Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

official tiki caliente 4 link (may 18-20 palm springs,ca)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 345 replies

All the bands were great and I really dug the Sand Devils and Slacktone (who again played my request of the mellow "Avalon Slip"...thanks!). The Desert Grog from the Tonga Hut Bar was delicious and sold out early. Rory and crew did an excellent job of making sure everyone was having a good time. Thanks to Bigtikidude for starting the day with the Jim Thomas cd and playing some Bambi Molesters. One of my favorite events.....except the heat. I would be willing to pay more to move this to a cooler time of year.

plus 1
for earlier, cooler.
like March.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

You can't find a hotel that would let you buy it out during season. Also the price would be almost triple, There is a very fine line of when the show can be done,pre and post season. Even May is hard because School still takes place at the beginning of May and a Holiday weekend at the end of May when people usually have other plan's.

Weather is always hit or Miss. This weekend is a huge cool down here in Palm Springs so we just missed out.

But thats why it's Tiki CALIENTE!!!!!!! Dig?

Also if we had the show during the season all the wanna bee's from the Ace and tourist would be trying to hang out and probably destroy the vibe I'm going for.

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2012-05-24 18:38 ]

All of us at the Zen Tiki Lounge had a blast at Tiki Caliente. Seeing all of you at the room party was the top of our weekend. We hope you listen to the Zen Tiki Lounge LIVE podcast from TC4 and join the fun each week from wherever you are.

And for the recipes to Ginger's Passion and The Luckubus.....click the link below.

http://www.zentikilounge.com

[ Edited by: Sunshine Tiki 2012-05-25 00:27 ]

We had another amazing time at Caliente this year! The vibe, as always, was perfect, the bands sounded great and the room crawl drinks were fantastic. Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to put this on – Rory, the room crawl hosts, the bands and the vendors. See you all there again next year!

I had the best time! Even with the melting heat on Saturday and Sunday, at least we had adequate AC and the pools to cool off in.
Had great food at Lyons and a tour of all the art there, ACES, Elmer's giant pancakes, Manhattan in the Desert. Wonderful music and bands were all great! Especially loved seeing Sonny Moon perform with The Martini Kings (swoon!), Got a map at the Visitor's Center and did a self-guided tour of mid-century architecture in the area (except Bob Hope's house... what's up with that map?). Went up in the Aerial Tram on Sunday and had a nice little hike in the pines.
And what about amazing art and vendors? I came home with gorgeous original pieces from Doug Horne and Eric October, plus a vintage dress, a concrete mask (as opposed to cement overshoes), and a fab necklace by Happy Chi.
Went to a couple of the funnest room parties EVAR, I love my wild and crazy pals!
Combine all that with fun people, old and new friends and simply THE BEST HOST. Rory was meeting, greeting, entertaining, and enjoying the party! All while making sure we all were well served and enjoying ourselves.
Thanks Rory! What a swell party that was! Can't wait for next year.
X's and O's,
Kiki v.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2012-05-29 12:22 ]

H

I thought this was the best Tiki Caliente to date (and I've been to them all)! The weather was not as hot as it was in previous years so I was happy for that:) This event has such a nice vibe to it and is just big enough where you can meet new people yet small enough where you can hang with all you friends and bump into them all weekend long :) I had a blast -- can't wait for next year!

Mahalo to Rory for running a great event and thanks again to all those who hosted rooms on the crawl! Can't wait 'til next year.

O
Otto posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2012 1:27 AM

Great news for Tiki fans and lovers of Mid Century architecture!!

While you are in Palm Springs be sure to visit the Royal Hawaiian Estates building. Keep in mind it is a private residence apartment building though.

It is right behind the Caliente tropics Hotel and a major attraction for those visiting the Tiki Caliente event

http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/royal_hawaiin.html

Thanks for the information OTTO.

You can also see this photo I took today at the Old Don the Beachcombers in Palm Springs.

It's Like I saw the future with the mug color from Tiki Caliente 4

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 345 replies