Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

tiki caliente 3 (Get Your Mug at www.tiki-caliente.com)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 440 replies

On 2011-05-22 10:13, lucas vigor wrote:
Tikicyn, going the extra mile and getting a grand membership here so we wouldn't automatically think you were either the owner or affiliated with the caliente tropics was a nice touch!

I agree, I had ipad and all my stuff out and not an issue

TM

The thing is, Rory put together an excellent event. I looked around as our band was playing, and people were having a great time! Smiles were abundant! The weather was perfect! I can't think of even one negative thing to say except I wished I had a room and could have made a weekend out of it.
But I heard some things that bothered me while I was there. heard the cops were called due to excess noise...and of course like everyone I assume it was the fine folks at Caliente next door that were doing that. Then I see this post from a first time poster, and it is such an obvious set-up I had to say something. I like Rory a lot. He is a great guy, who by creating an event like this is doing a LOT for the world of tiki...and I am 100% sure he tried as hard as he could to have the event at Caliente tropics...but they did not want us! Did'nt want to support the tiki community! So what next? Call the cops. Make a post suggesting staff at the travelodge were looting their own rooms. Anything to cast a shadow on the event.

Well, if I am wrong about that...I do apologize...but something makes me think I am not wrong about this. And Karma is a bitch!

M

sounds to me like the maid staff was doing a number on the guests (travel lodge)

H

So what happened at the Caliente Tropics? I heard their A-Frame over the entryway collapsed yesterday because a support beam buckled? Good thing the Tiki Caliente was held at the Travel Lodge.

Sooooo...I'm not the only one who thought it was odd the police showed up Friday night huh? Conspiracy theorists...take it away!

What a great weekend. This was our first tiki event and we plan on doing it again. Great meeting lots of new friends! See you all at Going Primitive!

What a great weekend! That was one of my all-time favorite stages to play, overlooking the pool! The crowd at Caliente was really really great! Thanks again for supporting The Hula Girls!

The cops being called when we were playing was ridiculous. I really hope that they fix the a-frame at The Tropics hotel and the place succeeds and is profitable, but I keep getting the feeling that those owners were the ones who kept calling the cops all weekend. We still had a blast regardless though!

The posters that I printed are now available at our web store at: http://thehulagirls.bigcartel.com/product/tiki-caliente-iii-poster

Can't wait for next year!!

Oh, and a big thanks to Rory for putting on such a great event!

T

WOW ! What a great event Rory. We had such a great time. Everything went off well. I'm overwhelmed with all the enthusiasm over my foam and wood tiki decorations. The compliments were heard all weekend. Thank you all again. I ended up breaking my pinky toe prepping for the pool horse race with Mark Vikander but we still had a blast. I can't wait to see the video. No one saw that race coming. Now let's get some pics up to show everyone. I also have about 10 official pendants left to sell for $15 plus shipping. I have 3 colors. Purple , sand and black. They have sand mixed in with the resin to make them look like stone. PM me if you want one. Mahalos , Ray

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2011-05-23 09:25 ]

C

I had a great time! Thanks again to Rory for having the Ding Dong Devils play Friday! The Travellodge was a great place to hold the event: the bowl-like layout around the pool area was very conducive to having vendors, stage and pool in one area, with balconies very close and overlooking (which also made it great for the official and impromptu room crawls). The rooms were nice, the place well-kept and nicely-restored. And all the extra time, care and work put in by the artists and volunteers, the Tiki vibe was strong before the festivities even kicked off! And like Ray's Tiki by the side of the stage, the whole thing was smokin' from start to finish!

Caltiki Brent

http://www.facebook.com/dingdongdevils
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dingdongdevils

[ Edited by: congawa 2011-05-23 09:34 ]

TM

Tikicyn just PMed me explaining what happened.

Tikicyn, I do apolgize for assuming you were a troll somehow affiliated with Caliente Tropics...

but please understand that normally, when someone on their first post here states something that seems real negative and designed to hurt, that would be a natural reaction. It's happened here before, and it always turns out to be someone that was either banned and snuck back on, or had some personal beef with someone here. The police had been called a few times that weekend about noise complaints, and if you look at the type of bands that were playing, that is ludicrous as none of us were not all that loud...so of course the obvious culprit is the Caliente next door. They were offered the chance to host this event, and basically told the tiki community we were not welcome, so the Travelodge next door was chosen instead. I am sure that pissed them off, so of course my first reaction was that your post was somehow connected....it did seem a bit strange, and if you look at it in that light after reading this and knowing more of the background of this event, you can see why I made the connection.

As it turns out, you truly were a victim of a serious crime, and well, that sucks. It marred what should otherwise have been a cool weekend for you.

As regards to something else you told me, I have to kind of agree...however, since joining tiki central 8 years ago, I have made a lot of good friends. Of course, there are many I have never spoken to, or gotten to know. For newcomers here and to these events, others have often spoken about similar things they have encountered. But, the more events you go to, the more friends you will make.

So, don't let your bad experience this weekend sour your enthusiasm for Tiki Culture. There are a lot of good times to be had...the key for me is to just stay drunk the whole time. You can't go wrong if you remember the old adage, "when in rome....."

Thank you Rory for a tikitastic time!!!!! Thanks Ray and Mark for a memorable Tiki Preakness race!

Rory, Congratz on another successful and super fun Tiki Caliente.

It was great seeing everyone I don't always get to see,and tho' the idea of playing that close to the pool freaked me out a little at first, it was a great vibe, and the sound up on stage was awesome. Really a nice setting for the band to be playing in. Hopefully it sounded ok out in front.

Really glad that the weather was on our side this year.....PERFECT come night time, and only a little hot during the day. Nothing a dip in the pool or a cool cocktail couldn't cure.

Sad about the Tropics A-Frame incident, but hopefully those dreadful owners will see the value in restoring it, as opposed to tearing it down.
Email them and let them know that it's important that they DO restore it, even tho' they diss us as a community, it's bigger than that. It's an Icon worth fighting for.

Anyway, thanx again Rory and everybody for making this such a great event.

QUICK NOTE : To the dirtbag who backed into Big Bamboo (The Tikiyaki Van) and left without fessing up...Kharma is a b*tch...You'll get yours !

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2011-05-23 21:11 ]

What a wonderful weekend in Palm Springs! Fun people, great music, good shopping, Doug Horne's birthday cake which lasted two days, horse racing in the pool... yes, it just got weirder and weirder. Loved every minute! Thank you, Rory and Travel Lodge!

[ Edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2011-05-23 11:11 ]

had a GREAT time! Cant wait for the rest of the years events! And uhh I think the alcohol got to me and I forgot to take any pictures... oops!... so keep posting if you have them of the hula girls!

CA

see ya in October! and August!! June????

Thank you to Everyone who made it to Tiki Caliente 3. As I am Left with No Voice and Less Braincells then I started with. I must say this was the greatest crowd Yet.
Thanks to all the friends who made it for the first time and thank you to all the regular Tiki Caliente crew that made the new friends feel at home.

This was the first year that we had people from across the U.S. to join our little party.

I hope we showed you a good time and you got your moneys worth.

If there was something that we could improve on please P.M. Me here on Tiki Central.

A Special Thanks to
Doug Horne for the Art
Tiki Ray for the Large Tikis
Big Tiki Dude (Jeff) for always keeping the Vibe right and helping me line up some great talent
Crazy Al for his Tiki Swag and For M.C.ing the Event and being the life of the Party
Everyone who Helped at the gates,security,or helping with check-ins.
The Bands and Vendors
Appletons Rum,Asombroso,Primo Beer,Swank.com,Live Magazine.
And all the Friends that give us a weekend of there time to try and entertain them.

and Last but not least,The Travel Lodge...

They made us feel at home and did a great job dressing the part and making the lobby Very Tiki.

Thank you for helping us tear the roof off the joint!!!!!!!! DIg?

W

Our first time to Tiki Caliente, but we are "tiki fanatics" and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! The weather was perfect for this time of year....the drinks flowed easy....the music was divine....and the vendors were sublime!!! Count us in next spring...a short 300 mile journey from Phoenix...maybe next year we will fly in on Tikiyaki Airlines!!! Mahalo!

What a great weekend. So many new memories: meeting new people, hearing great live music (from bands I knew and didn't know), drinkin cocktails, shopping, and then just relaxing and staying over Sunday with extra time to unwind. Pictures to come when work isn't looming (trip to San Diego this week: hello Bali Hai!).

Thanks to Rory for organizing the party. Now I know what the hype from Caliente 1&2 was all about.

And DJ BigTikiDude: awesome job all weekend. Loved your selections.

New art to frame, new mugs to drink from, new music to listen to...Tiki Caliente isn't done yet!

Kevin

J

Hey where did everyone go ?? (I finally got out of bed at the Travelodge.)

Tiki Caliente isn't supposed to end until tomorrow (Tues) !!

Didn't anyone read Spike's poster ??

Wishful thinking on my part, I guess! I swear that I copy an pasted that date from somewhere... Pretty funny, regardless.

Checking in at TC3

"Hey, take a picture of me with Amy and my new TC3 Doug Horne poster!"

The lovely views from Dr. Z's room

CA

On 2011-05-23 21:51, JOHN-O wrote:

Didn't anyone read Spike's poster ??

Misery loves company.... i Love this! Kirby's on board? mr.tobunga....

[ Edited by: crazy al 2011-05-23 22:50 ]

"Welcome to the room crawlin'!"

"Who farted?"

"It wasn't me."

"Oh my gawd! She's so amazing."

"Hey, my drink is broken."

First of all, welcome to TC TikiCyn. I’m sorry that it had to take a horrible crime for you to write your first post and that your weekend was marred by such a tragedy. I’ve had stuff stolen from me in the past and I know how it feels, its definitely no fun.

Secondly, I want to thank Rory, Crazy Al, BigTikiDude and all the bands and vendors that worked so hard to make Tiki Caliente 3 so much fun. It was our first Tiki Caliente and the vibe was fantastic - we will definitely be coming back! A big thank you as well to all the room crawl hosts and participants – the drinks were amazing. Plus, after 5 years of going to Tiki events, my wife and I finally got to put faces with some of the names on here during the crawl. (We also had a lot of conversations with people whose names I don’t necessarily remember. Things got a little hazy towards the end so I apologize if I see you at Tiki Oasis and go ‘what was your name again?’)

"Twinzer Lens Power....Activated!"

"Backatcha!"

This Event Brought Down the Roof!!!!!!

W

TT

A buncha crawl-aholics (except for Ray that is).

"Hey, we're not open 'til tomorrow, go over to Queen Kamehameha & Tonga Hut's room."

"What the...?"

"I gotta put the dog away."

all fixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJVhDL3ArEo&feature=channel_video_title

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2011-05-24 10:19 ]

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2011-05-24 20:09 ]

Great Video work as always Chris.
Love yer vids.

Rory, what an amazing weekend, Good work buddy.
Can't wait for next years event.

Jeff(btd)

I agree Chris, awesome video. Can't wait for the Saturday Night Sequel.

Does anyone have any pics of the Tikiyaki set ? I've not seen one yet. :(

Was everyone just too hammered by then ?

On 2011-05-24 10:47, tikiyaki wrote:

I have a bunch of pics from your set but they're still on my memory card.

I have pics of your set but the Tropics attorneys have scooped them up for the lawsuit against you guys summoning Pele to put her touch on the A frame at the Caliente Hotel .

if anyone is looking to get a mug go to this link A.S.A.P. and it will be shipped in the morning.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/

I have about 1 case to sell, then after that I will put a couple on Ebay auctions so you will not be locked in at Event Price.

Thanks,

W

Brother of the Tiki Ti Mug ............

On 2011-05-24 10:47, tikiyaki wrote:

I have tons of photos to weed through Jim, please be patient. I'm posting pics around 10 at a time. Haven't even got to Saturday yet, but I will be posting!!!
BTW- I was hammered by then too. :)

[ Edited by: Tonga Tom 2011-05-24 12:02 ]

On 2011-05-24 11:23, Wildsville man wrote:

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/

I have about 1 case to sell,

W

:o

More DDD...

More photos of peoples...

Now that's how you smoke a drink!

Tammy and I had a blast thanks to Wildsville, Jeff and everyone else that made the event happen!!!

Thanks to all the friends both old and new that made our weekend the BEST TIKI EVENT ever!!!!

After reading about someone getting stuff stolen...

When the missus and I were at Pinocchio's for lunch there was a heads up poster on the wall about a couple of the locals who had been stealing stuff from hotel rooms. They had been jailed for it and after they were relesed the thefts started right back up.
The ACE and a couple others in that area had been hit, its not always the hotel staff...
There were quite a few local folks asked to leave the venue.

The Moai are marching westward... FOM FOM FOM FOM

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2011-05-24 13:33 ]

Mahalo to Rory who continues to keep the tiki torch lit on this event and to have the vision of moving it to a new location that embraced the ohana. He actually might have inadvertently saved someones life due to the collapse next door had it been held there. So there you go Rory now you can add divine intervention to your resume. Nah your heads already full of enough delusions of grandeur, so lets thank the tiki gods for their protection and good mana. But seriously ive been to all 3 and have always known Rory would create a flawless tiki filled ambiance. Mahalo to the salt of the earth Big Tiki Dude for keeping the air filled with inspirational cocktail drinking music. Ding Dong Devils always bring the fun and performed a long set. Hula Girls created such an electric energy around the pool Friday night. Pineapple Princess couldn't stay still and she actually was at one point spotted standing on a guys back surfing him....classic. The Insect Surfers were perfect mid day poolside entertainment. The Smokin Menehunes are consistently solid and appreciated. Tikiyaki Orchestra never gets old and really brings a concert feel to every event. We stayed Sunday and the pool scene got real lively during the Insect Surfers with the synchronized pool cannon balls from at least 12 people. Dynotones as BTD says melted your face and brought the cops back out. Sunday night tied the bow on the event with some special quiet moments as the slack key guitarists performed and the sun set in the 80 degree desert sky behind the mountains. Thank you to all the room crawl hosts. Tiki Caliente number one with a bullet.

TT

Hey look, more photos...

"Vees fings aur dewiffus."

"Hey, keep your head off her shoulder!"

Aw how cute, he said each of the straws counted for each drink she consumed that day

Look another cutie...

What the Hell?!?!

"We can't stop here, this is bat country."

A couple more Ding Dong Devils

And now for some Hula Girls....

Now it's time to pogo!

Lost In Paradise: Tiki Caliente III Friday Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJVhDL3ArEo

Mahaloz to Hakalugi who caught my earlier blunder! Cheers!

TT

Wow!!! Where do I start? Rory, thanks again for everything. Looking forward to the next one, and thanks a lot to all the Tiki Caliente crowd who made me feel welcome. The recovery was a bit painful, but that's always a sign of good times. Glad to have been part of such a great event.

T

TC3 was off the hook. Rory every year gets better, even at a new venue. Which by the way the Travelodge & staff were great. Can't wait to go back for TC4. Crazy Al you were a great MC. Big Tiki Dude, the tunes were awesome all weekend. All of the bands sounded great. The bar-b-que by Mama's Soul Food was very good. The Sunday evening slack key duo was perfect ending to a perfect weekend.

Here are few random pictures.
The Host & the MC

Thanks Again,
Mike & Karen

Thanks to those who left kind notes on the background tunes for the weekend.
Especially By Mongoloid below, Wow thanks bruddah.
It's the toughest "easy Job" to do 3 days of 12 hours of music.
I am still trying to recuperate.
and I only had about 4 or 5 drinks a day.

Jeff(btd)

On 2011-05-24 17:05, Mongoloid wrote:
Mahalo to the salt of the earth Big Tiki Dude for keeping the air filled with inspirational cocktail drinking music.

Nice pics TikiPops!
I've got even more Friday pics up my sleeve...

The God of all Hell-fire...

...And the God of all that's Caliente!

Your new promo shot :wink:

Hey Adrian, I managed to get one photo of you!!!

Always lookin' good...

Mobile phone and hand (aka shaka) phone...

"Hey, hold me up."
"No, you hold ME up!"

He's the bad-ass (big) Tiki (dude) DJ, that's why he walks and talks that way...

Bottom of the pool score. Mucho thanks to my pogo posse!

Heavy deals goin' down at TC3

Great photos, Tom! What you and Bonomo do for documenting the 'scene' is so important. Stoked to have you guys doing that so well!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 440 replies