Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Blackstrap Rum Recipes

Pages: 1 18 replies

Hey, would anyone like to share recipes involving Blackstrap Rum? I've used it for the Corn n' Oil and have searched this forum and have mainly just found Blackstrap mentioned as an accent/floater/etc. I'd like to see recipes where it's used more liberally, if that's possible (and why not?) Thanks!

I

I think there's a drink that uses Gosling's black seal and a ginger beer. Dark and Stormy, IIRC? Off the top of my head, I can't recall any other recipes that use Blackstrap or anything like it.

Personally, I like using it as a float because it's got a really nice flavor (use it in a rum and coke for example-- the difference is amazing!), but you also don't want to overdo it. I imagine part of the reason that you don't see it used a lot of other ways is because it's so strong, flavor-wise. In addition to potential issues with the rum overpowering other ingredients, it may be hard to balance the overall tone of the drink afterward.

On a tangential note, the only recipe I can think of that calls for molasses is gingerbread. Maybe ginger balances the molasses flavor really well (and that's why a dark and stormy uses ginger beer)?

A

Here's one from Cruzan itself:

''Black Strap Sour''
2 oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz lime juice
1/4 oz simple syrup

Shake with ice and pour into a glass.

Personally, I sometimes use it as one of the three rums in a Navy Grog

A few I've tried and enjoyed...

Dirt 'n' Diesel (Cale Green, Tavern Law)-
2 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
1/2 oz Fernet Branca
1/2 oz demerara syrup
1/4 oz Cynar
1/4 oz lime juice

Shake with ice, strain, lime wedge garnish.

Black Flip (Jim Meehan, PDT) -
2 oz Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (can't get that where I live, I use Young's)
1 1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1/2 oz demerara syrup
1 whole egg

Dry shake, shake with ice, strain, garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

Penguin in Bondage (don't remember where I found this one but it is tasty)-
1 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
1 oz Fernet Branca
1 oz falernum
1/3 oz (2 tsp) lime juice
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake with ice, strain over fresh ice, top with 3 oz ginger beer.

M
Murph posted on Wed, Jan 16, 2013 2:30 PM

Using Blackstrap in a Dark and Stormy is much better than the Goslings IMHO.
I use Blackstrap rum and Cock n' Bull Gingerbeer.

not a fan of blackstrap myself, much prefer gosling's or a dark jamaican. if you like blackstrap i'd say use it in any recipe calling for dark jamaican rum.

re dark and stormy- my preference is Gosling's black seal and DG brand jamaican ginger beer.

Thanks guys. Never been a fan of Goslings, so I'll definitely try subbing the blackstrap for it in the above recipes.

Top secret recipes.

http://www.alcoholdrinkrecipes.net/

[ Edited by: alcoholexpert 2013-11-12 10:10 ]

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - fixed link - 2013-11-12 18:52 ]

I will definitely give several of the recipes in this thread a spin.

90% of the Cruzan Blackstrap at home goes into Corn&Oils. Paired with good homemade Falernum I think this rum was pretty much made for this cocktail. A few years ago I was mixing up a lot of Blackstrap Mai Tais using key limes in place of Persian and Cruzan Blackstrap as one of the combo rums. Had to punch up the orgeat and/or simple to get the right balance but it made a very good Mai Tai incarnation.

This one was the winner of the Forbidden Island Cocktail Contest a few years ago and is pretty good, though I haven't made it in a couple of years.

Blackstrap Betty

• 1 ½ oz Cruzan Single Barrel
  • ½ oz lime juice
  • ½ oz Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
  • 3 oz Pineapple Juice
  • ¼ oz Koko Cream ( = Coco Lopez)
  • ¼ oz Licor 43

Blackheart's Punch (by way of Hogo's in DC and Trader Tiki), proportions guesstimate

2 oz. Blackstrap rum
1/2 oz. cinnamon syrup
1 lime
top off with Fever Tree Tonic

Juice lime and shake first three ingredients, pour into tall cocktail glass with crushed ice, top off with Fever Tree tonic water (this brand really does make a difference, IMHO). A good variant is to sub Don's Mix for the cinnamon syrup.

Cinnamon syrup is an interesting direction, though I'd imagine cutting the blackstrap 50/50 with another rum might be (even) better, will try it.

I'm not usually a fan of Blackstrap, but the tonic and cinnamon in that cut it enough to make it work, especially if you are generous with the tonic. I'll have to try your idea of going 50/50 on the rum with another non-molasses one...good idea.

I'm not usually a fan of Blackstrap, but the tonic and cinnamon in that cut it enough to make it work, especially if you are generous with the tonic. I'll have to try your idea of going 50/50 on the rum with another non-molasses one...good idea.

Corn N’ Oil all day long!

-Longboard

K

Keep these up, I like 'em.

Like the Blackheart Punch!

Blackheart's Punch is one of my newish favorites and seems to be a crowd pleaser at parties, which I was surprised to see since molasses does not seem to have many fans (myself included). Until I started mixing it up, I was pretty much at a loss for a good way to use a bottle of Blackstrap I had - now that bottle is long gone, as is the next and...

Best part is how cheap a bottle of Blackstrap is, $9 for Cruzan in Chicago. Any other brands of note?

Pages: 1 18 replies