Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

another good February cocktail w/rum

Pages: 1 16 replies

and lots of other stuff too-- in honor of President's Day, the historic Philadelphia Fish-House Punch. Supposedly this stuff was served to and by our founding fathers back in the 1700's. (Google search will reveal plenty of articles about it).

This will serve two:

2 oz Jamaican dark rum
2 oz apricot brandy
4 oz cognac or brandy
2 and 2/3 oz lemon juice
4 oz cold water
8 tsp sugar

Stir on the rocks. Very strong. George Washington supposedly had this punch brought to the thirsty troops.

I made a huge batch of Fish House Punch for Christmas dinner. It is really strong as it's mostly booze but quite tasty.

I figured that since the booze would really stand out in this one, I'd try to use good ingredients. I used Appleton VX which is a bit lighter than what's called for but I didn't want to ruin the flavor with Myers's. I used Landy cognac instead of brandy and I actually found real peach brandy. Apparently the peach brandy that would have been used in this punch has pretty much disappeared. I forget the brand but the one I used is made in California and was really expensive. There are recommendations for other peach brandies that are acceptable substitutes. IIRC, Marie Brizard makes one. Quite worth it to make this in a big batch, let it sit for a few hours, and serve over a big ice block.

I've had no problem making this with Myers; the lemon is still the predominant flavor.

I use the Brizard apricot brandy (Aprie) whenever a recipe calls for peach brandy.

Haven't made this w/cognac yet, will have to try that next time.

H

On 2011-01-26 13:09, thePorpoise wrote:
I use the Brizard apricot brandy (Aprie) whenever a recipe calls for peach brandy.

Just curious, is this because of an availability issue or just a taste preference?

MM

Unfortunately, the peach brandy in the original Fish House Punch was the real deal: actual aged peach brandy, not the brandy-based liqueur we're stuck with today (though Marie Brizard is one of the best of those).

My favorite FHP recipe is the one printed by Ted "Dr. Cocktail" Haigh in Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails. It can be found online here:

http://imbibemagazine.com/In-The-Magazine/Philadelphia-Fish-House-Punch

The addition of green tea and maraschino (and dialing down the peach brandy/liqueur) really makes it shine.

On 2011-01-26 13:45, Mr. Moto wrote:
The addition of green tea and maraschino (and dialing down the peach brandy/liqueur) really makes it shine.

I'll have to try this version as I have only tried Jerry Thomas' recipe (similar to the one above). I always thought it odd to add tea to a punch.

no, I havent done any peach brandy taste comparisons. I just havent felt like springing for a bottle of peach brandy when I already have the Apry.

Interestingly, a quick search just now located an article re folks trying to recreate George Washington's peach brandy recipe:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/19/AR2010101904856.html

MM

Cool article! I'd love to try some of the aged stuff. It was also supposedly used in some of the original mint julep recipes.

On 2011-01-26 13:56, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

I'll have to try this version as I have only tried Jerry Thomas' recipe (similar to the one above). I always thought it odd to add tea to a punch.

I did, too, but I've learned by reading David Wondrich's wonderful new book, Punch, that it was a common ingredient in 18th- and 19th-century punches.

H

On 2011-01-26 14:24, Mr. Moto wrote:
Cool article! I'd love to try some of the aged stuff. It was also supposedly used in some of the original mint julep recipes.

I did, too, but I've learned by reading David Wondrich's wonderful new book, Punch, that it was a common ingredient in 18th- and 19th-century punches.

You'll also find tea in the punch that Martin Cate recently created for his punch symposium at Tiki Oasis. Not green though, black.
Recipe here:
http://www.tradertiki.com/tiki-oasis-10th-anniversary-punch/

I've only used tea in making hot toddies.

Anybody found a good use for Zen or other tea liqueur?

On 2011-01-26 13:59, thePorpoise wrote:
no, I havent done any peach brandy taste comparisons. I just havent felt like springing for a bottle of peach brandy when I already have the Apry.

Interestingly, a quick search just now located an article re folks trying to recreate George Washington's peach brandy recipe:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/19/AR2010101904856.html

Saw that yesterday, too. The peach brandy I bought is Kuchan and it's damn near $40 for half a bottle. Kinda gets lost in the Fish House as it has delicate peach flavors unlike the flavored liqueurs. Pretty good by itself chilled.

On 2011-01-26 14:24, Mr. Moto wrote:

I just got that book too. With all of my experimenting, I'm going to have some pretty drunk neighbors. : )

Thanks for posting this!
I've been looking into this recipe over the past week and have been hard-pressed to find anyone that can reliably comment on its flavor (and whether or not it is a good drink by today's standards). I should have thought to come to TC sooner!

I've found a number of recipes, many of which call for cognac (which the original post includes, but some of the other linked recipes do not).

Some of the more reliably sourced recipes include:

Food & Wine: Philadelphia Fish House Punch

Epicurious: Fish House Punch

Esquire: Fish House Punch

[ Edited by: Capt. R.H. Falernum 2011-02-03 14:21 ]

Bump, as this President's Day cocktail deserves some President's Day love.

Because I favor specific brands in recipes, blends of various rums and using cane syrup in favor of sugar, someone please try this and let me know if it's any good :wink: -KK

4 oz (filtered) cold water
4 oz Gran Duque d'Alba brandy
2 2/3 oz (fresh) lemon juice
2 oz apricot brandy (anyone know a great apricot brandy label?)
2 oz Depaz cane syrup
1 oz Appleton 12yr. rum
1/2 oz El Dorado 15 yr. rum
1/2 oz Zaya 12 yr. rum
1 Tsp. Cruzan Black Strap rum
1-2 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters No. 6

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-20 23:45 ]

On 2011-02-20 23:36, Kahuna Kevin wrote:
Because I favor specific brands in recipes, blends of various rums and using cane syrup in favor of sugar, someone please try this and let me know if it's any good :wink: -KK

2 oz Depaz cane syrup
1 oz Appleton 12yr. rum
1/2 oz Zaya 12 yr. rum

Scroll up to see the info on the peach brandy (not apricot). FWIW, the "real" peach brandy that I used is hardly noticeable with all of the rum and lemon; it's great on it's own. I would consider using a peach liqueur instead (Marie Brizard). Although, I did let my mixture sit for 24 hours with a few sliced fresh peaches and it pushed the peach flavor nicely up front.

Also, I'd skip the bitters or at least compare without. IIRC, you may have too much peach brandy. Anyhow, Happy President's Day!

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-20 23:45 ]

On 2011-02-20 23:36, Kahuna Kevin wrote:

2 oz Depaz cane syrup
1 oz Appleton 12yr. rum
1/2 oz Zaya 12 yr. rum

Ask and ye shall receive, sort of. Here's what I mixed up tonite por Dia de los Presidentes:

4 oz cold Publix seltzer water [had no spring water in the house, the seltzer added nice mouth-feel]
4 oz Courvoisier VSOP cognac [only bc I got this at a 40% discount. usually i use brandy]
2 2/3 oz (fresh) lemon juice [cut this to 2 oz, bc I had to use a rum/lime mixture as well (see below)]
2 oz apricot brandy [my Brizzard only had 1.5 oz left. had to use DeKuyper Peachtree for remaining 1/2 oz]
2 oz rock candy syrup
2 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum [with some Lemon Hart 151 mixed in, this was all the dark rum i had left in the house, and not counting about 1/3 oz more or less of accidentally added lime]
4 dashes Fee Bros Peach Bitters [bc wtf else am i gonna do with these peach bitters? and to make up for the atrocity of having to use Peachtree]

stirred w/ice, added a mint sprig garnish for the hell of it. the VSOP made this drink smoother than usual, and the peachtree/bitters added a stronger peach component than the way i usually make it. i call this battlefield mixology, but it was delish! (but powerful!)

Pages: 1 16 replies