Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 404 replies

A Trader Vics Lounge back from 2007, when it first opened.
Glad TVL has withstood the test of time.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23970&forum=1&hilite=trader%20vics%20lounge

In reference to JOHN-O's old post, it's not because of the Trader Vic's brand that the drink prices are high at TVL, it's Beverly Hills! At Emeryville during Happy Hour the Mai Tai's are $6 and $10 otherwise. Before the recent menu revamp they were $5 and $9 respectively.

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2014-03-25 18:08 ]

J

I was at the B.H. Lounge last Wed.

1 Navy Grog, 2 Old Fashioneds, 1 Seafood Fried Rice, plus tip set me back a cool C-Note.

That did seem pretty expensive.

On 2014-03-25 18:26, JOHN-O wrote:

1 Navy Grog, 2 Old Fashioneds, 1 Seafood Fried Rice, plus tip set me back a cool C-Note.

I was planning on going back this summer, but dayam.

John's a good tipper....

On 2014-05-30 22:17, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
John's a good tipper....

Of course he is.

The TV Lounge does have the incredible pool-side patio and great lighting, although the canopy room may be for special occasions.

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2014 6:25 PM

On 2014-05-30 21:15, christiki295 wrote:

On 2014-03-25 18:26, JOHN-O wrote:

I was planning on going back this summer, but dayam.

Re-reading this post I thought there's no way it could have been that expensive.

Digging up the old receipt, I guess it was...

BK

Yikes! Maybe I could order off the kids menu!?

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2014 9:31 PM

We"ll nosh at Nate 'n Al's beforehand. Corned beef on rye is Tiki !! :)

Was there lobster in the fried rice?

Must of used a lot of truffles in that rice, damn!

On 2014-06-01 21:40, tikilongbeach wrote:
Was there lobster in the fried rice?

Certainly there was seafood.
The selection is the Indo-China Seafood Fried Rice.

Menu:

http://losangeles.menupages.com/restaurants/trader-vics/menu

BK

On 2014-06-01 21:31, JOHN-O wrote:
We"ll nosh at Nate 'n Al's beforehand. Corned beef on rye is Tiki !! :)

I'm in!

J

Tiki Tuesday in Highland Park, CA at Sonny's Hideaway !!

If you enjoy craft Tropicals in close proximity to great Mexican food then I can't think of a better neighborhood. :)

My friend who lives in HP was telling me about this place. How were the cocktails?

J

The drinks were really good, it was full on Craft. Some of best Tropical mixology is going on outside the Tiki bar.

Who would've ever thunk it for North East LA ?? :)

I'm going to have to check it out (hopefully they keep the Tiki Tuesdays going long enough for me to get over there). I've been on the road for work for the last 2 months and have spent some time in Eugene Oregon and Ashville NC and have found a couple of bartenders in both cities who can whip up some fantastic craft Tropical drinks. Amazing where you can find it if you have the right conversation.

A

I like this thread :) I read it a while back & have heard in other places that Smugglers Cove do the best 1934 Zombie around.

Im still searching for 'my' rum combination, I find the Zombie difficult to balance consistently - some times it can be good, sometimes times with the same ingredients it can be not so good. Slight touches throw it off.

There are so many factors in this drink!

Does anyone know what other bottled ingredients (grenadine, cinnammon, Jamaican rum, PR rum, absinthe / herbsiant / pernod) Smugglers Cove are using in their 1934 Zombie?

I heard at a seminar from Martin Cate that they use John Taylors Falernum at the Cove but they could always use something else for this drink. I'm assuming LH151 like John O says (when they can get their hands on it)...

In fact, not to derail this thread but to borrow it for a minute (because it's so good), what combos are other TCers using in the 1934 Zombie?

Cheers! :)

Taylor's Falernum - do you like it? I have always had home-made Falernum, but once bought a bottle of the Taylor's. The Taylor's was surprisingly weak and sugary.

A

On 2014-07-18 14:07, AceExplorer wrote:
Taylor's Falernum - do you like it?

Yeah, I like it... I similarly made my own falernum (the No 9 recipe) a few times so can compare.

On the first occasion I made some, I compared it to the end of my bottle of Taylors & it's fair to say it was quite a different product. The Taylors is more of a syrup no doubt & doesn't have quite the kick of the home made stuff but I found the homemade stuff was more variable (sometimes it was more clovey, others more gingery, limey, etc) & went off quicker than I used it.

Although, if we were talking homemade recipes, using a regular Spanish white rum (instead of Wray & Nephews as many suggest) or demerara sugar (a sort of dirty falernum) are both good ideas.

For the amount I use it (1oz a week tops?), I think Taylors is the best option for me.

Taylor's certainly is weak and syrupy compared to homemade. I find it works well enough in recipes that call for 1/2 ounce or less, but in drinks designed to showcase the falernum (eg, Corn 'n Oil) the Taylor's misses the mark horribly.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 404 replies