Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SD Ohana - Meetup Group - Bali Hai

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

The SD Ohana meets the first Monday of every month to do our thing, chat, plan, share, trade, scheme, etc.

6pm is our target start time at the bar at the Bali Hai. FYI, happy hour is from 3pm to 6pm. So for those of you that want to take advantage of that, you can show up earlier to do so.

Bring your mugs and your aloha wear and get together with the Tikiphiles of San Diego.

I will be there every first Monday with Elena around 5:30. So come join the fun and bring your Ohana spirit. Spread the word...

PM me if you have any questions or suggestions.

We also have a Facebook group page you can visit at https://www.facebook.com/groups/620008348012136/

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2013-06-29 11:33 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2013-07-01 11:54 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 01:59 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2016-02-02 08:40 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2016-03-14 08:09 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2016-03-15 12:16 ]

Sounds like a great idea! I usually have to work until 8, but I can make it there around 8 since it is so close. They seat until 9 and serve until people leave which is usally 10. Will people still be there at 8? I would love to show up, but I don't want to be the only one :)

Glad to hear you peeps are showing some love for the Bali Hai
we hope to join you sometime & would be happy to see you at Don's
this is what the "Tiki Revival" is all about!
Have a great TC Monday.

T

Wow, you jumped right on that John! You can count on Michelle and Nathan to be there. See you then!

On 2013-05-22 13:45, lunavideogames wrote:
Sounds like a great idea! I usually have to work until 8, but I can make it there around 8 since it is so close. They seat until 9 and serve until people leave which is usally 10. Will people still be there at 8? I would love to show up, but I don't want to be the only one :)

Elena and I will still be there and I'm sure others will too. So, come on down.

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:00 ]

On 2013-05-22 15:22, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Glad to hear you peeps are showing some love for the Bali Hai
we hope to join you sometime & would be happy to see you at Don's
this is what the "Tiki Revival" is all about!
Have a great TC Monday.

Thanks for the support. Have to go up there and see how it's done.

Mahalo

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:00 ]

I dig this idea

MH

Derek Mitchell and myself will be there! After a day at jury duty, I'm going to need a fruity drink to unsee what I saw earlier that day.

S

I love this idea!

Z
zond2 posted on Wed, May 22, 2013 6:27 PM

We'll be at the Bali Hai this Saturday to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary. Wish we could be there for 6/3 but the drive from Casa Grande, AZ is a bit long for 2 weekends in a row (bad enough we were at TC5).

Drat! We'll probably miss this first one since we'll just be getting back from a trip that day. Looking forward to making to to some of these in the future, though.
Thanks for getting it together so quickly - this is a fun idea!

T

Sounds good. Thanks for organizing!

K

so fun to meet san diego folks at TC5! you can count on cyndelu and mark dropping by!

SK

Great idea. I'll do my best to make it out.

Nick

I will be there. I can almost taste the Mai Tai now...

Looking forward to this

This sounds awesome. We'll definitely try to be there.

Hoping to make this. We could use some organization around here. Well, at least i know I could.

On 2013-05-23 16:28, TikiAno wrote:
Sounds good. Thanks for organizing!

You bet. C u there.

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:01 ]

Make sure you pass the word…

Mahalo

Tonight is the night! Hope to see some friends at Bali Hai and drink some good drinks!

On 2013-06-03 11:00, lunavideogames wrote:
Tonight is the night! Hope to see some friends at Bali Hai and drink some good drinks!

Huzzah! See you there.

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:01 ]

Have a great TC night! stay classy San Diego!

Take Photos!

On 2013-06-03 16:39, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Take Photos!

Will do!

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:02 ]

My work gave me a four hour notice that I had to stay late for a couple hours for training. Can everybody do me a favor and post about how it wasn't that great, but has a lot of potential and will be awesome next month? Thanks. Also, High Dive bar has Tiki Tuesday tommorrow.

A

We plan to be there.

Thank you soooo much for planning this!!!!!!!!!!! Wish more would have stayed longer! I got there and there was about 12 people who I haven't met. I ordered a Navy Grog, turned around and those 12 left... Oh well... Loved hanging out with the rest of you!!! PS, I got there a little late... Oops...

T

John/ Tiki Slinger, thanks for organizing! It was great meeting everyone today, look forward to the next time around.

JT

Good times, good peeps at the meet up. See you all soon. - John, Johnny-B, jab tiki.

A

Wow, I completely messed up. I guess all the talk of "tiki Tuesdays" made me think it was tonight instead of last night. Oh well, I've put July 1 on my calendar.

Arriano, you will have to make the next one! We missed you!

Very fun monthly meet up. I got there at 8 as well, and a bunch of people had already left, but it seemed like everyone I know got there around the same time as me. It was a good turnout. Thank you to Tiki Slinger for putting this together for us! We need to keep the SD tiki crew together. It was fun meeting new people and as always, great food and drinks!

Here are some pics from my phone. I think others have some better pictures, hopefully they will make their way to this thread.

[ Edited by: Lunavideogames 2013-06-05 00:39 ]

Makin it happen! hope you cats had a good time & keep it going!

S

Sorry to have missed it ( that darn 4 letter WORK word messed up my plans). I hope to make it next time!

Well, we did it. We had a great turnout. Thanks to all that came out. Lots of new friends were made and it was good to see all our old pals too. Many traveled a fare distance to join us, thanks for making the trek.

I tried to get pictures of everyone, but I missed Steve and Anders. Sorry guys. Thanks Atomic Tiki Punk for the encouraging words, maybe we'll see you on the 1st.

We look forward to seeing those who couldn't make it last night at the next one on July 1st.

Mahalo

The Group. Mark, Jenette, Mark, Cynde, Nathan, Michelle, John, Chandelle, Elena, April, Me, David, Michelle and Derek.

Michelle and Derek.

Treg and Emily.

Derek and David.

Chandelle and John.

Michelle and Nathan.

Mark and Cynde.

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2013-07-02 00:24 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2013-07-02 07:37 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-01-06 10:45 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:02 ]

Just chiming in late to say sorry we missed this one. Looks like a great turnout, glad it was a success. We hope to be there next month!

Darn, I will be in SD in July and September but unfortunately not the first Monday of either month. Love the Bali Hai. It is my Mecca.

Let us know when you want to go. Maybe we can meet up anyway. We need more excuses to go to Bali Hai!
:)

T

That's awesome!
I was bummed that I would be missing Tiki Oasis by a few days. My family and I will be vacationing in San Diego during the first week of August, and we'll be staying just across the street at Humphry's Half Moon Inn. Thanks for filling a tiki shaped hole in my heart! See you on August 5th.

Do any of you S.D. natives know of any other tiki happenings in the area? We'll be in town from Aug 3-8. We plan on getting as far North as Trader Sam's, then heading back home to Colorado (Maybe stop at Frankie's in Vegas on the way). Any info would be greatly appreciated!

[ Edited by: TikiTie 2013-06-19 19:53 ]

Not too much tiki in SD. A few places have tiki Tuesday, High Dive, Bar Pink and Nobel Experiment.

Trader Morts and Freaky Boutiki are good stores to check out.

Also just got a hot tip from OB Tiki, Raglan in OB he's a new rum drink! There first one I wouldn't have served to my worst enemy, but this new one is from a bartender who used to work at Tikis bar and grill in Waikiki. There they have a drink called the 1944 Mai Tai. At Raglan it is called the Rum Drink 2.0. I don't want to say it is exact in fear that they might take it away from me, but it is the best Mai Tai in SD besides Bali Hai IMHO. Although, I cannot vouch for the music or menu metaphors here.

Looks like you guys had fun
Wish we were there

Jon

Oh, wow, we really liked the Tiki's 1944 Mai Tai. That would almost entice me to go to OB.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2013-06-23 18:18 ]

T

On 2013-06-23 13:33, lunavideogames wrote:
Not too much tiki in SD. A few places have tiki Tuesday, High Dive, Bar Pink and Nobel Experiment.

Trader Morts and Freaky Boutiki are good stores to check out.

Also just got a hot tip from OB Tiki, Raglan in OB he's a new rum drink! There first one I wouldn't have served to my worst enemy, but this new one is from a bartender who used to work at Tikis bar and grill in Waikiki. There they have a drink called the 1944 Mai Tai. At Raglan it is called the Rum Drink 2.0. I don't want to say it is exact in fear that they might take it away from me, but it is the best Mai Tai in SD besides Bali Hai IMHO. Although, I cannot vouch for the music or menu metaphors here.

Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely plan on going back to Trader Mort's and Freaky Boutiki again. I've been to Bar Pink before and, between the drinks, the crowd, and the band, I had a great time. Now, here's a loaded question... Are High Dive and Noble Experiment "fun"? What I mean to say is are they frat boy/Jimmy Buffet bars or pretentious cocktail snobs, respectively? Not to be an unyielding tiki purist, but I'll only be in town for 1 Tuesday, and I wouldn't mind going back to Bar Pink if it is the best choice.

Just my opinion but...

Bar Pink is my favorite of the 3. Although I haven't been to the High Dive on a Tuesday yet, but people seem to like it. Nobel Experiment definitely caters to hipsters, but they have guest bartenders from some cool places from time to time. You might want to check out who the guest might be that week.

As far as drinks go, I would say Nobel Experiment is the best choice. At Bar Pink it depends who is bartending for drink quality. Nobel Experiment seems to have a large drink menu, and most that I tried were good. The crowd seems to just drink beers, although they just started the tiki Tuesday, so it may bring in a different crowd as it evolves.

None are very tiki, but Bar Pink usually has some good bands to go along with your drinks. High Dive also has a pinball tournament, so they have a lot of vintage pinball machines, but that is not tiki either.

I hope that helps. At least you have some information to better form your own opinion. Have a great time in SD!

One week til the next Monday night meet up! Hope to see some friends and new faces!

SK

TikiTie,

My limited Tiki drink experiences at the High Dive and Bar Pink have not been that great. I really like both of these places and dig the vibe and feel of both. I’m pretty sure you can get mugs at both and at the high dive you can also get a Ballast Point mug. If at the High Dive I’d take advantage of the killer beer selection. Lots of good local brews there.

I typically only hit the Tiki Tuesday at Bar Pink when Secret Samurai is playing.
Waang’s is located around the corner from Bark Pink and has a cool mug if they are still available and I liked their Tiki style drink too.

If you like beer, San Diego is a great beer town. I’d recommend doing some tastings at some breweries if possible. While on shelter Is. You can walk down to Fathom, the beer joint on the fishing pier. It’s a fun little place to get a beer and explodo dog.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.
SK

Sofa King,
Have you seen this yet? You should sue... :)

Bamalamalu,
Here is the Raglan "rum drink" in all its glory. Even down to the passion fruit froth. I want to go get one right now...

T

On 2013-06-23 18:05, bamalamalu wrote:
Oh, wow, we really liked the Tiki's 1944 Mai Tai. That would almost entice me to go to OB.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2013-06-23 18:18 ]

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies