Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

official tiki caliente 4 link (may 18-20 palm springs,ca)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 345 replies

On 2012-04-28 18:18, HB TIKI wrote:
Rory, For Us Senior citizens and tiki AARP members do you offer a discount on the mug package. That would show a lot of Tiki Ohana. Thought I would ask. Thanks HB TIKI.

When the Senior Citizens stop eating up my Social Security I will give them a special discount. But at this point $45 for all this I think is pretty good.

Also,

if any of the fan's of hawaiian/tiki need some new swag check out what our vendors have to offer:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42794&forum=12&3

Mini Print and Pendant Set

At 2p.m. Friday May 18th we will release 15 print/pendant/party set's

Each pendant will be numbered to match the numbered print

and will this pendant it will give you access to a smaller private get together with one of our sponsors...........be a V.I.P.

The Print is 8x10 inch and created by Doug Horne...........only 30 are created and only 15 are packaged with pendants
The Pendant in Orange is created by Tiki Ray and only 15 were created in this color

Set is $40 Cash (released at the merchandise counter in check in lobby at 2p.m.)

the Last 15 Solo Prints will be $20 each ($15 will Mug purchase) Looks great behind this years official matching mug
Must have mug with you or purchase it at time of purchase to get the discount.

Number #1 will be framed at a higher price of $60

The countdown is on to tiki caliente!
martini kings coming for 2 big shows with vocalist mr. sonny moon saturday evening may 19th

On 2012-04-27 20:53, belinda wrote:
how about food vendors?
my beau gets REAL grumpy when hungry

Sorry for the wait on the reply but a lot of this was still in the works.

Big Mammas is going to be on grounds with Pulled Pork and Pulled Chicken and Hot Dog's.

Possible Hawaiian Shave Ice on Grounds

and we are working a deal with several locations (Walking or Driving) that you get discounts with wristbands.

I will have names closer to the day.......Hope that helps

T

Rory -

Hopefully will be seeing El Mirasol on that list! Yum!

Andrew

Rory, How about a couple of Food Trucks, They can park right in front & its
nice to have a choice of eats, Plus you don't want a bunch of drunk Polypopsters driving?

I am with you, I want to keep people on grounds or at least walking distance. Like the Lyons that is right there in the same lot as the travel lodge.

Food Trucks are hard,unlike orange county and L.A. we don't have a lot of food trucks out here because there isn't a lot needed.....a.e. job sites and such.

But We have 4 great breakfast places within 3 blocks and then food on grounds after that.

W

T

Rory -

Thanks for all the hard work.

T

Two weeks and counting until Tiki Caliente. This will be my first Caliente and I am totally excited. I have heard nothing but GREAT things about Caliente. Rory's approach to keeping this a smaller, more intimate event is very much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing some of the California Ohana I missed on my trip out last November. I will be arriving on Wednesday for a quiet day or two before the event.

I will be staying in Socal for the week after Caliente - already have a couple of events lined up - but always looking for more ways to visit and get to know the Ohana.

Thanks to Rory and EVERYBODY who is working on this event!

Aloha and Mahalo,

Tiki Bob

I like the way you get to know the Ohana tikibob ^ stylin'

A fast History of this years Mug and shot glass set for Tiki Caliente 4.

Much like the first mug we produced that payed respect to the large tiki overseeing the Caliente Tropics Pool

We thought we would use the very unknown and under loved tiki torches from the Don The Beachcombers here in Palm Springs as our Muse.

relighting the torches

Many people drive by that building on North Palm Canyon and never look up to see those torches still standing proud but with no life anymore.
As the Building is a wreck most of the torches still stand. As the new owners are forced to take off the wood shingles on the roof to meet new fire code you wonder if the torches will be next.

here is a link to some old photo's from the building

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=30245&forum=5&start=120&hilite=palm%20springs%20don%20the%20beachcomber

So this is our way of keeping a part of Palm Springs History alive and putting a spot light back on the basic functional art that are these torches.

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: wildsville man 2012-05-02 20:13 ]

T

Rory -

I had to google map what you were talking about. You are right, I've driven past that location a lot and never even noticed the tiki heads. Perhaps we should all go and give a toast in front of the location (jk)

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=1101+n+palm+canyon+dr+palm+springs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80db1bc7ac31c369:0xf45534e7357e1a15,1101+N+Palm+Canyon+Dr,+Palm+Springs,+CA+92262&gl=us&ei=SgmiT6GsAuWuiQL_qsyPBw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

These guy's are still hanging out just watching the town change time and time again. Wanting to be relevant again.

** Don't forget to join in and be a part of the Crawl and Parties, We're still looking for more people to share in their cocktail mixing skills and *HOST * a Room for the Crawl. *

Sign up here ---> XX *** http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?forum=17&topic=42151

another piece of Palm Springs Tiki History finding some new life after years sitting broken down and alone.

This was the Tiki Spa which is walking distance from the travel lodge if you guy's want to do a tiki tour during Caliente weekend.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120503/NEWS01/205020375/New-Michael-s-House-Palm-Springs-offers-path-sobriety

B

On 2012-04-28 08:18, Tiki-ESP wrote:

how about food vendors?

Last year they did have a food vendor (doing hot dogs/hamburgers, etc) on site. There are also a couple of restaurants within easy (
Lyon's English Steakhouse and Grille (right across from travelodge)
http://www.lyonsenglishgrille.com/

and the El Mirasol Mexican restaurant was a top recommended place by locals and it did not disappoint. This too is just on other side on Palm Canyon from Travelodge.
http://www.elmirasolrestaurants.com/

If you are vegetarian there is a drive down to Native Food's Cafe. This is inside a plaza just a 1/2 mile or so east of Travelodge.

or do what we and several other people did - order out Pizza. Matchbox, another recommendation, has a wide variety of choices in pizza. This in the downtown area, don't recall if they deliver because we picked ours up. I do not recommend NYPD pizza because they offered poor customer service.
http://www.matchboxpalmsprings.com/

---------------- wow thanks!!

B

On 2012-05-01 11:42, Wildsville man wrote:

how about food vendors?

Sorry for the wait on the reply but a lot of this was still in the works.

Big Mammas is going to be on grounds with Pulled Pork and Pulled Chicken and Hot Dog's.

Possible Hawaiian Shave Ice on Grounds

and we are working a deal with several locations (Walking or Driving) that you get discounts with wristbands.

I will have names closer to the day.......Hope that helps

very helpful; getting discounts would be awesome so more of our travel fund can go to the beverages

[ Edited by: belinda 2012-05-03 22:41 ]

Thumbs down on NYPD pizza, We tried it last year & was very disappointed.

Sonny Moon will be crooning with the MARTINI KINGS on saturday night at caliente. 2 big shows!

There's a good breakfast place on Tahquitz Canyon Road called Pinocchio's in the Desert...they serve a decent Bloody Mary the size of a fishbowl, and super cheap bottomless mimosas. Good food too!

Pinocchios is a special place for me. Great food! Great drinks! I met my dear friends Mr.and Mrs. Wickedly! We can have a caravan!

Kuke

Also, Elmer's in the other direction about 4 blocks from the Travel Lodge. That place has been there forever and I went there last year on Monday after the show with Big TikiDude and Crazy Al and they had some wicked german pancakes.

W

T

On 2012-05-03 23:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Thumbs down on NYPD pizza, We tried it last year & was very disappointed.

Completely agree with Atomic Tiki Punk on NYPD Pizza. At last year's Caliente, we saw people getting their pizza delivered and decided to order ourselves. On the phone the employee said that it would be an 1 hour to 2 hours for pizza delivery because they were busy. But, if we picked up the pizza it would be a lot faster. Ok, so we place the order with a 1/2hr time given for pizza pick-up. The following occurred at their restaurant:

• Our order wasn't even started yet when we got there. 45 minutes later it was done. This was after waiting the prescribed 1/2 hr wait for it to be ready. Also, with having other people who walked up, placed an order, and walked out with order in that time.
  • Employee kept forgetting the name on the order. Sam? Carl? Pat?
  • Employees didn't seem to care about what was happening.
  • Pizza wasn't great at all. I should have just eaten the cardboard box instead.

When we drive by their I cringe, because it was such a pain in the a##.

On a trip out to Modernism Week our tour guide was giving a list of recommendations for eating out. When it came to pizza he recommended Matchbox. We tried that and the recommendation was well worth it!

http://www.matchboxpalmsprings.com/

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-05-04 12:43 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-05-04 12:46 ]

I 2nd MATCHBOX.
Anytime I'm in PS, I'll head there for pizza.

We went to Pinocchio's with Jason last year & it is very good, Great Tip Jason!

Pinocchio's
134 E Tahquitz Canyon Way
Palm Springs, CA 92262
(760) 322-3776
http://www.pinocchiops.com

If you want to nosh where the Rat Pack went for Deli
you went to Sherman's Deli

401 E. Tahquitz Canyon Way
Palm Springs, CA 92262
(760) 325-1199
7:00 am to 9:00 pm daily
http://www.shermansdeli.com

Another real good Deli just down the street from the Travel Lodge is
Manhattan in the Desert, Very good Pastrami!

Manhattan in the Desert
2665 E Palm Canyon
Palm Springs, CA 92262
(760) 322-3354

Elmer's in Palm Springs
1030 E. Palm Canyon Drive
Palm Springs, CA 92264

Hours:
Daily: 6am - 9pm
(760) 327-8419

T

Shermans great food. Just prepare for a wait, depending upon when you arrive. Because it is just that popular.

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-05-04 13:16 ]

GT

"The Falls" has Great steaks and lobster, I suggest cabbing it, Oh and the smoking martini's are very good!

MN

In Downtown Palm Springs I like LuLu's for breakfast. Only five minutes north (1.5 miles) at S. Palm Canyon & Arenas.
http://www.lulupalmsprings.com/

johns in palm springs on 111.
cheap, good, fast and a dinner vibe.

Some of the merchandise is showing up at the house now so it feels like christmas in caliente for me.........Can't wait to see some old friends and make some new ones in 2 weeks.....

I as staying home tonight and doing some quality control testing. First of all the drink taste the same in the Brown Mug as it do's in the Orange one.
Also it do's hold my 11 oz PALM SPRINGS PUNCH......

Also, The wristband has held up for over 3 weeks now with day-to-day usage

W

Cheers

Sweet
Can't wait

Without having to read this whole thread, if I want to go down for the day, How do I go about getting a pass?

open to the public from 10am-6pm. After that see the D,J. or go to the Tiki Caliente desk for wristband sales. (Friday do's not have a day time pass)
Saturday night only would be $25 for a one day wristband.....

Thanks for the Question and I hope that helps,
Rory

Thank you, yes, very helpful info! I might just have to go check it out!

HT

To commemorate Tiki Caliente 4 and honor the founder of the event,I framed a picture of the WILDSVILLE MAN.

Actually that is pretty brilliant of an Idea HB.............

Peep's of Caliente this will be the last week to get in on the fun. Wristbands and rooms will go off sale in a couple of days so we can focus on the group that is already on board. We are trying to give you a quality product at a quality price and make sure we keep the size big enough to set a party atmosphere but small enough so you can enjoy the show.

If you have never been to Tiki Caliente...........Join the De-Evolution

Things you should know and will make your stay at Tiki Caliente better.

1. Sunscreen!!!!!!!!!!! The stronger the better
    2, Bring a folding beach chair in case you can't find one by the pool
  2. Don't be a tool and wake up early and put a towel on a beach chair and claim it without using it........bad karma
  3. Don't bring your own booze into the gated pool area. It takes a lot of paperwork and dealing with the city to have a liquor license brought on grounds.
  4. Have CASH!!! most vendors and the Bar will take cash only!!!!!
  5. PROTECT your Stuff.....Don't leave things laying out
  6. Watch out for one another and treat each other with respect.
  7. Pace yourself!!!!!!!!!!! this is long weekend and we want you to enjoy it all,not destroy yourself on Friday to hide out on Saturday.
  8. Have Fun.......you should never have to leave the grounds if you don't want to,but otherwise there is a lot of great stuff that is within walking distance.

See you all in a little over a week

W

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: wildsville man 2012-05-08 09:55 ]

T

Don't forget to bring your safari hats too!

On 2012-05-04 09:20, Jason Wickedly wrote:
There's a good breakfast place on Tahquitz Canyon Road called Pinocchio's in the Desert...they serve a decent Bloody Mary the size of a fishbowl, and super cheap bottomless mimosas. Good food too!

can't wait!

Partying so hard on Friday that your useless for the rest of the weekend = Amateurs!
And you will be mocked!

And Planking is so 2011!
This year its "Human Statue while holding a cocktail" ing.....
get with the times people.

Rory,

you forgot,
No running into a fire extinguisher housing on the wall of the motel,
breaking yer nose, bleed all over the place, then go party more 30 min. later.

Jeff(btd)

On 2012-05-04 09:02, martini kings wrote:

Sonny Moon will be crooning with the MARTINI KINGS on saturday night at caliente. 2 big shows!

This is what I'm waiting for! What a swell party this will be.

T

Cheap insurance . Stay hydrated !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spend $3.00 and put a case of waters in your room . You can buy rum drinks all weekend but Ive seen too many folks not drinking waters in that heat mixed with alcohol and they drop hard and fast . Just a suggestion .

Good advice Ray,
don't wanna crash n burn.

Jeff(btd)

SF

Original Doug Horne art. Pencil on paper with handmade paper.

This one is only available at Tiki Caliente and only in my booth.

See ya soon!

K
kirby posted on Tue, May 8, 2012 8:19 PM

I will have as usual pendants,Masks,and wall hangings here are a couple I have been working on!!
Tiki Pendants of the Pacific maps

Tikis

masks and wall hangins

I will also have Rumpus Room T-shirts and other cools stuff. Stop by the room vending area and say hi!!

[ Edited by: kirby 2012-05-10 08:21 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 345 replies