Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Had My First (real) Painkiller The Other Night, And Wow!

Pages: 1 43 replies

I've mixed up a painkiller before with (don't laugh) Myer's and Bacardi (I said don't laugh!) and I was less than impressed. Having grown wiser in the way of tiki since then, I picked up a bottle of Pusser's at the local TotalWine and whipped up another.

Wow. I couldn't believe how good it was! Sadly I didn't have any fresh nutmeg or cinnamon so it didn't get a dusting.

What's everybody else's opinion on this drink? Any other good rums (or combinations thereof) other than Pusser's in it?

How about nutmeg and cinnamon? Is it worth the effort to go find some or is it more of a garnish?

cinnamon and nutmeg are essential to this drink. esp. fresh nutmeg, easily found in the spanish spices aisle at the grocery store.

I love Pusser's in this drink, but at the same time, i've found that it works pretty well with gold rum, with whiskey, and even with brandy. 4 oz pineapple juice and 1 oz OJ (i've used alternate juices for the OJ) and 1 oz coco creme overwhelm most boozes...

Kraken Spiced rum is really good in a Painkiller.
I call it a "Kraken Killer" have served it at many of my soirée.

Make it just like the the "Bums" recipe but use 2 oz. Kraken Rum & 1 oz. of Cruzan Coconut Rum
be sure to dust with nutmeg!!!

I think the nutmeg makes this drink. You don't taste it so much as smell it with every sip. Is there supposed to be cinnamon in a Painkiller? Maybe I've using the wrong recipe?

@thePorpoise
You're right, it is. I won't make it without a dusting again.

@Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tried it last night. Excellent!

@MadDogMike
I was citing Jeff Berry's recipe.

W
wupput posted on Thu, Mar 5, 2015 4:29 PM

How much Pussers should there be in a painkiller? I have been scouring the interwebs and see everything from 2 oz, to 2.5 oz, to 4 oz. All the other ingredients are the same in every version: 4 oz pineapple juice, 1 oz orange juice, 1 oz coconut creme, nutmeg.

I've never made one of these before though years ago remember drinking them in every beach shack bar on Tortola and Virgin Gorda.... always $5, always delicious.

Not my photo but it looked like this:

I was at the Pusser's bars/stores last summer in the BVIs. Their recipe is 2 - 3 or 4 oz of Pusser's. Seems like it would be a different drink every time to me though. Pusser's has the trademark or copywrite on the recipe, so what they say is the official recipe. 2 I think is just fine though. I like to sub out Pusser's for Smith & Cross for an extra kick.

W
wupput posted on Thu, Mar 5, 2015 5:12 PM

Thanks! Ok, if its a range 2-4 I'll probably go with 3 since we like them a little strong. I wish I had some Smith and Cross but that bottle of Pussers has been sitting on my shelf unused for a while....

K
kkocka posted on Thu, Mar 5, 2015 5:36 PM

I go by the Bum's recipe at 2.5 oz of rum. I think more than that is maybe a bit overkill (RumDood lists 4 oz), but if you use a potent rum like Smith & Cross it'll go a long way without the extra drink volume, as opposed to a dark rum like Coruba (as I initially made mine with).

wuttup, wupput. i think the pusser's website recommends btw 2-4 oz of rum, whatever floats yer fancy...

W

Thanks everybody. Well, we went with the #3 (love that sign by the way!). But there were...issues. I've made drinks with a lot more ingredients but this one was challenging.

The main problem was the Coco Lopez. I opened up the can, purchased a couple of weeks ago from Hi Time Wine, and the stuff at the top was pretty solid so I scooped an ounce of it into the blender with the other ingredients. The Grog Log said to not blend with ice, but everything I read before said TO blend with ice and the painkillers I had in BVI seemed like they were definitely blended with ice, so I went that route.

The blender didn't seem to be able to blend it properly. The flavor was good but I noticed a lot of coconut cream solids stuck to the bottom of my blender, and a little in my glass. Then when I was transferring the Lopez out of the can into another container for refrigeration I realized it was totally separated. There was a solid layer on top, then a large liquid layer, then another solid layer at the bottom.

Should I have mixed it all up first? Should I warm it first? Should I have blended without ice as the Grog Log instructs? Just wondering where I went wrong. The drink tasted good but the consistency just didn't seem right.

i dont blend it, i make it on the rocks.

also, i always stir up the coco lopez contents in the can upon opening...

I use Monin Coconut Syrup instead of the Coco Lopez, I don't care for the chalky taste or
the sentiment/pulp it leaves in drinks.

And I use a cocktail shaker to mix the drink, perfect cocktail everytime.

To me, the #2 has good balance. I’ve tried the #3 and I didn’t care for it.
I set the unopened can of Coco Lopez under hot running water fo bout 25 seconds. I shake the can vigorously and open and pour into a clean Tang Pitcher. An occasional shake during the course of the evening keeps it mixed pretty well. I’ve kept the unused cream for 2-3 weeks in my very cold bar fridge (tightly capped).
I make my Pusser’ s P K’s in a shaker and pour em into an ice filled dbl old fashioned. Garnish wid a wedge of orange and freshly grated nutmeg is a must! Painkillers are easy to make in large batches if you’re expecting company. Seems everybody likes em.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-03-05 23:02 ]

To me, the #2 has good balance. I’ve tried the #3 and I didn’t care for it.
I set the unopened can of Coco Lopez under hot running water fo bout 25 seconds. I shake the can vigorously and open and pour into a clean Tang Pitcher. An occasional shake during the course of the evening keeps it mixed pretty well. I’ve kept the unused cream for 2-3 weeks in my very cold bar fridge (tightly capped).
I make my Pusser’ s P K’s in a shaker and pour em into an ice filled dbl old fashioned. Garnish wid a wedge of orange and freshly grated nutmeg is a must! I’ve never had one served wid cinnamon. Painkillers are easy to make in large batches if you’re expecting company. Seems everybody likes em.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-03-05 23:00 ]

I like to blend with ice if I am making a batch of 6 or so. I will use a shaker for just 1 or 2. They get a bit frothier in the blender.

Coco Lopez does need some vigorous shaking before opening. I guess stirring after opening works as well. Coco Real is a bit easier to use as well. Comes in a squirt bottle and makes for much quicker drinks.

K
kkocka posted on Fri, Mar 6, 2015 9:53 AM

On 2015-03-05 23:01, lunavideogames wrote:
Coco Lopez does need some vigorous shaking before opening. I guess stirring after opening works as well. Coco Real is a bit easier to use as well. Comes in a squirt bottle and makes for much quicker drinks.

Although this is what I prefer to use. Sure it has corn syrup (I think?) but it stores better, therefore lasts longer, and I never have to worry about separation or chalkiness. I give it a good few shakes and its easy peasy. For the record I shake my painkillers every time and would recommend that over blending. Pretty easy, straightforward, and delicious.

W

Thanks very much everybody. That all makes a lot of sense. Next time I'll lightly warm the cream, shake the lopez can, and shake the cocktail!

Made Q.B Coolers (Grog Log) after the unsuccessful painkillers. Those were amazing.

After trying other methods such as warming and stirring without great results, I eventually just started pouring the whole can of Coco Lopez in the blender by itself and let it run for a couple minutes. It got it thoroughly mixed and made it seem creamier and fluffier. Then I'd just pour it back out, use what I needed, and put any excess in a clean container in the fridge. The leftovers didn't seem to separate again the way it always did if I'd merely stirred/shaken/heated it.

On 2015-03-06 12:09, bamalamalu wrote:
After trying other methods such as warming and stirring without great results, I eventually just started pouring the whole can of Coco Lopez in the blender by itself and let it run for a couple minutes. It got it thoroughly mixed and made it seem creamier and fluffier. Then I'd just pour it back out, use what I needed, and put any excess in a clean container in the fridge. The leftovers didn't seem to separate again the way it always did if I'd merely stirred/shaken/heated it.

I’ll have to give your method (blender) a try Bam.
Mahalo, David

W
wupput posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2015 1:06 PM

I did this last night and it worked perfectly. Ended up making Coconauts since I was out of pineapple juice. Whoah, what a drink! Delicious but like eating several pieces of coconut cake while getting drunk.

[ Edited by: wupput 2015-03-08 13:07 ]

V

I've been using a similar technique but I use an electric hand mixer (the one with two whisk attachments) and a bowl. Might try a blender next time, less to clean up :wink:

Glad it worked for you, wupput! My skills are way below most of you here, so it's a nice novelty to contribute something semi-useful.

About a month ago, I had house-guests who weren't accustomed to Tiki drinks. I handed them a printed menu from Chicago's Three Dots & a Dash (a bartender gave it to me a while ago, because I bought a bunch of mugs, and as I'm a good tipper!), and said "I can make almost everything on here."

The Dead Reckoning and Zombie were both well-received... but the Painkiller was the big hit of the week, and the half-dozen or so that I made used up the last of my Pusser's. I used Pusser's traditional recipe, as found on their web site.

For coconut cream, I used "Coco Real" in the squeezy tube, heating it in the microwave for twenty seconds or so to make it flow. I know some consider it inferior to Coco Lopez, but the texture is easy to work with and it lasts for months.

Good job, mattchicago, congrats! The Painkiller is a big hit with my non-cocktailian guests too.

I use Coco Lopez and store it in a glass jar in the fridge. It always gets microwaved a bit to make it mix and flow better, and I store it in the fridge. I have heard others use Coco Real, and they like it, but I stick to the Coco Lopez because everyone stocks it in my neighborhood supermarkets and liquor stores. AVOID the low-cal Coco Lopez as it's way too runny and not at all worth the very small calorie savings in your cocktails.

The Painkiller works well with Myers's dark too, although you'll miss out on the subtle aromas and flavors of the Pusser's. You can consider serving it with Myers's to your friends and save the Pusser's for yourself, although Myers's is pretty pricey too, at least here in my part of the country.

On 2015-03-24 14:20, AceExplorer wrote:
Good job, mattchicago, congrats! The Painkiller is a big hit with my non-cocktailian guests too.

The Painkiller works well with Myers's dark too, although you'll miss out on the subtle aromas and flavors of the Pusser's. You can consider serving it with Myers's to your friends and save the Pusser's for yourself, although Myers's is pretty pricey too, at least here in my part of the country.

Some time ago Atomic Tiki Punk tipped me off to making the Painkiller with Kraken. Most excellent tip ATP!
Mahalo

It's like what the Kraken was made for, David.

I've even made it with whiskey instead of rum. works well.

You need Pusser's to make a Painkiller. And Coco Lopez. I make a crowd pleasing alternative using El Dorado 5 year and coconut milk (not canned, like almond milk). I call it the Painless.

C
Colin posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2015 4:48 AM

On 2011-10-23 23:14, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Kraken Spiced rum is really good in a Painkiller.
I call it a "Kraken Killer" have served it at many of my soirée.

Make it just like the the "Bums" recipe but use 2 oz. Kraken Rum & 1 oz. of Cruzan Coconut Rum
be sure to dust with nutmeg!!!

Ever since I had a bad reaction to Vicodin 15 years ago when I broke my ankle, the only painkillers I go for are of the liquid variety. It truly is one of my favorite rum drinks. It's the one, even more than mai tais, I use to convert non-rum-a-holics to the fold.

I have tried so many rums but I think the one that was most perfect was the time I made it with Kraken. (The Cruzan coconut sounds like a great addition.) That bottle went fast, and I need to pick some more up. Tellingly, the bottle of Pusser's I bought for the drink remains 3/4-filled, even two years later.

I don't mean to disparage the original spirit. It worked fine, but that is more testament that the recipe for a Painkiller can't be messed up more than the rum itself. Pusser's created the least appealing Painkiller I've tried. I just don't like that noticeable funk in this recipe. I appreciate its role in the creation, however. It's like Jeff Buckley covering "Hallelujah." Even though his vocal is more intoxicating to me, I still appreciate Leonard Cohen as the greatest songwriter of all time. The mere creation of the Painkiller is in itself noble.

One of the things I love is that you can self-prescribe your dose, like choosing to take two, three or four ibuprofen (or oxycontin, if that's your thing!) The one thing I diverge on that I haven't seen in many recipes is that I like the spice to permeate the drink rather than to reside as mere garnish. i throw a good amount of cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg into the drink, as well as using it as garnish. As far as the rum goes, I've used many, all to good effect. But the one that guests like most seems to be the very economical Whaler's. My best friend says my Painkiller with Whaler's is her favorite cocktail ever.

Here's what I do:
--Fill a mason jar with crushed ice.
--Add 2.5-3 oz. rum of your choice (Kraken, Whaler's or Coruba recommended)
--Add 1.25 oz. fresh Valencia orange juice, strained (not that insipid Navel orange, if you can avoid it).
--Add 3 oz. fresh or canned pineapple juice and 1 heaping oz. of coconut creme (I think Trader Vic's coco-creme syrup is easier to work with than Coco Lopez if you have access; Coco Real also works OK.)
--Add a few dashes of ground cinnamon and a good strong grating of fresh nutmeg.
--Place top on jar, shake for dear life.
--Remove top, add more cinnamon and grated nutmeg, along with straw.
--Let your pain be killed.

N
NuiNui posted on Wed, May 6, 2015 6:06 PM

Is there any merit to using whole pineapple chunks instead of juice in a PK and a PC?

NO, absolutely none!
Juice is what is called for.

Nui Nui - ATP is right, juice is called for in the drink. But you could drop a couple fresh pineapple chunks into the drink with the ice and I think it would have a minuscule impact on the drink. It wouldn't be a "real" Painkiller from a purely technical sense, but what the hell... After you've had 3 or 4 it probably won't matter to you, right? :)

W
wupput posted on Fri, May 8, 2015 7:40 PM

This thread inspired me to make a Painkiller tonight a little different than I have been. I left the Pussers on the shelf and went with 1 oz Kraken, 1 oz Coruba. Then inspiration struck and I threw in about half an oz of Smith & Cross too for some extra heat and funk.... Mmmmm sooo good..... all pain killed!!

I'd never tried a Painkiller with anything but Pussers before so decided to take the advise of others here and mix it with Kraken. I think it works quite well and I certainly enjoyed it, but in a head to head comparison I don't feel it's any better or worse than one with Pussers. Not sure if I will give it a go with Smith & Cross tonight since I'm in the middle of a 30 day mai tai challenge and have already been derailed enough but I definitely look forward to trying that as I know it will take the drink to another level.

PS - I usually make painkillers at parties in big batches in a blender. Tonight I shook 'em and both drinks got better about halfway through as a bit of dilution took place. It seems like the general consensus is that it's better to shake, but I think blending it gets enough of the ice melted from the get go so it's better from the start. Encourages drinking faster, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2015-08-15 18:02 ]

On 2015-03-24 13:39, mattchicago wrote:
About a month ago, I had house-guests who weren't accustomed to Tiki drinks. I handed them a printed menu from Chicago's Three Dots & a Dash (a bartender gave it to me a while ago, because I bought a bunch of mugs, and as I'm a good tipper!), and said "I can make almost everything on here."

Do you have a recipe for their Painkiller No. 639? I'm not a fan of the traditional painkiller (I prefer drinks that have a sour element to them), so the mention of lemon on the menu caught my interest. Unfortunately I live on the other side of the country from chicago and as far as I know they don't have a recipe book out, so making it at home is my only way to get a taste.

It may seem blasphemous, but chain restaurant Cheddars makes a decent Painkiller. It's not particularly strong considering how big it is but they use Pussers and for 6 bucks you can't really go wrong. I really dig the honey dipped rim with toasted coconut stuck to it. A trick I need to adopt at home.

On 2015-09-11 22:53, mikehooker wrote:
It may seem blasphemous, but chain restaurant Cheddars makes a decent Painkiller. It's not particularly strong considering how big it is but they use Pussers and for 6 bucks you can't really go wrong. I really dig the honey dipped rim with toasted coconut stuck to it. A trick I need to adopt at home.

I don't think it's too bad either, but it could definitely use another shot or two of Pusser's.

You'll have to bring an ounce of two from home. It will be our little secret! :wink:

The best Painkiller I've had, hands down, was at Three Dots and a Dash.
Their pandan syrup gives the drink an incredible flavor!

M

On 2017-10-19 17:20, davidphantomatic wrote:

I agree 100%. . . I started putting 1/2oz Vanilla syrup in and dialed back the pineapple to 3oz which gives it a very similar flavor.

1 Coconut Creame
1/2 Vanilla Syrup
3 Pineapple
1 OJ
1 Plantation 5
3/4 Smith & Cross

On 2017-10-23 17:31, mmaurice wrote:

On 2017-10-19 17:20, davidphantomatic wrote:

I agree 100%. . . I started putting 1/2oz Vanilla syrup in and dialed back the pineapple to 3oz which gives it a very similar flavor.

1 Coconut Creame
1/2 Vanilla Syrup
3 Pineapple
1 OJ
1 Plantation 5
3/4 Smith & Cross

Nice! I’ll have to give that a shot.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Mar 20, 2018 9:31 PM

Haven’t had Pussers for a while, so when I found it on sale for $19.99 in a Longmont liquor store, I picked up a bottle with this cocktail in mind.

After going to three different places to find Coco Lopez tonight, I made my first Painkiller following the recipe in Remixed. Boy, is it good (and true to its name...),

Pages: 1 43 replies