Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai Help

Pages: 1 23 replies

OK,, so I have the stuff, I mix the drink and....... well it's ok but not quite right. I think it's the rum but I know I'm also changing the simple to rock candy syrup for a authentic taste. I've tried with several types of rum and found if you let it "rest" for a minute, the flavors blend better, but what is the most favorite for the Mai Tai?? Suzanne at Forbidden Island made me one( the orig.) and it was just what I think it should taste like.... ideas????????

[ Edited by: ka'lenatiki 2010-09-28 19:10 ]

what recipe are you using?

Need some more details, exactly what are you using?

Crushed ice is essential... don't go makin' that with cubes now.
When friends of mine who make mai-tais for the first time mention it's not all that great, my first question is about the ice.
Seriously.

And yes, you're right, it should smooth out into ecstatic deliciousness as the ice melts a little and everything blends together.

Other than that, like the two before me... we're gonna need to see a list of your ingredients first.

usingthe 2dn version of the TV recpie.
1oz gld rum
1oz drk rum
1/2oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz org. curacao
1/4 oz orgeat
1/4 oz simple syrup
2 cups ice.
Course i keep changing the rum around. i've used Zaya 12yr, barbancourt 10yr, TV rum, d'aristi 10yr etc. The only other thing i've changed was the curacao, Been using a off brand but seems similar

yep crushed ice not cube... even broke down and measured it.

Here is the one I use for classic Mai Tai's, from Beachbum Berry's TV recipe

Recipe: In your shaker pour

1 ounce Rhum Clément VSOP Martinique rum,
1 ounce Appleton Estate Extra dark Jamaican rum;

1 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce orange Curacao;
1/4 ounce orgeat syrup
1/4 ounce sugar syrup.

Add at least 2 cups of crushed ice,
then shake well for around 10 seconds.
Pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass.
Sink your spent lime shell in the drink,
and garnish with a mint sprig.

Are you using a cocktail shaker?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-28 19:54 ]

H

ka'lenatiki, ATP has made some good rum suggestions above. There is something special about a good Martinique rum in a Mai Tai.

Additionally, here's an excellent "How To Make A Mai Tai" video from Martin Cate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZUYP1gn-fY

lol.. I have that vid saved on the home system ;p I got a kick out of it. The appleton is one thing i haven't tried yet. The Martinique is in the cupboard already. I know that the rum can change the flavor a great deal. Just might need to go to the bevmor' for some supplies.

You will want to add Appleton to your inventory, it's called for in so many classic Tiki Cocktails that the rum is practically de rigueur for any exotic rum cocktail enthusiast. Buy Appleton's well priced V/X blend; it makes a great Mai Tai, as well as about 100 other classic Tiki cocktails. If you're feeling particularly flush then do buy the Appleton Extra or 12-Year Old; both make for an extra special Mai Tai when combined with a quality Rum Agricole.

Mahalo,

Craig

J

...another suggestion is to put the spent lime shell in the shaker. The oils from the peel are released a bit and add a bit of depth.

Also, in my experience, using Cointreau in lieu of "regular" triple sec or curaçao, also makes for a tremendous improvement as does homemade orgeat. All the rum suggestions have been good ones, so that'll put you on the right path. However, if you're ever facing a situation where you're likely to be making an ocean of Mai-Tais for a brigade of guests, I suggest you try Bacardi 8 y.o. rum. It won't be THE supreme achievement in Mai-Tais, but it will be very, very nice...and less wallet-eviscerating. (Avg. +/-$20/bottle vs. $35+/bottle...just sayin')

G

The Mai Tai is a drink that truly depends on the quality of it's ingredients to make it great, especially the rums and the orange curacao.

It's been mentioned before, but a good Appleton 12yr old is pretty much a standard. It's the "foundation rum" for the drink.

Then you need the Martinique rum...this is the "showman rum", the one that really makes you lick your lips after every sip. Clement VSOP is a great one, but I personally love the St. James Hors D'age. Holy mother-of-pearl that rum is delicious.

The Orange Curacao is the tricky one, because most of them tend to be too artificial tasting. Clement's Creole Shrubb is about the best I've found so far. Marie Brizard's is okay, but after tasting the Creole Shrubb I'll never go back to MB.

Tastes to vary of course, so take some of the great options in here and mix & match. You'll find true love soon enough!

G

While we're on the topic of Mai Tais...

Any of you guys experimented with adding some LH151 in there somehow? I have two bottles at home, loooove the taste of it...but not a massive fan of the Jet Pilot or Zombie (just too much going on there). But I looooove Mai Tais and I like my drinks a bit on the boozy side.

If I were to add Lemon Hart to the Mai Tai, would i replace one of the rums (Appleton/St.James), split an ounce with one of them, do a floater (hooo boy)

Whaddaya think?

On 2010-10-08 12:49, GeneriKB wrote:

Any of you guys experimented with adding some LH151 in there somehow? I have two bottles at home, loooove the taste of it...but not a massive fan of the Jet Pilot or Zombie (just too much going on there). But I looooove Mai Tais and I like my drinks a bit on the boozy side.

If I were to add Lemon Hart to the Mai Tai, would i replace one of the rums (Appleton/St.James), split an ounce with one of them, do a floater (hooo boy)

Whaddaya think?

I've never used 151 in a Mai Tai, but I have been experimenting with Smith & Cross, combining it with Appleton Reserve or 12 Year for the Jamaican component in my Mai Tai, and it tastes damn good too. Lots of wonderfully funky notes. I hope that S&C make an aged version of their excellent rum someday.

On 2010-10-08 21:28, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

On 2010-10-08 12:49, GeneriKB wrote:

Whaddaya think?

I've never used 151 in a Mai Tai, but I have been experimenting with Smith & Cross, combining it with Appleton Reserve or 12 Year for the Jamaican component in my Mai Tai, and it tastes damn good too. Lots of wonderfully funky notes. I hope that S&C make an aged version of their excellent rum someday.

I went the other way...subbed Smith & Cross for the Appleton 12 Year and mixed it with St. James Hors D'Age. For the curacao component I'm currenty working though a bottle of Creole Shrubb.

I liked the results, it did give the drink a bit more punch without deviating too much from what I like about a Mai Tai. I don't know that I'd up it to a float of 151 though, since I normally stick close to the Trader Vic's recipe.

Now if you're trying to emulate a Bala Hai Mai Tai, let the rum flow and flow!

kevin

A little update on this...I gave it a try with 1oz St. James Hors D'age, .5oz Appleton 12yr, and .5oz LH151.

It's amazing how much of a difference just a half an ounce can make to the taste of a drink. I definitely liked it...was it way better than my original way? Hard to tell, but let's just say I didn't pour it down the sink :) As a matter of fact, I somehow managed to mix up 5 of these bad boys, and apparently I got through 4.5 of them. Found myself sleeping on the couch Saturday morning...my awesome wife gave me a pillow and a bottle of water on the coffee table.

These things hit me like a truck...I went from "Hey this is pretty tasty" to complete blackout passed out. So if you try a 151 mai tai, drink in moderation!!!! :D

On 2010-10-11 12:29, GeneriKB wrote:
A little update on this...I gave it a try with 1oz St. James Hors D'age, .5oz Appleton 12yr, and .5oz LH151.

It's amazing how much of a difference just a half an ounce can make to the taste of a drink. I definitely liked it...was it way better than my original way? Hard to tell, but let's just say I didn't pour it down the sink :) As a matter of fact, I somehow managed to mix up 5 of these bad boys, and apparently I got through 4.5 of them. Found myself sleeping on the couch Saturday morning...my awesome wife gave me a pillow and a bottle of water on the coffee table.

These things hit me like a truck...I went from "Hey this is pretty tasty" to complete blackout passed out. So if you try a 151 mai tai, drink in moderation!!!! :D

Better be careful with that LH151, there's no more of that stuff left out there!

Thanks for all the info! been mixing up back and forth. Appleton.. great change. was already using cointreau instead of the sad Curacao i have ( but dam that can be $$) found out that the wrong lime is a killer if your not watching it. needs to be a ready/ripe lime unlike most in the store. mixed up several with some not quite ready and you sure taste the difference. now if I was squeezing several for a party, they would blend better. Anyone try key limes? Was recommended to me at a trade show my wife and I were at this past weekend.

I was taught by a friend who grew up on a citrus farm how to pick limes, no matter what the season is.

First off, forget about color. What you're really looking for is the skin texture. Only pick limes that are smooth with little to no texture. Don't go for the biggest or the prettiest, just go for the smoothest. He said this means thin skin and more/better juice, and I've found that he's right.

His solution for when you couldn't find smooth limes?
Make a different drink.

Smooth limes then? Thanks!

On 2010-10-23 15:17, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
Smooth limes then? Thanks!

Smooth limes with relatively even color that have a slight springiness when squeezed.

Limes that are overly firm will probably be too dry, limes that feel squishy are probably well past their prime and or have been handled poorly.

The same is true for most citrus, so you can apply the same to oranges, grapefruit, and lemons.

Here's a primer that I wrote on citrus for use in cocktails, if it might be if use to anyone:

http://cincinnaticocktails.com/2010/07/27/essential-cocktail-ingredients-citrus/

Excellent little article... thanks for writing/posting it!
I keep my limes in the crisper, too, but didn't think to let them warm up before using.

J

On 2010-10-23 14:33, CucamongaChango wrote:
I was taught by a friend who grew up on a citrus farm how to pick limes, no matter what the season is.

First off, forget about color. What you're really looking for is the skin texture. Only pick limes that are smooth with little to no texture. Don't go for the biggest or the prettiest, just go for the smoothest. He said this means thin skin and more/better juice, and I've found that he's right.

EXACTLY right. It also helps to squeeze it properly. If you use a reaming sort of juicer (electric or handheld) you are only extracting the juice. You also need to press the lime half somehow to extract the oils from the peel. Those juicers which turn the lime half "inside out" are the best for this. I also deeply score the lime in a cross pattern to maximize juice yield.

HTH someone!

Pages: 1 23 replies