Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Disneyland Gallery to host 50th Tiki Room Exhibit! Updated info!! Read!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies

I was talking with a friend of mine who works at the Disneyland Gallery & Disneyana on Main St. and she said the Disney Gallery will have a cool exhibit to honor the 50th anniversary of the Enchanted Tiki Room!! It most likely will be right near the 50th ann. month. Right now, they have a train exhibit, next is a castle display, then probably the Tiki exhibit! Disneyland will most certainly be releasing some VERY cool merchandise as they did in 2008 for the 45th! I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear, event & merchandise wise! And if anyone else learns anything, please add to the thread.

[ Edited by: Enchanted Tiki Guy 2012-05-27 22:25 ]

T

ENCHANTING

M

I kicked myself for missing out in 2008. I won't be making that mistake again!
It's so nice to see Disney keeping the South Seas/Tiki atmosphere going.

Sweet! Can't wait to find out more info!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!

More info on 50th Tiki room anniversary! Last week my castmember friend met Shag in the Disney Gallery who was chatting with the head of merchandising about potential Enchanted Tiki Room merchandise for the upcoming 50th! Also, the next Gallery display will definitly be castles, then a Fantasyland display, and then finally the 50th Tiki Room exhibit for Spring/Summer of 2013! I'm glad I got some more info to post about what should be a great celebration of our beloved Enchanted Tiki Room's 50th!

Awesome......I've loved the Disneyland Art Gallery for years.....I like the fact that they switch out the exhibits as often as they do and a Tiki Room exhibit will be a great exhibit....

Update on Tiki Room display: The castle display is now up at the Gallery and a cast member said that after castles is the Tiki Room exhibit, then a princess display after that. He said Disney didn't want to do a similar display too close together. If there is any other news I hear, I'll post.

F

that is awesome news. Makes my day.

As of right now, I've been told the Enchanted Tiki Room exhibit will take place after the current castle display. There won't be a princess display. And after the Tiki Room, there will be a Haunted Mansion exhibit! Yipee!

At Art of Disney Parks/collections, there is now a Save the Date posting about the Enchanted Tiki Room 50th Anniversary merchandise event! It's June 28th thru June 30th, 2013 at DLR! Check it out! See you all there!

They made the anniversary during Southern California Passport blockout dates.

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2012-09-11 18:09 ]

http://collections.disney.go.com/blog/save-the-date-walt-disneys-enchanted-tiki-room/

We invite you to Save the Date, June 28 – 30, as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room. This special merchandise event is set to include themed Tiki and Polynesian style merchandise as well as trading elements. Please continue to watch the Disney Parks Blog and ArtofDisneyParks.com for more information in the near future.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-01-04 06:04 ]

On 2012-09-11 17:57, tikilongbeach wrote:
http://collections.disney.go.com/blog/save-the-date-walt-disneys-enchanted-tiki-room/

Excellent, thanks for the update! I'm keenly interested in seeing who the featured artist will be for the 50th (SHAG maybe?).

I posted earlier in this topic that yes, Shag is definitely creating Tiki Room 50th merchandise. I hope Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily are going to create some more goodies as well!

I saw one of the pictures Shag created for the anniversary. It shows a person holding a Dole Whip. There is no reference to Dole but the attorneys said he had to take it out of the picture. Shag said if he has to take it out, Disney can't have the picture. The attorneys gave in. Shag said it wouldn't be the Enchanted Tiki Room without a Dole Whip.

On 2012-09-12 14:09, MaukaHale wrote:
Shag said it wouldn't be the Enchanted Tiki Room without a Dole Whip.

Dole Whip at Disneyland is one thing. But Dole Whip at the Dole Pineapple Plantation on Oahu can be an entirely different animal. They offer a big size which comes in a length-wise half of a pineapple as a "bowl" with three huge towers (6" high each) of Dole Whip. The pineapple "bowl" is filled with chunks of fresh pineapple from when they hollwed out the bowl. So imagine Dole Whip with chunks of fresh pineapple in Hawaii. I think they also put whipped cream, nuts, and other toppings on it. It's huge and very tasty in the warm Hawaiian sun. Somewhere I have a photo of me holding the whole thing up.

Bonus: June 28-20 dates do not intersect with The Hukilau's dates of June 6-9

V

Way back in "small kid time" my family visited the Dole Cannery near Honolulu (home of the iconic pineapple water tower). They had a water fountain that produced ice cold pineapple juice. It BLEW MY MIND. I bet I drank a quart of juice out of that thing!

Yes, I remember something like that on my very first trip to the islands in 1991, but it was more of a wall-mounted spigot instead of a drinking fountain. The juice sure tasted good... That was the trip when I also came to know the word "ginaca" for the big machines that took whole pineapples and did the coring and stripping of the outer layer. That makes for a great trivia question when you're sitting around and drinking stuff with pineapple ingredients or when I show people my VacuVin corer set.

Sadly the big Dole factory is not in existence anymore. But they still maintain some fields at the visitor center complex outside of Honolulu for the really nice-looking mail-order and gift pineapples.

I voted to move this to California events.

In West Hollywood there is a place called Whipp'd LA that sells Dole Whip Soft Serve and Blue Bell Ice Cream if you're from Texas. They even deliver if you live or work in WeHo. I haven't been yet so I can't say whether it tastes the same as Disneyland or not.
I wonder how many leather/S&M types were disappointed when they realized it was an ice cream stand?

http://www.whippdsoftserve.com

Can anyone share anymore info on the Enchanted Tiki Room 50th? What are these merchandising events like to attend. Do you have to camp out at the gates to get anything?

Here is a youtube video of the merchandise line for the 45th anniversary. The temps in June can be warm to hot.
June 28 – 30 will be very busy at Disneyland!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK3dtwr9e7g

This is the link for Disneyland/California Adventure tickets. Cal Adventure is definitely worth a visit.
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/tickets/

HT

HOLY CARP!

Makes me appreciate even more whomever it was that was kind enough to get me a Pele mug from, the 40th, was it?

Wow.

On 2013-01-18 02:09, tikilongbeach wrote:
Here is a youtube video of the merchandise line for the 45th anniversary. The temps in June can be warm to hot.
June 28 – 30 will be very busy at Disneyland!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK3dtwr9e7g

Yea the line was hella-long, but at least it did not move for two hours straight because they were waiting for truck to arrive to restock...sigh.

On 2013-01-18 08:53, Hale Tiki wrote:
HOLY CARP!

Makes me appreciate even more whomever it was that was kind enough to get me a Pele mug from, the 40th, was it?

Wow.

No it was not made specifically for the 40th, though it did come out just after that (2004 I believe). The 40th merchandise was branded as such.

On 2013-01-04 06:16, tikilongbeach wrote:
I voted to move this to California events.

In West Hollywood there is a place called Whipp'd LA that sells Dole Whip Soft Serve and Blue Bell Ice Cream if you're from Texas. They even deliver if you live or work in WeHo. I haven't been yet so I can't say whether it tastes the same as Disneyland or not.
I wonder how many leather/S&M types were disappointed when they realized it was an ice cream stand?
http://www.whippdsoftserve.com

Isn't that(BD/SM) more of a Silverlake thing?

So camping overnight is a possibility. Do they limit people on how much they can buy? Any ideas on that?

On 2013-01-18 11:31, Kilaueakyd wrote:
So camping overnight is a possibility. Do they limit people on how much they can buy? Any ideas on that?

No, you cannot camp at the front gate. But you don't need to, just get there early. It's not like every person there is going to be after Tiki Room merch. For every event I've been to, there is a limit of two of of any item per person. So you can get as many different items as you want (or can carry), but only two of each of them.

I am thinking Shag will be making us all a nice Tiki mug to add to our collections. Does anyone have any more news on SHAG being a part of the weekend?

Boy, that was one loooonggg line in 2008! And a hot day to boot! Then we found out the fountains were not available after a certain amount were sold, but Disney sent them later with no problems. I go to the park often, so if I hear anything about the event, I'll post!

EnchantedTikiGuy thanks for all the great posts on the subject. I hope others with inside info. Post what they can, when they know. I hope I get a chance to meet you and some other TIkiphiles in that lineup in June.

There's new info over at the same Disney website! March 1 is a product/event post and April 2nd live tickets are on sale.

[ Edited by: Enchanted Tiki Guy 2013-02-14 12:55 ]

Update! Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room 50th Anniversary
June 28 - June 29
Disneyland® Resort
Add to Your Calendar We invite you to Save the Date, June 28 – 29, as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room. This special merchandise event is set to include themed Tiki and Polynesian style merchandise as well as trading elements. Please continue to watch the Disney Parks Blog and ArtofDisneyParks.com for more information in the near future.

As we look forward to this enchanting event, here are some key dates to remember:

March 1 – Ticket packages, prices and offerings revealed plus a product sneak peek

April 2 – Ticket sales go live

April 2 – Ticket sales go live

A ticketed event!?! Boooooooooo. Trying to wring every penny they can from us again I guess.

T

Well, for those who were there 5 years ago, I think the mouse didn't realize how much of a draw the 45th anniversary would be and has learned that there is an untapped revenue source that they can exploit (yea us!). But if this - 1) Cuts down on the wait(think we waited 5+hrs), 2) actually gives you a chance to look at merchandise without being crammed into the Disneyana, and 3) save countless questions of "What are you waiting in line for?", then I'm all for it.

Probably will be like the one-off event for the Disneyland Tahitian Terrace. (Now wouldn't THAT be cool if they had all merchandise displaying over there)

Count me in for this! Can't wait!!!

Hope I can find a way to get tickets. I'm going to be on a flight to Maui on April 2...

Has anybody seen the ACTUAL MERCHANDISE yet?

Looks like the page has been updated with some small picutres. Dig the SHAG print with a Dole Whip in it.

http://collections.disney.go.com/events/save-the-date-walt-disneys-enchanted-tiki-room-50th-anniversary/?instance_id=

[ Edited by: aquaorama 2013-02-28 09:01 ]

The bowl looks cool.

The mugs are nice too!

Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room 50th Anniversary Event
June 28 - June 29
Disneyland® Hotel – Exhibit Hall
Add to Your Calendar
We invite you to join us on June 28 – 29, as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room.

JOSE Package – $85
Registered Event Guests will have the opportunity to purchase Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room 50th Anniversary Event themed merchandise via the Random Selection Process.

June 28, 2013 (5pm – 9pm) – Take Advantage of:
Early Registration
Random Selection Process Merchandise Pick-up
Trading Area

June 29, 2013 (8am – 5pm)
Early Store & Random Selection Process Merchandise Pick-up
Artist Signings
Silent Auction
Trading Area and Activities
Commemorative Gifts

“Early Birdies” Special Offer:
Don’t miss out! Register early and receive a limited edition “Early Birdies” pin.

Special Experience Add-On

SHAG Cocktail Reception – $185

Tip: In order to register for the SHAG Cocktail Reception, Guests must also be registered for Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room 50th Anniversary Event ‘JOSE’ Package.

June 29, 2013 (7pm – 10pm)
Cocktail Reception
Lite Hors d’oeuvres
Meet and Greet with SHAG
Commemorative Photo
Commemorative Gifts

Ticket Sales begin Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. (Pacific Time) via http://www.ArtofDisneyParks.com. Look for more information in the coming weeks.

Just 48 payments of $29.99 will get you in the door
so you can spend more money randomly!

Act now & you can get this life changing lapel pin!
Gas,Food,Drinks,Parking & self esteem not included!

DisneyCo not responsible for long lines, wait times or limited stock of items
that you must have or die trying to obtain!

Not affiliated with any reality show on the Learning Channel......yet! :lol:

I like that it's being held at the Disneyland Hotel and not inside the park if I'm reading it correctly.

I really like the Rongo bowl, the mugs are meh, though it's nice to see a less stylized Pele. They're really getting to be a bit ridiculous with the admission though.

Hey, I am digging those Kevin & Jody mugs! The SHAG image is pretty nifty too..

I'm not sure if I can swing the costs involved, but I'm interested..

Guess we have a month to contemplate before pulling the trigger.

Nice that it's at the Disneyland Hotel .. steps away from Trader Sam's :wink:

"I'm the one who's really sad
for when I smile it comes out mad."

On 2013-02-28 09:43, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Just 48 payments of $29.99 will get you in the door
so you can spend more money randomly!

Act now & you can get this life changing lapel pin!
Gas,Food,Drinks,Parking & self esteem not included!

DisneyCo not responsible for long lines, wait times or limited stock of items
that you must have or die trying to obtain!

Not affiliated with any reality show on the Learning Channel......yet! :lol:

Now that is funny,
and whats sad is, some of the TC peeps will be there.

Jeff(btd)

BTD, why is that sad? I agree that the cost for this event is pretty large (out of my league), but this is the Mouse we're talking about now, and its a 50 Year Anniversary. I'm guessing the serious ETR collector would love nothing more than to say they attended this exclusive event, purchased/invested in some art, and made a day out of it all.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies