Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Disneyland Gallery to host 50th Tiki Room Exhibit! Updated info!! Read!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies

I received all the items I put in the RSP for all 3 rounds on both Jose tickets. That means I have 6 of each of the mugs and 4 of the Rongo bowls, plus a few other items.

me like the shirt in XL - wink wink -
A bunch of the other "stuff" is cool too.

Have fun!

A

I ordered one of each of everything Kevin & Jody made, and most of the SHAG items, including some that are limited to just 100 (Pele Serigraph anyone? Check!). I was surprised to see I got EVERYTHING I ordered! :) Yes, MOST items in the catalogue are open edition with the exception of the Vinylmation (which are ridiculously priced, and I can probably create myself for about $30 dollars), and most of the SHAG prints (again, I was surprised to get all of the prints I wanted). As far as the tons of pins made, I could care less and don't even remember if they are limited or not.
What I'm getting at is, yes, there are a few items that are very limited (the Vinylmations are 1 of a kind), so there was a reason for Disney to do the pre-order thingie. And since they are charging our credit cards in less than 2 weeks, it was nice for them to know what your total order was so they knew how much to charge. Also, by pre-ordering even the items that are open edition, they can make an effort to have all the ordered pieces on hand at the event. In the past, they were oblivious to the demand that certain items had, and didn't stock enough. Then, after waiting for hours in line, they were out of popular items even though they had plenty in the warehouse.
So, If all you are looking for are the AMAZING items that Kevin & Jody created (mugs, statues), rest assured that you will be able to get them all eventually. They are not limited edition, and they will keep making them as long as there is demand. The SHAG serigraphs, on the other hand, will likely be all gone with the pre-orders. The way I ordered was: The limited edition items were at the top of my list, the rest followed. And if you were smart enough, hopefully you all did the same.
So will I see anyone I know out there? I'm staying at the Disneyland Hotel solo.
By the way, did you all know there is a Hawaiian/Polynesian Festival going on in Downtown Disney during that same weekend? (FRIDAY). I will create a separate topic for that shortly....
Louis :)

A

Never mind, I just checked the Disneyland Resort schedule for the Tiki event weekend and the "Hawaiian/Polynesian Festival" that was scheduled for that Friday is now gone from the list. :(
I was wondering what that was going to be. The weird part is that this "Hawaiian/Polynesian Festival" was listed for Friday, and the time listed was 12am. I thought it would be weird if that meant Thurday night at midnight, or if they really meant Friday at 12pm.
Either way, the event is now off the schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if it re-appeared on the schedule again as I've seen happen many times before. I figured they had timed it to coincide with the Tiki Room event. Does anyone have any info on this event? Like, were any of your contacted to come perform or something?
Louis :(

I won the very limited edition "Olivia Munn dresses as an Enchanted Tiki Room Hula Dancer"
and gives a private lap dance!

What did you guys get again?

I won the "have gay sex with a punk from Costa Mesa" one-of-a-kind. I'm bringing rope.

Well if your into that sort of thing :o

Saturday June 29

Enchanted Tiki Room artist/designer Rolly Crump will be doing a panel discuss about the creation of the Enchanted Tiki Room and will be joined by imagineering legend Bob Gurr.

Facebook: Rolly Crump

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

OK..... so the "Hawaiian/Polynesian Festival" is back on the schedule for Friday, June 28th at 12am. That's what it says. :)

I would really like a "the birds sing" print (one of the $40 ones). If someone is willing to get one for me I will be happy to throw in a $20 on top, plus shipping - and paypal you money in advance. PM me.

June 23 - 27, 2013-In honor of the 50th anniversary of the Enchanted Tiki Room, Annual Passholders can receive a special recreation of the 1963 Enchanted Tiki Room brochure, available while supplies last, which includes the original graphics and even a special message from Walt Disney.

Disneyland: Enchanted Tiki Room – 50th Anniversary Souvenir

F

Has everyone gotten an email about their RSP? My friend got his RSP email several days ago, but I still have not yet received any such email. Nothing at all? Wondering if they are staggering the RSP's? Or, does this mean I'm just SOL? (Even for the open edition items?)
I can't be the only one who hasn't received and RSP merchandise email yet, right?

T

The wife and I received our RSP on the 5th. We received everything on our lists which was a real surprise. We have duplicates of some items and we even won the Doug Horne "In the Tiki Room" original! Awesome!!

[ Edited by: TikiJaxx 2013-06-20 11:23 ]

Congrats TikiJaxx!

I'm really excited about being a part of this Disney celebration.

I've been signing canvas and paper prints for the limited editions and I'll be signing prints at the event on June 29th.

I have two originals hanging in the gallery show, see below.

Looking forward to hanging out with my Tiki friends on the 29th! See ya soon!

Awesome Doug,

I have to say that your pieces above are the few things
For the event that I like.
Great vibe on those.

Jeff btd

Dig that Pele, man!

Great work, Doug!!

T

Remember Doug, if Disney needs a costume mascot for the event, that is tiki-themed. You know who to call :wink:

I must.....concur!

HT

On 2013-06-12 13:28, Tiki-ESP wrote:
Remember Doug, if Disney needs a costume mascot for the event, that is tiki-themed. You know who to call :wink:

How fast can you put together a Pele? lol

Just a quick mention here for anyone that cannot make the event, or even get to Disneyland, anytime soon. You can call and purchase and have shipped to you any merchandise from the park. I think the only restriction is limited edition pieces, they wait until after the event, then whatever is left is free game. The service is:

Disneyland DelivEARS 1-800-362-4533

From the Disney parks blog. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/category/disneyland-resort/

June 30: A little birdie told me the new name for the exhibit opening in The Disney Gallery on Main Street, U.S.A., is “Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Realms, Celebrating 50 Years of Enchantment.” So make sure you fly by to see the newest pieces on display from Walt Disney Imagineering, as well as a selection of original and limited-edition artwork from Disney-inspired artists. You may recall that the Disneyana Shop closed its doors a couple of months ago; however, it has made its way down the street and will be taking up residence in the Bank of Main Street Building on July 1.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-06-20 10:23 ]

Disney video introducing the Enchanted Tiki Room gods. This was also on the Disney blog page.

With the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room coming up this Sunday, June 23, I wanted to take a few minutes for you to meet some friends of mine. I’ve spent many an afternoon sharing a Dole Whip and friendly conversation with these wooden residents of the garden outside the Enchanted Tiki Room, watching them come to life and introduce themselves. Let’s meet the Tiki gods of the Enchanted Tiki Garden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8M0POgm0uv0#at=24

•Pele: This Hawaiian fire goddess lives in the Kilauea volcano and likes to torment her neighbor …

•Ngendei: from Fiji, he is the creator of all the gods. He’s also got a big job as balancer of the whole world. That pressure combined with the torment he suffers from Pele – it’s no wonder there’s an earthquake every time he moves.

•Maui: The Polynesian trickster who gave people time and roped the playful Sun.

•Rongo: The Polynesian god of agriculture, also known as Lono in Hawai`i, is also the provider of food. He also discovered electricity, naturally.

•Koro: The Midnight Dancer, under whose spell all ladies and men learned to dance.

•Tangaroa-ru: Also known as Mapui-Kaufanga in Maori tales, she is goddess of the east winds, which bring rain.

•Hina Kaluua: This Hawaiian mistress of rain, from Hilo, Hawai`i, keeps it in the family – her daughter, Hina, is the mother of the trickster, Maui.

•Tangaroa: The father of all gods and goddesses, he took the form of a tree (a tree that no one ever did see).
While these Tiki carvings were based on legends of the South Pacific, a few of our own Disney Legends worked on the Tiki gods you find in the Enchanted Tiki Garden. They were primarily designed by Imagineers Marc Davis and Rolly Crump. The plaques and dialogue were written by Marty Sklar, who went on to become vice chairman and principal creative executive at Walt Disney Imagineering.

Disneyland celebrated the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room on Sunday, June 23rd.

Annual Passholders were able to obtain this replica of the original brochure from 1963 describing the new attraction to park guests.

Also, the Dole Whip Stand had a limited number of themed sipper cups which they sold Pineapple Juice in.

I also noted that they seemed to have 'spruced up' the Enchanted Tiki Garden (pre-show area)with some new sun shades with a more tiki / tapa feel to them. The previous sun shades were a plain fabric.

Pop Fusion Exhibit
July 13
WonderGround Gallery, Downtown Disney® District
Witness the perfect ‘fusion’ of Disney and Pop Culture, with the Pop Fusion exhibit. The exhibit will showcase original and limited edition artwork, as well as merchandise inspired by these pieces, and each month you will get the chance to meet and greet with new artists, experiencing a diverse variety of beautiful artwork! Keep checking back to find out which artists will be joining this ‘POP’ular exhibit!

This month, meet artists Jerrod Maruyama, Jeff Granito, Jeremiah Ketner, Noah, Daniel Samakow and Kristin Tercek at WonderGround Gallery, Downtown Disney® District for a special appearance and signing, July 13, 2013 from 10 a.m. – 12 noon.

Daniel Samakow "Enchanted Tiki Island"
There are 50 tikis in the painting.

http://www.disneyparksmerchandise.com/events/pop-fusion-exhibit/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q3JulyMerchandiseEventsAtTheDisneylandResort000619-06-13

Is there a plan for meeting up at Trader Sams on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday?

If so, would someone kindly post the details.

Thanks!

Jonathan and Kelly

F

I imagine no one will need to plan a meet-up at TS's this Friday or Saturday. I'm expecting the place to be packed. That said, I'll still be there both Friday and Saturday at some point! ; )

I'm staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I'll be at Trader Sam's Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights! I'm looking forward to the Tiki Room event and the SHAG event. See you all there!

Louis

J

And don't EVEN think about cutting in line...

:evil: :evil: :evil:

HT

John-O , I bet you were there at Disneyland back then protesting.

"...rigorous grooming standards would be required for admission."

Boy, that almost sounds nice. :)

T

On 2013-06-25 21:53, JOHN-O wrote:
And don't EVEN think about cutting in line...

:evil: :evil: :evil:

My how Disney has changed since then, noting the line - rigorous grooming standards.

Disney Imagineering Legend Rolly Crump talks about the developement of the Enchanted Tiki Room and designing the tikis that are in the waiting area

Disney Park Blog: Rolly Crump

And, as mentioned previously, he will be doing a panel discuss about the creation of the Enchanted Tiki Room and will be joined by imagineering legend Bob Gurr at the 50th aniversary event

Facebook: Rolly Crump

I'm a big Disney fan but due to a preplanned vacation trip, I have to miss all the events. If anyone was able to score an "extra" brochure or Dole cup, I would be seriously interested in acquiring a set. Please PM me if anyone wants let one go. Big Thanks!

[ Edited by: TropShop 2013-06-26 19:25 ]

I'm thinking of going down before rush hour on Friday. Anyone planning to do the same?

Woohoo! We got a Sneak Peak of The Display Only Artwork today. Everyone's in for a treat!

Woohoo! We got a Sneak Peak of The Display Only Artwork today. Everyone's in for a treat!

TM

Is there a schedule of events fornSaturday?

On 2013-06-27 15:47, WooHooWahine wrote:

Where is that at, the hotel or the gallery?

FYI.....There is a Tiki Room Magnet that was Just Released in the Park today.

FYI.....There is a Tiki Room Magnet that was Just Released in the Park today.

Does anyone know if the Tiki Room 50th merchandise is at DLR yet, that's listed on Disney's site? I'm debating whether or not to go Sat or Sun.

I'll be fighting my way into Trader Sam's on Saturday...

AL

How did this go. Please report back, any pics, any one bought extras?

On 2013-06-30 11:32, Abe Lugo wrote:

Quite a few of the pieces are already posted on eBay.

On 2013-06-30 11:32, Abe Lugo wrote:

Short version: it was a fun event, with a lot of small nice touches that made for a great overall weekend. I have a few photos to share soon, but here's one of my highlights - the Tiki Room panel featuring Rolly Crump and Bob Gurr who both shared a lot of stories about the Tiki Room and working at WED.

Incidentally, you can get most (all?) of the open stock items at the Disney Gallery in Disneyland. It looked like they'd moved most of the pieces over by this morning.

kevin

AL

Hi, i saw a Toucan print by shag that was not in the catalog, was there special art you guys can buy that just was not listed of was a late add?

The online Disney Store has the ETR 50th anniversary t-shirt for sale. It's $24.95.

http://www.disneystore.com/the-enchanted-tiki-room-50th-anniversary-tee-for-adults-limited-availability/mp/1338250/1000228/

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies