Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

official tiki caliente 4 link (may 18-20 palm springs,ca)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 345 replies

Looking forward to seeing everyone and enjoying some great bands! We wont be up til Saturday; Save some fun for us!

Is it possible to buy a wristband at the hotel on friday night or sat morning or is this sold out? I'm just not sure if I can make it or not. And does anyone know if the hotel is sold out yet? Thanks!

Important last minute information************************************

As an Extra Bonus for people staying on grounds only................................

The main Building has been closed for the last week to re-paint and spruce up the pool area for the event so the building has been vacant,and since there is know one checking out..........

The Travel Lodge will allow early check-in on Friday starting at 10a.m..................this should help with no bottlenecking of people waiting in line.

Also, the Travel Lodge Does have some rooms left but they DO NOT COME WITH WRISTBANDS.

DO NOT DRIVE DOWN TO PALM SPRINGS THINKING YOU WILL GET IN WITHOUT A WRISTBAND,BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT. DON'T WAIST YOUR TIME.

As I am VERY BUSY setting up the event and don't want people calling or texting me,I will offer the following

SEND a text to (949)463-6087

and If I have wristbands left I will confirm and hold one under the name..........the cost will be $65 CASH each wristband.

do not come down and think you have a wristband held if I did not text you back with a confirmation.

This is for Wed/Thursday only................If I do not confirm with you then we are SOLD OUT.

Thank you for understanding my situation that I need to tend to people on grounds vs. the last min party guy.

W

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: wildsville man 2012-05-16 13:58 ]

Thanks for the info Rory, I appreciate it! The reason I asked is I may have to work on Sat, so that's why I was asking if I could pay "at the door". If I can get out of work, I'll let you know, thanks! If not, I hope you all have a great time!

On 2012-05-16 14:03, Enchanted Tiki Guy wrote:
Thanks for the info Rory, I appreciate it! The reason I asked is I may have to work on Sat, so that's why I was asking if I could pay "at the door". If I can get out of work, I'll let you know, thanks! If not, I hope you all have a great time!

Hope you can make it,but let me know A.S.A.P.

This wan't just in response to your question......every year by phone blows up when I finally get to sit back and enjoy my 8 months worth of efforts.

I unplug.............Friday

Join the De-Evolution

Line up of Entertainment and Times for the event,
Thurs. to Sun.

Thurs. May 17th
John Niera (Slack Key Guitar by the Pool)
I assume this will be 4 to 6pm ish, Correct Rory?

Fri. May 18th

• 2p.m.The Tonga Hut Bar will be open for cocktails
  • 4:45p.m. the kick off toast will take place on main stage (Have a drink in hand to kick off Tiki Caliente 4)
  • 5p.m.-5:45p.m. The Deadbeat Daddies take the stage for first set
  • 6:20p.m.-7:00p.m. Second Set
    *7:45p.m.-8:30 Hula Girls Hit the Stage for first Set
    *9:15p.m.-10:00p.m. Hula Girls Second Set

Saturday May 19th

• Noon-1p.m. Smok”in Menehunes first set
  • 2p.m.-3p.m. Smok’in Menehunes second set.
  • 4p.m.-4:45p.m. Sand Devils First Set
  • 5:30p.m.-6:15p.m. Sand Devils Second Set
  • 7:30p.m.-8:15p.m. Martini Kings and Sonny Moon first Set
  • 8;45p.m.-10p.m. Martini Kings and Sonny Moon Second Set

Sun. May 20th (please confirm Rory)
Slacktone Noon to 2 pm
Mitch Chang and Kimo (Slack key Hawiian tunes-by the pool)
4pm to 6pm

• Jeff “Big Tiki Dude” will be Spinning Cd’s between all bands
    Till 11p.m. Every Night.

You KNOW you wanna stay on Sunday and chill
and not fight the traffic back home.
(Do It!)
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Does anyone have any extra room in their rides to Tiki Caliente on Friday? I'm in Studio City and would love to get a jump on the festivities instead of waiting 'til evening time for my original ride. Hoping to leave late morning/early afternoon.  I'll pour your first Loquat Collins of the day if you can get me there. 

GT

We asked Rory, If we can give a raffel prize or such!

Rory:

GoGo I would Love one.......
Something we can give for best Drink or Decorations.

We need these people with pool side rooms to deck out those patio's to set the vibe for the show and a cool prize from GoGo Tiki would be a show stopper.

We are offering up, A one of a kind "Beachcomber Lamp" Comes with a $75 "Deadly Nightshades" Custom fiberglass lampshade, This is the only one ever made and never to be made again! So decorate those rooms up! This is our favorite multi-day event, We can't wait, Cheers! Gogo and Dani:

I have two wrist bands reserved that we can not use now, so who needs a couple?
you can get them at the travel lodge starting Friday at check in
you can just pay the check in folks $42.00 Each I may need to show my ID at the check in for you to pick em up
no problem, Just PM me if you are interested.

On 2012-05-16 14:43, bigtikidude wrote:
Slacktone Noon to 2 pm
4pm to 6pm

Till 11p.m. Every Night.

(Do It!)

Jeff(btd)

Sunday afternoon and evening was a huge highlight of last year's event for me. I've been looking forward to that since the end of TIki Caliente 3. Feet in the pool watching the sunset beats driving home on Sunday. Strongly recommended if you can swing it.

kevin

On 2012-05-16 22:28, heylownine wrote:

On 2012-05-16 14:43, bigtikidude wrote:
Slacktone Noon to 2 pm
4pm to 6pm

Till 11p.m. Every Night.

(Do It!)

Jeff(btd)

Sunday afternoon and evening was a huge highlight of last year's event for me. I've been looking forward to that since the end of TIki Caliente 3. Feet in the pool watching the sunset beats driving home on Sunday. Strongly recommended if you can swing it.

kevin

Kevin,
you 2 have the right state of mind.
even if you have to be back to work on monday, stay till later, and chill.
Then drive home after 6 or have dinner in PS and hit the road at 8 or 9 pm.
I usually go to La Casuelas http://www.lascasuelas.com/
in the middle of Downtown PS. that place is OLD SCHOOL.

heading out in a few hours,
see ya'll out there.
stop by the DJ booth and say Hi, make a request,
and check out some of the cds I have for sale.

Jeff(btd)

P.S. I'm going to lunch at Tylers burgers http://www.tylersburgers.com/
at Noon today if anybody wants to Join me.

Jeff(btd)

rory thanks for giving ma the inspiration for my new band "the last minute party guys".

EJ

The Mrs. and I are getting ready to head out the door to go to the airport. Looking forward to meeting all of you and making new friends. Tiki Caliente here we come!!

T

24 hours till Tiki Caliente!!

This year sans rapture!

ESP you didn't get raptured? I thought everyone at last years did..........you mean
I have been walking around all year thinking I was in a better place? well just fuck!
Now I am getting drunk as soon as I get there.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-05-17 16:24 ]

We have been here for a few hours and already we have had a blast. We spent a relaxing time in the pool and met up with one friend after another and I finally got to meet CY. Tomorrow will be crazy fun. Say hi if you see us, Wendy-danlovestikis

B

On 2012-05-16 13:46, Wildsville man wrote:
Important last minute information************************************

As an Extra Bonus for people staying on grounds only................................

The main Building has been closed for the last week to re-paint and spruce up the pool area for the event so the building has been vacant,and since there is know one checking out..........

The Travel Lodge will allow early check-in on Friday starting at 10a.m..................this should help with no bottlenecking of people waiting in line.

-------------------- i called today to ask about early check in & they said to call back friday morning

Just back from Caliente 4, and it was great! Rory did an Amazing job, the bands, the music, the vendors.. I had a great time! The Tonga Hut was honored to host the bar! Thank you Marie for all your hard word!

Spending time with great friends is what it's all about!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-05-20 21:22 ]

The Tonga Hut bar was "Super Top Notch Okey Dokey" Big thanks to Marie, Jon Paul, Jeremy & Amy for Top Notch Cocktails
& Ninja security skills, slugging it out with the heat so all of us can have a nice time

Big Tiki Dude for setting a perfect musical mood & one of those magical moments listening to the Martini Kings under a starry sky
80 degree weather & the best group of friends, Perfection!

Rory we loved your Caliente Event. It was more fun than we could have imagined. We hope to be able to attend every year.

Here are some photos of our fun hook-ups. This is like a meet and greet if you haven't tied the names to faces in the past. Cheers, Wendy and Dan

Dan and I celebrating our 34 wedding anniversary with this trip to Caliente.

A bunch of us found each other at the Palm Springs Street Fair on Thursday. This is Tiki Bob and Dan.

Joanne with a cute dog. I'm not sure who is cuter!

Dawn Fraizer - Sophista-tiki and KikivonTiki Karrol Baker with Dan. It was really nice to have such a peaceful visit before the mad party began.

Max, Wendy and my newest friend Tavarua Tiki.

Atomic Chick - Caren with her new Elvis Bob mug.

Wendy with Atomic Tiki Punk, I've got his face memorized so I'd know him anywhere.

hang10tiki and Eric October with all of Eric's wonderful art.

GoGo and Danny two of the dearest people you could ever meet. We appreciate having them as friends and their beautiful ceramics in our collection.

Wendy and Tiki G. He owns the first topless girl in red skirt that I made in clay. After I sent it off to him I decided to make the Zombie Torch.

For my anniversary gift Dan and I picked out this wonderful painting of The Place of Refuge by Amy Swenson. We made a trip there and thought her painting brought back wonderful memories.

I got to meet CY. He's posted on my thread and look at all the wonderful creative tikis he carved and brought down from Portland Oregon. We just talked to him he is close by on his trek home but alas he's not dropping by.

bacvtech and Mary live very close to us and we had more fun visits at their booth.

Crazy Al and Dan (who scored another great mug)

MadDogMike and Wendy. He is the sweetheart that you all think he is. It's great that he has two grandchildren who can carry on the sweetness.

Mr. and Mrs. Elroy Art of Portland Oregon with John Moulder in the middle. John's making wonderful mugs. We got one of his new Sneaky Tikis.

Wendy, Jama, Joanne just out having a great time.

Wendy with Sabu the Coconut Boy.

I was sad that I missed taking a photo of every person there but I'll steal a few when they get posted here.

I need a Rory photo. He needs his voice to return from Frog Island.

Thank you Rory and everyone who came up to meet us. We had a blast. Cheers again, Wendy and Dan

TM

On 2012-05-21 13:15, danlovestikis wrote:

MadDogMike and Wendy. He is the sweetheart that you all think he is. It's great that he has two grandchildren who can carry on the sweetness.

agreed. Mad Dog Mike is like the patron saint of tiki...every time I see him, I smile.

Would like to chime in and thank Rory for all this hard work. Had a great time and will definitely be back.
Nice to experience the "mellower" side of Tiki events...

Thank you to everyone who came out to Palm Springs to enjoy the weekend at out little Tiki Event, I couldn't be happier with the Guest selection ,Vendors,Entertainment,Sponsors and the Employees at the Travel Lodge.

there truly was a family feel to the show with almost no posers in the mix.

If it stayed like this next year i would be 100% satisfied.

It was so strange to be back to the hotel this morning and just see fragments of the Event left and watching the stage being taken away.

Thank you to everyone for making the end result so positive and enjoyable.

(Finding the Set list from Sonny Moon and the Martini Kings sitting on the grass this morning seemed like finding part of Tiki History already)

T
TikiG posted on Mon, May 21, 2012 8:32 PM

Mel and I had a fantastic time at this event.

Great friends (I finally got to meet a handful of peeps in person), great Palm Springs vibe and weather, great entertainment, shopping, room crawls...and a great host aka Wildsville man (Rory) who constantly and graciously gave a few moments of his time whenever our paths crossed to ask me if everything was okay and was I having a great time - little moments like this add enormous value to the experience. To sum it all up this event is the result of tons of hard-work and determination. Thank You Rory.

I consider myself very lucky to have experienced Tiki Caliente 4 firsthand and to have shared it with my tiki friends.

Applause, applause, applause! G

Rory,
great event, simply awesome as usual...

1st batch of pics

That was a great weekend. Thanks Rory, you throw a heck of a weekender.

We had a blast. We saw many friends, both new and familiar, over the weekend. Work will be a harsh reality tomorrow morning.

Lots of other thanks to go around also...crawl hosts for their libations, Marie for endlessly tending bar in the hot sun, Kirby, Polly, and Kelly for inviting me to help with the Rumpus Room party, vendors for the creativity they bring to the event, Jeff for setting the mood as DJ, Crazy Al for bringing energy as the MC, Tom for documenting our experiences on digital film, the drink crawl judges, and all the attendees who make Tiki Caliente what it is. I'm sure I'm forgetting another 27 or so people who make sure no one forgets the time they had at Tiki Caliente.

Highlights? Oh they are many.

• Hanging out with friends over a long weekend.
  • The Hula Girls on Friday (Mai Kai Mystery Girl as a 7" before Tiki Oasis? Please?)
  • The Sand Devils on Saturday (My head almost exploded when you played The Passion of Lovers).
  • Hosting a room crawl for the first time.
  • Listening to the Martini Kings while helping at the "Remote Rumpus Room". And The Alexander rocked.
  • Sitting under the stars on Friday night.
  • The Blue Moai.
  • Listening to the Zen Tiki Lounge live broadcast podcast while driving home Monday.
  • Slacktone ripping through a Sunday afternoon.
  • The late Sunday beach ball poolside royale during the slack key set.

Mostly I'll remember the smiles and "good mornings" from everyone there, all weekend.

Photos to come.

Mahalo,

Kevin and Val

C

What a blast. Thanks Rory and everyone who made this the best. Viva Caliente! Can't wait to do it all again.
As Don Tiki says "You better get used to the heat."

As Tiki G said so eloquently in an earlier post, we had a great time at Tiki C this weekend. We didn't arrive until Saturday, and were hit with the overwhelming tiki vibe from the moment we arrived. I say we go for the full 4-day experience next year!

Thanks to Rory for making us feel so welcome!

Sunday's beach ball fun was a terrific workout and fun as hell! It was good to see the people that worked so hard to make our experience, let down their hair and enjoy the cool pool and awesome musical interlude until sundown on Sunday.

Mahalo

TM

Well, the Smokin' menehunes were there too! (Not just a hologram like Tupac at Coachella, nor a mirage brought by the desert heat!)

Anyway, we had a good time....Thank you Rory, and thank you Crazy Al for sitting in with us! (It's always great when you do!)

I hope everyone else enjoyed our saturday set?

Where is the Menehune love??????

:)

We had a GREAT time at Tiki Caliente!!
Thanks for always giving The Hula Girls such a warm reception!

A very special thanks to Rory for having us back and treating us so well! Tiki Caliente is certainly a hi-light for us to be a part of every year!
Hopefully we'll have a new record for you guys in time for next year!!

Can't promise a Mai Kai Mystery Girl 7" by Oasis though. Haha...

On 2012-05-22 08:57, lucas vigor wrote:
Well, the Smokin' menehunes were there too! (Not just a hologram like Tupac at Coachella, nor a mirage brought by the desert heat!)

Anyway, we had a good time....Thank you Rory, and thank you Crazy Al for sitting in with us! (It's always great when you do!)

I thought that the Smokin Menehunes in Palm Springs was the perfect throw back to a long past era.
I wanted to sit in front of the band and watch, but the heat/sun was too much for me
so I was over in my DJ booth/hideaway.
I did think that the Menehunes volume could have come up a bit.

Jeff(btd)

On 2012-05-22 08:57, lucas vigor wrote:

I knew I'd forget something by posting so late at night! The Menehunes were certainly smokin' as well. I'm only bummed that I missed the 2nd half of your guys' set while setting up for an afternoon crawl.

kevin

I'm just now getting back to reality.
oooooof, what a weekend.
I don't know how some of you drink as much as you do.
I usually have a beer and a tiki drink or 2, and that's it.

Great Job to Rory and crew, in making another fabulous weekend.

Thanks to those who stopped by my secluded hideaway for a visit.
Thanks to those who brought me drinks.
and Thanks to Jonpaul and Ran for helping me break down my gear each night.

Jeff(btd)

Now, that's what we call in the business a "Bass face" !!!!

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2012-05-22 10:42 ]

I just saw this in the Tiki Music area:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42968&forum=11&start=last&3

too bad it wasn't available for this past weekend.
:(

Jeff(btd)

Right?

I would have bought one, had they been available at Caliente. Martini kings rock!

I would say they Swing, Baby!

CA

cheers folks! fab year

T

Mahalo to Rory for setting up an awesome event. Looking forward to next year!

Thanks for yet another amazing tiki weekend! viva la caliente! sigh, only 362 more days....

I am so happy that this was my first big Tiki Event! Everyone I met was so amazingly welcoming and just an absolute pleasure to be around.

Looking forward to making this a difinite annual must do!

Mahalo,
Kim

On 2011-08-22 21:37, Bora Boris wrote:
"I shall return"

what happen Boris?

more...

C
cy posted on Wed, May 23, 2012 8:29 PM

Thanks Rory for proving to be an adept manager, promoter, and humorist and I am happy to hear you talking about next year. Great music, hope Slacktone will be back. As talented as Crazy Al and Doug Horne are they are even nicer people, and special thanks to Mark and Cindy, Jon and Janelle, Wendy and Dan for the generous offer, and all the people that bought tikis and ts!

Early set up on Thursday.

We all know what this is.

There must be a good caption for this shot, I just can't think of one.

Jason gets my vote as the coolest cat in the crowd. To make his hair stand up like that takes years of training and lots of hairspray he tells me.

If it weren't for Wildsville Man I would have missed this picture of Slacktones metalflake green Fender resting against 'Ohiki.

[ Edited by: cy 2012-05-24 16:18 ]

hang10tiki thanks for posting photos of you and I together. I stole them for my files. The best photos you took were of your wife, she's a sweetheart inside and out. You too, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 345 replies