes, the new theme has been chosen - Birds of the Pacific

Soooo, the art can be any medium you want. Remember though, to think laterally about the theme! It could be a carving like a PNG drum with a hornbill style handle, a painting of a bird of paradise, or some mixed medium art with feathers incorporated into it!

THE DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 20 This gives you plenty of time to get your ass into gear and make some amazing art. This also allows those of you going to Oasis some time to recover and get some art together in time for the deadline too.

The basics are:

• Each person is only allowed to swap with one partner
  • Participants all create an original piece of art on the theme
  • The art can be anything you like (as long as it is original, no prints/moulded pendants etc), so it could be a painting, charcoal sketch, pastel art, a carving, a one off hand carved mug etc etc etc. Look at the links below to the previous swaps to get an appreciation of the variety of stuff you could make.
  • Some people get caught up in the excitement and make multiple pieces of art on the theme. Thats cool, just be clear if your swap partner is going to receive all of it or if they get a choice out of what you have made. And remember one swap partner per person.
  • Post your pics on this thread of the art you are making - to motivate everyone else to get involved!
  • Post pics of your completed piece by the due date!!!
  • All of the participants names will go into a hat, and be drawn out together. The list of swapping partners will be posted here. PM your swapping partner and exhange your postal details. Send your piece off and watch the mailbox like a hawk waiting for your art to arrive!
  • Note - there is a reasonable chance that your creation will be sent overseas! You are responsible for postal costs of the item you create, so dont enter a 6 foot carving unless you're prepared to cover postage! One participant in a previous swap got quoted an exorbient amount to post their piece with Fed Ex. By sending the same piece with US Postal Service, they saved themselves a huge amount of cash.

Check out the previous swaps for some inspiration:

PNG theme swap
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32054&forum=18&start=0

Poly Pop Menu Cover Inspired Art Swap
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=33330&forum=18&start=0

Shrunken Heads and Headhunters Swap
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35479&forum=18&start=0&370

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 6:31 AM

A few quick pics for inspiration

I'm going to do my best to participate in this one! Sounds like a lot of fun!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 7:19 AM

Alright - I'm in on this swap! Thanks Hewey.

Back to the drawing board :)

HOOOOOOWLLL!!!!!

Thanks Hewey, this is gonna be fun! :D

I'm in!! So many ideas - what to do????

A

I'm in!

I was so dissapointed with missing the shrunkenhead swap!!
I will not miss this one!!
I am IN!!!

I'm in

TB

present!

MadDogMike, the camel spit at your swap suggestion congratulations! I'm in. Wendy

B

I'm in too! AND that's my wedding anniversary (#23)!

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2010-07-01 10:44 ]

V

Fantastic theme!

I'm in, barring any disasters - and I appreciate the post-Oasis breathing room :)

Henrik

W
Weitz posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 11:28 AM

YES YES YES.
I'm so in. I'm glad the deadline is until September. That means someone will get one of my first (sucessful) mugs. Or a painting if all else fails. ^_^
The only sad part is that when my swap arrives at my home, I'll be researching in Moorea and won't get it til Thanksgiving. Le sigh.

I laughed & winced when I read how the theme was "chosen." As a child at some random roadside zoo, a llama that I was attempting to feed spit in my face. Ever since, my family makes llama references whenever possible & I have a carved wooden mother & baby llama sculpture looking at me menacingly as I type this.
Besides, I really enjoyed the last one. So count me in!
~kele

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 7:04 PM

:) - damn...everything I've done lately seems to have a bird in it.

I'll play if'n you all let me color outside of the lines a little bit :lol:

Is this coloring outside of the lines?

It has wings and lives in the South Pacific :lol:

Can I be the first to post a teaser pic?

An bird experiment I'm working on :D

TB

I'm following you maddogmike :wink:
here my sketch

Here's is my prelim sketch of a honey creeper. This may just be my second acrylic painting. If I run into time issues it may be a pen and ink drawing.

I'm loving this already. We were just out to lunch and ran into a bat.

I was going to flip it over with my car key but when I touched it the wing moved. Rabies! Wendy

A

If you've ever heard a tern plap plap plapping in the mud, you'll surely share my enthusiasm for the kawaiiiiiiii

P

I know that I'm pretty new still, so I understand if not, but can I be in on this too? I've been telling myself to get back into art lately and this gives me the perfect excuse! I promise not to disappoint!

Pennjones, as far as I know there is no "Certificate of Artistic Competency" required. Hell, they even let me participate :D

pennjones, jump in and have fun. It's a great way to make friends. Sharing art makes it even better. Wendy

The female Hornbill walls herself up in a hollow tree and leaves just an opening that the male Hornbill can feed her through. She lays her eggs, sits on them, and stays in the tree for several weeks until the babies are ready to leave the nest. Talk about Cabin Fever!!!

How about a Hornbill Nest Pitcher for your next batch of Jungle Juice?

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Jul 3, 2010 1:53 PM

Man, it looks like we have some fun stuff brewing!

Well, I told ya I was going to color outside the lines a little bit. I took a little break from this Oasis slip casting hell I've been in to hand build on, and alter one of these Cobras Fang mugs up for this tradey...It's been kind of fun to take a kitch thing and start to move, or change it in to something beyond kitch...ok, I'm starting to hurt my brain now :)

PS: sorry, lost my camera; the above was shot with my phone...

[ Edited by: Babalu 2010-07-03 13:54 ]

B

Mike - I don't recall there being a BAT of Paradise - but hey, whatever! LOL You guys are already sketching stuff out (and developing them!) and I'm still trying to figure out what medium to use! Sheesh!

Babalu, Oh My. I love it, I love it. I don't know how to express my feelings over this work of art and to think that you will glaze it and bring it to life. What an inspiration to work hard for this swap.

Is the snake and bird hollow so that all the clay is the same wall thickness?

Wendy

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Jul 3, 2010 2:50 PM

Hey Wendy...thanks :)

The Cobra mug is cast, only the head has been changed so that the mouth of the snake is open, etc. I do re-work a huge part of each and every casting on this cobras fang mug however...

The bird is built solid on the mug...it still does not add much overall weight.

I was really trying for an strong interaction between the snake and the young lorikeet -

[ Edited by: Babalu 2010-07-03 14:59 ]

S1

Awesome job Babalu...can't wait to see the finished product....I'm stepping up to the plate ...I'M IN!!!!

I'm In! I'm In!

K?

Yes, I paint. I typically paint abstracts, have done a few portraits, now it's time to bust out something for TC!

I've already selected my subject: The rainbow Lorikeet from Papa New Guinea.

[ Edited by: melekalikimaka 2010-07-03 15:53 ]

[ Edited by: Melekalikimaka 2010-07-03 15:53 ]

This bird may be my choice too! Check out California Events. I posted a recent visit to a Lorakeet hands on at the zoo. Wendy

Babalu I saw the interaction, it's so good I was fearful for the bird!

S

I love Rainbow Lorikeets. An ex-girlfriend had one and it used to sit on her shoulder when we went to the supermarket. I also have flocks of them fly over the house regularly and what I find so funny about them is they are SO loud and NEVER stop squawking.

And Babalu, that mug is amazing. You are one talented individual. Whoever gets that piece is going to be very lucky.

Look at the detail on that bird - that, Rick, is why you are the master!

Regan, I intend to make that Flying Fox goblet but I was kidding about doing it for the bird swap :lol:

B

Swizzle - at least lorikeets are pretty to look at - all we get here is all the noise and none of the flash (crows) - I think the Lord of the Dance is training entire murders of crows his dance steps on the roof over my bedroom at 5 a.m.! It's worse now because all the babies are fledging but they're still getting food from the parents - so all they do is scream for food!

Babalu - incredible detail on your mugs. Wendy - I saw the danger for that little guy too - simply amazing.

AND - if I had thought about using ANY pretty bird from ANY paradise, I might not have spent most of the day looking at pictures of birds of paradise (the flowers and the birds) and branched out a bit (pun intended!). Now I may have to amend my initial idea. Hmmm. Lots to think about.

TB

I love that swap :)
Babalu.. I'm so sure everyone is working right now, and pray for having this swap with you :wink: so am i :wink:
here my tikiwi. now I have to wait the kiln decision.. will he like it or not :wink:
Mahalo,

HOLY CRAP BAI!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o

So very cool in such a short period of time. You and Babs are sure providing a swift kick in the pants to the rest of us! :)

B

wOw bai...VERY NICE INDEED! I love the way you have worked the straw hole in...feeding the baby, or rather him feeding you...sweeeet!

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Jul 4, 2010 11:06 AM

What did I wake up to this morning? A SWIFT KICK IN THE PANTS!

Babs-n-Bai really have their sh't together on this one. I still have to get out of bed...

I plan to try several bird inspired works by the end of the Swap so I can offer my partner a variety - they say one man's garbage is another man's treasure :D

I tried a technique new to me: you carve a form out of styrofoam, cover it with polymer clay, and bake it. The styrofoam shrinks down to nothing and is easy to remove from the cured polymer.

Here's the original form

Here's the form after baking :o

Here's the result

Sabu probably isn't watching this thread but he should know where I'm going with this, I decided to use the whole skull instead of just the beak for a little extra drama :)

MadDogMike, that's something new I'll have to try.

Mike, Bai and Babalu you inspire me. This swap is really special. Traveling Jones is super busy this summer I wish he could still join us, hear that Joensey? Wendy

Wow, Jonesey you beat my message about you by a split second. We have a mental connection! Wendy

P

Wow, I can't wait for this. I already started 2 things that may eventually be combined! One is clay and the other is wood. Both involve acrylic paint though! I'll try to post some pics up later.

I'm not sure if this is finished yet, but here's what I've done so far...

Of course this is an extreme close up... SUGGESTIONS??

I wanted to find the most perfect bird for this swap. So I went to Amazon.com.
I found and bought this book.

I thought it would have wonderful photos. Instead every page looks like this.

Not one picture or drawing in the entire book. Back to the drawing board. Wendy

Melekimikimaka, just guessing on the spelling, I'm just home from work and I am too tired to write it down. I can feel that bird is looking at me. I think we all love Loarkeets they are just beautiful and so is your painting. Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies