Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Disneyland Gallery to host 50th Tiki Room Exhibit! Updated info!! Read!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies

The Reason its sad is...
the only reason that Disney can charge what they do for stuff is the fanaticism
that some people have for their stuff/events.
stop clamoring for it, and the prices will drop.

Jeff(btd)

No reason to stress out, folks! When they run out of the Shag and Kevin & Jody stuff, there are still THESE collectables to invest into:

:D

A

On 2013-03-01 21:39, bigtikidude wrote:
The Reason its sad is...

Jeff(btd)

The same could be said for say....a limited edition tiki mug, or perhaps a weekend tiki gathering? Many fans of all that is Disney are the same as any social "clique" (Such as say...TC?) as they want to have the cool stuff. Also, if we are to bash Disney for their "Corporate Greed", should we not also condemn the artists who provide the items? One could say Disney is helping support their endeavors..... no? I for one support ALL the high prices, as my Disney stock is up over 40% in the last year! :P

That's a great point, aquarama & I totally agree 100%! :wink:

On 2013-03-02 04:55, aquaorama wrote:

On 2013-03-01 21:39, bigtikidude wrote:
The Reason its sad is...

Jeff(btd)

The same could be said for say....a limited edition tiki mug, or perhaps a weekend tiki gathering? Many fans of all that is Disney are the same as any social "clique" (Such as say...TC?) as they want to have the cool stuff. Also, if we are to bash Disney for their "Corporate Greed", should we not also condemn the artists who provide the items? One could say Disney is helping support their endeavors..... no? I for one support ALL the high prices, as my Disney stock is up over 40% in the last year! :P

aquaorama, Respectfully none of these events you mention above, charge you $85 just to get in the door
for a random chance to buy those collectibles (plus an additional $185 to hang out and have cocktails with Shag)
as a matter of fact it is free to shop at "Tiki Oasis","Tiki Caliente" in the daytime (not counting parking) as is with most mug releases etc.

At the very least Disney can do is include a visit to the park, I say this is a big cash grab.

A

Why is the "Rongo" bowl called "Rongo"? That doesn't make any sense. That bowl is clearly a Polynesian Village item. That's all the way over in Florida! The bowl is covered in those Polynesian Village logos, and the bottom of the bowl in lined with Walt Disney World 70's logos. And this is being sold at the Enchanted Tiki Room anniversary? AND they are calling it the name of a Disneyland-specific Enchanted Tiki Room tiki that doesn't even exist in Florida's attraction? (maybe at the Polynesian, but I don't see his image anywhere on this bowl).
OK, rant is done. Just had to get it off my chest...
Louis :)

Now look what you all have done, you pushed Atomobile off the deep end :lol:

...and: WHY is the Enchanted Tiki Room connected to Chip and Dale?

Louis, you are seeking reason in such folly? :D

I too think that Disney primarily has a money machine mentality. Every now and then, something cool slips through, but they don't understand why its cool - just that it makes money. Much of the previous Tiki Room stuff was cool. Trader Sam's is cool. Great. But that doesn't mean they "got" Tiki. I have it from an undisclosed source that the new person in Collectables is fine example of said money mentality, and the approach to the upcoming event seems to reflect that.

Of course, everybody is entirely free to decide where to put their money. It is all about what it is worth to YOU.

If this is ALL the 50th event merchandise, I'll go back to relishing my 45th merchandise! WOW! I'll be STUNNED if this is all the items they come up with! For example; the WONDERFUL tiki fountain they made is GREAT! The only items for me that are inticing to buy are the mugs and the Jumbo tree pin in the box!

I was excited now I am not so sure. Does anyone know what they mean by random selection process?

That was just a sampler. They're going to release more pics of additional merchandise.

I just now read more of that Disney blog & you're right, she does state that more items will be released! Yay!

I sort of agree! SHAG charges WAY too much for their merchandise & I really like the Trader Sam's merchandise a little bit more because that place has more of an adult feel to it & their stuff looks like more of the stuff that we are after and are used too. So far the stuff looks like, meh. I am still willing to check out the other stuff they come out with though.

HT

http://miehana.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/summers-coming.html

I would just like to reiterate that I look forward to this piece coming out, and think that it will be excellent to turn into a makeshift scorpion bowl.

I'm glad it's going to be open edition. I don't know why Disney has to do so much limited run merchandise. I understand that it's usually higher quality than the usual fare, but they would make more money based on quantity than making it a limited run. Yes, I know, there's something to be said about a limited edition, but so many pieces are too great to be lost to history as people who own them rarely sell. Now I'll just have to find a friend to get their hands on one for me...

M

To be released at Disneyland on June 28th for the Enchanted Tiki Room's 50th Anniversary...

The PELE Enchanted Tiki Mug (with lid)!
Cast of stoneware, 10.5 inches by 5 inches, open edition, $39.95

ALL the event merchandise is now online at Disney Parks merchandise.com! Some great items!!!

So it looks like all the mugs are open edition.

yay :)

As a side thought it would of been awesome to see someone like Eric October's work be part of this event..his black paper drawings of the Tiki Room are amazing.

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2013-04-02 12:54 ]

L

On 2013-03-04 20:32, Kilaueakyd wrote:
I was excited now I am not so sure. Does anyone know what they mean by random selection process?

I found this description of the Random Selection Process. It was written for cruise ship merchandise, but I'm sure it works the same way:
http://www.disneynow.com/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x247779117&varPage=location

So how does the open edition stuff work? Just get tickets to said event and boom? Or do you have to use the whole RSP buying system?

The Disney website that you buy your ticket from has links to schedule of events and FAQ's.

http://www.disneyparksmerchandise.com/events/save-the-date-walt-disneys-enchanted-tiki-room-50th-anniversary/?instance_id=

RSP explained on the Disneyland blog for this event. Yes, you have to go through the entire RSP process to buy something.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/02/walt-disneys-enchanted-tiki-room-50th-anniversary-event-at-the-disneyland-resort/

Here’s some detail on how the Random Selection Process Works.

RSP stands for the Random Selection Process, a computer program designed to award limited edition product to event guests based on their preferences. Normally, two RSP’s are run for each event. The Random Selection Process and complete merchandise list will be available for event guests to submit once they have registered for the event.

How does the RSP work? The RSP always starts with the first item and moves sequentially through the list of available items. It gathers all the guests that put item #1 as their first preference, randomizes the guest list and randomizes the available pieces. Next, it will match up a random guest with a random piece, continuing until it either runs out of guests or runs out of pieces. If it awards the item to every guest that put item #1 as their first preference and still has items remaining it will gather all guests that put item #1 as their second preference. It will randomize these guests and the remaining pieces and start matching again. The process continues through preference 3, 4 and so on until it either runs out of preferences or runs out of pieces. When item #1 is complete it will move to item #2 and gather all the guests that put item #2 as their first preference. The RSP is complete when it either runs out of preferences or runs out of pieces.

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-04-02 15:00 ]

As in past events (and especially with the Haunted Mansion 40th Ann. event in 2009), there was always merchandise left over after the initial event/merch. release and if it's open edition items, I know there will be a tiki merchandise display set up in either the Disney Gallery and or the Disneyana shop on Main St. like for the 45th. I'm so glad that most if not all the items I want to buy are open edition, so no need to pay to go to the event just to buy items! In fact, a YEAR after the mansion event/release, I was still finding limited edition items for sale at the gallery & Disneyana! Even the LE500 coffins!

Hey Doug Horne designed two originals & prints for this!

The pics that Doug did are very cool. He's even going to be signing his artwork at the Disneyland festivities. Maybe he will let you cut to the front of the line!

http://www.disneynow.com/accounts/register123/subaccount/merchandise/merchdlr/events/20130002/Jose%20Package_Guest_Itinerary.pdf

Artist Signings **

• Featuring Disney Design Group artists, Alex Maher and Mike Sullivan, as well as Disney inspired artists Dave Avanzino, Jody Daily, Jeremy Fulton, Doug Horne, Katie Kelly, Kevin Kidney, Noah, Robert Olszewski, SHAG, Javier Soto and Yakovetic.
C

On 2013-04-02 15:31, Enchanted Tiki Guy wrote:
As in past events (and especially with the Haunted Mansion 40th Ann. event in 2009), there was always merchandise left over after the initial event/merch. release and if it's open edition items, I know there will be a tiki merchandise display set up in either the Disney Gallery and or the Disneyana shop on Main St. like for the 45th. I'm so glad that most if not all the items I want to buy are open edition, so no need to pay to go to the event just to buy items! In fact, a YEAR after the mansion event/release, I was still finding limited edition items for sale at the gallery & Disneyana! Even the LE500 coffins!

That is reassuring to hear especially for those of us who live on the east coast and cannot make it out so easily for the event. How soon after the event do you suspect that the open edition items will be available at the Disney Gallery? Looks like a trip to Disneyland later this summer/fall will be needed.

I would think the day after the event, but not sure. I'll post if I hear anything! It worked that way with the mansion event/merch.

The Mouse denied me a press pass to cover this event, bummer. Anyone have a connection?

On 2013-04-03 12:33, chrisandsarahb wrote:
The Mouse denied me a press pass to cover this event, bummer. Anyone have a connection?

What a way to support the Tiki crowd, Disneyland!

On 2013-04-03 13:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

What a way to support the Tiki crowd, Disneyland!

Yeah! How dare they not consider posting videos on Youtube the press!

MT

Just buy a ticket like the rest of us broke bastards! :wink:

H

I don't think the Tangaroa Ru mug has been shown on TC yet, if so, my apologies...

HT

Here's all three mugs, the tiki pins are actually nice (the masks, sans other Disney charaters), the chip bowl will make a great scorpion bowl for two (I want to get my hands on one), The Shag shirt is great (also want), the small figures are great but way over priced...our very own Doug Horne makes an appearance! (Good job, Doug)
Really some great stuff, and all open edition.

Rolly Crump will also be at the festivities. More details follow according to his Facebook post.

All of the Jose Package tickets are sold out according to the Disney website!
http://www.disneyparksmerchandise.com/events/save-the-date-walt-disneys-enchanted-tiki-room-50th-anniversary/?instance_id=

Today they released pricing for the rather expensive limited edition Vinylmation figures. Prices range from $700-$2000.

The figures can be seen here.
http://www.disneynow.com//accounts/register123/subaccount/merchandise/merchdlr/events/dlrmerchtiki50th/VINYL_Customs_Website_Update.pdf

Holy expensive. I couldn't believe the pricing on the vinyl.
All in all I like some of the merch, but not all of it. Was hoping for a Shag Tiki mug too.

I believe that the vinylmation pieces are each one of a kind custom jobs. If so, thier pricing would be in line with similar "Art Toy" one of a kinds from Kidrobot, Frank Kozik, etc.

On 2013-05-15 11:17, aquaorama wrote:
I believe that the vinylmation pieces are each one of a kind custom jobs. If so, thier pricing would be in line with similar "Art Toy" one of a kinds from Kidrobot, Frank Kozik, etc.

Aquarama is correct. The vinyl pieces are very limited edition.

C

Great picture Lori

KS

Has anyone heard if they "won" the privilege to buy the mugs and bowls yet? I registered to purchase the mugs and bowls, but I haven't heard anything back yet and I see that there is someone on eBay pre-selling a mug...

Just received my confirmation today...

So what's the deal with it? Is it not open for the mugs as previously thought to be? Should I expect to bend over and take it in order to get my hands on a set of the two mugs?

KS

I don't know all of the details. I heard that it was an open edition, but when I bought my ticket to the event, it made me register what items I wanted to purchase in advance. It stated that it wasn't guaranteed that I would get anything as a computer program decided who would get what items, based on their "wish list". I don't know anything, other than that. It sounds screwy to me...

On 2013-06-05 15:27, tikijackskeleton wrote:
So what's the deal with it? Is it not open for the mugs as previously thought to be? Should I expect to bend over and take it in order to get my hands on a set of the two mugs?

Lori posted this back in April.....

On 2013-04-02 14:59, tikilongbeach wrote:
Here’s some detail on how the Random Selection Process Works.

RSP stands for the Random Selection Process, a computer program designed to award limited edition product to event guests based on their preferences. Normally, two RSP’s are run for each event. The Random Selection Process and complete merchandise list will be available for event guests to submit once they have registered for the event.

How does the RSP work? The RSP always starts with the first item and moves sequentially through the list of available items. It gathers all the guests that put item #1 as their first preference, randomizes the guest list and randomizes the available pieces. Next, it will match up a random guest with a random piece, continuing until it either runs out of guests or runs out of pieces. If it awards the item to every guest that put item #1 as their first preference and still has items remaining it will gather all guests that put item #1 as their second preference. It will randomize these guests and the remaining pieces and start matching again. The process continues through preference 3, 4 and so on until it either runs out of preferences or runs out of pieces. When item #1 is complete it will move to item #2 and gather all the guests that put item #2 as their first preference. The RSP is complete when it either runs out of preferences or runs out of pieces.

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-04-02 15:00 ]

On 2013-06-05 15:27, tikijackskeleton wrote:

Far be it from me to stand in the way of some indignation, but rest assured that the catalog listed the mugs (and many many other items) as open edition.

The RSP is all inclusive (both limited edition items and open items are part of the catalog). But they still do allow the people going to the event to register to buy what they want through the RSP and take it home with them at the same time as any of the limited items.

Heck, knowing that fact someone might even fill out their form to put limited items first and open items last, knowing the open items aren't really limited.

Chances are good that you're going to be able to remain standing when you purchase the two mugs.

kevin

I got every single thing that I had wanted on my list. I don't think it was too hard to get any of the open items...

A cast member at Disneyland told me in person last Sunday that anything that is leftover from the event should be up for sale in the Disney Gallery on Main St since Disneyana is no more (thanks a lot Starbucks!!) on Sunday June 30th! I can't wait! The open edition items should certainly be available even without attending the event or an RSP list.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies